Shuuda's Art Thread

Shuuda

Yeah, something like this has already been done before.

I don't ever recall the point of that image I made as having being original. Please do not spam in the future.

Here is a new character in development for a different university project.

[spoiler=Images]CharacterDevelopment1.jpg

CharacterDevelopment2.jpg

CharacterDevelopment3.jpg

CharacterDevelopment4.jpg

I hope you enjoy, and feel free to comment.

Edited by Shuuda

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hey, nice detail. Also, that's pretty interesting. It's like at first he's a scientist then he's a mage then he's a knight (from head to toe). I like the armored boots. Really interesting idea on a mage-looking character.

• 1 month later...

Now that the final year of my degree has finished, I'm going to post the work I did for the practical project part of my final dissertation. The project was centred around the American photographer, Man Ray. I had to research his career and then apply his artistic principles to a project of my own design. The project was created entirely in 3D.

Firstly, the bulk of my efforts went into created two animations:

This first animation is an overview of the project, taking the viewer through a designed art gallery space which displayed the work created for the project. The second animation plays on a large screen while the other two pieces of the project are displayed as a series of still shots on the curving walls. And, before anyone points it out, I know there's a typo in it, but this thing took five full days to render.

http://vimeo.com/24462449

The second animation was inspired by Man Ray's work in fashion photography as well as my personal interest in ancient culture. The woman is wandering through a surreal landscape based on ancient Egyptian ruins. Her actions cause the sky in the background to alter.

Aside from those two animations, two smaller pieces where created, a collage piece and a portraiture piece. However, rather than post all the images here, I'll provide a link to them on my Deviantart account:

http://shuuda.deviantart.com/gallery/30512021

I hope that you enjoy me work, and feel free to make comments.

There's a typ--*shot*

It was cool to see all the little snippets you posted turn into one cool animation. Thank you for posting this!

Ok, the best you did was on the first link. The camera moved much like an actual person would, looking around a gallery. And the gallery its self was expertly done.

However, the walking animation was kind of choppy and unrealistic. And the way you had the sky turning was a bit odd. The animations where you had her messing with the sun and the moon seemed a bit rushed (they moved kinda too quickly) and her heels stuck out from the back of her foot a but much. Applying a texture to the moon would have helped a little. Plus the sash thing hanging down her leg was kind of stiff.

That's as much as I could find with the technicalities. Other than that, amazing work. I could not to better.

side-note: lolol; Paul is taking over the left side of the museum.

Here are two shots from a work in progress piece.

[spoiler=Lyra]LyraDevelopment1.jpg

LyraDevelopment2.jpg

The hair kind of looks like it's floating off of her head, for one. Very good job on the outfit, though.

Here is an updated version of Lyra. I've fixed up some new hair and eyes as well as a few other facial changes.

[spoiler=Lyra]LyraDevelopment3.jpg

LyraDevelopment4.jpg

LyraDevelopment5.jpg

The hair is definately better. Though the mouth seems a bit low on her face to me. I shouldn't be the only one giving imput, though. XD

Here's an update. I made a small piece of scenery modelled on a dojo for Lyra, and then took a few shots while messing around with the lights and the camera.

[spoiler=Happy Lyra?]LyraSceneDevelopment.png

LyraSceneDevelopment3.png

LyraSceneDevelopment4.png

LyraSceneDevelopment5.png

Aaah, took me a while to get back to this. Aaaaaanyway.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the eyes. The edges of the eyes shouldn't be so rounded-- eyes have corners. I actually really like the eyes, apart from this; the shading and detail is very nice. They do seem to be a bit droopy on the bottom edges, but the corners are the big thing.

Rest of the face: Okay. It seems a bit flat, but I know modeling faces is hard, lord knows I'm terrible at it. Nose is a bit high up I think, could scoot that down a bit.

Hair: Whether the hair has issues depends on what kind of texture and volume you're going for. Right now it seems to be a little rough, though a lot of that has to do with thickness/vertex count, so I'm a bit less concerned with that. There's a whole lot of volume right now, though-- it poofs out a lot from her head before falling down. Asian and Caucasian hair tend to lie flatter.

Anatomy: Okay, here we go. You really want someone like Lumi to do this, she's better at it than me. Anyway, I went and tried to make a guess at what the figure is shaped like-- I couldn't do the legs because of the pants, so I just guessed at where the knees are.

[spoiler=vandalism]lyrastructure.png

She's about six heads tall. Nothing wrong with that if you're going for a more cartoony look, but if you're looking for a more realistic look you want more like 7.

Arms: I can't tell if this is just the angle, but they look a bit short. I'm assuming you modeled her in T-pose to start out with, then posed her; try posing her with her arms flat at her sides to see where her hands go to. Standing with hands at sides, a person's fingers generally end somewhere around mid-thigh.

I do rather like the lighting in those interior shots. Texturing on her skin also turned out really nice.

Arms: I can't tell if this is just the angle, but they look a bit short. I'm assuming you modeled her in T-pose to start out with, then posed her; try posing her with her arms flat at her sides to see where her hands go to. Standing with hands at sides, a person's fingers generally end somewhere around mid-thigh.

To answer this bit, I modelled the character with her arms in the position in the picture you used, which was how they were posed on the turn around I used as reference. I don't think modelling the character with her arms flat at her sides would probably make skinning the model a nightmare. Posing them with their arms outwards at least means that elbow and finger joints aren't going to end up affecting her torso area.

Wait, so she isn't rigged? I see. Disregard what I said there about posing, then, I thought she was on an armature and it would be easy enough to just pose her for a moment to see how things lined up (how long the arms are in comparison to her torso.)

Yeah modeling with arms flat at the sides is generally a bad idea; that's not what I was suggesting.

Edited by Kiryn

She does have armature, that's the point. If I had her arms flat by her side then the joints in her fingers would end up affecting her thighs or lower torso, which then I'd have to spend a lot more time (even more than I normally would) with the paint skin weights tool to make sure the finger joints only affect the fingers. That would be nightmarish since each hand has around fifteen joints each.

Ah, okay.

I wasn't suggesting any sort of permanent pose, just to see where her arms are. I couldn't tell from the angle the pictures were on if her arms were proportionally short or just foreshortened by perspective. I'm going to take a guess that they're just foreshortened and not actually too short, if they end up screwing things up with her legs when they're at her sides.

Too much confusion augh.

• 3 weeks later...

Not put anything up in a while, so here's a little something I made quickly today.

[spoiler=Eye Staff]EyeStaff1.jpg

EyeStaff2.jpg

EyeStaff3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is still a work in progress piece, but since I've been working on it for a while I decided I might as well show it off show far.

[spoiler=Eiiza]EiizaDevelopment1.jpg

EiizaDevelopment2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Since I've not put anything up in quite a while, here's a little in progress work.

[spoiler=Chamber]

The gear's texture is stretched on the second picture.

Also:

r29esp.png

Everything else is great though. Nice lighting.

Edited by Marthur