The dragon(cat)'s shiny pixels: 4/2/2015 Extreme Makeover: OC edition

Dragoncat

[spoiler=Battle Sprites]

Awakening Generation 1 and Khans. Working on generation 2 and villains, MOST of them. I don't think I'll be adding Grima. Because he's huge and all...

fe_awakening_gba_sprites__gen_1_by_rubyd

If you recognize these characters, you've won a million internets...These were for contests on Deviant Art, where you had to sprite your favorite gaming villain, and your favorite non FE character, both in FE style. Spyro was my childhood, so here he is in all his glory, along with the evil Sorceress.

fe_sc9__the_sorceress_by_rubydragoncat-dfe_sc1__spyro_by_rubydragoncat-d4ojkht.p

Promoting laguz idea originally came from Ana. Shifted bird base: vulture and tempest from Pocket Kingdom.

beast_laguz_class_tree_by_rubydragoncat-

dog_laguz_class_tree_by_rubydragoncat-d8

dragon_laguz_class_tree_by_rubydragoncatbird_laguz_class_tree_by_rubydragoncat-d

[spoiler=Map Sprites]

beast_laguz_overworld_sprites_by_rubydraOverworld_Sprites__Birds_by_RubyDragonCa

[spoiler=Stat Sheets]

samba_stat_sheet_by_rubydragoncat-d7z0ki

[spoiler=Mugs]

emmeras_mug_by_rubydragoncat-d7zru2f.png

[spoiler=Icons]fe_type_icons_by_rubydragoncat-d83gseq.p

[spoiler=Mug and battle sprite combos]

cerai__flame_streak_by_rubydragoncat-d82samba__striped_claw_by_rubydragoncat-d82leo__white_storm_by_rubydragoncat-d82hdf

Edited by Dragoncat

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should've warned you, RDC...

SF is way different from DA in terms of how they comment on artwork (any artwork). They have a tendency to be blunt, harsh and tear your stuff apart, sometimes without even telling you what you're doing right. >_>

They're typically not trying to hurt you though. Although, I still have trouble telling whether someone is trying to hurt me or not on occasion. But still, a lot of peeps here are pretty helpful and I can say that I wouldn't have gotten as far as I am with my own work if it wasn't for this place.

Yeah. A lot of forums are like that, actually. One of them I was on a long time ago, somebody told me to "stop spriting laguz, they're a deathwish".

Funny how they do that even though the rules of the spriting forum say not to.

i'll preface this by saying i appreciate the effort in your attempt to remake fea characters

okay, your shading technically is there, but your color choices are so bright and each color in a palette is so close to each other, (rene for example) that they look like just one color (wyvern). given that fe sprites are so small and the fact that i need to slide into my computer to see the details, you should consider why vanilla fe chose the colors of their battle sprites. Your colors are quite garish and are a bit of a pain to look at.

Edited by Y.O.L.O Dewey

Okay...that's a fair constructive criticism. I shall use official palettes. With battle sprites though, sometimes the colors I want aren't there. So would taking colors from mugs work?

Edited by Dragoncat

you need to be careful with mug colors being used. Most cases mug colors don't translate as good as you'd think because they tend to be more washed out and darker. Battle sprite colors have more contrasting shades and colors because it helps the player see the fine details in a gba screen.

in regards to finding colors you like, i do this trick where i just go on spriters resource or database and search for like "red palette" or "red _____" and usally i just rip the palette from there. You can of course make your own colors but that requires some experience in what values the colors should be to make a good palette.

Yeah. A lot of forums are like that, actually. One of them I was on a long time ago, somebody told me to "stop spriting laguz, they're a deathwish".

Funny how they do that even though the rules of the spriting forum say not to.

...Seriously? Just ignore people like that then, they aren't worth it.

YOLODewey is the kind of critiquer worth listening to. Isn't being too harsh, is pointing out something you're doing right, and is pointing out issues without being hurtful or rude.

Thing is, when I try to explain this to some people, they like to take it as "you just want praise and sugar-coating!" which is NOT true. xP Pointing out the things I'm doing right IS a form of praise, but it's still helpful because as it says, it lets me know what I'm doing right so I don't go trying to fix something that isn't broken. But maybe in the past I just had trouble explaining this properly... But I'd be careful when mentioning any of this regardless, just to be safe.

Edited by Anacybele

I am dead serious. People on that forum bowed down to the "famous" more well known expert spriters like Blind Archer. If you didn't have that much of a reputation/you were new/etc, they treated you like you were posting colored over jpegs. Never mind the fact that if a sprite of mine was put next to one of Blind Archer's and shown to someone who doesn't know much about spriting, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Palettes are more complicated than I originally thought, looks like...anyone know where I can find a good one to use? Google was no help.

Ohhai! Welcome to the forum, RDC; glad to see your battlesprites here~ ^^

Everyone likes to give their 2¢ and not necessarily million-dollar advice, just take people's investments if they're useful to you, or you enjoy their style of work.

I think what people are aiming at is that some of your color choices don't have enough contrast in them (a good share of them are OK). What I typically do during a color replace is make a set of ramps like below, and make sure that the new color matches at the same 'height'/value as the one it's replacing (so it should look like part of the same 'step' of the previous ramp, and the top-down staircase looks like a complete staircase). Maribelle's horse's grey was on the light side, so I modified that color set to match the blue gradation Priscilla's palette had. (Looking again my mod still seems a little light, but there's a lot of play you can do.)

You can kind of do the same study for saturation, but I didn't mess with that here (so notice that the dress on Maribelle looks a lot more vibrant than her horse and pops out or dips in, while Priscilla's is more muted and she seems more a part of her horse.)

befCd.png

I am dead serious. People on that forum bowed down to the "famous" more well known expert spriters like Blind Archer. If you didn't have that much of a reputation/you were new/etc, they treated you like you were posting colored over jpegs. Never mind the fact that if a sprite of mine was put next to one of Blind Archer's and shown to someone who doesn't know much about spriting, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Geez. Yeah, that is no way to treat people who are new to spriting and whatnot. I mean, even the experts had to start somewhere. So these new people are just starting out too.

But yeah, palettes work differently between mugs and sprites. The battle sprites have more contrast between shades because they're a lot smaller and less detailed.

Sorry I'm not too good at explaining it

http://finalbossblues.com/using-and-choosing-colors/ It's good up until the part where it tells you 'not to do this'. Fire Emblem (and Pokemon) styles tend towards 'straight ramps' the majority of the time.

This is also useful too in general palette-making

http://betterin2d.com/2014/08/02/pixel-art-tutorial-creating-a-colour-palette/

that's part of a larger pixel-art tutorial

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

If it still doesn't make sense, don't worry about it and just keep on pixeling. Color ramps are just a tool in the end. ^^

Edited by Lenh

I guess I should've warned you, RDC...

SF is way different from DA in terms of how they comment on artwork (any artwork). They have a tendency to be blunt, harsh and tear your stuff apart, sometimes without even telling you what you're doing right. >_>

They're typically not trying to hurt you though. Although, I still have trouble telling whether someone is trying to hurt me or not on occasion. But still, a lot of peeps here are pretty helpful and I can say that I wouldn't have gotten as far as I am with my own work if it wasn't for this place.

At one point, I spent a lot of time trying to help people improve, but most of them ended up disappearing and never posting again. There wasn't a point for me to keep trying to be polite and type out ton of criticism, and now it's just a habit to be blunt and move on.

I also spend a lot of time with people who can take "where's the shading" and know what I mean and fix it. Beginners have a bit more trouble, and I didn't really think about that.

I'll be more specific. Take Spyro. His wings look like splotches of paint. The issue is that there's no shading on the wing-bones, which makes the wings look totally two dimensional. The other wyverns have wingbone shading, but the wingskin color is so similar to the wingbone color that it makes the wings look two dimensional even with proper shading. It's another color contrast issue, which has been covered by people here already.

I dont really feel like looking too deeply at the rest of them right now

At one point, I spent a lot of time trying to help people improve, but most of them ended up disappearing and never posting again. There wasn't a point for me to keep trying to be polite and type out ton of criticism, and now it's just a habit to be blunt and move on.

I also spend a lot of time with people who can take "where's the shading" and know what I mean and fix it. Beginners have a bit more trouble, and I didn't really think about that.

I...wasn't really talking about you specifically, just SF in general.

Great improvement on the palettes; they're looking more cohesive. (And lol Libra, didn't notice him wielding dat axe. ^__^ )

Can't say much about the map sprites since they're in a different style than the typical map sprites. The way you've done the different heads to distinguish between 'em turned out pretty nicely, though~

Yeah, I think you're best with overworld map sprites, RDC. :)

You do actually have beast ones as well, btw, because I remember borrowing one from you. :P

I know. I'll have to dig deeper in my DA gallery. Apparently I didn't put them in the FE folder or something.

Aside from the fact that over the years, Dei has turned out to not exactly be the one of the better spriters amongst the community, I'm pretty sure someone who had no experience with art would confuse masterpieces by Davinci and Pollock with the lonely guy down the road who paints in his spare time, that isn't exactly a fair defence that you're taking, because you're actively stating that your work is on par with TBA, which it isn't, but also saying that anyone who doesn't sprite would not tell the difference which isn't your audience.

Aside from the fact that over the years, Dei has turned out to not exactly be the one of the better spriters amongst the community, I'm pretty sure someone who had no experience with art would confuse masterpieces by Davinci and Pollock with the lonely guy down the road who paints in his spare time, that isn't exactly a fair defence that you're taking, because you're actively stating that your work is on par with TBA, which it isn't, but also saying that anyone who doesn't sprite would not tell the difference which isn't your audience.

Yeah I meant like...someone who doesn't sprite. But you have a point. Spriters ARE my audience...my bad.

I found the beast maps. They WERE in my FE folder. Dunno why I didn't see them the first time...

Edited by Dragoncat