The Lunatic Club

Shinori

I've been using my Lunatic file to practice L+ maneuvers, mostly ones listed in Interceptor's guide, like the turtling and such. I know a lot of them can be overkill for vanilla Lunatic, but they still get the job done.

In any case, one thing that came to my attention was Ch. 5. While turtling in the corner, many of the fighters have gamble, and Frederick, with his abyssmal luck, is vulnerable to crits. Is there any way to help deal with that, short of mashing the reset button? I tried pairing Lissa with him, but it only dropped him from 8% listed to 6%.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, friends!

I have recently begun my arduous treck through Ylisse, but on Lunatic, and I'm hoping I could find some guidance and such.

I made it to Chapter 1 but I had some bad levels and I restarted.

I have a Male Avatar, and when I restart, I was thinking I was gonna do +Magic, -Luck, but if you guys have any suggestions for something better, I'd be willing to listen.

Thanks in advance!

+Spd and Def are typically the optimal assets, with +Def being a lot safer in general but +Spd letting you pull more shenanigans if you're good and/or lucky. -Skl is usually the best flaw, as -Lck hurts both your offenses and increases enemy crit rates, which you will learn to loathe in due time as pretty much every Barb has Gamble.

Doesn't -skill slightly offset your def growth though?

I suppose on paper the main reason you pick the def asset is to have higher base def so that you reach tanky critical mass faster/more reliably, but since Luna+ exists isn't +speed -luck slightly more favorable overall for an overleveled Robin? I don't really read the Luna+ threads (since I want to try to just clear it myself without such explictly detailed help) but iirc the most reliable C2 clear relies on +speed doesn't it?

Currently I made it to C2 of L+ without much of a fuss myself but am going back to try to reoptimise EXP a bit since I'm not happy with how much EXP Fred took on the first wave of Prologue, which has knockon effects into C1. (Also relying on at least one Chrom DS on Turn 1 might not be terribly hard to reset for but I'm positive there's a better way and I'll find it)

Edited by Irysa

Personally, I like +Speed, -Skill, because luck is important for strategies which work with Armsthrift. +Speed gives luck a 5% increased growth, and -Skill doesn't affect luck growth. Generally, an overleveled Avatar doesn't have many problems hitting a target, so the skill flaw doesn't hurt as much after a few chapters in earlygame.

Edited by Knusperkeks

@KTT

I was well aware of your guide probably being a good resource but I wanted to figure stuff out myself, that's all. The first thing I was doing was my first Lunatic strat where I had Fred chip the top Barb with Robin in the back unequipped, then Chrom transferring Robin out, killing the Barb over Fred's head and Lissa doing w/e or pairing into Fred. This lets Fred chip a Barb on EP and Robin chip the Myrm on EP, then Robin once again shoots over the Myrm's head to get the second Barb and Fred walls off below Robin to protect her from the second Myrm with a Bronze Sword. Unfortunately, obviously this doesn't work out if Luna+ or Pass are in play, so dumping Fred+Chrom in the middle and relying on at least one DS from Chrom vs Barbs, killing both Myrms then giving the Mage and one of the remainng Barbs to Robin was the next thing I did. That isn't really exp efficient though so we get to the next somewhat obvious conclusion - using the water somewhere to help out with the enemy spread. Up is a no go so you have to go right, and I developed off that.

I did briefly check your strategy for the first few turns once I'd gotten one of my own that resulted in the same kill spread. What I ended up doing was similar, but slightly different since I let Robin fight the Myrm twice, chugging a a vulnerary whilst on the water if neccessary instead of putting Chrom out front and then trying to finish off the Myrm with Thunder on the other side of the gap. Fred EP hit the second Barb and retreated, then Robin kills that Barb next turn (doesn't matter if the Myrm is dead), getting a Heal from Lissa and then finally killing the Myrm if he didn't die as he comes back around the gap. I guess if the Mage has V+/L+ or other things Fred might also need to chug a Vulnerary with this which I suppose is a waste for the rest of the Water trick when killing the Mage. Shrug.

Edited by Irysa

^It's possible for them to get less out of it, by not having Lissa paired to Fred. Since the game rounds half of 3 to 2, this conditionally makes Magic +2 the superior skill, which is even funnier.

I wrote base fred. Base fred doesn't have Lissa stuck on him.

Irysa: Fair enough. Just thought I'd point it out since you mentioned you were having issues.

It's quite alright. Your guide made me consider some things I hadn't thought of anyway when I briefly skimmed afterwards, such as the prospect of attempting to reach C Tomes in Prologue for +1 mt in Chapter 1 (actually a really big deal).

Edited by Irysa

I wrote base fred. Base fred doesn't have Lissa stuck on him.

Okay. Wasn't entirely sure or not if you were counting a Lissa pair, since you equated Luna+ and Magic +2. In any case: level 1 Mage skill situationally overpowering a Lunatic+ skill.

It's quite alright. Your guide made me consider some things I hadn't thought of anyway when I briefly skimmed afterwards, such as the prospect of attempting to reach C Tomes in Prologue for +1 mt in Chapter 1 (actually a really big deal).

Yeah, the extra non-growth-dependant damage is a real boon when Robin is short on... well, basically everything. The Vulneraries being carried into C1 and C2 can also make a big difference by saving Elixir uses. Even carrying just one Elixir use into C3, C5 or C6 can make the situation a whole lot safer.

I had read over and over about Lunatic runs and how good the Avatar was, but I didn't actually believe it until I played Lunatic myself. Female Avatar x Chrom just steamrolls everything, and Lucina x male Morgan is pretty amazing too, but everyone else just falls by the wayside to The Family of Doom. Tharja x Lon'Qu has turned out all right, but it was really iffy for a while if Tharja missed a Nos hit or didn't drain back much health, she was done for.

I'm on Chapter 16 now, and The Avatar Train keeps on rolling. She's a Sorcerer with Galeforce and Armsthrift and has 50 LCK with a Chrom pairup for 100% AT. She's pretty much invincible now, with forged Nos, Ruin, Waste and Mire because they will never lose durability. I think I am going to keep reclassing her as a Sorc at this point. Lucina/Morgan and Tharja/Lon'Qu just make the chapters go faster because they can spread out and kill more enemies, but pale in comparison to the Avatar. Though I guess in time, Lucina and Morgan will end up better than the Avatar, but I'm just dashing towards the finish line now.

PS - I did +SPD -SKL, and the only time the Avatar had any difficulty with Hit was very early on when using a Thunder tome.

Edited by Eselred

You might want to consider Dark Knight as an option. Eventually you'll get far enough ahead of the curve that Nos won't even be that important in keeping you alive (especially if you got Sol/once you get Lifetaker), and its extra Mov is useful for clearing the multitude of upcoming Kill Boss chapters.

You might want to consider Dark Knight as an option. Eventually you'll get far enough ahead of the curve that Nos won't even be that important in keeping you alive (especially if you got Sol/once you get Lifetaker), and its extra Mov is useful for clearing the multitude of upcoming Kill Boss chapters.

Maybe...I'm on Chapter 20 now and she's only a level 12 Sorc. EXP has slowed WAY down now because of the level 50 internal cap. She only gains like 12 EXP per kill with Veteran equipped, which I'm thinking of removing but don't really have anything else better to use right now. Basically, the game has become Family of Doom smash with staff users to Rescue spam and Anna/Gaius to open chests. Tharja/Lon'Qu are still doing all right (however LQ barely does any damage now), but the rest of the units are nearly worthless.

I think -Skill is better than -Luck personally.

Water trick works and is pretty easy. KTT's Lunatic+ thread showcases a good way to allow Lissa to cycle healing on Avatar safely whilst fighting the Mage, which allows you to save Vulneraries for the harder maps afterwards.