-The game is unable to save/load the ingame way solved

Progress log:

Weapon/item names translated (100%)

Character names translated (100%)

Enemy names translated (100%)

Stats/Menus translated (100%)

Intro translated (100%)

Dialogue translated (100%)

Armory, Shops, Arena's, Secret Shops and storages (100%)

Death quotes (100%)

Ending + Credits (100%)

Total progress: 99%

Releases:

Mirror download - version 0.9

Special thanks to:

HHHIII - For providing the whole dialogue translation.

Artemis251 - For some small translations and some useful tips

VincentASM - For some small translations

Flock of Geese - For bug testing

Videos:

The translated intro (January 15th, 2011)

I'm going to redo this from scratch this summer, because I think the whole patch was done very amateurish. I had zero knowledge of romhacking before I started this project, I learned it on the way and now I feel like I can make a much better patch, but trying to fix this patch will be at least as much work as starting a whole new one.

Planned changes include:

-The full dialogue will be inserted thanks to not having to deal with space issues

-Official names will be used instead of the fan names

-Bugs and mistakes will be fixed (example: music present in Aimee's shop and vulnenary->vulnerary)

Edited by WindMage25
Added additional download link

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though FE 11 and FE 3 are technically superior, I still have a warm spot in my heart for FE1, even though that the lack of icons for items makes the game unplayable for me (I can't read Japanese).

Nice presentation! Almost makes me want to check it out, but FE11 and FE3 have given me enough of Marth's first adventure. But it might still be nice to see the original original, how it all started it out and stuff. No highlighted movement tiles would be a pain though. I don't know how they did it way back in Ancient 1990.

All items and menus are done, if I'm reading the first post correctly?

Because that's all I need to play this. Is the patch fully playable? Can I have it as-is, if so?

I think it's playable yet, though I have not tested everything. My plan was to just insert the dialogue chapter for chapter and then play that chapter to see if everything works.

Because of that I haven't reached the end yet and not every item's tested. But if everythign works, the items, names, battle screens and menus are translated and this game would be playable.

I was planning to not release a patch before all was done, but I consider bring out a patch soon. So keep an eye on this topic I would say ;)

By the way, I also fixed a bug: in most of the roms there's some game data different which makes you not able to save ingame (so you would have to use save states). I compared one of those roms with a rom that was able to save and changed it, so now my patch also includes change data which makes your rom able to save with the ingame method :)

Edited by Quirino

Ah, smart of you to do a quick run through of the game first. The other patch didn't do that and the game was unplayable (freeze at C12) as a result.

I'm very much looking forward to this as a time-waster until FE3DS. Good luck!

I had that same patch yes, after it froze after chapter 12 (which was a result of Minerva's name being too long for the pick units window by the way), I decided to make one myself.

Anyway, I'm currently working on the intro screen (class roll).

Translated the dialogue for chapter 2, but I came upon a problem: hard-coded text in the heal screens. Is someone here good with ASM and hard-coded text because I know nothing about ASM >_<

Anyway, here are a few screens, one of some dialogue of Ch. 2 and three of the battle screen:

http://i50.tinypic.com/16hm90g.png

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n02f12.png

http://i45.tinypic.com/2j68n53.png

http://i50.tinypic.com/10n85yf.png

Edited by Quirino

• 2 months later...

Excellent work, I must say. I'd pay you for it if I could >.>... But I can't.

... Still, you're doing a service to us all, who can't be bothered playing FE1 due to a lack of English.

Edited by Callum

• 3 months later...

OK, half a year after my latest screenshots I thought it was about time to write something again.

The project is still alive! I haven't worked on it for all this time, because I was so frustrated about not being able to translate the hard-coded parts, and I could never find the spirit to go on with the project. However, with the help of Artemis251, I managed to find a solution which I'm content with. My excuse to everyone who has been waiting on it all the time and thought the project was dead.

What has been done in that half year:

-The intro is now fully translated

-Chapter 3 is translated

Don't worry, in christmas holiday I'll work on it with turbo speed. I will complete it!

I'm glad you found a way around it, I've been keeping an eye on this. The first FE has tempted me but I couldn't navigate through the menus so I gave up.

May I ask what you're using to do the translation? Just out of curiousity.

Nice to see the project's still rolling.

BTW, are you looking for proof-readers for the script. With the story already being available in the form of FE3 and FE DS, you might need a pretty good script to interest fans.

@VincentASM: Actually not. It's a real tussle to fit the text in the small area you got without DTE or Dictionary Compression (just with some squished tiles). I'm content with my script and I really don't feel like reinserting it, except for the grammar mistakes (which the beta testers will locate). The text will not be as specific as the Mystery of the Emblem and Shadow Dragon text, just because I've got less space, but it says about the same.

Also, I think only the hardcore fans will actually play this, because Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is the same game, but with better graphics.

So if there's someone who wants to offer his help as a beta tester, please leave a message. You have to have good knowledge of the English language (at least better than I do).

Anyway, all chapters up to 5 have been translated and the storage and arena text has been translated as well and some other small things. However, now I have christmas vacation, so I can go in turbo speed. Expect a lot of chapters being translated in the next two weeks.

Edited by Quirino

Ah okay, it's no problem. I realise space can be an issue, especially for older games.

In that case, would be okay if I just look through the script for mistakes or translation errors? I don't have the time to beta test the actual game ^^;;;

Sure, but do you mind to wait until I translated a bit more?

And can someone please translate this. It shows up when one receives an item while he/she already holds four items. If you choose the top option the item is put into the storage and when you choose the bottom option I believe it gets dropped.

2mwttv9.png

edit: Uploaded some new screenshots of chapter 5 and the storage.

http://i54.tinypic.com/15s8pdg.png

http://i53.tinypic.com/adkdb9.png

http://i56.tinypic.com/2z3zxjt.png

http://i52.tinypic.com/314eelg.png

Edited by Quirino

Hah! Glad to see things are still going. I've just started my Christmas holidays as well, so I can't wait to play through the original for the first time, once it is complete - It'll be the last FE game I've beaten (I've even beaten FE12 in Japanese, didn't think I would).

• 2 weeks later...

That text says:

azukeru

nanika suteru

mochimono ga ippai desu

dou shimasu ka

Mostly from the dictionary:

azukeru: to deposit

nanika: something

suteru: to throw away

mochimono: property

ippai: full

dou shimasu ka: what are you going to do

So it says:

Store

Throw away something (???)

Your inventory is full. What will you do?

My Japanese is not good enough to tell me if the second one means "throw away the item" (which you could shorten to "discard") or "throw away something else", but you can probably tell from what the game does at that point.

Are you using the double-line hack? You should probably do that. The dialogue is looking a little sparse.

Also, is this you? It looks like it is:

http://forums.feplan...showtopic=43809

Anyway, good luck and godspeed! I've been playing this game quite a bit in the original Japanese, but a translation would be nice, no matter how much text you can fit in.

Edited by Flock of Geese

Are you using the double-line hack? You should probably do that. The dialogue is looking a little sparse.

Also, is this you? It looks like it is:

http://forums.feplanet.net/index.php?showtopic=43809

Anyway, good luck and godspeed! I've been playing this game quite a bit in the original Japanese, but a translation would be nice, not matter how much text you can fit in.

No, I am not and I won't, because of two reasons.

1: I do not know a thing about ASM, so I can't use the double-line hack and also no DTE or MTE/Dictionary Compression. So that's why the text looks a little sparse. I tried to learn it, but it just isn't my thing, sorry.

2: DarknessSavior's translation also used the double-line hack, and it seems it causes a bug which makes you unable to use shops.

And yes, that's me. But I haven't posted there for a while. Here on SerenesForest is always my updated log.