Proposed Thracia Names Changes

General Banzai

Thank you TheEnd, for showing everyone how I didn't copypasta mythological references where the Kana didn't add up

So... why can't it be Orshin? Osin? Osshen? Vergil?

No reason why not, but I thought you guys didn't want to make changes if they could be avoided. You guys overlook that I honestly tried to make as few changes as possible. I only made five playable character changes, and only two of them where particularly major, and one of those changes (Ilios) not only better fits the Kana but also helps the story make more sense, for reasons I already explained.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason why not, but I thought you guys didn't want to make changes if they could be avoided. You guys overlook that I honestly tried to make as few changes as possible. I only made five playable character changes, and only two of them where particularly major, and one of those changes (Ilios) not only better fits the Kana but also helps the story make more sense, for reasons I already explained.

Five player character names, and just about every major term in the game... That's where things really started to get fucking ridiculous. Hell, I even support Pan and Ilios. Some people are just opposed to changes on principle, but most are just opposed to changes on a whim. Saying that you "honestly tried to make as few changes as possible" is absolute absurdity. Most of them weren't even necessary. Oisin acknowledges a reference to an Irish warrior, at least there's meaning behind that change. Ethlinn? Balde? Freya? Niur? Connaught? Hothur? Dainn? Dermid? ....Why? They just seem so unnecessary.

Are you seriously trying to say that because you can spot errors (all subjectivity out of the roost), that that is now justification for you to propagate even more errors?

Except my translations AREN'T errors. It's simply that people don't want to change names that they don't feel are a problem. I do feel these names are a problem, though, and that is where the argument lies.

Even dondon said that there wasn't a whole lot wrong with my methodology per se, but rather my principle of changing the names to begin with.

Except my translations AREN'T errors. It's simply that people don't want to change names that they don't feel are a problem. I do feel these names are a problem, though, and that is where the argument lies.

You are STARTING to sound like Crash.

It's gonna be hilarious that, when we finally settle on Othin/Oisin/Oisheen, FE13 gets localized and he's a playable character there.

"OTIS has joined the party!"

On a more serious note, my take on this is that if any name is romanized in-game, then it should be used no matter what. Wasn't that the reason the names of the Crusaders and several locations were kept like that in the first place?

Edited by Jave

For the text graphics, refer earlier in... this thread? I believe. I already pointed out where the graphics are located and how to access them.

We found the graphics, but we don't have a tool that can handle editing the actual script.

(okay that's a lie- I know how to but it's a pain in the ass to do it by hand and I can't be bothered to code a tool for it while school is in the way)

We found the graphics, but we don't have a tool that can handle editing the actual script.

(okay that's a lie- I know how to but it's a pain in the ass to do it by hand and I can't be bothered to code a tool for it while school is in the way)

Then don't. Though honestly, that sound more like a hand-jerking excuse, not a valid one.

Then don't. Though honestly, that sound more like a hand-jerking excuse, not a valid one.

Excuse me for not having a masterful knowledge of what exists or not on rh.net

not to mention that you're completely right- unless arch decides to ask me to, it is a hand-jerking response, I have no issue with the current patch (that I don't even use)

Excuse me for not having a masterful knowledge of what exists or not on rh.net

Except it's been used in the community for a looooooooooong time, not constricted to existing at romhacking dot net. It's not a matter of being unacquainted with that site in particular, but with text editing in the universal (of the hobby). It's been used for numerous projects, both purely-translation and just bobbing around with various edits.

I suppose it's more that you are a combination of both having not been around long enough, and having not known enough about the hobby in-general, to know this :/ Which is too bad--'cause there's a lot of cool shit out there that you'd probably make use of if you were around and were knowledgeable about the hobby in-general, rather than in-specifics.

I don't make it my purpose to have a complete knowledge about hacking the SNES games, nor do I keep track of progress in them. I consider ROMhacking my hobby only as far as direct coding/scripting is concerned.

For the most part, there's a lot of shit I really don't need to make use of because a) several times by the time I find something I'll have written it myself and b) it really doesn't matter to me.

I kind of got here late and I don't have much to add, but I really dislike the "people are all used to these names already, why bother changing them?" sentiment. People would complain if an FE4 retranslation used Barhara instead of Valhalla, right?

I was kind of disappointed when I read that the old FE4 translation got a ton of place names wrong, and I was sort of annoyed at the FE5 patch when I guessed that Wiseman was supposed to be Weissman (which is really anal because he's such a bit character, I know, but still). I'd love to see a professionally done translation that took great care in keeping all of the names and terminology accurate, so although I'm not totally sure if I agree with everything in the first post, I agree with your ideals.

People might be used to Barhara, but I don't think many people would argue that a retranslation of the game shouldn't fix it (which I think the new FE4 patch did, and no one really complained, so this might not be a great example. I just brought this up because I only learned about the new FE4 patch twenty minutes ago, and because Barhara stands out to me as the most egregiously wrong translation). I don't think that something wrong shouldn't be changed just because it's already ingrained in the fanbase.

Another example would be like how in Earthbound, there's a character named Pokey. He shows up in the sequel, Mother 3, and it becomes pretty clear that his name was always intended to be Porky; Pokey was just a translation error (or Nintendo's localization staff got creative). The people in charge of the Mother 3 fan translation went with Porky even though a large amount of the fanbase wanted them to stick with Pokey just because they grew up with that name, but I always thought the fan translators made the right choice.

I might be kind of anal about this because even I kind of disagree with some of the choices in the new FE4 patch (although I love one that people complained about), so I don't really expect a lot of people to agree with me. I just wanted to voice my opinion.

People might be used to Barhara, but I don't think many people would argue that a retranslation of the game shouldn't fix it (which I think the new FE4 patch did, and no one really complained, so this might not be a great example. I just brought this up because I only learned about the new FE4 patch twenty minutes ago, and because Barhara stands out to me as the most egregiously wrong translation). I don't think that something wrong shouldn't be changed just because it's already ingrained in the fanbase.

Nit-picking slightly, but Barhara is more of a modified version of Valhalla rather than a crude romanisation. The romaji is Baahara, which means it can only be Varhalla at best.

In other words, Barhara isn't an "egregiously wrong" translation.

In other words, Barhara isn't an "egregiously wrong" translation.

I'm willing to admit that I was wrong about that, but wasn't it accepted that Pan's name doesn't have to be Parn even though it also uses the vowel extension? Even if that fits here, I guess I have to withdraw the "egregious" statement.

I'm willing to admit that I was wrong about that, but wasn't it accepted that Pan's name doesn't have to be Parn even though it also uses the vowel extension? Even if that fits here, I guess I have to withdraw the "egregious" statement.

Pan/Pahn is a particularly ridiculous example as the original translators changed the name when the Kana for the character and the Greek God were exactly the same.

The developer intent may be not to have exactly Valhalla, but the currently translated version deviates from Valhalla in ways that are NOT expressed in the Kana. For instance, changing the V to a B.

using a "b" consonant in japanese to express "v" consonants in foreign languages is extremely common - more common than using ヴ with a small vowel

once again, demonstrating a lack of japanese knowledge

Edited by dondon151

Banzai, you still haven't realized that kana isn't an exact 1:1 representation of foreign words. Pan with and without the elongated sound are both valid--please don't tell me you're checking jp.wikipedia as validation, please

Edited by Celice

Banzai, you still haven't realized that kana isn't an exact 1:1 representation of foreign words. Pan with and without the elongated sound are both valid--please don't tell me you're checking jp.wikipedia as validation, please

Oh because Pahn really makes tons of sense over Pan

Like honestly, in English we slap those Hs in our elongated vowel sounds all the time

By your logic, Thellis is a perfectly valid translation of your name.

Oh because Pahn really makes tons of sense over Pan

Like honestly, in English we slap those Hs in our elongated vowel sounds all the time

as long as it indicates that it's not supposed to rhyme with "can," i'm fine with it

By your logic, Thellis is a perfectly valid translation of your name.

as is serisu, therris, serlis, etc.

using a "b" consonant in japanese to express "v" consonants in foreign languages is extremely common - more common than using ヴ with a small vowel

once again, demonstrating a lack of japanese knowledge

So what you're saying is, the kana does not express a difference, yes?

Perhaps you might consider paying attention next time?

Edited by Othin