Hard mode: you give me tips, and I...

Starting Hard mode tomorrow, I already know the changes and stuff but nonetheless I have some things to ask.

First of all, everyone says to just train Nolan and Jill and maybe ZiharkI... But what about Edward? Yeah he starts weak but the mid-late game potential is amazing. Also I don't think I'll be able to do maps like 3-6 with only two unit, just because everyone would jump at Micaiah's throat. He can use resolve so he gets crazy avoid, you have to give him kills anyway in chapters like the one where you recruit Jill, Zihark and Tauroneo, and Nolan would just get measly experience very soon when overleveled. Plus I just saw a complete hard playthrough and the dude trained both Ed and Nolan just fine.

With the title I mean that I'll probably ask a lot of questions throughout the game, so this is probably gonna be a long thread: what if I make it a sort of playlog/let's play whatever? The schedule would be I ask some tips for a specific chapter (only in special cases of course), I play it, I write a quick rundown here (no screenshots since I'm one of the three people that play this on an actual Wii), rinse and repeat. Nothing long, but it can be fun since this is my first hard mode experience in any FE and I'll keep this thread open anyway, and someone may find funny the game driving a Hard mode noob insane.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early Part 1 requires caution since Edward is like 2HKO'd by enemies and Micaiah will barely be able to take a hit. Calculate movement range and such to avoid dumb mistakes we make occassionally: thickets cost 2 Move to foot units, 3 to mounted and armored, and none to Rogues and transformed Beasts. Ledges cost 3 tiles to foot units, 2 to rogues, untransformed laguz beasts and 4 to generals.

The irony is that Edward was my best unit in part 1 in my two latest HM runs. He had surprisingly a very high defense (13 at level 20). Thanks to the support with Leonardo he had a defense of 16 and could survive two soldiers and even archers without problems.

To my mind I wouldn't drop Edward, because he's one of very few units, who can double some enemies besides the prepromoted units. The brave sword will help him a lot. Wrath can screw yourself. If you worried about it, put it off or attack more with the wind edge.

The best units are probably Jill, Zihark and Volug. A-support between Zihark and Volug and Jill with beastfoe make part 3 much easier.

On HM I use everyone of Micaiah's party except for Aran, Meg and Fiona and it always worked well.

The irony is that Edward was my best unit in part 1 in my two latest HM runs. He had surprisingly a very high defense (13 at level 20). Thanks to the support with Leonardo he had a defense of 16 and could survive two soldiers and even archers without problems.

To my mind I wouldn't drop Edward, because he's one of very few units, who can double some enemies besides the prepromoted units. The brave sword will help him a lot. Wrath can screw yourself. If you worried about it, put it off or attack more with the wind edge.

The best units are probably Jill, Zihark and Volug. A-support between Zihark and Volug and Jill with beastfoe make part 3 much easier.

On HM I use everyone of Micaiah's party except for Aran, Meg and Fiona and it always worked well.

Uh, yeah, as to that. Edward's gonna need some speed level ups early on, else he won't be doubling for long (he can have issues doubling as early as 1-2!).

Well, I guess I can start by now and even see how Edward turns out.

Prologue

Show battle animation? Hell no, I've had enough for one playthrough. Hope who came up with the idea of locking that feature for the first run got fired.

Pretty easy map, kinda hard to fuck up even in Hard. Just bait and give finishing shots with Micaiah. Leonardo chips, I hope he gets some good level ups otherwise he won't endHUAHAHA no, not even in easy mode. I despise you. Nice Cancel scroll though.

Micaiah gets an excellent HP STR MAG LCK DEF RES level up, and when I bait the boss out Edward tanks it and gets... HP SKL SPD. Meh, at least it's speed, but you'd better pick up some strength soon. Also with a +1 on strength I would have been able to finish the boss in Player Phase after Leonardo and Micaiah chipped, but he didn't, I could've risked the splendid Micaiah level up relying on a Wrath-Crit, but I preferred using a vulnerary up. Hey, she got Defense.

Chapter 1

Well.. Enemies sure hit hard here. Goddamn.

After the first three resets (would have been 2 if Ed didn't miss a 77% displayed hit) I quickly understood that I couldn't hold the farthest choke point because it requires two units, and Edward can't take a hit from both the bandit and the javelin soldier guarding the house without dying. Even when the latter missed, I didn't have enough men to take the second bandit coming from the right.

So I went back a little and put Nolan at the end of the short alley, he tanked like a man and put a lot of enemies in critical state. Micaiah and Edward got some kills, and they got... MAG SKL SPD LCK RES, and HP SKL LCK respectively. Micaiah is getting pretty blessed, but I don't think Edward will last very long in the team with levels like that, even with the boss' Steel Sword.

I got the Hand Axe (there aren't other treasures in the chapter right? I should check) and escaped with Micaiah on turn 6 or 7, I wasted two Herbs because I didn't want to risk the mid-boss's HA, even with very low hit rates like those. Also I needed Leo to take a hit that required full health to survive, so one of them only healed two HP. I escaped with Micaiah because I heard you don't get additional BEXP letting the others escape first, and didn't want to risk it all with the reinforcements.

Now, since Ed still got speed from his level ups, I'll give him a last chance next chapter, where I really want him to get strength and defense, otherwise he's bench sauce. Any particular tips?

In 1-1 there's also a vulnerary in the house on the bottom left side, which you can reach in turn 1.

In the very first chapters on HM you need EVERYONE, because the enemies have high HP, speed and a decent defense.

So dropping Edward early would be a bad idea. You should wait till 1-6, because it's the final chapter in part 1 you can bring all the units to the map.

In 1-2 Edward has no more disadvantages against lances. I think he could even survive two attacks of the soldiers with the bronze lance. He should be able to double them with his iron sword.

The fighters should be Nolan's job. Be careful! Nolan has speed penalty with his steel axe. Some enemies can double him, if he didn't grow in strength and/or speed.

Sothe joins in this chapter. He's excellent to weak the enemies with his bronze dagger so other units can finish them off. I think on HM Sothe wouldn't kill most of the enemies, if he's not in support range with Micaiah. And try to steal as much as possible with him, because it always gives you 10 exp. you can make the stolen stuff into money later on.

The boss should be instant kill with Thani, if Micaiah has enough magic and the support with Sothe.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

okay so it seems like talesofhysteria and i have conflicting advice

and my advice is probably better

none of the earlygame maps require using all units. sothe can do most of the work starting from when he first appears in 1-2 and volug can help pick up the slack in 1-5.

Goddammit, is that Vulnerary a dealbreaker or can I go forward just fine?

I've always heard most players solo everything possible with Nolan until they get Jill, so I don't think you need EVERYONE after maybe 1-2, even in the latter the enemy layout makes it easy to bait and switch with just one character and a healer. The thing is, I'm not sure I'll be able to do it: 1-3 was freaking bothersome even in Normal mode, I can't imagine soloing it on Hard with just Nolan. I guess I'll use Edward at least until the end of 1-3, maybe more if he picks up the slack, but more as a meatshield than else. I absolutely need to get Nolan to the top, because this is way harder than I thought, and being weighted down bu his weapon doesn't help.

And yeah I don't like the idea of soloing everything with crutch characters, probably it's an efficiency/LTC thing but I'm not really interested, I'll just use them when needed.

So, is that vulnerary very precious for these first maps? Should I throw that excellent Micaiah level for that (and maybe a more decent Edward)?

Goddammit, is that Vulnerary a dealbreaker or can I go forward just fine?

I've always heard most players solo everything possible with Nolan until they get Jill, so I don't think you need EVERYONE after maybe 1-2, even in the latter the enemy layout makes it easy to bait and switch with just one character and a healer. The thing is, I'm not sure I'll be able to do it: 1-3 was freaking bothersome even in Normal mode, I can't imagine soloing it on Hard with just Nolan. I guess I'll use Edward at least until the end of 1-3, maybe more if he picks up the slack, but more as a meatshield than else. I absolutely need to get Nolan to the top, because this is way harder than I thought, and being weighted down bu his weapon doesn't help.

And yeah I don't like the idea of soloing everything with crutch characters, probably it's an efficiency/LTC thing but I'm not really interested, I'll just use them when needed.

So, is that vulnerary very precious for these first maps? Should I throw that excellent Micaiah level for that (and maybe a more decent Edward)?

Absolutely not, the vulnerary isn't worth throwing away Micaiah's level up. You have Sacrifice for healing and Laura, and there are plenty of vulns later on. I second the idea of dropping Edward by 1-4 specially with his crappy level ups.

edit: You have Leonardo, Ilyana, Nolan to gang up on enemies if you don't want to solo chapters. Edward is a growth unit and is not advisable to continue with him in his situation.

Edited by Quintessence

Starting Hard mode tomorrow, I already know the changes and stuff but nonetheless I have some things to ask.

First of all, everyone says to just train Nolan and Jill and maybe ZiharkI... But what about Edward? Yeah he starts weak but the mid-late game potential is amazing. Also I don't think I'll be able to do maps like 3-6 with only two unit, just because everyone would jump at Micaiah's throat. He can use resolve so he gets crazy avoid, you have to give him kills anyway in chapters like the one where you recruit Jill, Zihark and Tauroneo, and Nolan would just get measly experience very soon when overleveled. Plus I just saw a complete hard playthrough and the dude trained both Ed and Nolan just fine.

With the title I mean that I'll probably ask a lot of questions throughout the game, so this is probably gonna be a long thread: what if I make it a sort of playlog/let's play whatever? The schedule would be I ask some tips for a specific chapter (only in special cases of course), I play it, I write a quick rundown here (no screenshots since I'm one of the three people that play this on an actual Wii), rinse and repeat. Nothing long, but it can be fun since this is my first hard mode experience in any FE and I'll keep this thread open anyway, and someone may find funny the game driving a Hard mode noob insane.

But you can screenshot from the Wii provided you have a capture card and virtualdub on your computer. Takes a bit of tinkering to get it working but it is possible.

Felt obligated to point this out.

But you can screenshot from the Wii provided you have a capture card and virtualdub on your computer. Takes a bit of tinkering to get it working but it is possible.

Felt obligated to point this out.

Of course I could, but I don't own one.

Also since I'm on a sRPGs galore, is Sengoku Rance good? I've always heard good things from 4chan, but they could be overrating it because of SR... themes, and the fact.. that it's 4chan.

Anway I'll continue tomorrow, I'm thinking about the next maps and I think for how much Edward was my MVP last PT, he's not gonna make it this time.

Of course Sothe can solo the very first maps, but I absloute don't see a point for a HM newcomer to do it.

1st units need the kill experience.

when someone asks for advice, we have two options:

1. inundate the player with trivial suggestions and details

2. provide concise advice for the easiest way to beat the game

obviously there's the caveat that the player can do whatever he wants and still beat the game without much problem. but if someone asks for tips, it's a breach of trust to give bad tips.

Edited by dondon151

Also since I'm on a sRPGs galore, is Sengoku Rance good? I've always heard good things from 4chan, but they could be overrating it because of SR... themes, and the fact.. that it's 4chan.

if it helps then gameplay-wise its better than fire embalm, which is a bad game. as long as you go to church afterwards you should be OK

when someone asks for advice, we have two options:

1. inundate the player with trivial suggestions and details

2. provide concise advice for the easiest way to beat the game

obviously there's the caveat that the player can do whatever he wants and still beat the game without much problem. but if someone asks for tips, it's a breach of trust to give bad tips.

The fact is, "just use the crutch characters" is not the best tip. It shouldn't even be mentioned, I wouldn't even do threads like these if I wanted to just roflstomp everything with Sothe, Haar and the Royals, it still wouldn't be easy but it's just the most obvious choice. This is still gonna be a regular FE run because it's not Lunatic H7 ++ Remix or similar, so recruit everyone, get all the items vulneraries don't count, soft-reset if someone dies, don't overuse the crutch characters.

Anyway,

Chapter 1-2

Let's start saying I had to reset a run where Micaiah got a MAG SKL SPD LCK RES level up. Goddammit, I placed Laura in a very dumb position.

Anyway, Micaiah chips the front soldier and gets SKL LCK DEF RES. Quite the Defense blessing Miccy! Nolan finishes it up and chokes the point in a way that would make Doga proud. Eddie and Donatello cover the ledge, Laura goofs around. Enemy phase, OH GOD THEY CAN DOUBLE, they really couldn't have given Nolan an Iron Axe haven't they? Still, Nolan levels up with a mediocre SKL LCK DEF. At least we get even more tankier. Edward goes up the ledge to face the fighter, and brings him close to death thanks to a great 32% displayed hit from the best archer since Gordin from below the ledge. He's brought to critical HP too, of course, and Edward has the courtesy of proccing Wrath thrice without ever critting. STR SPD LCK, he's on his averages in everything but -1 defense, which means 1-4 will probably be your swan song since neither you nor Nolan leveled up decently. Chapter goes on, Nolan clears the east part with Micaiah and Hand Axes the soldier guarding the two chests to death, Edward finishes the fighter off, reinforcements get taken care of by Micaiah, Nolan and archer from the ledges, and by Nolan and Edward from the east. Sometimes here, Nolan gets a better HP MAG SKL SPD RES and Laura a wasted HP MAG SKL LCK RES (is it really wasted when she has very good growths?). Sothe steals the vulnerary and we tackle the boss room. Nolan kills everything helped by Sothe and comes close to levelling up, so I keep him hot for next chapter, I heal him with Sacrifice and heal the healer with Heal so both healers get exp by healing. Micaiah drops the Thani Bomb and gets MAG SKL LCK RES. I like this Micaiah. We get all the treasures and move on to 1-4 that makes me cry just looking at the map and remembering my Normal mode experience.

Number of resets: 3 this chapter, total... Let's say 8.

Turn count: 22, total who the fuck knows I'm a turtle and can't play Thracia without savescumming every once in a while, I aim to stay below 1000 by the end of the game. Is there a way to see the total before the end of the game?

Also my Steel Axe is half done, what do?

The fact is, "just use the crutch characters" is not the best tip. It shouldn't even be mentioned, I wouldn't even do threads like these if I wanted to just roflstomp everything with Sothe, Haar and the Royals, it still wouldn't be easy but it's just the most obvious choice.

of course it's going to be easy. LTC players have discovered these strategies precisely because they make the game easy. if you don't care about turns, that's even better, because OP characters that trivialize the game in an LTC setting do it even better when consideration for turncounts is thrown out the window.

Holy shit

Chapter 1-3

I had to restart quite a few times because I wanted Nolan to tackle the enemies to the west alone, but I didn't have enough spaces to make every unit safe because of the bandit to the east: the latter kept one shotting either archer or Micaiah. Then I noticed the diagonal chokepoint to the left, so I hid everyone there behind Nolan and Sothe and only sent Edward to the east. Still, it wasn't a optimal position because I sent Micaiah too much near the entrance so she couldn't Thani the general, and Nolan barely survived against the fighter and myrmidon thanks to a lucky miss. I killed the former with Nolan and the latter with archer, and that's where it happened.

Leonardo leveled up gaining HP STR SKL SPD LCK RES. I realized that was gonna be the right time: a run where Leonardo got the best level up since the beginning of the game, such a blatant showoff of the RNG to openly despise me, couldn't fail. I was probably going to gain 2 stat-ups level with Nolan and Micaiah but goddamn I was going to win.

The general missed again luckily and got Thani'd, Aran's squad didn't pose much of a threat even if I had to wait another turn to recruit him, turn Aran spent wasting a javelin use on Sothe. We pushed forward and I even aggroed the boss by mistake: I could clearly remember the units behind the two Knights moving, but not the Knights themselves, so just in case I set Aran and Sothe here while the others dealt with the reinforcements. However, that was an extremely lucky EP that saw no one taking damage thanks to Aran dodging three shots including the boss, who got first removed of his possession of a Discipline scroll, and then utterly nuked by Micaiah who got HP MAG SKL LCK RES.

Nolan's turn of level ups came too and I was already starting to inhale for a powerful sigh. He got HP SKL SPD, so I just used up half my reserves of air. He handles most of the reinforcements alone and gets a second level: HP STR MAG SKL SPD. By this point the urge of just soloing the map with Sothe just to save and be guaranteed a Nolan who can almost hold his weapon properly (appropriate since he got a Weap Rank too) was strong, but the rest seemed pretty easy: bait and switch baby, so I proudly moved forward.

Sothe yoinks another Steel Axe, Laura gets MAG SPD LCK, we aggro a myrmidon too who almost gives Edward the last level up of his career and we're ready to escape. Micaiah gets HP MAG LCK RES Thaning the Knight guarding the archer (the longbow archer, Leonardo didn't suddenly switch side. I think he deserves to be called by name right now), Sothe kills the latter shielding from the remaining three units at the same time. Last turn, he steals the Vulnerary (he stole the first Knight's one too), Nolan gets another kill, Edward and Alan GTFO and finally Micaiah ends the chapter because goddamn I really wanted to save and this ain't Thracia.

I didn't get the ancient coin, which brings this chapter rating to HAHAHAHAHA I FUCKING DONE IT, MASTER TACTICIAN RIGHT HERE BABY, EVEN SMOOTHER THAN NORMAL MODE, WHO'S DA MAN, GAME IS BASICALLY ALREADY DONE BRB STARTING A H5 SD PT.

Resets: 4 this map, total 12

Turn count: 16 or 17.

Now, what should I buy for the next chapter? A Hand Axe is absolutely needed, the Laguzslayer knife probably too, Ellight is too expensive and Micaiah is a great mage just with Thani (and honestly, with a second Thani I might not need another tome for the remainder of Act 1). Laura has 20 Heal uses left but I will definitely buy one.

Forging. I have a total of 48 uses of Steel Axes, which are still to heavy for Nolan's 13 STR. I can forge an Iron Axe he receives no penalty from and with 2 more MT than a SA, since next chapter is about Laguz I normally wouldn't wait further, but won't the fact I don't have an Ancient Coin penalize me? It might even add another 2 MT to the weapon, should I just wait and stick with Steel Axes and wait forging until Jill comes (spending less) and I have some ACs, or am I better off forging now?

Edited by cloudropis

In the base before 1-4 you can definitve buy a beastkiller. I don't know, if there's a hand axe in the shop already. Definitve in the next base. Buying an iron axe for Nolan wouldn't be a bad idea to avoid speed penalty with the steel axe (if he still has).

1-4 is the second hardest chapter in part 1 for me.

The tigers have an attack of 24-26 and the cats an AS of 14. Even Nolan can't maybe take two hits of the tigers. So be prepared for that!

The beastkiller is an instant kill for the Laguz. However you should only use it, if you have no other choice. Try to kill them with all the other units. Sothe is very good in this chapter to weak all the Laguz.

If Ilyana has 14 speed, she can double some of the tigers and can weak them massively.

Use the turtle-tactic for this chapter.

Block with Sothe, Nolan and maybe Edward. Aran is risky, because he could be critted and doubled by the cats, if he has still 10 AS.

If you're worried about Edward's wrath and unintended critical hits, just unequip him or put wrath of him off. However I think he cannot kill the Laguz with two critical hits by an iron sword.

Get all the chest and hidden stuff in this chapter! Angelic robe, masterseal and beastfoe are a must have! Pure water, 3000 gold and the coin would be also nice.

In base before 1-5 you could forge (with the coin of 1-4) an iron axe for Nolan, which you can give later to Jill.

K

Here we go again

Chapter 1-4

Decided to not forge anything yet, instead I bought an Iron Axe, a Beastkiller, a Heal stave and a Hand Axe. Nolan supports Laura NTRing poor Aran, Edward cements his friendship with the best part of Leonardo - the blue circle icon next to Affinity.

Following everyone's suggestion of bringing just the units I need to level up I initially thought of just bringing Micaiah, Sothe, Noland and Laura. Then I thought "Sothe would get fuck all experience anyway, and I'm not using Edward, I may as well finish using up that Iron and Steel Sword", so I bring him too. Then I noticed Leo might do some nice chipping with the Steel Bow, plus he helps Edward with support, he comes too. Oh hey, Ilyana's bases are nice for chipping too. Would you look at that, enemy's AS is very low, only the bosses can double Aran!

So yeah, everyone is deployed but Meg.

Nolan keeps the middle hole filled, and I'm not talking about Laura. Edward and his bro cover the right. Only one hit brings him to Wrath threshold, plus he can't double, so Wrath is actually pretty useful here. The first turns go smoothly, Micaiah and Leo chip, Noland and Ed kill. Edward gets HP STR LCK DEF. I need Leonardo to finish a tiger so that Edward could use a vulnerary, levels up and... Sigh. HP STR MAG SKL SPD DEF RES. I wish I were kidding, since Marksman are absolutely nuts in this game I'd really want to see how he would end up becoming if trained (I'll try that in my next PT - Easy Mode, no battle saves). For now, I take it as the usual "You're winning this but don't you fucking dare complaining if you get LCK + RES for everyone every level up" message by Anna, like last chapter.

Oh what the hell, there are breakable walls north! Sothe, Aran, do your stuff. Nolan gets STR MAG SKL LCK RES, Micaiah stops being crazy and gets a plain MAG LCK RES, Edward levels up again for HP DEF. This is not a hard chapter by any mean, the enemies' stats other than plain atk are pretty low and the chokepoints are in our favor. Except the left boss moves and almost kills the entire run by bringing Nolan to 2 HP and avoiding his counter. But hey, bringing everyone is worth it after all! Thank God for that, because he decided to move just after the reinforcements ended and Sothe went south to grab the Master Crown. Aran javelins around and gets STR SKL DEF, Laura heals and gets HP SPD LCK, Nolan disappoints and gets DEF, Leo sucks and blows.

Finally I move counterclock-wise to clear the last laguz and get the treasures, Nolan gets SKL SPD DEF RES. I like how he refuses to get Strength, Speed and another useful stat in the same level up. I get all the treasures but the Seraph Robe, so I aggro the laguz near the right boss to comfortably take it with Sothe the same turn I kill the boss. When I kill it with Nolan he procs Cancel for the first time the whole chapter he might have really needed it. Unfortunately the boss moves too, but ends up right in the middle of the columns to the right, so I can safely de-equip Sothe and let him tank his hits until I go around with Edward and the Chest Key. Finally I get the Robe, demorph the boss with Leo and Aran just for spite, and clear the chapter with Nolan to get HP SKL LCK (see?).

Reset: 1 this map, total 13.

Turns count: 26. I play really safe because whenever I'm about to end the chapter I think "oh my God next turn's reinforcements are gonna be flying tigers with 15 movement and 1-2 rng and 40 atk and they'll hit me from behind the wall and they'll act the same turn they appear please let it end". Plus I wasted 5 turns for Ed to get the last chest.

I'm going to ask things for the next chapter, but I'll Edit that in later.