Pokemon White no EXP playthrough log

dondon151

I have a bunch of money right now. 92442 yen plus unsold vitamins and stuff like Stardust (although granted, were I to buy a TM like Thunder or Fire Blast, a huge portion of it would be gone). I would use Rare Candies if they're useful (e.g. I catch a wild Pokemon 1 level away from evolving), but it generally doesn't make enough of a difference to one's stats unless you use like 5 of them at once.

If there are any good moves that you're just a level away from, they might be worth using.

Even when I do stuff normally, I find I need a bunch of money for stuff like (Super/Hyper) Potion, various balls, and Full Heals. With this kind of run, I'd thought you'd need it more.

It'll be interesting to see if you can make use of Rare Candies.

Route 7 (7番道路)

Nothing new to do here. I make my way to the northeast part of the map.

Neji Mountain (ネジ山)

As expected, right before climbing up the long staircase, Cheren challenges me to another battle. His first Pokemon is a level 33 Kenhorou, which suffers the same fate as the rest of the Pokemon in the Fukiyose City gym. Next is a level 35 Chaobuu, easily 2HKO'd by Emonga's Acrobat. Third is a level 33 Reparudasu, which didn't have enough Atk to 2HKO Shikijika with Fake Out + Assurance and received a critical hit Jump Kick that resulted in an OHKO. Last is a level 33 Yanakki (ヤナッキ), OHKO'd by a critical hit Acrobat from Emonga. An easy battle.

Afterwards, a guy with fiery hair (the same as before) jumps down from a cliff and nonchalantly offers me HM03, Surf. A forced battle with a hiker proceeds, and although his level 34 Gantoru and level 34 Dotekkotsu (ドテッコツ) are easily 2HKO'd by Shikijika and Emonga, respectively, Shikijika takes over 50% HP from Gantoru's Knock Down. Their Sturdy ability is a pain in the ass because even if I could OHKO them, they would still survive with 1 HP and get in an attack. Once inside the mountain itself, I unexpectedly see Cheren and Yaakon speaking to each other. Exiting to the east brings me to an open location with suspended pathways.

From the exit, there is a Revive to the north and a Full Heal to the east, as well as another cave entrance. In this cave, the middle north exit leads to nothing but a trainer battle, and the far east exit actually lets me progress. This leads to yet another cave entrance - to the far east is a Moon Stone, but to progress, I go down the stairs to a passageway. There is a cluster of mounds directly south of the entryway; the rightmost mound has a Stardust. The exit here is to the west. Directly above this exit is a Full Restore. This walkway is symmetrical about the vertical axis, and there is another entryway on the west side, with an Ether located above it.

Here, there is a path leading directly north to a Nugget. In the northwestern corner of this area, there is a PP Up, but I must fight a hiker with a level 35 Doryuuzu to get it. An exit is in the northeast. On this section of walkway, the middle entrance is the one that I want to go into. Going straight north requires a battle with a hiker, and I enter an area with a fork in the path. To the left is just an Ultra Ball. Along the path heading south, the bottom mound has a hidden trainer battle.

I exit to an open area, and head over to a doorway over on the right. Inside this cave, I spot Cheren confronting a Plasma grunt. I follow them out to the east and Araragi (the guy) greets me.

Sekka City (セッカシティ)

Nothing special to do here. I need it to be winter, so I manipulate my system clock and enter and exit a building. There is a Rare Candy accessible on the west side of the city. I stop by the Pokemon Center and head out the north.

Ryuurazen Tower (リュウラゼンの塔)

Since it's winter, a snow bank allows me to walk up to the patch of 2v2 grass. My first battle is against a level 34 Mebukijika (メブキジカ) and a level 37 Tsunbeaa (ツンベアー) - Zeburaika and Emonga 2HKO Mebukijika immediately, but Tsunbeaa refused to go into a Poke Ball even when paralyzed at 1 HP (literally). It managed to KO all of my Pokemon except for Shinboraa before I finally caught it in a Dusk Ball. After healing my Pokemon, I also catch a level 37 Kojofuu (コジョフー) to assist with the gym. There is also an easily accessible Nugget.

Sekka City (セッカシティ)

With Kojofuu in tow, it's time to take on the Sekka City gym! Mook trainer Pokemon are completely OHKO'd by any of Kojofuu's Fighting attacks (Force Palm, Drain Punch, Jump Kick); the only worrisome opponents are Furiijios (フリージオ), who are incredibly close to OHKOing with Ice Beam. The gym leader, Hachiku (ハチク), is about as much of a pushover as Fuuro - his level 37 Banipucchi (バニプッチ) is OHKO'd by Jump Kick, his level 39 Tsunbeaa is 2HKO'd by Drain Punch, and his level 37 Furiijio is OHKO'd by pretty much anything. Hachiku gives me TM79, Ice Breath (こおりのいぶき) upon defeat.

Upon exiting the gym, I engage in a conversation with Beru and Cheren. Hachiku walks in later and the 4 of us are accosted by N's ninjas, who inform us that they're doing something to the Ryuurazen Tower.

Party Pokemon:
Pokemon      Lv. Nature   HP  Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
Shinboraa     20 Naive     61  34  39  47  34  53
Shikijika     28 Naive     74  41  39  27  36  56
Emonga        30 Lax       79  56  55  56  42  72
Zeburaika     33 Serious   96  74  47  67  47  87
Tsunbeaa      37 Brave    123 105  75  61  72  37
Kojofuu       37 Lax       86  73  50  50  40  60

Ryuurazen Tower (リュウラゼンの塔)

A scripted conversation triggers when I approach Araragi. At the end of this conversation, I'm handed an Old Gateau... not exactly a fitting present for the current circumstances. There is a bridge leading into a hole in the wall of the tower now, making it accessible.

The first floor is straightforward - there are stairs in the northeast corner. The tower will shake and a thought runs across the screen before reaching the stairs. On the second floor, Cheren is standing on a ledge to the west and calls out once I enter the map. There is a Hyper Potion in the northeast corner and a Stardust on a pillar. With Strength, I can push in the boulder and access the west stairs directly, but I can also go the long way around by going up a fallen pillar.

The following area has a puzzle that reminds me of the Tin Tower from gen 2. At the path split, the bottom ramp leads to the next staircase that winds to the next area. Cheren and Hachiku are engaged in battles with Plasma grunts. I only have to battle the ones to the south. Plasma grunts have almost exclusively Normal or Dark type Pokemon, which are OHKO'd easily by any of Kojofuu's attacks. Drain Punch also meant that I did not need to use potions to heal in the case where opponents struck first. I also notice at this point that Kojofuu has Inner Focus, which is useful in saving time against Reparudasu's Fake Outs. I pick up a Dragon Fang along the way and head on to the next map.

This map looks kind off cool. It's a series of concentric circles; I head to the right and cross a bridge inwards. To the right, I can find a Stardust; to the left is a Star Piece. Either direction can take me to the next 2 inward facing bridges. On the innermost circle, going to the right is the correct option. The outward bridges are easy; there is a Revive along the path of a small detour. The stairs take me to the next floor.

Almost immediately upon entering the map, the building shakes again. The floor plan here is simple; I grab a Max Elixir and walk in on Jaro (ジャロ), who seems to be a Plasma sage, rallying some grunts. I am surrounded by 4 grunts, and I have to battle them 1 by 1. Not really much of a challenge, considering Kojofuu destroys them all... except for a Yabukuron (should have taught Kojofuu Dig beforehand).

Upon reaching the last map in the tower, cue a cutscene of N and Reshiram (レシラム) in 3D. N flies off on Reshiram and Cheren and Hachiku lead me back down to the entrance. Long conversation, but I have to go to Kodai no Shiro next, so I hop on Shinboraa and fly to Raimon City.

Kodai no Shiro (古代の城)

The guy that blocked my way to the stairs before (when I got the fossil) no longer prevents me from progressing. I descend the stairs and am immediately confronted by a man named Ryokushi (リョクシ), who looks like a Plasma sage. After a forced battle with a Plasma grunt, I get sucked into a quicksand pit to the floor below. Right next to my drop point is a Full Restore. The stairs across the first quicksand pit lead to the exit; the second grunt on this floor has a level 36 Dasutodasu (ダストダス). Across the second quicksand pit is TM30, Shadow Ball. I fall into said pit to another floor beneath me.

South of the first Plasma grunt is a Max Revive. Past the second grunt and the southwest quicksand pit is a PP Up; I fall into said quicksand pit. On this level, I walk out my Super Repel and catch a level 36 Desukaan (デスカーン), to whom I immediately teach Shadow Ball and Will-o-Wisp. I have to fight 2 Plasma grunts in quick succession to the west in order to drop down yet another quicksand pit, this time viewing a cutscene with Geechisu, Cheren, and Adeku (アデク). We exit the place, and Araragi contacts me over the Livecaster. I'm informed that I need to head over to Shippou City.

Shippou City (シッポウシティ)

Beru, Adeku, and the Araragis are waiting in front of the Shippou City gym. Aloe comes out and also joins us in conversation, then hands me a Dark Stone (ダークストーン). Everyone leaves, and I head back to Sekka City.

Route 8 (8番道路)

Nothing of note here, but right before I try to enter the bridge entrance, Beru challenges me to a battle. First is a level 38 Muurando (ムーランド), who, after an Intimidate, survives 2 Jump Kicks from Kojofuu. However, she'll use Cheer Up once or twice before attacking, which gives me 2 chances to paralyze with Force Palm and KO. Next is a level 38 Mushaana, essentially hard countered by Desukaan, 2HKO'd by Shadow Ball while 3HKO'd in return by Psybeam. I force Beru to use both of her Full Restores on Mushaana before it faints. Next is a level 38 Baokki (バオッキ) - I don't have a hard counter, but Desukaan is roughly 6HKO'd by Flame Burst (はじけるほのお) and 3HKOs with Shadow Ball in return. Last is a level 40 Daikenki (ダイケンキ), whom I burn immediately and chip away at with Zeburaika. I get a Max Potion as a reward. Admitedly, this wasn't as easy of a battle as the previous ones.

Cylinder Bridge (シリンダーブリッジ)

My computer doesn't handle the graphics here well. Near the end of the bridge, N's ninjas apprehend me. Nothing really happens, though. I exit the bridge otherwise unmolested.

Route 9 (9番道路)

Someone grows an exclamation point on his head when I enter the map. There is a department store along the route (Colorful & Wonderful Life Shopping Center!), but there is hardly anything that I would want aside from maybe X items.

Souryuu City (ソウリュウシティ)

Adeku is waiting along the path leading into the city and leads me to a Team Plasma gathering. After they leave, Iris (アイリス) and Shaga (シャガ) lead me to a building in which we talk about Zekrom (ゼクロム) and Reshiram. Once the conversation is finished, I head out and make directly for the gym. It is directly north of the fountain in the town. Right before entering, I teach Ice Breath to Tsunbeaa.

The gym here is easy, though not quite as painless as the last 2, because Tsunbeaa doesn't outspeed anything. He does, however, cleanly OHKO every mook trainer Pokemon with an Icicle Drop (つららおとし) except for Kurimugans (クリムガン). I use an Ether on Icicle Drop so that I won't have to retreat to the Pokemon Center midway through the gym.

Tsunbeaa started missing OHKOs on Iris's level 41 Onondo (オノンド), but it forced her to use both of her Hyper Potions. Against her level 41 Kurimugan, I sacrifice Emonga for a free Thunder Wave and get a critical hit Electra Ball (エレキボール) on a full paralysis, which was enough for Tsunbeaa to freely finish the KO. Against her level 43 Ononokusu, I send out Desukaan and burn it and curse it while it DDs up. With all of the residual damage, it's KO'd without me even landing a single attack (Icicle Drop missed). Upon defeat, Iris gives me TM82, Dragon Tail (ドラゴンテール).

The moment that I leave the gym, Araragi leads me to the exit to Route 10 and hands me a Master Ball. With it in hand, I want to go catch Kobaruon (コバルオン) to make endgame significantly easier. I teach Surf and Strength to Tsunbeaa and Flash to Shinboraa and make my way back to Fukiyose Cave.

Party Pokemon:
Emonga        30 Lax       79  56  55  56  42  72
Zeburaika     33 Serious   96  74  47  67  47  87
Tsunbeaa      37 Brave    123 105  75  61  72  37
Kojofuu       37 Lax       86  73  50  50  40  60
Desukaan      36 Calm      92  46 110  74  90  36

Fukiyose Cave (フキヨセの洞穴)

I wind through the cave, avoiding trainers along the way. Nothing special. I pick up TM80, Rock Slide, after a small detour.

Friend Room (導の間)

And old man talks to me for a long time. I have to listen to his story about the legendary Pokemon, or else I can't progress. There is a Rare Candy along the way to Kobaruon. Because of its obscenely low catch rate, I immediately use the Master Ball on it. After the battle, the old man talks to me about the other 2 Pokemon... I don't really care at this point, though. I use an Escape Rope to leave the cave and make a temporary detour to Raimon City.

Raimon City (ライモンシティ)

At the Pokemon Center, I buy TM16, Light Screen, and TM33, Reflect. I also head back to Route 7 to pick up TM81, X-Scissor, which I had forgotten about earlier. With this in hand, I teach Reflect and Cheer Up to Kobaruon. I am pretty much all set at this point to continue.

Route 10 (10番道路)

Cheren challenges me to a battle as I attempt to cross the bridge. He leads with a level 43 Kenhorou - Tsunbeaa gets an easy 2HKO with Icicle Drop. Next is a level 45 Enbuoo (エンブオー), who is a huge pain to defeat. Desukaan survives a Flamethrower and sacrifices itself to use Curse. Zeburaika and Shinboraa sacrifice themselves for residual damage and let Kobaruon come in for the KO. Kobaruon proceeds to sweep Cheren's level 43 Yanakkii and Reparudasu. Cheren heals my Pokemon after the battle (good thing he does) and Beru gives me a Max Revive as a gift.

In the nearby 2v2 grass, I catch a level 39 Haaderia and evolve it immediately with a Rare Candy. Continuing onwards, the gates are pretty nifty. I don't quite understand the point of them, though, considering that, unlike in Kanto, you wouldn't be able to get to this area without having first acquired all of the badges anyway.

Victory Road (チャンピオンロード)

There is a mandatory battle with an Elite Trainer (she has a level 45 Erufuun and a level 45 Zeburaika), but the rest of the trainers here are avoidable. I pick up a Rare Candy along the way and do a bit of backtracking once I get to the end of Victory Road to get TM02, Dragon Claw. I would have actually liked to get both TM02 and TM93, Wild Bolt, for Zekrom, as Cross Thunder only has 5 PP, but it would take too long and the benefit would be minimal. Along the way, I also capture a level 41 Aianto (アイアント) and a level 40 Koromori. It's too bad that Koromori doesn't evolve by level, as Kokoromori's higher Spe would be useful, but oh well.

I'm informed by Colonel M that the player isn't given the opportunity to teach any moves to Zekrom, which means that getting TM02 is for naught. Oh well.

Pokemon League Preparations

A rather short checklist:

- have 30 Hyper Potions

- have 20 Full Restores

- have 15 Revives

- have 30 X Attacks

- have 10 X Speeds

- have 20 X Defends

- have 20 X Sp. Defs

- have 10 X Accuracies

- have 10 Dusk Balls

Most of these items are in great excess, but I still have a good chunk of cash left over. I also teach Koromori Reflect and Light Screen, and Aianto X-scissor. By the way, X items are sold on the top floor of the Route 9 store, by the person on the right. Finally, I dump my 4 remaining Rare Candies on Aianto.

Pokemon League (ポケモンリーグ)

First up is Shikimi (シキミ). I sacrifice Koromori to Desukaan in order to set up a Light Screen that Aianto can stall behind for 4 turns while it powers up. +3 Crunch with Hustle from Aianto OHKOs Desukaan, but Mummy nullifies Hustle afterwards. +3 Crunch without Hustle OHKOs Shandera (シャンデラ), and Aianto is burned by Flame Body. After a Full Restore, it also OHKOs Goruugu (ゴルーグ) and Burungeru (ブルンゲル). Easy battle; Aianto did not even need an X Speed.

Next up is Giima (ギーマ). I don't bother setting up screens here, as Zuruzukin (ズルズキン) would immediately wreck them with a Brick Break. I immediately go for the KO with Iron Head, as Zuruzukin's Sand Attack is an annoyance - I should have purchased a Guard Spec. to counteract this. Aianto just misses the 2HKO, but I get a flinch. Warubiaru (ワルビアル) switches in and puts me at -1 Atk - I get Aianto to +2 Def with X Defends (to make Earthquake a 4HKO); it then OHKOs with a critical hit X-scissor. After Giima sends in Reparudasu, I restore Aianto's Atk to 0 and proceed to OHKO with X-scissor. Aianto being a female was beneficial as it prevents Attract from working, but it's not a big deal anyway because Reparadasu can't do any damage to Aianto and is OHKO'd back. It also 2HKOs Kirikizan (キリキザン) with Dig.

Third up is Katorea (カトレア). Aianto does not like special attacks, even if they're resisted, so Koromori sacrifices itself to set up a Light Screen. An X Sp. Def allows Aianto to survive 3 of Rankurusu's (ランクルス) Focus Blasts behind a Light Screen. An X Speed allows it to outspeed Shinboraa (it's faster than Warubiaru, who outsped Aianto in the previous battle). At +1 Atk, Aianto OHKOs Rankurusu, Gochiruzeru (ゴチルゼル), and Mushaana with X-Scissor, and OHKOs Shinboraa with Crunch.

Last is Renbu (レンブ). His Nageki annoyingly uses Level Ground instead of Mountain Storm against Aianto, which destroys my hopes at outspeeding anything - this is another reason to get Guard Spec. +1 Iron Head 2HKOs Nageki, and I get Aianto to +2 Def to sponge Stone Edges (although the 1/8 critical hit chance is worrisome). Iron Head is an OHKO on Dageki, but Sturdy allows it to survive, so I weaken it with Crunch first and then KO. Roobushin (ローブシン) uses Hammer Arm and becomes slower than -2 Spe Aianto after 1 Spe drop, and Iron Head 2HKOs. +1 Iron Head OHKOs Kojondo (コジョンド).

I'm told to go underground, where I then climb a long series of stairs (this doesn't really make sense, but...). I walk to see N defeating Adeku. A long cutscene initiates and N's Castle rises out of the ground. 14 staircases emerge from the sides of the building and converge to the same place... talk about redundant. I walk into a room with 6 Plasma Sages, and all of a sudden a slew of gym leaders arrive to assist? This doesn't make sense... There are a whole slew of pointless rooms here, but eventually I get to a room where N is sitting upon a throne. Cue cutscene where N summons Reshiram; cue another cutscene where the Dark Stone summons Zekrom.

Party Pokemon:
Kobaruon      42 Bashful  138  84 114  81  75 108
Muurando      40 Naughty  126  93  77  45  74  70
Aianto        45 Careful  114 115 113  54  61 112
Koromori      40 Calm      95  38  49  56  48  74

Edited by dondon151

N's Castle (Nの城)

Zekrom is surprisingly easy to catch. I teach Muurando Thunder Wave beforehand to paralyze it, then whittled it down with the other Pokemon and caught it in 2 Dusk Balls. N heals my Pokemon and the penultimate battle commences! Since I had an open slot in my party, Zekrom is automatically moved to the lead position. I take the opportunity against N's Reshiram to setup Zekrom to +2 Atk, +1 Spe, 3HKO it with Dragonbreath, and then sweep with boosted Cross Thunders. Easy battle.

Geechisu is the last trainer that I have to face before the credits roll. I start off the battle with a fresh team again (Team Plasma just doesn't want to win). I'm not given the opportunity to switch Pokemon, so Zekrom leads, and I sacrifice Shinboraa to get a free switch to Koromori. Koromori sets up a Light Screen and is OHKO'd by Desukaan's Shadow Ball, but it gives Aianto 4 safe turns of setup. With +2 SpDef, +6 Atk, and +1 Spe, Aianto proceeded to OHKO the rest of Geechisu's Pokemon, with the exception of Baffuron (バッフロン), who survived a +6 Iron Head with a sliver of HP and KO'd itself from Wild Bolt recoil.

Party Pokemon:
Kobaruon      42 Bashful  138  84 114  81  75 108
Muurando      40 Naughty  126  93  77  45  74  70
Aianto        45 Careful  114 115 113  54  61 112
Koromori      40 Calm      95  38  49  56  48  74
Zekuromu      50 Naughty  164 181 137 131  99  98

Final time: 10:18

Edited by dondon151

Most of the improvements are in the speedrun plan, but the big ones are:

- Pick up fewer items

- Do not catch Shinboraa, a second Meguroko, Kobaruon, and Haaderia

- Use the Pokemon Center less

- Avoid all optional trainer battles

N's Castle (Nの城)

Zekrom is surprisingly easy to catch. I teach Muurando Thunder Wave beforehand to paralyze it, then whittled it down with the other Pokemon and caught it in 2 Dusk Balls.

This is because you're forced to capture it. Killing it nets no EXP and doesn't make him go away. Also, it doesn't matter if Zekrom/Reshiram is first in your party, you will always send it out first against N's dragon, if it's in your party.

This is because you're forced to capture it. Killing it nets no EXP and doesn't make him go away. Also, it doesn't matter if Zekrom/Reshiram is first in your party, you will always send it out first against N's dragon, if it's in your party.

I am well aware of the fact that Zekrom is easy to catch. I had considerably more difficulty catching Tsunbeaa, who has a higher catch rate, so I expected Zekrom to be about the same, but it only required 2 Dusk Balls.

Also, Zekrom is moved to the first slot in your party because you're forced to send it out first against Geechisu as well.