Caelin's map makes sense... maybe?

ruadath

Since there are (unfortunately) many inconsistencies in this game (such as the name and gender of Florina's Pegasus), and since there are two maps fought in Caelin (Chapter 10 and 15E/16H), I wondered if the game designers had the foresight to make the two maps consistent with respect to the geography around Castle Caelin... and it turns out they did (just barely)!

For reference, here are the two maps:

oJTLZAr.png

W0EQZ9D.png

Notice that the overlap of the two maps, highlighted by the red square agree, including the mountain formations in the upper-left corner!

I am, however, somewhat concerned about where the river in the Chapter 10 map end up, but perhaps they just flow around the region, or something? At least we the mountain range from above Caelin castle being completed to the west in the Chapter 16 map.

Edited by ruadath

You could probably start a blog with posts like these, since it's geared more towards observation than discussion.

Anyway, there's a one-tile gap between the red square and the river, so perhaps the river flows due south, then turns to the east. What doesn't make sense is that random cliff on Eliwood's map.

So, I did a bit of editing myself. The square marker's a little odd, but if the two pictures are joined at the castle (maps cropped because the only part that interests me is the river/cliff):

BVMOKqa.png

Waterfall theory is probably correct. IIRC, Lyn started from Sacae, while Eliwood started from Pherae, which would probably explain the different angles the map has.

Edited by eggclipse

Just checked that out and you're definitely correct. On the other hand, FE6 Chapter 14 and FE7 Chapter 22E/23H (the Nabata desert chapters), have structural similarities in their maps but don't overlap perfectly. I guess we can account for that by saying the sandstorm in FE6 (or in general just sandstorms over time) altered the map a little bit? If you compare some of the features of the map, you'll see that if definitely looks as though it could have once been the same place.