What asset/flaw do you favor? Why?

Never played Lunatic - I'm not so starved for challenge that I'd take on a difficulty that essentially forces me to play paired up to make it look bearable. But I've read the horror stories.

Lunatic is honestly not that bad past earlygame

Didn't even bother with +Def or +Spd or whatever the optimal build is these days, stuck to my standard +str -res did fine no grind

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I didn't realize in making HP my flaw is that the HP asset/flaw also impacts your def and res. It may very well be the best asset for players looking for a tankier route, given that it improves every defensive growth, base, max stat, and modifier with the exception of avoid %.

Yeah I forgot about that part too. What I was really referring to was the 1 pt of HP vs. 1 pt of Defense argument, but thanks for pointing that out.

That's a pretty extreme example since, well, when are you doing to have one guy face 20 of theirs in a single turn??

Right, I know it's taking it to the extremes, but I thought it was most illustrative that way. It's still true if you are only getting attacked by 5-10 enemies. Besides, I've done/seen chapters that are basically soloes with things like Nosferatu/sol tanks where one unit takes on at least 20 units, but I realize that isn't the context here.

Walhart's speed sucks though

Walhart's so good that he doesn't even need speed.

Edited by Walhart

Female: +Mag -Luk

Male: +Str -Luk

I have a thing for magic. I like using magic alot, quite useful to me since 1~2 range.

Str. heh I don't know. I use too much physical class when playing Mamu.

Luck is just because. Honestly it isn't bad since I get it quite often even if flaw. o3o

Except with Lunatic. 2 Luck is just horrible.

I don't have one I specifically prefer, because I like playing around with it, but both Silver and Silvia have a "canon" set-up even though technically, they're supposed to have two flaws.

Silver: +Magic, -Speed and -Luck

Silvia: +Speed, -Defense and -Strength

Both of them are supposed to be magic-biased, so I had to figure out a way to fit that in. So I gave Silver the magic asset, making him the "magic" expert of the family and gave Silvia a strength flaw so she'd default to tomes, which she does better at.

Silver's speed and luck flaws have to do with his cautious nature - he's well aware of how bad his luck is and works with that in mind, double-checking and weighing every option before deciding to do practically anything. The speed flaw is merely to give him something opposite of his sister, plus he does take considerably more time doing things in order to ensure he does them right the first time.

Silvia on the other hand, is far, far faster than her brother and uses this to advantage - can't hurt something if you can't catch it, right? Even more important for her considering how painfully fragile she is and unlike her brother, who can wield both swords and tomes without any difficulty but prefers tomes, she's less experienced with physical weapons and prefers tomes because she can actually use them without failing.

... I put WAY too much thought into this.

+Magic -Strength, because the default Sage magic cap of 46 isn't enough to annihilate everything, and I like the minor speed boost too.

Tried +Speed -Strength, but the resulting MU doesn't have enough offensive power in both physical and magical departments.

I chose +Res -Str so my kids and I can survive Celica's Galeforce and Galeforce back in StreetPass.

An interesting choice.

Because I only play on Lunatic/Lunatic+ I use +Speed and -Luck. Reasons are probably within another post in this thread.

Well, IMO at least, -LUK is not advised for Lunatic since having 2 luck down from 4 is pretty awful when lots of enemies early on can has Zeal, Gamble, Thunder tomes, Focus, high Skill, or Anathema.

Edited by Levant Fortner

An interesting choice.

Well, IMO at least, -LUK is not advised for Lunatic since having 2 luck down from 4 is pretty awful when lots of enemies early on can has Zeal, Gamble, Thunder tomes, Focus, high Skill, or Anathema.

Eh, when that time comes, I'll just play Frederick Emblem until I can access to Outrealm Gate and grind from there.

Eh, when that time comes, I'll just play Frederick Emblem until I can access to Outrealm Gate and grind from there.

This is exactly what I do xD

I actually found Frederick Emblem to be quite an amusing minigame :L

Lunatic is honestly not that bad past earlygame

Didn't even bother with +Def or +Spd or whatever the optimal build is these days, stuck to my standard +str -res did fine no grind

But Frederick Emblem would get boring so fast... you don't have any idea.

You probably stuck with your low-manning strategy, didn't you... That'd get boring for me too.

I find 5-6 combatants hardly low-manning and it was full-deploy/nearfull deploy anyway

MU/Chrom/variouspeopleafterLucinaborn, Sully/Fred, Panne/Lonk, Lucina/Chrom, Morgan/Kjelle, Anna/Tiki (Kellam prior), and Libra/Cordelia (Lissa prior to Libra) makes 12-14 (12 'cuz morgan and kjelle were p late) deployed that's pretty much most map's deploy limit or almost for those weird-ass chapters with 13-15

Fred emblem was only very earlygame, Sully took the full-time lead as soon as she was able so I don't see your point?

Edited by Thor Odinson

I've played lunatic mode many times, all of them using luck as the flaw and never had a problem with crits. That's probably because by the end of the prologue my avatar is already overpowered, though.

Edited by Nobody

For my hard classic file (male): +Speed -Luck

I wanted speed because being able to double and dodge is important to me and luck is one thing that I really could be fine parting with.

For my recently started Lunatic casual file (female): +Defense -Luck

I want to try to be more tanky but I was debating speed because I knew that prologue myrmidons double without speed asset. But I got through the prologue just fine. (Now I gotta get that stupid chapter 1 out of the way)

I've played lunatic mode many times, all of them using luck as the flaw and never had a problem with crits. That's probably because by the end of the prologue my avatar is already overpowered, though.

that's probably because you know what you're doing

tbh, accuracy isn't that good for Avatar in earlygame Lunatic either though (and potential issues later too). Going -Skl lowers long term Str/Skl/Def and going -Res lowers Mag/Spd. -Luck is probably the least likely to negatively affect reliability overall.

The differences are marginal though. Though +Hp/Def or +Mag/Spd all have notable defensive or offensive advantages. -Luck/Skl/Res are all good choices for flaws. -Hp demolishes your Hp growth if the Growth Project is anything to go by (it's probably -25% or something). I don't think any of the cap modifiers matter at all. Even Apotheosis is fairly easy with an unoptimized team imo, as skills are way more important.

I personally like +Spd/-Luck in HM. +Def/-Luck in LM.

I do wonder if +Hp could be better for Lunatic+ as a buffer for Luna+...

But Frederick Emblem would get boring so fast... you don't have any idea.

You probably stuck with your low-manning strategy, didn't you... That'd get boring for me too.

So long as I get to the Outrealm Gate, I'll be fine.

tbh, accuracy isn't that good for Avatar in earlygame Lunatic either though (and potential issues later too). Going -Skl lowers long term Str/Skl/Def and going -Res lowers Mag/Spd.

Duly noted. Though it's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make, having skill as my flaw.

Duly noted. Though it's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make, having skill as my flaw.

See, it's all about finding out what you're willing to sacrifice, and what you want to do. I'm not gonna sacrifice Skill in any way (I do not count a -1 Penalty on Skill as a sacrifice when it comes to the Avatar, but I do count a -3 Penalty as one) because I want to have a decent Skill proc rate. Yet, I'm able to sacrifice Luck because Luck is gonna be rather big anyways, the 2 Luck stat start is a fine sacrifice to make for me, and the Avatar's Luck growth will suffice, even at 50 or 45 percent, or Strength because only one Avatar will likely wield anything that isn't magic, and the builds for the -Strength Morgans I have makes everything I want to do with them work out fine anyways. Whether I go -Luck or -Strength, the combat performance of my Avatar and Morgan (and any other children the Avatar gets) will be exactly where I want it to be, and be around the best they can aspire too for me as well.

• 4 years later...

I typically go +Skill/Strength and -Luck/Resistance. Luck is something I rarely use. Not many "top tier" skills (Lethality, Aether, Pavise, Aegis, etc) use Luck or Resistance. The only thing I can think of is Miracle and Armsthrift. I was about weapon durability and Armsthrift wasnt a thing but I was still thinking about Fates. Though I really dont get much use out of either stat in that game either. *Shrug*