Fire Emblem: Multiplayer

Chudooder

Hey everyone!

My name is Chu, and I'm a recently converted Fire Emblem fan. My friend and I have been hard at work over the past few months on this project. It's what it says in the title: the Fire Emblem tactical experience ported to online multiplayer.

This isn't a super trimmed-down version like the Link Arena; instead, think online simulators like Pokemon Showdown, but for Fire Emblem. The core unit and turn-based gameplay remains the same. Grab a friend and fight to the death!

Please keep in mind that we're still actively working on this, that it's a very early (hopefully working) beta, and that there may be bugs.

Link to website (more info!): http://chudooder.github.io/FEMultiplayer/

Link to github repository (fork us!): https://github.com/chudooder/FEMultiplayer

Link to releases page (download links!): https://github.com/chudooder/FEMultiplayer/releases

How to play:

• Mouse, Arrow keys, Z = accept, X = cancel
  • If you want to set up a team before you battle, you can load up the client and go into the Team Builder. You can also save and load existing teams using the corresponding buttons.
  • One player needs to start the FEServer.jar server, which is in the .zip you download. The host will have to port forward on port 21255 (TCP/UDP).
  • Both players can then start the main client and connect to the server. (The displayed IP is your local IP, so unless you're doing LAN play, use your public IP: http://www.whatismyip.com/).
  • TIP: The server host can connect to a server on the same computer by using "localhost" as the ip. The remote client has to use the server's public IP.
  • Once both players ready up, then finalize their parties, the game will start.

Game modes and server configuration:

• Map is the level you will play on. We only have two right now. One might look very familiar to those who play certain ARTS games. dota
  • Objective is the objective of the game. Rout = kill everyone. Seize = kill the opposing Lord, or get your Lord to their throne/castle. Some maps only support certain objectives.
  • Max units: I would leave this at 8 for now. Otherwise, it limits how many units each player can have on their team.
  • Modifiers: Craaaaazy stuff. Throw common sense out the window and put in special conditions to fight under. Hover over the modifiers to find out what they do.
  • Pick Mode: Change between free-for-all unit selection and tactical drafting modes.

I also want to give a big thanks to everyone at SerenesForest, FEPlanet, and all the other Fire Emblem resource websites. Getting the sprites for the game was important, but it was also a lot of work. Thanks to the efforts of the many people collecting GBA sprites, we were able to spend more time coding rather than painstakingly extracting emulator images.

We hope you enjoy!

- Chu

- Jedyobidan

Screenshots:

battle_screenshot.png

unit_screenshot.png

map_screenshot.png

Edited by Chudooder

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Messed around with this a bit, and I must say, I am impressed.

Having said that, here's some things I noticed:

• The server is very bad at detecting if a client dropped out. (To the point where I suppose you haven't even implemented that yet, if so, disregard this.)
  • When I finish a game and go back to the lobby, both players are still readied up and unreadying one of them causes a new game to be started.

Other than that, I found navigating the menu a bit unintuitive. (But then that could also be because I keep trying to use a start and R button, silly me.)

Again, nice work so far, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Having said that, here's some things I noticed:

• The server is very bad at detecting if a client dropped out. (To the point where I suppose you haven't even implemented that yet, if so, disregard this.)
  • When I finish a game and go back to the lobby, both players are still readied up and unreadying one of them causes a new game to be started.

Other than that, I found navigating the menu a bit unintuitive. (But then that could also be because I keep trying to use a start and R button, silly me.)

You're right; once the game starts, the client doesn't actually check to see if the other client disconnected (the message is sent to the server though). I'll fix it asap

The readying up bug after restart is fixed for the next release.

Dude, this is totally badass! The UI could use a lot of polishing as it doesn't look very Fire Emblem-y, and having maps be centered would make this part look a lot better.

I think there's tons of promise here though and I hope you keep up with it!

That's an old screenshot; there's UI stuff (objective info) over on the right side now. We definitely can polish up the UI, though it's not super high priority.

A few spreadsheets on player stats would be very handy, though.

...or at least an R-button function.

R-button isn't too high priority I think, you can view all the stats when you hover over your unit. If we put it in, you would be able to see your entire team's stats and items at once thanks to the increased screen real estate. There's a table of all the stats for units and weapons in the .jar file but we can make that more accessible on the website.

We haven't touched falconknights yet besides putting the base class in the game. I think we forgot to allow them to fly over some terrain. I'll fix the terrain stuff for next release, but the sprites will probably have to come later

EDIT: just kidding, it doesn't work because I'm an idiot

String name = c.name;
if(c.equals("Falconknight")){
	if(this == WALL)
		return 127;
	return 1;
}

should have been

String name = c.name;
if(name.equals("Falconknight")){
	if(this == WALL)
		return 127;
	return 1;
}
Edited by Chudooder

And apparently, Falcoknights aren't weak to bows, and it loooooooks like they get terrain bonuses?

Also, it looks like weapon triangle doesn't even exist. Odd.

And thrones give some odd amount of HP and make you apparently unkillable.

Edited by Terrador

I'll look into the Falconknight situation now.

Weapon triangle exists and works, we haven't put in the little indicators yet though.

I was testing it, and... I saw no indication of it working. Unless it doesn't affect hitrates anymore?

Hi everyone, my name is Jedy and I'm working with Chu on this game. Thanks for all the great feedback!

With regard to Falconknights, at the moment they are still getting terrain bonuses, but that will be changed in a later update. They should be weak to bows though, but you won't see the flashing indicator yet. Same thing with armorslayers and horseslayers.

I accidentally gave Thrones 30 defense and 3 avoid instead of 3 defense and 30 avoid. Whooops

Best mistake.

I haven't downloaded the program yet so this might already exist, but I'd suggest including True Hit as an option. I can see the reasons for removing it in a PVP setting, but I feel like some people might still like it.

It's awesome!

I tried using it with my friend, and whenever he tried to join it would quit on him. It may be because we are at the same IP, but we cant figure it out.

Edited by VenosaurusRex

I haven't downloaded the program yet so this might already exist, but I'd suggest including True Hit as an option. I can see the reasons for removing it in a PVP setting, but I feel like some people might still like it.

Actually True Hit is in (my bad, my friend added it and I forgot to update the website)

I tried using it with my friend, and whenever he tried to join it would quit on him. It may be because we are at the same IP, but we cant figure it out.

If the client closes, then it's because it couldn't connect to the server at the IP you provided. Are you guys playing from the same house / same computer? If so, you can connect using the local ip (the one the server window shows)

Progress update: We fixed a bunch of the bugs you guys pointed out. Hopefully we can get a minor update out tonight with the new stuff.

This looks amazing! A few of my friends play Pokemon Showdown, but I'm not in to Pokemon.

Though I having a little trouble with it. In game, when I move Hector and make him wait, it crashes. :/

Anyways, hope it's project is successful! It would be great if this goes big.

Though I having a little trouble with it. In game, when I move Hector and make him wait, it crashes. :/

I'm sorry you're having this issue; would you mind describing it more in depth? Did you successfully connect to the server/ were you playing against someone else? Was it only Hector, or did the game crash after other units moved as well?

Edited by jedyobidan

I'm sorry you're having this issue; would you mind describing it more in depth? Did you successfully connect to the server/ were you playing against someone else? Was it only Hector, or did the game crash after other units moved as well?

I'll try to explain. I open the jar file called "Fire Emblem Multiplayer", it give my two unit which are Lute and Hector and Marth as an enemy. So I move Hector, make him wait, then the game crashes. Hope that helps.

I'll try to explain. I open the jar file called "Fire Emblem Multiplayer", it give my two unit which are Lute and Hector and Marth as an enemy. So I move Hector, make him wait, then the game crashes. Hope that helps.

I looked into it, and it looks like you managed to catch us on a bad release. We forgot to remove our test code (which makes the game crash at various points because it's only testing a specific part of the game) then accidentally released. We updated the release, so if you download again, the game will work normally. Sorry bout that.

I looked into it, and it looks like you managed to catch us on a bad release. We forgot to remove our test code (which makes the game crash at various points because it's only testing a specific part of the game) then accidentally released. We updated the release, so if you download again, the game will work normally. Sorry bout that.

This okay. Just downloaded the latest release and it now works! Just one more thing, how do I build a team? When click "go to team builder" the game exits out. Is team builder still in the works?