Return of The Emblem Chapter Two: The Trail

Phoenix

OOC: Day 3

The port city of Urquium ...

By the late morning the following day, the group had reached the city. Chip immediately went into hiding when he spotted the familiar uniforms of Ursian soldiers. Though only a few, it was still a good idea not to be seen and Raquel was thankful for the capuchin's quick thinking. The wyvern riders made things suspicious enough. As expected they were questioned somewhat thoroughly, but Raquel and Veronika managed to clear up any suspicions they had and the group was let through.

"That's the first large group we've had come through here from the south since last year. I hope things aren't picking up or something." one guard said to one of the others who was actually paying attention to him. The other simply flipped through a manual.

"I don't mind more groups coming through. You get to see a lot of interesting people." he replied.

"What was so interesting about them?" the guard shot back.

"Well look at'em. Not bad I'd say."

He got an unamused glare from his associate. "You need to get back to your girl as soon as possible, man. I've never seen infidelity kick in this quick."

"Tell me some of them aren't absolutely delectable."

"Ugh. Just shut up and look smart. We've got another group coming through." he said gesturing toward a small caravan.

"Whoa. Even bigger than the one that just went by." he said in astonishment.

"Yeah ... things are definitely picking up." he said with a sigh.

Once the group reached the main street and were well within the city, Raquel stopped the wagon in its tracks, stood up and addressed the group. "Okay, everyone, listen up! We're not going to be here too long but I have to do some ... uh ... merchant stuff; selling stuff we don't need, trying to get new items, and such. So take this chance to do whatever needs doing. If you need to buy or sell something, come find me. I'll be in the markets. Also can someone keep track of everyone else? I don't want to lose track of anyone but I'm too busy to really handle that. Rodrigo lives in Ursaea so that's where we'll be headed after this."

Elsewhere in the city, a lone carriage traveled through the streets heading for the west gate. A lot of people were gathered around it trying to get a look in through the windows in spite of the fact that they were thoroughly covered with little curtains from the inside. The man inside sat with another man across from him dressed all in black while he wore a crimson red robe with a beaked hood and all sorts of expensive garments. The expression on his face was nothing but agitation. "Listen to them out there. They just want to see my face and have me sign their stuff. Meanwhile our business partners have the guts to summon me like some mongrel ... PUP."

"It must be frustrating for you, sir." the other man blurted out nervously.

"It's embarrassing. If these people found out I'm coming through here to answer to some higher power, they'd laugh." he continued with a sigh. "Dammit, I should have brought the lady back with me. She's good company. Makes things like this seem less ... bothersome."

"You're fond of her, sir?"

"Of course. I get the feeling she might be just what I need, not just some fling or something like that." he replied with his hand on his chin. "I might actually put a ring on her finger come to think of it. Just maybe."

"Oh, a wedding? That would be spectacular. It would give the people more to think about than just this silly war going on." the man replied a bit less nervous and a bit more perky now.

"Yeah I suppose ..."

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere in Neviskotia, Night 2

Selene looked down on the dark alley in the small Neviskotian town, her target's white wings a clear sign in the darkness. To walk with a human form and bear wings...it is an affront to the Gods she thought to herself, swooping down quickly on the unsuspecting target. She pulled out a sword and aimed for the heart of the dark avian without hesitation, though this was parried by the sword of the dark avian. Still, the fight was over quickly, she struck his flesh and life drained out of the dark avian's body, his life energy healing the small wound he had given her.

"Easier than slaying dragons, eh Gorgotha?" she asked the grey pegasus whose coat was adorned with scorch marks. She gave a half-hearted whinny in return and Selene mounted her steed once again, leaving the body in the street. She took off into the sky once again, the night wind ruffling her short brown hair.

Monsters are to be slain and do not deserve burials as humans do. Some people treat dragons and dark avians and such like they are our equals, failing to see the abominations that they truly are. Still, there are too many of them to kill them all by normal means...I should return to Ursium to see what progress has been made on the operation. she thought to herself, urging Gorgotha forward and out of foreign lands.

"Aye, Raquel!" Gytha replied, having barely took in the information befoere leaping off of the cart and dashing out of sight. Maw remained on the cart, blinking lazily in the direction that Gytha had run off to. Gytha would either bring back food or Maw would just go off and find something in the night For now, she just wanted to enjoy the sun on her back. Gytha would be back, so she didn't ahve to worry about tracking her.

Of course, Gytha's destination was an obvious one: she missed the sea and she wanted to spend as much time near it as possible. As she ran through the streets, the mariner dodged her fellow pedestrians, careful not to run into anything but not bothering to slow down very often.

"Sure I guess...Oh goddammit," Domovoi snarled when he saw Gytha immediately run off after Raquel said she wanted someone to keep track of everyone. Flying up in the air with Miskavolv, he followed after her, keeping a little lower to the ground than he usually did when flying, but high enough to avoid hitting civilians.

"Get back here!"

Gytha ignored the wyvern rider. I've been away from the sea too long. If we're going inland again, I'll have to stay near it for as long as possible. Whoever that is wants me to return? Not until we move out!

Getting into the town had been a chore, with all the questioning and stares the group received. They reached mainstreet and Synthia sat on the rear of the cart while Raquel spoke. She didn't particularly like the idea of going to Ursaea, but she wasn't up for discussing that right now, she was much more interested in finding something to eat... She hopped off the cart just in time to see the mariner and Domovoi run off, shook her head in annoyance, and walked around over to Raquel.

"Hey, before you go, do you mind if I borrow this book for a while? I'm gonna go find a restaurant, didn't know if you wanted it for something..." Synthia asked rather disinterestedly, holding out the old leather bound tome she accidentally uncovered that morning. Really, she had already borrowed it all of the ride here, but since she had been in the cart anyway she hadn't bothered to ask then. It was only moral obligation making her ask now.

Edited by roymbrog

The tome Synthia had been reading? Well ... "Of course, go right ahead. Just don't lose it or anything." Raquel replied with a smile before going back into her own thoughts about what she would be spending some hours doing. Once again she was filled with a lot of regret. She had no idea her father's business would be resting on her all of a sudden. She wouldn't waste anymore time from this point forward. That's what she told herself at any rate.

Meanwhile Amon hopped down from the wagon and approached her. "Miss, Raquel," he began.

"It's just Raquel." she replied.

"Raquel, if there's anything you could think of for me to do, please let me know."

"Wow, you're helpful."

"I don't like doing nothing at all." he said hanging his head a bit.

"I've got something. Try to keep track of everyone for me. I mean you don't have to tail them but-"

"I understand." he politely interrupted before beating a hasty retreat. He knew she was busy and didn't want to waste too much time on words. She was a bit flustered by his quick withdrawal but mentally thanked him for it as she got back to work.

Veronika sighed as she looked at Domovoi chasing Gytha. I had hoped to keep a low profile, having the wyvern is bad enough, but yelling things while flying around on it may attract extra attention. But running after him and yelling at him is not going to do us any favors Hoping he didn't get himself into any trouble, she walked towards the other wyvern rider.

"Let's try not to make too much of a ruckus while we're here," Veronika said to the wyvern riding mercenary. "One wyvern rider may be discounted as an odd occurence, but two will draw a lot of negative attention towards our group, like we saw with the guards back at Sergio Port. Hopefully your wyvern knows how to behave himself."

''Well, I wouldn't worry about that.'' John answered. ''Keeping a low profile is quite easy. That is, if nothing ever provokes him. He does have a short temper. But don't worry, it's nothing I can't handle!''

Though, in his mind, he wasn't as sure. 'Yet at least. You never know with this country. Well, I suppose I've managed until now, what's some time more?'

Two hours later ...

Raquel finally finished selling everything the group wouldn't be able to make any use of that wasn't a personal item of hers or her father's. The wagon load didn't get any lighter though as much of what was sold was replaced with new items, ones she hoped the party would be able to make use of. "Alright. If we do this in every decently stocked settlement we come across and they can find things to use and purchase, we should be back up to speed in no time ... though I think we would do much better if we had some more income coming in from somewhere." she said to Chip who though hidden was listening from his room as she organized the crates with Wolfgang and Hans.

OOC:

ITEM GET!!!

Stimulant

Leather Mount Armor

Enchanted Tack

Mend Staff

Quarterstaff

Edited by Phoenix

Apparently, they hadn't drawn enough attention, or so the Skotian wyvern rider thought, since he lifted off after Gytha. Axel shook his head. What a greenhorn. Well, the soldier had a few hours or so to spend. After disembarking from the wagon, he found a rather desolate area of the city, and began maintenance on his weapons and armor. First, the blood had to be wiped off of the lance and from around the shoulderplate, then the metal all had to be dipped in the solution... This was going to take a while.

"I doubt we'd run into anyone that knows my father personally," Seliah reassured Daloth. "Just act subtle without being suspicious, and we're in. The Fire Emblem shall be within my grasp." She took note of their surroundings. "Now...we need to find this town. Are we going the right way?" she wondered aloud. "Can't be too far m'lady," came Oude's response. "We haven't traveled far since we picked up our hitchhiker. We simply need to retrace his steps." From her carriage seat, Seliah shot the knight a death glare. "You didn't answer my question you dolt. Are we going the right way?" She felt her anger rising inside of her. It would not be unlikely that this greasy old man would have the bright idea of leading them around aimlessly to slow her down. "I would assume so Lady Seliah..." the knight calmly replied.

After a brief silence, Seliah directed her attention back to Daloth, Oude choosing not to respond further. "Daloth. Are we going the right way?" He's a fool, yes, but I see no reason for him to deny something as simple as direction. She restlessly drummed her fingers along the spine of her tome.

As Gytha made her way toward the docks and all that water, the carriage carrying the deliberating hooded man headed away from the that area, still on its way toward the western gate. Their paths quickly intersected and the driver flinched.

"Hey miss! Watch where you're going!" he yelled out as he tried to stop the horses. He couldn't afford to run someone over, not at a time like this.

The mariner picked up her speed, lengthening her strides to get out of the carriage's way. "Me appologies, sir!" she called to the driver as she turned on the other side of the road once she was out of his way. Then, to the following wyvern rider, "Oy! Fly higher, wyvern rider or ye might hit the coach!" After that, she continued towards the ocean.

OoC: Heh. Timing. Just to let you know, trying to get Gytha into the air will result in violence.

Edited by Mercakete

The carriage came to a quick stop as Gytha rushed by along with a wyvern rider. The jostling prompted both the men inside to open up the doors and look out either side to what had caused the disturbance. Spotting Gytha and Domovoi with his own eyes, the man called out to them both.

"Are you people insane?! Watch the road!"

"It's hiiiim!!!" a girl called out from the nearby crowds that were flanking the carriage.

"... uh oh." he muttered before ducking back into the carriage and slamming the door shut. The other man did the same.

"Oh dear. You know how they get once you take a peek, sir."

"I know, I know. I completely forgot. Dammit."

The crowds quickly converged on the now still carriage. "Rodrigo!" a woman called out. He sighed. The same was repeated by others for a short while and the carriage rocked a little from their efforts to get him to come out.

"They're not going to leave us alone until I-"

"If you go out their, sir, they'll tear you apart and divide you up amongst themselves ... um ... figuratively ... ... then again possibly literally given their fervor."

"Well where's the driver? He knows the drill. If the people get too close, we just brush past them. Why aren't we moving?" Rodrigo asked.

"Put me down! I don't do this sort of carried around thing! Rodrigo! Do something! Help!"

"Thaaat's not a good sooound." he muttered. Sign a hundred and fifty autographs, or wait a few hours for the guards to clear this mess out ... decisions decisions.

"Whoa!" Gytha skitted to a stop at the sudden ruckuss behind her. Hmm. I could help that one out, but... ... But the sea... ... Oh, might as well. With a bit of a sigh at her delayed traverse, Gytha pushed her way through the crowd, pulled out her pistol and twirled it, back leaning against the carriage. The crowd's reaction would determine what she'd do next but for now she simply knocked politely on the frame of the door. "Sir, ye need someone to clear these citizens out without casualties?" she asked. Whoever this was was apparently rich. That would help.

Edited by Mercakete

What a weird group. What a weird job he had! I must be out of my mind doing this. I could probably just settle down somewhere and live a quiet life, maybe have a family... who knows? He sighed to himself, listening as Raquel gave out an order to whatever, an order Nanahm could get behind. In his weariness, he forgot to thank that healer lady from the other day. What luck! She was still with the group, or at least still within sight! Without further adieu, he approached the mage.

"Hey, wait up!" He said as he caught up to her. "Sorry if i'm interrupting anything, just thought I'd come up to ya and say thanks for yesterday. Would've probably been eatin some dirt if you weren't there, and, well... I tend to give credit where it's due, so... thanks, again. The name's Nanahm, by the way, in case you were wondering." he added a smile at the end of his sentence, like his name was just that awesome, and to him, well... it was.

No casualties would be nice indeed. It also meant he wouldn't have to wait for the guards. "Sir, I think that's the girl that got us into this mess in the first place." the other man commented sounding a bit annoyed.

"Most people just run along and leave messes behind them. If she's willing to help deal with this then I'm all for it." he replied preparing to open the door just enough for her to be able to hear his reply. "Fixing this mess you helped cause? By all means. I'd like your name first though, if you don't mind."

"Goodness, she's carrying a gun, sir. You don't suppose she's going to fire it do you?"

Rodrigo shrugged, barely able to hide the fact that he didn't care either way, and waited for the name.

Veronika heard a rather loud ruckus come from the direction the wyvern rider flew off to. I'm associated with them, so I suppose I should go over there and see what the trouble is...

She came upon the scene, which seemed to involve a stopped carriage and the pirate woman with her pistol out. She heard the name "Rodrigo" shouted several times. Hmm, how many people named Rodrigo are there in Ursium? And that carriage looks like it belongs to someone of wealth?

Slipping through the crowd, Veronika went up to the man who appeared to be eager to leave the scene that the others were addressing as 'Rodrigo'. "Excuse me, are you Rodrigo Vasquez? I have a document that pertains to you that you might be interested in...once you get out of this mess of course," she said, surveying the scene.

Who's that? She looks familliar. Ah well. "Me name's Gytha, sir," she replied, "And don't worry about all this. I know how to handle this." With that, Gytha pointed her gun into the air and drew her blade. "All a' ye out of the way!" she bellowed at the people crowding the driver and horses. After waiting around one second, she fired a shot into the air. "Drive, driver!" ...Then she noticed the lack of a driver. Luckily the horses reared before taking off like the shot Gytha'd just fired so the mariner had enough time to grab onto the carriage and sheath her sword, setting her pistol at her belt again. The land-ship was already moving when she hastily climbed the side to the driver's seat. Alright, it can't be too hard. Those are called horses and you pull on these riggs to steer'em. So... BYLEVIATHANTHERE'SABUILDING!! Gytha yanked on the reigns. The horses made a moderately sharp turn around the bend. Alright, not too bad.. She pulled at the reigns again to steer around annother corner.

"Hehe.." she was actually kind of enjoying this. Looking up, she wondered if the other woman had also managed to take hold of the carriage or if the wyvern rider was flying nearby. They'd be handy, maybe. The horses turned again. Looks like they can steer themselves. At least I won't be crashing.

With everything finished as far as work was concerned, Raquel leaned back in the driver's seat of the wagon and relaxed a bit. She supposed she would just wait around for the others to get back, but then it occurred to her that instead of resting, she should instead use her free time to brush up on all the study she had neglected.

She had quite a few choices but the basic categories narrowed down to two things she could focus on, combat, or trade. She figured they would be dealing with their enemies a bit sooner than anything else and opted to dig around for the old strategy book Jethro had purchased ages ago. Flipping through it she noticed very detailed descriptions of military unit types. She began commenting on things aloud as they peaked her interest.

"Hmm ... wyvern riders ... we've got two of those ..." she commented. A moment later after reading through a few paragraphs ... "Whoa, they can do what? Oh that may come in handy with Synthia's situation. I'd better talk with them about this when we meet up again."

Meanwhile Amon had followed the commotion to its source and hid out on a nearby rooftop. He kept an eye on events as they unfolded.

"What's going on down there? Veronika and those other two are there ...

Rodrigo nodded in response to Gytha naming herself. The other man simply said "Never heard a name like that before." When another woman arrived, Rodrigo smiled a bit. Apparently she knew his name also, though he would find the reasons a bit startling. "A document?" Before he could say anything else, Gytha's crowd controlling began and they ended up on a wild ride!

"Lord Wrath stop this woman before she sends us into a wall!" the dark clothed man screamed while bumping around all over the place. Rodrigo kept his seating and held himself still during the ride, trying to stay calm. "She spooked the blasted horses ... well ... it's not as bad as it probably should be. I think we'll be okay if we can just get the horses to stop. ... I'll be right back."

"Wait, where are you going?!" he shot back in fear.

Without answering, Rodrigo pushed the door open further and went out onto the outside of the wagon to climb up to the top.

Just then, a gunshot was heard. Everyone around stopped in their tracks to try to figure out where it come from.

'That sound...' Johhn thought. 'Like back in Sergio...' He quickly hopped on Gil and ordered him to rise. Up in the air, he took a look down around the town. He soon spotted the carriage going quikly through the streets.

'A gunshot... now this carriage...' He shook his head. 'Nah, this can't be... can it?' Without else, he kept his view on the carriage, while trying to follow it though mantaining his altitude.

Amon quickly made his way down from the rooftop knowing that at the speed they were going, he wouldn't be able to keep up with them given their speed, and there were some rooftops that he felt certain would if nothing else, slow him down considerably. With the crowd somewhat dispersed, he easily made his way over to Veronika having a question ready. "That man. Is he someone we're supposed to be looking for?"

Meanwhile Rodrigo climbed to the top of the wagon and looked back over his shoulder. "What direction are we heading in again?" I can't remember what turns we made. Mercy help us if we're heading back toward the harbor at this speed. He quickly made his way to the front of the carriage and tapped Gytha on the shoulder.

"Do you mind if I take things from here, Gytha?" he said in a calm polite voice a bit obscured by the noise around.

Gytha looked up at the tap at her shoulder and simply nodded with her grin as she replied, "A'course! After all, I'm not land-savvy. No idea what I'm doing right now or where we're bound. This is me first time here, after all! By the way, what city is this? I smelled the salt so I was headed for the ocean." As she spoke, she handed off the reigns and slid to the side. She certainly was carefree about the whole situation.