Sequel Possibly in Development?

It was recently revealed by the good people of Persona Central that Avex Group is currently holding auditions for someone to become a new talent at their agency. While that itself isn't unusual, the participants are required to perform a song from Tokyo Mirage Sessions and will be judged by Mamori's voice actress and #FE composer Yoshiaki Fujisawa among others. In addition, the winner will be given a chance to voice a character in an unannounced RPG.

While I don't normally like to speculate about things that are flimsy at best, there are a few signs pointing towards something TMS#FE related. Of course this could also be coincidence and be a totally unrelated RPG venture.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, I'm also inclined to think this is #FE related, seeing the elements presented here.

If this ends up being true, I would be pleasantly surprised since the game was critically very well received, but didn't really sell well at all (I expect the same reception here in the West). But then again, if I remember correctly, they wanted to start a new series of game with this collaboration, so that would make sense, Nintendo could use some more traditional JRPGs.

Would they really make a sequel? I thought the game flopped commercially while pretty vocal aspects of both fanbases were grumpy about the setting as well. And that's on the Japanese side, who knows how bad its going to perform in a western market that isn't very fond of high schools and idols.

Yeah, what Etrurian Emperor said. I highly doubt there's going to be a sequel for exactly the reasons he stated. However, if Atlus is trying to make a proper crossover of these franchises, with FE reps that AREN'T just Archanea/Ylisse characters, I'd be interested. TMS#FE completely ignores the existence of most FE games and popular FE characters like Ike (and going by Smash and recent polls I've seen, Roy, Lyn, and Ephraim). And this idol/modern Tokyo setting does not fit the idea of an FE crossover at all.

Would they really make a sequel? I thought the game flopped commercially while pretty vocal aspects of both fanbases were grumpy about the setting as well. And that's on the Japanese side, who knows how bad its going to perform in a western market that isn't very fond of high schools and idols.

It's still a rumor for now, but Nintendo already funded games in a similar situation before if I'm not mistaken. Also as I said, them getting more JRPG wouldn't hurt. But as much as it would please me, I remain skeptical for the reasons you stated too.

Yeah, what Etrurian Emperor said. I highly doubt there's going to be a sequel for exactly the reasons he stated. However, if Atlus is trying to make a proper crossover of these franchises, with FE reps that AREN'T just Archanea/Ylisse characters, I'd be interested. TMS#FE completely ignores the existence of most FE games and popular FE characters like Ike (and going by Smash and recent polls I've seen, Roy, Lyn, and Ephraim). And this idol/modern Tokyo setting does not fit the idea of an FE crossover at all.

I see them picking only characters from Akaneia as a starting point, since Marth's games and Awakening are pretty significant for the FE series. I would like to see characters from other games too, Tellius and Elibe would be nice, but I can understand why they tried to focus only on characters from these games for the game. Also, I want to remind you that Atlus is part of the collaboration, and modern Japan, mainly Tokyo, is a setting they do pretty often in their games.

Yeah, the Tokyo setting came more from SMT than FE. FE had taken from it battle mechanics and characters, but turned into mechanics in a typical SMT battle system.

If this actually is a sequel, I'll be shocked, but who knows maybe it'll be good. Jury's still out on the first game for me, and maybe it'll be good.

I see them picking only characters from Akaneia as a starting point, since Marth's games and Awakening are pretty significant for the FE series. I would like to see characters from other games too, Tellius and Elibe would be nice, but I can understand why they tried to focus only on characters from these games for the game. Also, I want to remind you that Atlus is part of the collaboration, and modern Japan, mainly Tokyo, is a setting they do pretty often in their games.

This, pretty much. In fact, I'm almost certain they said as much in Famitsu during development.

Edited by MCProductions

I don't feel like it will be a sequel though considering the poor reception it had. Thinking it is more likely a new RPG based on a similar theme of idols and fantasy like a spiritual successor to TMS#FE. Pretty unexpected and exciting still! Hopefully they can improve and market it better.

You're right. It doesn't fit an FE crossover.

But it does fit a SMT spinoff, which TMS obviously is. TMS is even SMT backwards.

As for the other characters, Ylisse and Archanea are pretty obviously more popular, and it seems that you'd rather this game be stuffed to the brim with Lords then. This game has a far more diverse cast than all Lords and every character has a reason to be here. Cain is the beginning of an archetype, Caeda is Caeda so no explanation needed, Chrom is the most recent Lord, Tharja is immensely popular, Draug is the first knight, and Virion is very popular to the point of being the most loved Archer in the series. Navarre has a ton of expies.

I'd rather the game bulk up it's cast with Awakening/Archanea. Minerva, Merric, Lena, Lissa, Frederick, and Gaius would all be pretty unique. They could even turn to Fates and get Leo, Xander, Camilla, and Oboro.

Only having characters from Akaneia and Ylise in a crossover is something I like to call ''worst case scenario''

There just isn't much to Akaneia characters compared to the later ones, sure they were the founding archtypes but its hard to find a Fire emblem game that doesn't have their cast surpass a bunch of mutes. Making Akaneia one half of only two casts seems like a waste to me.

There is more to the Awakening cast but from what I see they are considered pretty controversial thanks to their gimicky nature. I like them well enough and they are sure to liven up the scene but crossover-wise I think their bigger cheer works best when put together with some deeper characters from other games.

Its part of the reason why Tokeyo mirrage fails to excite me very much and also why Fire emblem Crossovers will always face some hesitation from me. I do think its a logical choice to make as far as marketing goes but also a disappointing one in terms of the value they give the game.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

This game has a far more diverse cast than all Lords and every character has a reason to be here. Cain is the beginning of an archetype, Caeda is Caeda so no explanation needed, Chrom is the most recent Lord, Tharja is immensely popular, Draug is the first knight, and Virion is very popular to the point of being the most loved Archer in the series. Navarre has a ton of expies.

I wouldn't argue against Caeda, she's pretty awesome but I don't think being the first knight or the first red cavalry are valid reasons because that's really are there is to them. Draug is the first knight but he's not the best knight nor the most popular, that one is probably Oswin. Cain is the first red cavalier but he's pretty lacking compared to his expies like Kent or Kieran.

Is it fair to judge their (crossover) worth that way when those characters were hampered by limitation which forces them to be half mute? I think it is because Shadow Dragon did not have those limitations...but they were still bare bones characters with maybe one line in the story, no supports and a single line when dying in that game.

Remember that Path of Radiance was a commercial flop, but NCL still gave IS the green light for the more expensive Radiant Dawn. And of course the Fatal Frame games sell in about the same ball park as TMS#FE, but NCL still keeps production alive for those. Sometimes diversity in your line up can trump the immediate profit to be made, and when you're a large company like Nintendo you have more wiggle room to finance more niche products.

Anyways, I spoke to my friend about this and he came up with an interesting concept for a sequel. Using characters from Fates, and having two rival schools as the protagonists of the story, I think that would be an interesting hook for a sequel.

Remember that Path of Radiance was a commercial flop, but NCL still gave IS the green light for the more expensive Radiant Dawn. And of course the Fatal Frame games sell in about the same ball park as TMS#FE, but NCL still keeps production alive for those. Sometimes diversity in your line up can trump the immediate profit to be made, and when you're a large company like Nintendo you have more wiggle room to finance more niche products.

Anyways, I spoke to my friend about this and he came up with an interesting concept for a sequel. Using characters from Fates, and having two rival schools as the protagonists of the story, I think that would be an interesting hook for a sequel.

True but Path of Radience seems pretty beloved to me while Tokeyo mirage has a lot of people grumpy about it. Maybe that played a part in Nintendo green lighting RD, that and that it was an already established franchise with a Smash rep.

True but Path of Radience seems pretty beloved to me while Tokeyo mirage has a lot of people grumpy about it. Maybe that played a part in Nintendo green lighting RD, that and that it was an already established franchise with a Smash rep.

TMS became a critical darling and is beloved by people who gave it a chance. If we use grumpy people on the internet to decide what not to do, nothing would ever be made.

I wouldn't argue against Caeda, she's pretty awesome but I don't think being the first knight or the first red cavalry are valid reasons because that's really are there is to them. Draug is the first knight but he's not the best knight nor the most popular, that one is probably Oswin. Cain is the first red cavalier but he's pretty lacking compared to his expies like Kent or Kieran.

Is it fair to judge their (crossover) worth that way when those characters were hampered by limitation which forces them to be half mute? I think it is because Shadow Dragon did not have those limitations...but they were still bare bones characters with maybe one line in the story, no supports and a single line when dying in that game.

Oswin is only liked because he's from FE7, and FE7's boring cast just makes him look better. If any Knight is more important than Draug, it would be Sheema. Sheema was the first story relevant Knight and tbh I don' know why she wasn't chosen. I'd also bring up that Kellam is very well liked.

As for Cain, he's more subdued than future red Cavaliers, but that isn't a bad thing. I don't really like Kent but I guess he wouldn't be terrible. Kieran is one of the most one-note Tellius characters. In this instance, I'd say that Sully is probably the best Red cavalier.

Oswin is only liked because he's from FE7, and FE7's boring cast just makes him look better. If any Knight is more important than Draug, it would be Sheema. Sheema was the first story relevant Knight and tbh I don' know why she wasn't chosen. I'd also bring up that Kellam is very well liked.

As for Cain, he's more subdued than future red Cavaliers, but that isn't a bad thing. I don't really like Kent but I guess he wouldn't be terrible. Kieran is one of the most one-note Tellius characters. In this instance, I'd say that Sully is probably the best Red cavalier.

I dont think the cast of 7 is boring actually but I do think Oswin stands out for being boring. That works in his favor though because it fits Owsin and makes him the straight man to the carefree Matthew and bratty Serra.

I haven't played all the FE games, but I'm pretty sure you could find a few standout/interesting characters for each game, just look at the "Who would you want to be your mirage" thread, everyone has a few characters they would want, but there are too many characters and they can't please every fan.

The Akaneia games started the whole Fire Emblem series, and Awakening the "new era" of popularity for FE and both are pretty popular (in Japan at least), so it makes perfect sense that they would choose to focus on characters from these games at least for the first game, if #FE ends up being its own series.

The idea is interesting, but I wonder how they will justify that, since in #FE, it's basically good humans (and their "purified" mirage partners) against evil mirages, I'm not sure how they could do that with 2 schools, one "good" and one "evil" fighting each other seems odd to me. But using Fates as a base for this is definitely interesting.

The problem with Fire Emblem is that the roster is so massive, and most characters aren't really that important or beloved in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately there is no real standout among Draug, Valbar, Arden, Bors, etc; but at least Draug has the distinction of being the original knight. It's like how most people know Neil Armstrong, but can't really name the other astronauts who walked on the moon.

The idea is interesting, but I wonder how they will justify that, since in #FE, it's basically good humans (and their "purified" mirage partners) against evil mirages, I'm not sure how they could do that with 2 schools, one "good" and one "evil" fighting each other seems odd to me. But using Fates as a base for this is definitely interesting.

I think it have to work with the protagonists being on the same side, but they don't realize it and clash on a few occasions over the game. Maybe even be like Bowser's Inside Story and have two different campaigns that intersect at certain points.

Atlus must be in a good financial position considering how badly this game did in Japan. Either that or they already had a contract before hand saying that they would also make a sequel.

Atlus probably is considering that its games are, from what I've seen, more expensive than the average Nintendo 3DS/Wii U title on release, not to mention the at least modest popularity some of their titles have (especially Persona from what I've heard).

Either way, I probably wouldn't follow the possible sequel too closely unless it's on the 3DS and if it drew more from the Fire Emblem franchise (still traumatized by the SMT4 tutorial).

That would be amazing.

But instead of schools, have it be two rival record companies, each vying for the top spot on the hit charts. Let the chaos commence!

It sounds like the gameplay is spectacular, and that's what's important. If they can improve on that, and polish up the story so that it doesn't freak people out, I can see a sequel being very well-received.

"the first game did awful in sales and even our home country didn't buy it, what should we do?"

"we'll make ANOTHER one, if we force it this down everyone's throat's then they'll like it for sure, it worked with Marie in persona 4 golden right, RIGHT?!"

this makes as much sense as DmC or Other M getting a sequel.

"the first game did awful in sales and even our home country didn't buy it, what should we do?"

"we'll make ANOTHER one, if we force it this down everyone's throat's then they'll like it for sure, it worked with Marie in persona 4 golden right, RIGHT?!"

this makes as much sense as DmC or Other M getting a sequel.

Well, I mean, Sonic Boom got a sequel, so anythings possible right.