Remaking the Thracia Translation Patch

General Banzai

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, some of the FE4 patch translations are just awful, like the aforementioned Manfloy instead of Manfroy. (Does the FE4 patch use Yurius or Julius?)

And that's not even getting into place names yet.

Julius...

But I also think Barhara sounds better than Valhalla. It has a nice ring to it. Also, I'm all for Loptous, as long as it's not Loputousu I'm fine :)

Nit-picking slightly, but Barhara is more of a modified version of Valhalla rather than a crude romanisation. The romaji is Baahara, which means it can only be Varhalla at best.

FE4 also does this with the Balmunk vs Balmung and Jugdral vs Yggdrasil (just missing a "si") and FE2 did it with Rainarok vs Ragnarok.

Actually, I believe バルムンク can be validly read as Balmung, just like ジークフリート is Siegfried.

Delmud is probably supposed to be Diarmuid but that's not what the kana for his name says, so keeping it Delmud is probably fine even if it's kind of stupid.

And then there's Carrion, whose name is both extremely unfortunate and technically accurate.

Of course, some of the FE4 patch translations are just awful, like the aforementioned Manfloy instead of Manfroy. (Does the FE4 patch use Yurius or Julius?)

And that's not even getting into place names yet.

oh i know, berdo in fe5? horrid

how about let's not touch the translation

As always dondon your lack of will to type more than 10 words on a subject is always filled with sage wisdom. Why should we bother correcting a stiff,broken translation that I know for a fact has turned people off the game and is literally buggy as all get out, when we can not?

What turns people off isn't the translation, it's the presentation. Especially the broken menus.

If there are issues with the translation, it's silly jokes added by hackers (like the aforementioned IN AMERICA... if only it were IN FREEGE or something, it could have had some saving grace), careless mistakes (Queen Ishtar, if it stayed like that) or lack of proofreading. Anyone in this board who thinks they're a more qualified translator than FireLizard is very likely completely delusional.

Also

>"Improving" a patch by changing names

Edited by TheEnd

When did I mention improving names? 2 pages back I said I didn't really care about translating names except to prevent another 'Yurius' I would leave most of them the same actually.

But dondon comes out and says "Hey lets not touch the translation" which encompasses the whole translation, and that ticks me off a little. And for your information, there is more wrong with the translation than silly jokes. And I don't think I'm a more qualified translator, I think I'm a qualified editor. I should since I've been doing the whole professional writing thing for 3 years now and 99% of that was learning to edit. It is stiff, when the characters talk they do not sound like characters they sound like paper cut outs who have words coming out, they do not sound like they are having an actual conversation. So yes, it does need to be edited thank you very much.

Edited by Onmi

Anyone in this board who thinks they're a more qualified translator than FireLizard is very likely completely delusional.

Again, I do NOT want to do a new translation from scratch. I merely want to proofread the first one to eliminate the numerous, numerous grammatical/spelling errors, inconsistent names, and other gaffes.

I'll do the editing. It'll take a very small amount of time, at least compared to creating a new translation from scratch.

I'd like to be as uncontroversial with the names as possible (I'd even keep poorly translated names like Delmud just for the sake of keeping people happy), but as we all know that's not going to happen.

When did I mention improving names? 2 pages back I said I didn't really care about translating names except to prevent another 'Yurius' I would leave most of them the same actually.

But dondon comes out and says "Hey lets not touch the translation" which encompasses the whole translation, and that ticks me off a little. And for your information, there is more wrong with the translation than silly jokes. And I don't think I'm a more qualified translator, I think I'm a qualified editor. I should since I've been doing the whole professional writing thing for 3 years now and 99% of that was learning to edit. It is stiff, when the characters talk they do not sound like characters they sound like paper cut outs who have words coming out, they do not sound like they are having an actual conversation. So yes, it does need to be edited thank you very much.

>lack of proofreading

Also, look at the previous page and tell me it isn't all "names!"

I have a question about the very first lines in the script.

"After escaping with his life from the collapsing Lenster Castle, Leaf, together with his loyal knight Finn and his daughter Nanna, proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces and take control of Northern Thracia."

Mostly I'm wondering about the "proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces and take control of Northern Thracia." The sentence shifts from Leaf "escaping with his life" to suddenly defeating Thracian forces. Not to mention the next sentence talks about Leaf "fleeing" from the Empire. In that context the "proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces" line doesn't make any sense. My guess is that it's meant to place the game into a historical context, as if it were saying "Here is the start of Leaf's journey to defeat the Thracian forces." Because it is neither accurate nor makes sense in context.

I'd like someone to take a look at the original Japanese and tell me if there's anything there that may shed light on what is trying to be conveyed here.

EDIT: Another problem, from the second sentence:

"Shaking off pursuits from the eastern Granbell Empire..."

Grandbell is to the WEST of Thracia, not the east. Unless the game means "The Eastern Region of the Grandbell Empire", implying that "Eastern Grandbell Empire" is a territorial name for the conquered Northern Thracia. Can anyone help me out as to whether this was just a mistake (and it should read western Grandbell Empire), or else my other theory is right (and it should read Eastern Grandbell Empire)?

Oh yeah, and anyone trying to defend this translation is wrong

Edited by General Banzai

焼け落ちるレンスター城から脱出し

からくも生き残った王子リーフは▼↓

彼を守る騎士フィンや

その娘、ナンナとともに▼↓

トラキアや、そのトラキアをやぶり

北トラキアの支配権を手に入れた▼↓

西方の大国グランベル帝国などの

追手をかわしながら▼↓

Leaf and co escaped with their lives, avoiding the pursuers from Thracia and Grandbell (Grandbell had invaded Thracia and taken control of Northen Thracia).

In other words, そのトラキアをやぶり北トラキアの支配権を手に入れた qualifies 西方の大国グランベル帝国, not Leaf and his friends.

焼け落ちるレンスター城から脱出し

からくも生き残った王子リーフは▼↓

彼を守る騎士フィンや

その娘、ナンナとともに▼↓

トラキアや、そのトラキアをやぶり

北トラキアの支配権を手に入れた▼↓

西方の大国グランベル帝国などの

追手をかわしながら▼↓

Leaf and co escaped with their lives, avoiding the pursuers from Thracia and Grandbell (Grandbell had invaded Thracia and taken control of Northen Thracia).

In other words, そのトラキアをやぶり北トラキアの支配権を手に入れた qualifies 西方の大国グランベル帝国, not Leaf and his friends.

Okay, so "proceeded to defeat the Thracian forces and take control of Northern Thracia" is what the Grandbell Empire did, NOT Leaf? That makes much more sense, thanks.

As always dondon your lack of will to type more than 10 words on a subject is always filled with sage wisdom. Why should we bother correcting a stiff,broken translation that I know for a fact has turned people off the game and is literally buggy as all get out, when we can not?

i don't think you understood

TheEnd is right; presentation and quality of translation should be reworked. but why change things (i.e., names) that are already in common use?

also brevity is the soul of wit etc.

Edited by dondon151

TheEnd is right; presentation and quality of translation should be reworked. but why change things (i.e., names) that are already in common use?

To be redundant.

A translation that is useful focuses on removing the language barrier, that is, making it possible for people to PLAY the bloody game without having to memorize what menus and commands do what by translating them. In the case of story, you just need to translate it so people can understand the plot, whatever the hell the bloody names are is irrelevant so long as x character is referenced with a consistent name.

Changing characters' names from what the players are already used to is pointless, specially if the translation is by fans.

You'll be happy to know that other than changes like Felgus to Fergus and Yurius to Julius, I'm not touching most of the names from common fan translation.

dude we are not trying to write the next classic novel, we are trying to make a game playable for people who don't understand japanese

someone has their priorities wrong

I'm doing nothing more than cleaning up the already existing translation.

dude we are not trying to write the next classic novel, we are trying to make a game playable for people who don't understand japanese

someone has their priorities wrong

There is no reason not to go above and beyond that, so that people will be able to get the full experience as if it had been released in English instead of simply getting an ugly patchwork substitute.

There is no reason not to go above and beyond that, so that people will be able to get the full experience as if it had been released in English instead of simply getting an ugly patchwork substitute.

who are you to say what exactly is the "full experience" in english

the experience with the "better" names will be exactly the same as the experience with the "worse" names because they're names.

Edited by dondon151