Remaking the Thracia Translation Patch

General Banzai

Changing characters' names from what the players are already used to is pointless, specially if the translation is by fans.

If we're "used to" something exceedingly retarded (e.g. Yurius), maybe we should suck it up and relearn it. Not saying that applies to all or even most of the names in FE5, but familiarity is a bad argument if the familiar is egregiously wrong.

There's nothing sacred about names just because we're used to them. I'm sure there was some grousing over Jagen too, but people get used to it eventually. They just get used to it faster in the case of Shadow Dragon because being official eliminates the reactionary comfort zone clinginess we use whenever something is changed to something we don't like (or aren't accustomed to); you can't as easily say "yeah well it's not like he's King Nintendo, so I will continue pretending it's (favored translation)" about an official translator. Had Jeigan always been written Jagen in FE's English-speaking fanbase, nobody would've had any issue with it; hell, had it been "Jaigen" then the removal of the "i" probably would've been received with no interest of any kind and a disinterested shrug. Had it always been something dumb like Jaygein, would we be kicking and screaming to insist it stay that way?

Plus nobody is stopping anybody from using whatever translation they're comfortable with when discussing it elsewhere. There's several characters whose names come up differently depending on who happens to be posting. If you don't like the names used in the patch you can just ignore them, much as people playing the existing FE5 patch just ignore some of the stupid meme dialogue that's only in a handful of places when discussing the game. Since most people are familiar with certain names, you have that weight of momentum on your side.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who are you to say what exactly is the "full experience" in english

the experience with the "better" names will be exactly the same as the experience with the "worse" names because they're names.

I am not talking about names at present.

I am talking about the need for dialogue to not just mechanically convey a plot, but to be well-written to convey the full story experience.

I have a couple other things I'd like someone (TheEnd perhaps?) to check in the original Japanese.

1. Chapter 2x, in the after-battle cutscene.

Leaf:

"Oh, right... You were Linoan's friend. You were the bishop's daughter, weren't you?"

Saphy:

"I couldn't be her friend... Lady Linoan is the daughter of the duke of Tahra. I am but her servant."

I assume here that Leaf brings up that Saphy is the bishop's daughter because of some sort of class difference (which explains why Saphy and Linoan couldn't be friends). There are two things I need checked here. One is the specific term "bishop". I know that Japanese translations for priests and such aren't always exact and I have a feeling that Bishop is the wrong term being used here, as in most other uses of the word "Bishop" refers to someone of high class or standing (see Bishop Cyas) and thus doesn't make sense why Saphy and Linoan couldn't be friends. Secondly I'd like to see if the original Japanese makes more explicit the class barrier issue, because as it stands it must be inferred and the entire "You were the bishop's daughter" doesn't seem to fit with what comes before and after it.

2. Chapter 2x, in the cutscene before Turn 2.

Lifis:

"I know. I only said that to make that girl mine. There's no way I'm going to Tahra. Shiva, that bastard! He's just a mercenary, so where does he get that soft spot of his?"

There seems to be no transition from talking about Saphy to talking about Shiva. In fact, according to the translation, Shiva's name isn't even mentioned before this (he shows up but is unnamed), so anyone reading this would not only be confused as to who Shiva is but also as to why Rifis brings him up here. My assumption is that Rifis is referring to Shiva's previous threat that Rifis not touch Saphy, but it seems like a strange leap for Rifis to take mid-line.

3. Chapter 2, the pre-battle cutscene.

August:

"Lifis is going overboard... Of course I'll no longer need him once I find the prince. Well… What to do now? I suppose I should let my master know of this matter."

Does August ever explain exactly why he needs Rifis in order to find the prince? My assumption is he was having Rifis torture people in order to get information on the prince's whereabouts (and then Rifis decided to turn that information to the Empire instead of August), but the translation here isn't exactly clear on that.

4. Chapter 14, the cutscene before the NPC Wyverns show up.

Trabant:

"No. Tahra isn't strong enough to help us defeat the Empire. Do you remember the battle at Melghen Valley? We lost to the Empire even with the help of both Northern and Southern Thracia."

Arione:

"That was because of Reidric's betrayal..."

All other references to "Leidrick's betrayal" indicate that he betrayed the Northern Thracia alliance AGAINST Southern Thracia, rather than betraying a combined North/South Thracia Alliance to the Empire. In fact I can't seem to find any other reference to a battle at Melghen Valley; the battle where Leidrick betrayed the alliance was the Battle of River Thracia, which is located south of Conote, on the opposite side of the map from Melghen. Something seems to have been lost in translation here.

EDIT:

5. Chapter 4, opening cutscene.

Reidric:

"Hahaha... Now this is bound to get me a promotion. Dalshin! Don't let that boy escape until the people from Conort come to retrieve him!"

Does he really say "get me a promotion"?

I'll put up more as I get them.

Edited by General Banzai

Banzai, you need to learn the language if you're going to proof the text in this manner. This isn't editing any longer. You're trying to get at what the text means to you (and locate whether it makes as much sense as FireLizard's), not polishing the text existent.

Banzai, you need to learn the language if you're going to proof the text in this manner. This isn't editing any longer. You're trying to get at what the text means to you (and locate whether it makes as much sense as FireLizard's), not polishing the text existent.

Well, as was already made clear by the first sentence of the translation, FireLizard made clear translational errors, attributing "taking over Northern Thracia" to Leaf, rather than the Grandbell Empire. Of course it's impossible for me to see everywhere else he made mistakes, but I may be able to point out some of them because of inconsistencies, absurdities, etc.

EDIT: See, thanks to TheEnd, I know the translations are accurate and thus won't change them.

Edited by General Banzai

I'd like to say again that Firelizard is more qualified than I (and probably most in this forum) could ever hope to be, being a native Japanese and fluent English speaker. Readily presuming he blundered it just because a sentence doesn't seem direct enough is ludicrous.

I'd like to say again that Firelizard is more qualified than I (and probably most in this forum) could ever hope to be, being a native Japanese and fluent English speaker. Readily presuming he blundered it just because a sentence doesn't seem direct enough is ludicrous.

Well having a blunder in the first sentence at least implies that there was no serious proofreading effort going on. I'm not doubting his ability, just that he didn't make (perhaps numerous) mistakes.

I've made a table file for Shaya's patch. The table is not complete, but who knows if it's useful to someone who decides to give this a go :)

Change the extension to .tbl in order to use itt776.txt

edit: also, the table is only for dialogue text

Edited by Quirino

6. Chapter 7, Conversation between Finn and Nanna.

Nanna:

"No, I'm fine. Eyvel protected me..."

Finn:

"I see... I wouldn't know what to say to that person if something had happened to you..."

Who is "that person"? I can't tell if it's referring to Eyvel or someone else (Lachesis?).

6. Chapter 7, Conversation between Finn and Nanna.

Nanna:

"No, I'm fine. Eyvel protected me..."

Finn:

"I see... I wouldn't know what to say to that person if something had happened to you..."

Who is "that person"? I can't tell if it's referring to Eyvel or someone else (Lachesis?).

Why are you even trying to "fix" this translation if you aren't familiar enough with the story to be able to tell that?

What's more of an issue is that, at least in English, that line sounds absurd. It can be inferred that Fin is, indeed, referring to Lachesis, but there is no apparent reason for why a father talking to his daughter is referring to her mother as "that person".

Maybe it sounds more natural or is somehow more typical in the original Japanese while still translating that way literally, but that doesn't change the issues here.

It's supposed to be ambiguous. My guess is that Fin says あの人 in the Japanese script which is like, the most ambiguous way to refer to someone...

It's supposed to be ambiguous. My guess is that Fin says あの人 in the Japanese script which is like, the most ambiguous way to refer to someone...

Then if it is the intention of the translation to keep the ambiguity, it must find a way to do so that sounds natural enough in English. The current translation of the line does not do that.

Then if it is the intention of the translation to keep the ambiguity, it must find a way to do so that sounds natural enough in English. The current translation of the line does not do that.

oh really

because general banzai seemed to think that it was pretty damn ambiguous

:V

Currently I'm changing it to "I wouldn't know what to say to her..."

The her is still ambiguous but it seems like something somebody may actually say.

And then it stops being ambiguous and starts referring to Eyvel, who was referenced earlier in that dialogue?

for all we know fin could be referring to beowolf

A valid option indeed, as they were war comrades and stuff

And Nanna is canonically Beowulf's daughter, after all