Fire Emblem NES Translation

Quirino

No, I am not and I won't, because of two reasons.

1: I do not know a thing about ASM, so I can't use the double-line hack and also no DTE or MTE/Dictionary Compression. So that's why the text looks a little sparse. I tried to learn it, but it just isn't my thing, sorry.

2: DarknessSavior's translation also used the double-line hack, and it seems it causes a bug which makes you unable to use shops.

And yes, that's me. But I haven't posted there for a while. Here on SerenesForest is always my updated log.

Ah, I see. Well, I hope you can manage to make the dialogue turn out well. It seems to be going alright, from the looks of it.

Either way, I'm glad you're still working on this. I haven't been to FEplanet in a while. I forgot my password and their recovery system is broken.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated the first post with the progress. Actually all that's done is chapter 11-14.

I'm psyched.

By the way, I'd like to make a suggestion. You don't have to take it, but here it is.

In the current translation for Fire Emblem: Gaiden, the translator put in several font tiles that included two letters side-by-side. Things like "li" or "ll," or other slim letters. Have you considered doing this? It could save room and make the text look a bit more spiffy.

Of course, this won't work if there isn't space for the new font tiles.

EDIT: After looking at the progress pics, it looks like you're doing just that! Way to go!

Edited by Flock of Geese

I'm psyched.

By the way, I'd like to make a suggestion. You don't have to take it, but here it is.

In the current translation for Fire Emblem: Gaiden, the translator put in several font tiles that included two letters side-by-side. Things like "li" or "ll," or other slim letters. Have you considered doing this? It could save room and make the text look a bit more spiffy.

Of course, this won't work if there isn't space for the new font tiles.

EDIT: After looking at the progress pics, it looks like you're doing just that! Way to go!

Yes, I'm doing that. Because of my lack of knowledge of ASM, I had to figure out somethign to input more text and this seemed the best option to me. Ofcourse I borrowed the idea (and the font) from the Gaiden translation.

The project is coming along nicely, I think it won't be long before it's finished.

I have come along a little line I don't know of what it means:

4vfdao.png

If someone could translate this for me, it would be very appreciated.

Whoa, what dragon is that? I never got that far in FE1...

If it's a Mage/Demon Dragon, then I think it should be "Merric's attack was/has been sealed".

ha kougeki o fuuji rare ta

kougeki is attack, fuuji is to seal/prevent/block

Edited by VincentASM

Ineffective kind of reminds me of Pokemon for some reason. A better word to use might be "negated", since ineffective kind of implies you're still doing some kind of damage.

I think in the FE3 translation, I stuck with "sealed" since I thought it sounded cooler (I always had the impression the magic negation was like the Silence staff or Kishuna, which seal off magic).

Thanks for the translation. I think I'll stick with sealed, because that's simply enough the shortest translation. This game has very little space in the attack screen, or it won't display, even less than in Gaiden.

But it's indeed a Demon Dragon (or Mage Dragon), it's the boss of chapter 17.

Edit: All dialogue's translated. All left to do for me is play through it and insert the death quotes and ending/credits. The translation is near completion!

Edited by Quirino

Thanks for the translation. I think I'll stick with sealed, because that's simply enough the shortest translation. This game has very little space in the attack screen, or it won't display, even less than in Gaiden.

But it's indeed a Demon Dragon (or Mage Dragon), it's the boss of chapter 17.

Edit: All dialogue's translated. All left to do for me is play through it and insert the death quotes and ending/credits. The translation is near completion!

OHGODOHGODOHGODIMSOPHYCHED!!!

By the way, Quirino, you said something about fixing an inability to save ingame. My rom doesn't seem to have any trouble with that. Are we talking about the suspend function? I just want to know what will happen if I apply the patch to a rom that already works fine.

Edited by Flock of Geese

@ Flock of Greese: All the roms I tried had this problem (except for the one I used to compare, which was an [a1] rom). Anyway, my patch will make sure every rom can save/load ingame.

And check the first post for my progress. All there's left is translate the text of what became of every character after the game. Then I will release a beta version for you to check for any mistakes.

Here it is! Fire Emblem NES translation beta version. It should be fully translated, but I would like you to test it to see if I haven't made any spelling/grammar mistakes or forgot anything. If you see any bugs also be sure to report it.

Things you should be wary of:

-Chapter 1 to 6 (after chapter 6 I reinserted the tiles, I think I changed all dialogue from these chapters, but please check that)

-Alan's ending (I chose Samson...)

Thanks in advance for testing it. If some people completed the game without reporting any bugs or so I will release the final patch.

edit: damn, forgot to upload the attachment, now it says 'Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file'. Wait a second please

edit 2: Here's the link: http://www.2shared.com/file/gq7HGs3N/FE1BETA.html

Edited by Quirino

Quirino, I have a bunch of comments I'd like to make. Where should I send them?

Oh, and by the way, the saving works fine. I'm using the [a1] version of the rom, and even though saving worked fine before, it still works now.

Edited by Flock of Geese

I'll report if there are any bugs in the patch. I'm just making the videos right now to show proof of the patch if it has any bugs in it or not. I can otherwise use a clean ROM to put in the new patch, that is if someone else has already finished reporting that there are no bugs in it and willing to release another version of the patch. And thanks for all of the hard work of the translation to my most favorite gsame of the series. :D

Edited by Princess_Priscilla

I'll report if there are any bugs in the patch. I'm just making the videos right now to show proof of the patch if it has any bugs in it or not. I can otherwise use a clean ROM to put in the new patch, that is if someone else has already finished reporting that there are no bugs in it and willing to release another version of the patch. And thanks for all of the hard work of the translation to my most favorite gsame of the series. :D

You're welcome!

By the way, I released this morning a new patch, check http://quirino.m10.mx/betapatches.html to see what additions have been made. This way you can see which bugs have already been fixed. However, there shouldn't be any major changes so you can play through it fine.

@Flock of Geese: the [a1] version was indeed the version I used to fix that ingame save problem. The 'normal' version couldn't save, the [a1] version could, so I compared those files and changed the data which makes it able to save.

Edited by Quirino

Is there someone who's testing this game? If yes, could he/she send a PM to me with the bugs he/she found? I need to know it as soon as possible, so I can bring out the final release.

No big news from me actually, except that I now know how to actually pronounce Ankoko Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi, but that's not important I guess.

Oh yes, here's the video of the final boss + credits. I have uploaded the whole final chapter, check it out!

Part 3 (Final Boss + Ending):

Sorry, I can only put one media file in a post. So check my youtube channel: http://youtube.com/user/Quirino26 for parts 1 and 2

Looks nice!

I won't be able to test, but if I have time, I might be able to give some comments based on the videos.

EDIT: By the way, Quirino, would you mind responding to my PM? I just want to confirm that you've received it. It's kinda important.

Edited by Flock of Geese

I've done the first few chapters and it's all great so far. Some of the characters ommited from FE3 really do come as surprises! The translation's fine, a little rewording might be nice in places but no bugs or fatal crashes so far.

I've done the first few chapters and it's all great so far. Some of the characters ommited from FE3 really do come as surprises! The translation's fine, a little rewording might be nice in places but no bugs or fatal crashes so far.

If you want, please send me a PM with which text you would like reworded.

Thank you

By the way, props for using Barts. How do you keep him equipped? Do you just use the storage? I know the later shops eventually stop carrying axes...

Barts was my only axe user. So I could keep him equipped by enemy drops (and send those items to storage). I never bought any axe. I mostly used steel and devil axes which I always had enough from. It's a shame though that axes have such low accuracy, that way Barts could never become one of my best units.

In the end you might consider using iron axes, they have lower power than steel axes but also some more accuracy and Barts will have enough strength to still own!

Barts was my only axe user. So I could keep him equipped by enemy drops (and send those items to storage). I never bought any axe. I mostly used steel and devil axes which I always had enough from. It's a shame though that axes have such low accuracy, that way Barts could never become one of my best units.

In the end you might consider using iron axes, they have lower power than steel axes but also some more accuracy and Barts will have enough strength to still own!

Nice. Glad to see axe users are still usable, even in the first game.

Also, sorry for pestering you, but again, could you please make sure to read my last PM? Thanks!