Gaming Suggestion

I know I've made a few lately, but this one should be easy as I think the modification needed to do it is already installed.

Add some profile sections for Xbox Live gamer tags, Playstation Network names, and a section for Wii friend codes? The only tricky one would be the Wii friend codes as each game has a different one. Perhaps just tell people to put their main Wii code there, and then people can send their Wii a message and tell them their other codes.

I know we already have threads with directories, but this seems more efficient, plus when a new member joins and doesn't know the directory exists, their codes, and tags will already be in their profile, as I'm sure they'll notice it when they go to edit their profile.

Nothing big, and not a major improvement, but would be somewhat helpful, and couldn't hurt any. No negative sides that I can see anyways.

Thoughts?

I saw a forum where there's a sub-forum in the other games section for Friend Codes. This could be of use. I"ll post a link. It's called "Child Board" but it's the same idea. I think a Friend Code sub-forum is a good idea.

Here's the link: http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?board=4491.0

No need to limit it. Limiting only discourages potential members.

... what?

If a new member joins here for a reason that isn't Fire Emblem, he's clearly doing it wrong. So, while DS and Wii sections could be of use, the others would be completely out of place.

... what?

If a new member joins here for a reason that isn't Fire Emblem, he's clearly doing it wrong. So, while DS and Wii sections could be of use, the others would be completely out of place.

Well I'm sure not everyone here plays just Fire Emblem. I know it deviates a little from the main theme, but it does relate to gaming, and more people see this as a gaming forum than a Fire Emblem one I'm sure. Some people here (myself included) aren't here for Fire Emblem, or don't like it that much. Some people like to talk about other games, it's just convenience really. I see no harm in it, aside from it not relating to Fire Emblem, but we have several things not relating to Fire Emblem on the site. I don't see why we should limit it so strictly really, but to each his own.

I play Halo just as much as I play Fire Emblem. I don't see the problem with this.

Yeah, and wouldn't be easier than to make another post asking someone for their gamer tag, or send them a PM and wait until they're on this site to add them than to just go to their profile and add them?

Well I'm sure not everyone here plays just Fire Emblem. I know it deviates a little from the main theme, but it does relate to gaming, and more people see this as a gaming forum than a Fire Emblem one I'm sure. Some people here (myself included) aren't here for Fire Emblem, or don't like it that much. Some people like to talk about other games, it's just convenience really. I see no harm in it, aside from it not relating to Fire Emblem, but we have several things not relating to Fire Emblem on the site. I don't see why we should limit it so strictly really, but to each his own.

You just came back, after 4 months or so (and a ragequit), for a reason that isn't Fire Emblem...?

Also, I'm not seeing the "several things not relating to Fire Emblem on the site"... TRS obviously doesn't count.

Also, I'm not seeing the "several things not relating to Fire Emblem on the site"... TRS obviously doesn't count.

There's an "Other Games" forum where other games not related to Fire Emblem are discussed, a "General" forum where politics, religion, books, media, and other topics are discussed, and the most traffic belongs to the Far from the Forest section, where rarely is the discussion Fire Emblem related.

I think it's safe to say that some people are just interested in being a part of the community. Plus I don't see how this would vastly destroy or ruin the theme of the forum. It's a small section in the profile which is meant for personal information anyways.

I don't even see the point in putting up an argument against it except to be difficult. It's not like it's going to be there obnoxiously staring you in the face every time you log on. It's also not going to even be noticeable unless you're going to look for it as if to look up someone's tag or PSN name.

All it does is create a little more convenience by expanding the profile section which is used for contact information and personal information, when it does qualify as both. Yeah it's probably not a highly demanded item, but it'd save some people some time, and wouldn't get in the way. It also fits in the section I suggested it for, and saves people from having to make topics with everyone's friend codes, gamer tags, PSN names and such, and then having to update it every time there is a change.

What is the big deal about it? Why so against the idea?

words

Useless out-of-place clutter. That's why.

The "other games" section is secondary; any discussions about them are peripherical and fated to be brief, as this is a Fire Emblem site.

Useless out-of-place clutter. That's why.

The "other games" section is secondary; any discussions about them are peripherical and fated to be brief, as this is a Fire Emblem site.

To each his own I suppose.

We have a thread which serves the same purpose. It would be a frivelous addition. It will likely not happen.

just make a sticky thread about about it, doesn't take too much work in order to do that

just make a sticky thread about about it, doesn't take too much work in order to do that

So little work that it has already been done, which is why I said that we already have a topic about this.

Would it be worth considering the addition of a text box under the Contact Information field of members' profiles instead of dedicated fields for each console network? Expanding the field to include one would enable individuals to append relevant contact details to their profile as they wish, such as friend codes for Fire Emblem 11 (or any other prospective Fire Emblem title) in addition to contact details for any other game, website, or platform (I know that there are a few PC games with more than one fan here, StarCraft and Melty Blood come to mind immediately). I think this could fulfill the same purpose as the suggestion originally put forth in the thread, but it would be more flexible as it would allow members to list the individual games they might wish to play on-line.

This suggestion similarly wouldn't displace the purpose of the Game Directory thread, but it would give a dedicated field within which to list contact information unavailable in existing fields, and also including details unrelated to games (if anyone would care; some members appear happy enough setting their homepage to their YouTube account). It would consolidate an individual member's contact information in one list instead of interspersed throughout a document, potentially making both mutually relevant as one could easily search a member's data or game's players depending on where one looked. Lastly, it would be accessible only to registered members instead of wide open to everybody and every bot, if that's worthy of any concern at all....