FE6 Death Quotes Found

King Marth 64

I found some of the death quotes from the Player Units in my fan translation on Fire Emblem 6: Sword of Seals that I found and since I see the death quotes were might not be in the script, here's the few I will help out for this website:

http://serenesforest.net/fe6/

P.S.: I got the screenshots from Chapter 5 and I will might give out more after I finish Chapter 5 in this game. (or if anyone can also help to get the other's death quote, thanks) and I got the Roy, Barth, Lilina, and Ogier's death quote from the FE Wiki.

Here's the Death Quotes that I found:

Roy:

Everyone... I'm sorry....

Marcus: (I need to get this later)

(I'm getting the quote soon.)

Alan:

Sh... shit. Why... here? Lord Roy...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-AlanDeathQuoteCapture.png

Lance:

Lord Roy... I wish you luck...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-LanceDeathQuoteCapture.png

Wolt:

Why so soon...? Sorry, Master Roy... I can't help you anymore...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-WoltDeathQuoteCapture1.png

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-WoltDeathQuoteCapture2.png

Bors:

Sorry... Lady Lilina...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-BorsDeathQuoteCapture.png

Merlinus:

Oh no! I'm getting out of here before I lose my important goods!

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-MerlinusDeathQuoteCapture1.png

Ellen:

Princess Guinevere... Please... Don't give up...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-EllenDeathQuoteCapture1.png

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-EllenDeathQuoteCapture2.png

Dieck:

I'm sorry... I can't stay with you.

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-DieckDeathQuoteCapture.png

Wade:

Oh no! What have I done?

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-WadeDeathQuoteCapture.png

Lot:

No more...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-LotDeathQuoteCapture.png

Thany:

Yuno.. Tate... Sorry... I can't go home...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-ThanyDeathQuoteCapture.png

Chad:

Dammit! Why here...? Lugh... sorry...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-ChadDeathQuoteCapture1.png

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-ChadDeathQuoteCapture2.png

Lugh:

I'm so sorry... Chad... Ra.. y...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-LughDeathQuoteCapture.png

Clarine: (Might be only Player Unit? - I need to check on Chapter 4)

No! Please, help! Brother Klein...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-Pic20.png

Rutger: (Might be only Player Unit? - I need to check on Chapter 4)

No… more…

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-RugterDeathQuoteCapture.png

--As soon I finish Chapter 5 in my game, I'll possibly might get more of them.--

Saul:

Dorothy:

Sue:

Zealot:

Treck:

Noah:

Astol:

Lilina:

Roy… do not lose…

Wendy:

Barth:

Urgh... Why now...?

Ogier:

I can't die...

---The rest I'll get it later---

Edited by King Marth 64

It's just that unofficial translations most of the time add unnecessary profanity for some reason.

Actually as I recall (don't read any moonspeak here) it's a fairly accurate representation of what Alan says.

According to Pegasus Knight, Alan's death quote starts with "く くそっ."

"くそっ" appears to translate as a variety of curses, including "Shit", "Fuck", and "Damn it". (At least, according to Google Translate; I'm not familiar with the word myself.) The additional "く" at the beginning, then, can be understood as the stammering he displays in the translation.

Edited by Othin

According to Pegasus Knight, Alan's death quote starts with "く くそっ."

"くそっ" appears to translate as a variety of curses, including "Shit", "Fuck", and "Damn it". (At least, according to Google Translate; I'm not familiar with the word myself.) The additional "く" at the beginning, then, can be understood as the stammering he displays in the translation.

I'm pretty sure they say "Damn it" on the IS localizations. Or "Blast".

Probably the latter. Especially considering how FE7 had an "E" ESRB rating.

However, taken MOST literally... it means "excrement". So yes.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'm just talking about this specific instance in the fan translation. Makes sense that it would show up in other games and be toned down in the official translation, for the ones that got one.

What the crap, Alan says the s-word? :o:

There are different cultures and varying responses to the severity of curse words, you know. Not every place is scared of a few syllables :p

(on a little interesting note, the newest advance wars has the 'shit' translated, but it's still not used :/ It's not like people playing these games don't know the words anyways, and if you're more upset by a word than you killing people in a virtual environment...yeah....)

I'm pretty sure they say "Damn it" on the IS localizations. Or "Blast".

Probably the latter. Especially considering how FE7 had an "E" ESRB rating.

However, taken MOST literally... it means "excrement". So yes.

More specifically, it does have a few instances of "cuss words". For the most part, things like that are acceptable as long as they're used sparsely and none of the more "severe" words are used.

Games later on in the series all received E10+ to T ratings, and you can even note the differences in their use of words from FE7 yourself just from playing them normally :P:. "Shit" was never used even once as far as I am aware, despite their future ratings allowing the use of such words. This should make things very clear to translators hoping to do unofficial translations along the vein of IS' official ones.

Edited by Tangerine

What the crap, Alan says the s-word? :o:

I love that. "What the crap", because crap is so much better than saying shit. They're words that mean the same thing, and when I was a kid my mom smacked me if I said shit and she smacked me if I said crap. The irony of saying "What the crap" and then saying "The s-word" is so hilarious it would make me weep tears of joy if it also wasn't sad, depressing, and ignorant.

My opinion is, I think IS removed all of the cursing because in Japanese cursing might not have as strong of an impact on the reader as it would in America, land of the holy holies where a single profanity turns one to the side of the devil. Therefore, with the exception of "damn" in certain instances, I feel it's only right to cut all cursing out of 'official' FEGBA translations as well as 'unofficial', to keep in spirit with the dialogue theme the game established once it was released in America. For fangames though, do whatever you like.

Then the name "Thomas Crapper" is a curse word? :P

He didn't invent the flush toilet, but he DID do stuff to make it as popular as it is today.

It has often been claimed in popular culture that the slang term for human bodily waste, "crap", originated with Thomas Crapper because of his association with lavatories. The most common version of this story is that American servicemen stationed in England during World War I saw his name on cisterns and used it as army slang, i.e., "I'm going to the crapper".

The word crap is actually of Middle English origin; and hence predates its application to bodily waste. Its first application to bodily waste, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, appeared in 1846 under a reference to a crapping ken, or a privy, where ken means a house.

Its most likely etymological origin is a combination of two older words, the Dutch krappen: to pluck off, cut off, or separate; and the Old French crappe: siftings, waste or rejected matter (from the medieval Latin crappa, chaff).

Edited by shadowofchaos

My opinion is, I think IS removed all of the cursing because in Japanese cursing might not have as strong of an impact on the reader as it would in America, land of the holy holies where a single profanity turns one to the side of the devil. Therefore, with the exception of "damn" in certain instances, I feel it's only right to cut all cursing out of 'official' FEGBA translations as well as 'unofficial', to keep in spirit with the dialogue theme the game established once it was released in America. For fangames though, do whatever you like.

A single profanity does not necessarily have excessive impact in America. To some, it does; to others, it loses too much impact. Changing it to a "lesser" swear is sacrificing meaning for the sake of censorship and should be avoided.

A single profanity does not necessarily have excessive impact in America. To some, it does; to others, it loses too much impact. Changing it to a "lesser" swear is sacrificing meaning for the sake of censorship and should be avoided.

Honestly though, the GBA FE games have already made that "feel" I have for the FE franchise. The way the AMAZING game FE7x is going about it... I don't really like it... because of the established "non-extensive cursing" environment FE has been expressed to me as. There's no way I'm not playing that thing when it gets released though. It's too GOOD. I'll just have to suck it up.

I mean it's fine with the "Dammit" and all that other ones that we've probably seen... I mean "Blast!" is taking it a bit far in censorship... but FE7x has Uther and Wallace dropping "them"... well JUSTIFIED, but still...

The way Alan expresses it in Japanese... doesn't seem as "hard" as how the fan translators took it literally in FE6.

Edit: For example, with Chad's "Dammit!"

I don't know about you, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH9FXE1ACNk

ちくしょう! is just as bad as くくそっ・・・ and I saw it translated as "Dammit!"

Edited by shadowofchaos

Japanese swear words have vague meanings so a number of options are viable but given the track record of Fire Emblem games localized into English, the s-word why don't I just say the dang word?is, IMO, not very fitting. Granted, it's a fan translation, and an old one at that, so I'm not going to be mad just because they didn't use "Damnit" or "Blast" or something. :\

It doesn't bug me at all, It's Alan, his entire personality is crass, rough, and hotblooded, it doesn't strike me as odd for him to say 'Shit'. If he had said 'Fuck' I would have been putting my foot down and going "No that shit doesn't fly' simply because that sounds like being vulgar for the sake of vulgar, then again I honestly laugh pretty hard whenever Dastard appears in the script of the games. Yeah I know it's a real word and all that? but it seems more out of place to me than bastard. Not that I advocate a script full of swearing, I think it's always about who's saying what. A rough and tough bandit who doesn't care to much for society or rules should say 'Bastard' a nobleman who has lived a life of luxury would try to curse in a refined manner.

Alan would say Shit

Lance would say Damn

It's not just about what's PC or not, it's about defining a characters personality and mannerisms, simply by their choice of words. Zephiel wouldn't swear because Zephiel always comes off as just not giving a fuck about anyone enough TO swear. Narshen I could see heavily swearing when he loses his cool, Brunya and Murdock would probably cut out their own tongues than seem disrespectful

Edited by Onmi

It doesn't bug me at all, It's Alan, his entire personality is crass, rough, and hotblooded, it doesn't strike me as odd for him to say 'Shit'. If he had said 'Fuck' I would have been putting my foot down and going "No that shit doesn't fly' simply because that sounds like being vulgar for the sake of vulgar, then again I honestly laugh pretty hard whenever Dastard appears in the script of the games. Yeah I know it's a real word and all that? but it seems more out of place to me than bastard. Not that I advocate a script full of swearing, I think it's always about who's saying what. A rough and tough bandit who doesn't care to much for society or rules should say 'Bastard' a nobleman who has lived a life of luxury would try to curse in a refined manner.

Alan would say Shit

Lance would say Damn

It's not just about what's PC or not, it's about defining a characters personality and mannerisms, simply by their choice of words. Zephiel wouldn't swear because Zephiel always comes off as just not giving a fuck about anyone enough TO swear. Narshen I could see heavily swearing when he loses his cool, Brunya and Murdock would probably cut out their own tongues than seem disrespectful

My thoughts exactly.

I mean, he's dying. Who here wouldn't let out a bit of profanity if you got a sword stuck through you and knew you weren't going to survive?

Who here wouldn't let out a bit of profanity if you got a sword stuck through you and knew you weren't going to survive?

Intelligent Systems Localization. "Realism in MY Fire Emblem!? Pfft."

Edited by shadowofchaos

Honestly though, the GBA FE games have already made that "feel" I have for the FE franchise. The way the AMAZING game FE7x is going about it... I don't really like it... because of the established "non-extensive cursing" environment FE has been expressed to me as.

This.

There's no way I'm not playing that thing when it gets released though. It's too GOOD. I'll just have to suck it up.

The features are pretty cool anyway... not a fan of the minced up story, the dialogue, or the harsh fake difficulty, but the features are pretty cool :X

The only thing I care about is theming. If the game sets a theme of "Characters don't curse" and a fan game says "I'm true to the original" but the characters do curse, then it's breaking the theme, and I dislike that.

Incidentally, I hold no opinion on the Alan thing, I never played FE6 but I'd assume a similar dialogue vein to FE7. And "Damn it" is a perfectly acceptable and sensible translation in the theme of the FE6/FE7/FE8 dialogues, therefore that translation would make the most sense to me.

Alan:

Sh... shit. Why... here? Lord Roy...

0378-FireEmblem-SealedSwordJEurasia-AlanDeathQuoteCapture.png

I'm not offended by the language used here, but I think it's jarring in comparison to the rest of the patch--you don't really see the script peppered with this sort of vocabulary--and also as compared to what we've come to know and expect with English FE games. The wording might be toned down in the English releases, but there's something charming about the antiquated dialogue, and I definitely missed it with the FE6 patch, Alan's hiccup included. I've toyed around with the idea of asking for permission to edit the FE6 patch to fix this and other issues. XP

Ah, you make such a good point. In fact, you've completely changed my mind!

-When mario dies in any game, he shouldn't say "Ohh nooo!", he needs to be more jarring. "Ohhh shiiit!"

-Link yells "Kyaaaah" when he dies, but fuck that, he needs to be more jarring. After all, he's dying. "FUUUUUUUCK"

-Samus doesn't say a damn thing when she dies, and we know how women are such screamers. It'd make a lot more sense if she cursed too!

Oh, wait. No that's right, it goes against the theme of those games too. Huh, maybe ignore me.