Code Geass Mafia - Game Over

SB.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^that

Basically it turned the killing power up to 11 and since eclipse wanted to kill blitz last time i checked i was very hesitant about actually modkilling people since it could swing the game pretty hard.

I'll try and get postgame up soon but the unexpected ending means I have basically nothing done for it. I don't think that town was as strong as scum felt they were (and I think maybe in a better situation irl for Boron/eclipse they could've pulled it off) but I can understand why they stopped I guess.

Edited by SB.

Well, if scum thought I was town, town would have been pretty strong. Otherwise no, although it was funny to see an unrestricted cop since I was like so sure that you'd put a Colorblind Cop in again.

I'm sorry about the random surrender, but I know that on my part the game was becoming more and more of a chore to read through until I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. If I were less busy, I think that Junko and I could've tried to pull something off, but I was very lost and I wasn't getting any less lost because I wasn't going to get get less busier. I would've asked eclipse if she wanted to try to keep going, bur she was probably busier than I was and it wouldn't be fair to have her carry our slot.

The moral of the story is that a busy person+another busy person =/= an effective hydra. It sounds good in theory, but in practice it just leads to two busy people playing mafia in one player slot.

Postgame

I started designing this game after the flop that was FFTA mafia, where I thought the idea of linked roles in the game were interesting but it was completely screwed balancewise and made everyone involved obvtown iirc? Initially I had a 10/4 setup featuring Lelouch as a Traitor Joat with similar abilities who was also a 1-way lover to vanilla!Nunally and like some fourth BK I don't remember (Diethard maybe?) but after an RNG test where Lelouch redirected the scumkill to one of their own members and then got strongmanned on the following night phase I realised it was kind of bad.

In that variant, the Suzaku/Euphemia relationship still existed but Suzaku turned into a non-consec vig after Euphie's death and Euphie was a decoy who had no idea about how her role interacted with Suzaku. After this, I remembered SFMM2 and the PSYCHO LOVERS and based Suzaku's role off of that, albeit in a less bastard manner. ...Initially he just started as an SK who needed Euphemia to die to start killing (which was more like Mafia Mafia 2 on smogon in hindsight), but I soon realised that this could lead to dumb stuff like kill-less SK left alone against town if the mafia died early so he changed into what he is now.

If Euphemia died, Suzaku would've turned into an end of day SK, letting him shoot without having to worry about the doc and any other protective roles town might've had (aside from the BPV). In hindsight, maybe just having the BPV activate post-lynchpin like scum's did would've been better for balance but I dunno. I would definitely like to use an idea like this again but I feel like people would anticipate it now so it wouldn't have the same impact. Unique ideas are hard.

To counter the eventual 10/3/1 setup, town had a decent number of PRs. I wanted to put in a standard Cop just because uh... I have never used a normal Cop in one of my games before and I liked the idea behind the Miller in Big NOCers but thought the execution could use some work, so I tried to refine it. Unfortunately, it didn't work out very well in practice since Poly just decided to claim miller day 1 and as a result his action was continuously fucked with, and Proto got lynched while he was busy with real life stuff so uh... not the greatest performance of the roles.

The other PRs were more minor and swingier. Along with the BPV, the vig was there because vigs are cool mostly and I wanted town to have some more killing power to combat multiple anti-town factions. The inventor changed a lot (I think at one point it was a very wonky JoaT that was only an inventor in name) but was mostly there as a gimmicky role to keep the game interesting. It might've been better as one of its older versions because I guess Inventor generally looks townie (aside from Fabricator but I don't think anyone expected me to reuse that) but I think the actual powers were fine. I had it as a day action because I didn't want the players to die before they actually got a chance to use the stuff they got from them.

I don't have much to say about scum because their roles are kind of self-explanatory. JoaTs are good roles and I didn't want to give scum a fulltime info role here so it fit well, the Jailkeeper had the day gimmick to screw with the Inventor and post-lynchpin Suzaku (although it couldn't completely counter him since it would block the kill) but also had the less obvious function of just being used to doc scumbuddies in case a shot was announced ahead of time or SK was happening. And the Godfather was just an obvious thing to put in for the cop. I probably should've given scum something to claim but I think their overall power levels were fine and they only got screwed because of failing to kill twice in a row.

As far as actual play goes I don't have much to say because like... the game ended so quickly I didn't get much of an idea on what feedback to give. If you still want it, drop me a pm or something and I'll give it to you privately. I think scum played well before Day 2, with both the hydra slot and Junko looking fine to the majority of townies and Marth managing to evade the lynch despite activity stuff, but I think their kill targets were kind of questionable. Refa was a Mayor I guess but he wasn't viewed as super townie or anything, and shooting Baldrick/Paper when you knew both the doc and inventor and didn't know his role seemed like a weird move to me when he wasn't particularly suspicious of any scum slots. This might just be observer bias though so idk.

Edited by SB.

Mafia suicided, whoa!

I'm still annoyed that I got lynched, since I did say I have to go in my last post (why is applying for a Canadian visa so complicated?), but I suppose I should have been more attentive about the deadlines, since the phase ended right after waking up from an ~8 hour long slumber.

I wanna play more Mafia games with Green Poet now. Although I was on a SF Mafia break with this game being an exception, now I feel like returning back to SF Mafia and play here more! Oh, wait, my playstyle likely wouldn't be welcome here...

Mafia suicided, whoa!

I'm still annoyed that I got lynched, since I did say I have to go in my last post (why is applying for a Canadian visa so complicated?), but I suppose I should have been more attentive about the deadlines, since the phase ended right after waking up from an ~8 hour long slumber.

I wanna play more Mafia games with Green Poet now. Although I was on a SF Mafia break with this game being an exception, now I feel like returning back to SF Mafia and play here more! Oh, wait, my playstyle likely wouldn't be welcome here...

Self-pity does not become you. I suggest laying off the flavor and attempting to get into the host's head early-on. Both of these are extremely scummy.

EDIT (for justice): It looks like outside circumstances prevented both Boron and me from being the super-awesome tag team. I'm a little miffed that we rolled what was essentially mafia goon (and Junko forgot to put his role PM in the scum quicktopic after D1), but eh.

Edited by eclipse

for the record i don't think flavor spec and getting into the host's head are scummy so much as WASTES OF TIME sorry blitz

like you can do it but don't share it, and even if you do it you're probably just gonna run yourself around in circles

but i find proto's posts entertaining from a non-gameplay POV for some reason whatever

for the record i don't think flavor spec and getting into the host's head are scummy so much as WASTES OF TIME sorry blitz

like you can do it but don't share it, and even if you do it you're probably just gonna run yourself around in circles

but i find proto's posts entertaining from a non-gameplay POV for some reason whatever

ummm, what are you talking about exactly? (I am stupid that way)

also, I wanna play more mafia with Prims and Proto (like conspiracy all over again)

Something something host spec only kinda works on me

Proto just lay off the flavorspec since I mean where did it get you, and hosts often shuffle roles and characters Just to spite flavor hunters (golden sun isaac?)

Flavourspec never works.

Hostspec/ Rolespec almost ALWAYS works.

What roles am I gonna have in my next game, hmm?

you bet your ass some weird shit and vanilla substitutes