HG/SS Ingame Tier List

Don Draper

Well, Signal Beam is useful against several of Will's Pokemon, and Umbreon who is a pain in the arse to KO. You should learn it on time for the E4.

Magnemite and Voltorb offer less in terms of coverage (though Magnemite gets Flash Cannon for dual special STAB now), and they have advantages of their own: Magnemite gets durability thanks to its typing, while Voltorb outspeeds stuff. However, Magneton learns Discharge too late, at lv. 40, before which it should resort to either attacking physically with Spark or buying the inaccurate Thunder (hey, it does have good PP). They are also all absent to take on Falkner and Bugsy's Scyther, on whom Mareep gets to enjoy super-effective Thundershocks. It probably fears Scyther's U-Turn though, so you better have something that resists it, like a good fire or rock type, fight it instead.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably fears Scyther's U-Turn though, so you better have something that resists it, like a good fire or rock type, fight it instead.

Like Slugma, since your only other option is Cyndaquil. Speaking of which, Rock Throw is x4 effective on that Scyther. Suppose I'll test it out though.

As for my team, I have decided the last two to be Stantler and Chinchou. Chinchou satisfies the need for both anti air AND a water type, while Stantler is sort of a curiosty to me that I wish to satisfy.

Wooper should rise above Tentacool IMO.

-Comes early.

-Gets water gun at base, and I believe it gets yawn too.

-Swampert Lite

-somewhat early evolution at lvl 20

Most of the early portions of the game Slugma absolutely dropkicks. Can have Rock Throw for Falkner and Bugsy's annoying ass Scyther, Flame Body makes up somewhat for it's merely ok defense, which in turn helps with his completely ass speed. Lots of things do not have a lot of Sp Def early on either, so his Ember deals a really bad number most of the time. Slugma can basically solo Bugsy's entire gym, and is an early way to deal with Flying outside of Mareep (who basically just has Thunder moves until the punches while Slugma has that+Fire and Rock does better against the likes of Scyther). This is especially helpful, since hte most common flying type for a while is Zubat, who relies on Leech Life early on for offense, something Slugma resists along with Scyther's U-Turn. His Flame Body and Yawn can also help with Whitney's gigantic pain in the ass Miltank in the instance you don't have a way to spam Paralysis (AKA, you don't have Mareep). Also, it getting Recover is pretty damn silly since while Slugma's no tank, he's not exactly fragile either.

Only weak portion I've experienced so far is that Slugma's start sucks. It relies on it's Flamebody and the completely awful Smog until it learns Ember, but after that he's been good so far.

Still have a ways to go though since that's just early portions. Will report back as I get through more of the game. I predict he'll be good against the likes of Jasmine and Brice though, but I will say it's late evolution can only hurt him for sure. But so far, he's been nearly nothing but awesome positive.

Bugsy I'll give you, but Falkner... I'll just state that Roost removes the user's flying type for the turn, and since Slugma's, well, sloooow... Rock Throw will be just a normally effective attack assuming he uses it

Edited by Metal King Slime

Bugsy I'll give you, but Falkner... I'll just state that Roost removes the user's flying type for the turn, and since Slugma's, well, sloooow... Rock Throw will be just a normally effective attack assuming he uses it

This is what Yawn is for, because you don't want it recovering health in the first place. Besides, even if it does get off a Roost, getting a burn on it with Ember only helps.

This is what Yawn is for, because you don't want it recovering health in the first place. Besides, even if it does get off a Roost, getting a burn on it with Ember only helps.

Ember? I hope you meant Flame Body, because I don't think you'd want to rely on a 10% chance working in your favor... And if you burn it, you can't sleep it.

Ember? I hope you meant Flame Body, because I don't think you'd want to rely on a 10% chance working in your favor... And if you burn it, you can't sleep it.

True, but you can depend on Ember AND Flame Body after all. Ember just helps as a buffer. It's also not that big a nerf in damage since he has better Sp Atk and STAB. Rock Throw still hits harder, but if it roosts then it's not THAT big a deal.

True, but you can depend on Ember AND Flame Body after all. Ember just helps as a buffer. It's also not that big a nerf in damage since he has better Sp Atk and STAB. Rock Throw still hits harder, but if it roosts then it's not THAT big a deal.

Either way, I still think this reeks of hype, and that's one bad habit I think it'll be a cold day in hell before you kick to the curb.

Either way, I still think this reeks of hype, and that's one bad habit I think it'll be a cold day in hell before you kick to the curb.

Try it yourself and call me a liar then. In the meantime I got more testing to do. As I said, this is only early portions. I still got a whole game to test it out in.

Try it yourself and call me a liar then. In the meantime I got more testing to do. As I said, this is only early portions. I still got a whole game to test it out in.

Hey, don't blame me for thinking there's a limit to how much usefulness a Pokemon with bad stats in everything aside from Special Attack and a late evolution can have. Also, I should've pointed this out, but Whitney's Miltank has a Lum Berry.

Also, it getting Recover is pretty damn silly since while Slugma's no tank, he's not exactly fragile either.

- Slugma

- not exactly fragile

What's 40/40/40 base Hp/Def/SpD to you then?

Edited by Metal King Slime

Hey, don't blame me for thinking there's a limit to how much usefulness a Pokemon with bad stats in everything aside from Special Attack and a late evolution can have. Also, I should've pointed this out, but Whitney's Miltank has a Lum Berry.

1. Sp Atk is all it needs, since everything early on it either resists or is a complete pussy. You do not run into a lot of things that have ground attacks, nor is there a lot of water. And of course anything that goes down before it can hit you too many times isn't doing that much damage. Good offense is the best defense, etc etc.

2. Miltank's indeed got a Lum Berry, but you'd prefer to not even attempt to status it? Unless you're using Machop, you are pretty much strapped for options against that damn thing. Even WITH Machop, she can just flinch hax you until Machop derps out.

- Slugma

- not exactly fragile

What's 40/40/40 base Hp/Def/SpD to you then?

For how much it can do on it's own, you seem to not think it's getting a good early level lead, that is unless we're dumb and log our entire 6 team roster immediately. Seriously man, I have a damned log you can read just below this topic on the pokemon forum, I'm not exactly pulling this out of my ass.

1. Sp Atk is all it needs, since everything early on it either resists or is a complete pussy. You do not run into a lot of things that have ground attacks, nor is there a lot of water. And of course anything that goes down before it can hit you too many times isn't doing that much damage. Good offense is the best defense, etc etc.

2. Miltank's indeed got a Lum Berry, but you'd prefer to not even attempt to status it? Unless you're using Machop, you are pretty much strapped for options against that damn thing. Even WITH Machop, she can just flinch hax you until Machop derps out.

For how much it can do on it's own, you seem to not think it's getting a good early level lead, that is unless we're dumb and log our entire 6 team roster immediately. Seriously man, I have a damned log you can read just below this topic on the pokemon forum, I'm not exactly pulling this out of my ass.

1. I thought that rule was only true if you could KO crap before you got hit too much?

2. TBH, I think I'd rather Thunder Wave it twice than pray I luck out with Flame Body twice, considering it'll be faster than damn near anything you have at that point.

1. I thought that rule was only true if you could KO crap before you got hit too much?

2. TBH, I think I'd rather Thunder Wave it twice than pray I luck out with Flame Body twice, considering it'll be faster than damn near anything you have at that point.

1. Slugma can do this, just it can't ignore the first blow at the least for the most part.

2. Not saying it's perfect, but he has the option. It still makes things easier as it reduces it's ridiculous attack and whittles it's health down.

I should probably note I'm merely reporting Slugma's earlygame performance since I'm clearly still testing (for the umpteenth time), and I'm not arguing it to top tier here. I'm giving it an Upper Mid thought at best for what I'm currently experiencing with it right now, but my opinion could clearly change as I delve deeper into the game.

EDIT: By the way, how many reliable Thunder Wave users do you have that won't just get punked out by Miltank on entry?

Edited by grandjackal

According to Serebii, Roost removing Flying type doesn't happen until Black/White. Is serebii wrong?

According to Serebii, Roost removing Flying type doesn't happen until Black/White. Is serebii wrong?

I found this about Roost on Bulbapedia:

If the user is a Flying-type, it will lose its Flying-type (thus being treated as a single-type Pokémon) until the next turn.