Pairing Priority: Olivia > Sumia

Sunwoo

My current Awakening file has a female MU, and I got curious about something: I know the site says that Sumia is top priority for Chrom in the case of equal supports, so I decided to test this. I grinded all of Chrom's possible wives so that they had enough support points to unlock a C support, but I didn't activate any of them. If support points do indeed cap at a certain point and don't increase if I don't activate a support, then everyone was at equal support levels. I then entered chapter 11, where I stuck Olivia with Chrom the entire chapter and had Chrom destroy everything. Once the chapter was done, I waited to see who Chrom would marry. Lo and behold, it's OLIVIA.

Does this mean that the priority on the "supports and marriage" page is wrong -- which has the priority as Sumia > Maribelle > Sully > Olivia > feMU? I didn't test it yet to see if Sumia is indeed higher than the other three, but if I'm understanding how the supports work and if I didn't screw up anything, then Sumia should have taken precedent over Olivia. And yet, Chrom married Olivia instead of Sumia despite the two theoretically having equal support points.

For ease of testing, I did grind Sumia, Sully, and feMU so that they had enough points to unlock an S support with another guy, but I didn't activate those supports. Chrom had no supports, but enough support points to unlock a C with his possible wives then proceeded to destroy half the chapter with Olivia. Sumia, Sully, and feMU had built up supports C-A with Gaius, Stahl, and Frederick with enough points for an S but none of them were married. In the end of the chapter, Chrom married Olivia and not Sumia. Is this old news or what?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... say, did you stopped grinding for support points as soon the C Support became available or did you grind some more after that?

I can't say I know of the Support Points gain system, but it may be possible you didn't hit the cap (if there is any) with the other girls, and let Olivia gain more than them?

Actually, just what is known of the Support Points system...? It may help somewhat or so.

It would make sense in one way, since Olivia is already the toughest to get Chrom married to despite the game obviously shipping Sumia the most. The only other thing I can think of is that the game does actually have some way of recording support points further than a "cap" to get to the next level before that level is activated, but that would seem...weird.

Maybe try grinding out Sully, Maribelle, and Avatar in Ch 11 with Chrom and see if any of them marry him over Sumia, too. And Sumia as well, I guess.

Hmm... say, did you stopped grinding for support points as soon the C Support became available or did you grind some more after that?

I can't say I know of the Support Points gain system, but it may be possible you didn't hit the cap (if there is any) with the other girls, and let Olivia gain more than them?

Actually, just what is known of the Support Points system...? It may help somewhat or so.

Let's see ... my intent for this playthrough was to marry Maribelle to Chrom after I finish testing (and therefore forgot to grind her supports with another guy, whoops), so I'm pretty sure Maribelle at the very least has been glued to Chrom since she showed up, well after she unlocked her C support with him. Sumia, Sully, and feMU didn't really interact with Chrom after I unlocked the C.

I don't know how the support points system works, honestly, but I'm assuming it works like it does in the other games. To take FE7 for example, I can put Lyn next to Rath for as long as I want, but if I don't activate their C support first then all those extra turns that could have gone towards a B had I activated the C first wouldn't count for anything at all. I'm assuming FE13 supports work the same way, although I cannot say for certain.

If I didn't screw up and if my assumptions about the support system are correct, then Olivia should have priority over Sumia in marriage. I know that Sumia has priority after Olivia if I had Chrom avoid Olivia. Much to my surprise, SULLY is after Sumia and not Maribelle. I married Sumia to Gaius so that Chrom wouldn't auto-marry her. Avoided Olivia again. Sully, feMU, and Maribelle all had equal supports with Chrom. Sully pops up at the end of the map.

Could is possibly be that Olivia is also the exception to the support rule? Seeing as how its impossible for her to obtain any rank of support with Chrom before he is married mayhaps it is intended for her to be allowed to gain support points past Cap during that chapter to make up for this? I must say it would be hilarious if Olivia had highest priority for Chrom, would certainly make one wonder why all the Sumia shipping and acknowledge that Olivia is the best waifu for Chrom other then FeMU

Considering the circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if it's to make pairing Chrom with Olivia easier.

Although, to be honest, the only way to be sure about this if this is done with all of them having the same support points. Probably better if it's before any of them have the C Support available, in order to have better results knowing they haven't reached a "cap". As in, collecting even just 1 point at least.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the support points work or anything like that, all I can say for sure is what happened as a result each time I played the game under specific conditions. So, to sum up everything I did:

1. I had Sumia, Sully, Maribelle, and female Avatar gain enough support points to unlock a C support with Chrom, but did not activate any of them.

2. Chrom had no supports activated. Not even with guys.

3. Sumia, Sully, and female Avatar had activated supports C-A with other guys for ease of testing. They had S supports unlocked but not activated. Maribelle only had a C support with Chrom unlocked because I forgot about her.

4. I paired Olivia with Chrom in chapter 11 and had Chrom clear approximately half the map to ensure he and Olivia gained enough support points.

5. I am playing on normal casual mode.

6. After each girl married Chrom at the end of chapter 11, I restarted the chapter. I then activated her S support with one of the other guys (or in the case of Olivia just had her avoid Chrom) before starting so that I could determine which girl took priority afterwards.

According to my methodology, the priority is Olivia > Sumia > Sully > Maribelle > female Avatar.

I suppose it would be a little tedious and time-consuming, even if it would be the best way to figure things out. After all, if all have 0 points, then Villager Girl has the highest priority, as soon as they all tie with at least 1, she no longer has any chances. It's possible there are other triggers like that, but we'd have to deal with exact values to find out.

Since for example, you may unlock a support after a chapter/skirmish, but surely you gathered more than 1 point in there, therefore you can't tell when exactly it unlocked, right? So long it's like that we're dealing with only approximates and we're not sure if they really have the same amount of points, and that's even still not considering if all need the same amount of points to unlock the support so even if you stop after they unlock...

So yeah... perhaps it may just complicate things...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to figure all that out at this very moment. And you're right that we don't know how the support points work and whatnot. Maybe when I have more time to test stuff in Awakening I'll count the number of battles it takes each pair to activate supports to see if they are the same.

EDIT: Although it still doesn't explain how Maribelle, who spent the longest time glued to Chrom, was the second lowest for him in priority in my file.

Edited by Sangyul

Whelp, I'm gonna go buy a bunch of bond seeds from Streetpass and actually have a visual indication (i.e. The bond seeds are greyed out) to see when support points have capped, and points are kept track of.

As in I'm gonna go Normal Casual and get to Chapter 11 without any support points (i.e. Village Girl marriage if I don't stick Chrom to anyone) and then only use one bond seed without Chrom getting attacked or attacking in order to get a fixed amount of points.

It might be that Chrom's "before C support" with Olivia may be hard coded to have a point higher than everyone else's "before C Support" or whatever.

I'm gonna do this for both versions of the game, just because I'm gonna be thorough like that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Okay i hope this can help:

What i done regarding the Pairs

Maribelle - Killed in Chapter 5, never deployed again until chapter 11

Sumia - Killed in Chapter 3, never deployed again until chapter 11

Olivia - Deployed in chapter 11(her joining chap)

FeMU - Never used beyond chapter 1, 2, and 11

Okay i forgot Sully

I soloed all the chapter with Chrom with no pair up

For:

Maribelle - Rescued Chrom. Thats it

Olivia - Danced Chrom once

Sumia - Paired with FeMU to stand adjacent to Chrom before Chrom killed the last Mage opponent in the map, assuming both get Support points this way

FeMU - read Sumia

Result - Sumia

So, yeah

Edited by JSND

Uhh... well, getting the units killed in Casual or Classic does not affect anything regarding Chrom's pairings at the end of Chapter 11.

I had Sumia get killed in Classic, but Chrom still married her instead of Olivia.

@JSND

This could mean either they get different support points depending on the pairing (that Sumia gets more support points than the rest), or battling would give more support points than utilities (dancing, healing...). This could also mean the game is screwing with us and Sumia still has the highest priority, parhaps making exception for Olivia on the "cap" thing.

Also, according to your description, your MU did not gain any support points with Chrom. Only Sumia did.

One way to better test this is with the seeds. For all possible pairs, use one seed and participate in no battles or healing, to eliminate possible per-unit differences (though I don't think they exist in this game). I think one seed is enough to get a pair to C, so if Olivia really doesn't have a cap, then my method is still flawed.

"If support points do indeed cap at a certain point and don't increase if I don't activate a support, then everyone was at equal support levels"

I apologize if this feels like a nitpicking or something

With the same data, i tried to do this:

Sully - Paired with Chrom

Fight one Skirmish - C Unlocked

Fight one more Skirmish

Fight Leonardo Spotpass Twice

Sumia - Paired with Chrom at chapter 11

Solo all but 3 enemies, with only one wave of reinforcement

Result is still Sumia.

So, theres technically a cap with the support

Well, so the cap thing is made clear. Variable cap comes to mind, though I don't think that's the case.

I tried to look into other sites to see if they have anything better to say on the matter. 2ch wiki doesn't seem to even list any ordering, and ge-ota heya has wrong information.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Well, also remember that due to the events in Chapter 3, Sumia already starts out with a few support points with Chrom, so at the beginning (unless he already has a C support with Sully and/or Fem!Avatar) Sumia gets priority.

I think that's the reason Sumia's stated to have the highest priority and also the reason why most people recommend marrying Sumia off - to either Gaius, Frederick or Male!Avatar, with Frederick being your best choice as without support grinding you can usually get them married by Chapter 8 - or killing her. Leaving her single - or alive - is risky if you want Olivia.

EDIT: The Fire Emblem wikia has a list, but it goes like this: Sumia > Maribelle > Sully > Olivia > Fem!Avatar.

Edited by Vashiane

"Well, so the cap thing is made clear. Variable cap comes to mind, though I don't think that's the case."

I actually think its a variable cap

Heres with same data as above

Originally, the purpose of this testing was to test if the ammount of enemies in Chapter 11 is just that huge

Sumia - 2 Leonardo, 1 Brom, 1 Skirmish, 1 Nephenee

Olivia - Solo chapter 11

Olivia

Interesting. This might mean my biggest complaint about marrying Chrom to Olivia might have been overblown...

Well, also remember that due to the events in Chapter 3, Sumia already starts out with a few support points with Chrom, so at the beginning (unless he already has a C support with Sully and/or Fem!Avatar) Sumia gets priority.

I think that's the reason Sumia's stated to have the highest priority and also the reason why most people recommend marrying Sumia off - to either Gaius, Frederick or Male!Avatar, with Frederick being your best choice as without support grinding you can usually get them married by Chapter 8 - or killing her. Leaving her single - or alive - is risky if you want Olivia.

EDIT: The Fire Emblem wikia has a list, but it goes like this: Sumia > Maribelle > Sully > Olivia > Fem!Avatar.

Bold: That won't work...

Edited by Levant Fortner

Well, also remember that due to the events in Chapter 3, Sumia already starts out with a few support points with Chrom

Honestly, until we can view the memory locations in the 3DS, we really don't know. The fact that he can marry the village girl kills that assumption when he has zero support points with all the girls.

Despite that you can assume that simply because of the CG movie "Lovebirds" in Chapter 3 and how it would make sense... and supports have been with variable starting points since FE6.... Because of the existence of the Generic Village girl, we cannot assume that Sumia gets starting support points with Chrom.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Honestly, until we can view the memory locations in the 3DS, we really don't know. The fact that he can marry the village girl kills that assumption when he has zero support points with all the girls.

Despite that you can assume that simply because of the CG movie "Lovebirds" in Chapter 3 and how it would make sense... and supports have been with variable starting points since FE6.... Because of the existence of the Generic Village girl, we cannot assume that Sumia gets starting support points with Chrom.

Oh yeah. Forgot all about her, to be honest.

But I've read several guides stating that for the best chance to marry Olivia you HAD to marry off or kill Sumia because she could somehow override the support points you get with Olivia.

Technically thats already proven wrong now.....

Science: One

Several Guides: Zero

[/shrugs] I probably should have tested it myself before I started posting random information, I guess...