Spriter's Resource

Maklo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there, sir Prime! I got into mapmaking about 2 days ago and all I can say is that I'm always keeping the things you wrote in mind while working. Thank you very much!

Also, I've stumbled upon a post made originally by Astelaine here: http://serenesforest...dpost&p=1495221

A very interesting read if I may say so. It summarizes the more advanced but less technical aspects of a map which I realize are just as important. Maybe it can help other people too.

Take care!

• 2 months later...

Most commonly given advice/critique given to new spriters:

When starting out, use only colors from FE8 or FE6/7.

To display your images like everyone else does, upload it to an image host (i.e. imgur (personal recommendation), imageshack, photobucket) and post the forum code they give you.

Reference existing mugs/whatever to learn proper shading.

Edited by deranger

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Uhhh, for hackboxes.

This is how you format the mug properly for blinking and talking frames, and then there's a bit at the end about actual insertion if you need it. If you're making your own frames this'll still work, you just won't need to C/P from the original.

For frames:

and I was using this mug:

http://i1238.photobu...rules/chris.png

which uses frames from Kent.

Okay, awesome XD So, we rip Kent's FEditor thing.

Kent.png

Kayyy, cool. Now, open up YOUR portrait in Usenti. Since it's already in a hackbox, event better. Go to view, put Tile grid on. Should get something like this...?

Chrisgridlines.png

Those gridlines are super important for your blinking and talking frames. The GBA stores graphics in 8x8 tiles like that, so that's how your portrait gets stored. Thuuuuus, your frames need to match up with those gridlines. So to get blinking frames:

Eyezoomthing.png

Select a 2 tile high, 4 tile wide box that has the eyes in it. Then C/P it to where the blinking frames go.

properblinkers.png

Then, we just need Kent's eyes, so open that in Paint or Usenti or whatever :P Just copy paste his eyes onto yours, and line up the eyebrows.

kentsbuthair.png

Looks good but he needs that bit of Kent's hair to gtfo, so just fix little stuff like that...

looksgoodso.png

Looks good, so I'll copy paste that over... Again, using gridlines :P

Rinse and repeat...

bothframes.png

Forgot to mention, you can also just copy paste over the frames you moved over to the side, as long as you took them using gridlines. And that's it xD Same for talking frames :P

And then if you use it in a hack, you open it with FEditor and drag and drop the frames on the bottom mug///

XD

I will probably C/P this to a topic at some point :3

and apologies for huge images :(

• 1 month later...

It'd be pretty useful to just have a template for the sprite-insertable boundries, and the FEditor insertable mug positions.

This is the hackbox for mugs, if you want it:

Hackbox.png

Believe I got it from Blazer's ultimate tutorial, though I can't quite recall~

Edited by eCut

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a tutorial I just made that should be helpful for peeps that make comics with battle scenes. :) It's for making those stretched numbers you see when a character is hit for some damage. I discovered a very easy way to do them without having to spend hours looking for the right numbers and making characters get attacked just so you can rip them. And all you need is Paint and a sheet with the numbers on it.

fe_spriting_tutorial__stretched_gba_hp_numbers_by_great_aether-d5ehlg5.png

Here's a tutorial I just made that should be helpful for peeps that make comics with battle scenes. :) It's for making those stretched numbers you see when a character is hit for some damage. I discovered a very easy way to do them without having to spend hours looking for the right numbers and making characters get attacked just so you can rip them. And all you need is Paint and a sheet with the numbers on it.

fe_spriting_tutorial__stretched_gba_hp_numbers_by_great_aether-d5ehlg5.png

There's a significantly simpler method of doing this. You grab the relevant numbers off of either the FE8 sheet or the FE6/7 sheet (from here), paste them into Paint and position the HP digits such that the space in-between them matches what it should in the correct game (which can be determined from images in that prior link, assuming that the number is above 9 HP). Then, simply use the Resize function, set the Vertical value to 200, hit OK, and then C/P the newly-stretched image back to your battle scene. No manual measurement required.

Edited by Lord Glenn

There's a significantly simpler method of doing this. You grab the relevant numbers off of either the FE8 sheet or the FE6/7 sheet (from here), paste them into Paint and position the HP digits such that the space in-between them matches what it should in the correct game (which can be determined from images in that prior link, assuming that the number is above 9 HP). Then, simply use the Resize function, set the Vertical value to 200, hit OK, and then C/P the newly-stretched image back to your battle scene. No manual measurement required.

...I have absolutely no clue what you just said in most of this post. o_O Some people might not know what "vertical value" and all that stuff is, like me. My tutorial shows you how to do it if you don't have this kind of knowledge. xP

• 4 months later...

^ some of his FE10 armour line look like bwd's work.

Though they were quite fun to look at!

Edited by eCut

• 2 weeks later...

^ some of his FE10 armour line look like bwd's work.

Though they were quite fun to look at!

Cam just notified Yeti.

Also, they're in jpgs... so I doubt they're that experienced then. Though I don't know if DA autoconverts to jpg if it's bmp.

And that Olivia Battle Sprite insults me.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• 1 month later...

There are a bunch of different programs that you can use (anything with a pencil brush 1px in size) but MS Paint is probably the best for it.

• 2 months later...