Spear wielding Kid

WTF. I typed "ドニ" into two translators and it came out Denis. o_O The Japanese write some names just plain weird in katakana...

I think I am still going to stick with Donny until the translation. >.>

I see Donny. Those don't even resemble Dennis :E

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look here, I am not the arbiter who decided on how things should be Japanized; I am merely stating the facts (btw "Donny" doesn't sound exactly like ドニ either but you don't see anyone complaining about that).

To be entirely correct, the kana rhymes with "Tony" (I had thought the kid's name was Tony until I noticed the dakuten).

Edited by dondon151

'Duh-nee' would be the French. The kana sounds more like dahn-nee.

To be fair, this is likely not that big of a difference to people who don't speak western languages. It would've sounded the same to my mom, and it would've sounded the same to me a few years back when my English is horrendous.

To be fair, this is likely not that big of a difference to people who don't speak western languages. It would've sounded the same to my mom, and it would've sounded the same to me a few years back when my English is horrendous.

But it's not about how it sounds, when the problem comes (for English-speakers) with the localized name:

1)Donny

2)Dennis

which both have radically different pronunciations for common English players. And I don't think 'ドニ' is in anyway as confusing to localize as lofa Yofa was.

We've seen Donny looking very similar in battle as a Halberdier, or at least as a high HP Soldier. So he has access to the Soldier/Halberdier line, and he almost certainly starts as a Soldier.

With that in mind, and especially with the Change Proofs offering a wider class selection for all characters, trainee classes, especially Recruit, would be entirely redundant and almost certainly do not exist.

That's not relevant. My point is, he has a bit of flexibility with his classes, but plenty of other characters will have just as much flexibility or more.

That's not relevant. My point is, he has a bit of flexibility with his classes, but plenty of other characters will have just as much flexibility or more.

Not every post is meant to be relevant to yours. Posts can very well spiral off into separate discussion from a base material without continuing a discussion of that base material.

There's a picture of Donny's map sprite in the communication section of the official site. We can also see Frederick as a General.

So what do you think? Is he a Soldier or Trainee?

Communication3DS.jpeg

hard to tell yet.. but im getting a trainee vibe from him.also on the bottom screen in the there is donny.i think. a peg knght and a cavalere does that mean liz promotes to a peg knight? (im probably wrong ..its just that i speak no japanese..) in my mind it makes sense... as donnie. liz. and frederick?are all on the top screen...

I'd say Soldier. A trainee isn't going to have better HP than a cavalier regardless of level, and is likely not going to see only 61% hit rate from a General with WTA against him in a game with a lower evade formula than the previous ones.

Though as a character he probably is a new recruit. I'd imagine he'll still be wearing that helmet regardless of class.

Liz promotes to Sage / Battle Cleric. I don't know whether or not the Pegasus Knight is Liz, but if so, it's a result of a Change Proof, just like how Sumia can use one to switch from Pegasus Knight to Cleric.