MarkyJoe1990's Fire Emblem Hack Reviews (Video Series)

MarkyJoe1990

Hiya everyone! MarkyJoe1990 here!

A long time ago, before I started the Ragefest contest, I had a different series where I would playthrough people's Fire Emblem ROM Hacks, with commentary. In these videos, I would act goofy and state my opinions of the hacks. This was started back when Fire Emblem Universe/Shrine of Seals Forums still existed.

I never brought the series over to Serenes Forest before, probably because I was extremely loyal to FEU/SOS, and wanted to help keep it alive as much as I could, but seeing how the forums no longer exist in a way that is accessible, and since I've become a little more active on Serenes, I should bring it here.

The earlier videos in the series are more review-focused than the later ones, which are more about me acting silly and putting on a show. A lot of these reviews still aren't complete, but regardless, a lot of people seemed to like them (They have pretty high view counts compared to most of my other stuff). It was this series that convinced me that my commentary style is more suited to Fire Emblem games, and as a result, I started a playthrough of Fire Emblem 5: Thracia 776, and started Ragefest, so it's like a prelude. Kinda... I dunno, I'm tired of writing.

FAQ:

Q: Can I send you a hack to review?

A: Yes, under a few conditions.

- It must be yours. I refuse to play through something if the author doesn't give me permission to. That just seems disrespectful, y'know?

- It must have custom maps and events. If you know me, I despite reskins. Occasionally I'll make an exception however.

Q: Why's your voice so low quality in the earlier videos?

A: I had a mediocre microphone at the time. Personally, I think it's adequate.

Q: These don't really seem like reviews...

A: Yeah. I guess they're more like commentary playthroughs where I occasionally speak my opinion, but I do like to believe I provide some useful insight here and there. Also, that wasn't a question. NEXT.

Q: Will you continue GhebSaga and GhebFE?

A: I really despise the Gheb series, mainly because they're designed so sloppily and, unless I'm mistaken, the creator hasn't done much to improve them. Unless they get cleaned up a bit, reviewing them some more seems redundant.

Q: What about the other series?

A: If I get in the mood, I'll continue them. I don't like leaving playthroughs finished...

Q: God, your voice. So horrid.

A: Send hate mail here: markyjoe1990@gmail.com

Anyways, here are the playlists.

- By Blazer

(OUTDATED) - Archibald

- Blazer

- BwdYeti

- MarkyJoe1990

- AitosSaibankan

- Nintenlord Saga

(OUTDATED) - AstraLunaSol

- MarkyJoe1990

- TheDeathSpectrum

(Revisited) - AstraLunaSol

ProjectZ - The Emblem Brigade (Compilation)

Bonus Playlists:

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way to disqualify FE8troll =(

That's just a crappy reskin hack that changes some classes to stupid stuff, like making Lute a supply depot. Not worth showcasing.

If you wanna send me a troll hack, make one with custom events and maps.

That's a challenge.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Hacks are not necessarily worse because they are reskins. Though it is probably easier to make a better hack with custom events and maps. I've never played FE8troll, but I hear it is good and fun. IDK, I guess this is more about your interests, since you're the one LPing the hack/game. I just don't think that FE hacks are bad just because they are reskins.

I think he has the same opinion on reskins as myself, and that it's kind of boring to be playing the same FE game again just change the text a bit and put in new mugs, especially after playing hacks that are full chocolate.

That's just a crappy reskin hack that changes some classes to stupid stuff, like making Lute a supply depot. Not worth showcasing.

If you wanna send me a troll hack, make one with custom events and maps.

That's a challenge.

I know, it's fine.

Hacks are not necessarily worse because they are reskins. Though it is probably easier to make a better hack with custom events and maps. I've never played FE8troll, but I hear it is good and fun. IDK, I guess this is more about your interests, since you're the one LPing the hack/game. I just don't think that FE hacks are bad just because they are reskins.

The problem with reskins isn't necessarily that they are bad. It's that they don't deviate enough from the source material to make them worth playing.

The problem with reskins isn't necessarily that they are bad. It's that they don't deviate enough from the source material to make them worth playing.

I guess I understand your perspective. New content is always nice. But I guess things are what they are, and it takes a great deal to truly measure that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Markyjoe1990 here.

After watching

, it's occured to me that I haven't gone out of my way enough to ask for feedback, criticism, and advice. I don't know if this is really the place to ask for some, but anywhere is a good start, no?

Anyways, if you're interested, please watch

so that you can get an idea of how my commentary goes. Please give me an idea of what I do well and what I should drop as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• 2 weeks later...

Welp. I decided to

. Even when playing without the restrictions bestowed in the playthrough, I don't enjoy the game.

In it's place, I'm going to be doing the Z Project hack by The Emblem Brigade community. I don't have high hopes for it's level design, but if it at least nets some laughs, it'll make for an amusing playthrough.

I might also ask Dondon151 for permission to record his hack as well since I feel it's a good demonstration of how I feel level design should be done. Well... minus the lack of intuitiveness, the memorization, and some really terrible design decisions... On second thought, maybe I should just record it to show that it at least has level design with identity and purpose, and a clear thought process behind it, and simply discourage the bad stuff like a certain element in the second level. Though, it's been a while since I last played it so maybe my complaints have been fixed. Dondon took my critiques pretty gracefully.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I can see why you aren't a fan of DoF. Level design is a huge part of enjoying FE for you, so I can see why the many slow paced and rather repetitive maps became boring. Many linear maps are a shame, as some of the nonlinear ones later on made me truly think about level design. Many chapters are forgettable, and difficulty largely stemmed from just throwing a lot of powerful enemies at you. During battles, I never felt like there were many options on how to approach chapters, and whenever I found another way around, I almost felt like I was "breaking the chapter". Character and plot-wise, I liked the game but I can see how the lack of supports make many characters just seem bland. I'm no expert in writing so I was fine with it. Hope you like the next hack, I found it rather good.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chapters 6, 7, and 7x of ProjectZ have been recorded. Woo.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzjk0KGRtf1Pe_9Gf6opfDruUBRr6jEB3

Also, since the creators of the hack are making improvements and whatnot, they've asked me not to play further until more updates come. In the mean time...

We got Decay of the Fangs!

I was kind of sure you would bash it what with its incompleteness, relatively unpolished graphics, and mediocre gameplay, so to see you actually praise it a little was surprising. Of course, Decay of the Fangs is one of my all-time favorite hacks and embodies what I'd like to see more of in hacks because I actually wanted to continue to play because it just kept me interested and new graphics and bland sword-wielding main characters just don't do that as much says the guy who made Kelik lol iHypocrite

I was kind of sure you would bash it what with its incompleteness, relatively unpolished graphics, and mediocre gameplay, so to see you actually praise it a little was surprising. Of course, Decay of the Fangs is one of my all-time favorite hacks and embodies what I'd like to see more of in hacks because I actually wanted to continue to play because it just kept me interested and new graphics and bland sword-wielding main characters just don't do that as much says the guy who made Kelik lol iHypocrite

Well... to be honest. I had a bit of an agenda when going into this hack. Y'see, I remember the old thread on FE Universe and MarioBro saying he'd stop making the hack because people just kept complaining about the portraits. It made me a bit sad cause quite a few people said the hack was genuinely enjoyable. I was hoping that maybe if I LP'd it and found it really WAS good, I could try to encourage the creator to get back into the project. Or something like that.

... I ain't mean all the time, y'know. x.x