Hacking PoR Help

Hirotune

Nah, Alondite is the right weapon.

The Black Knight's sword is Ettard in the Japanese version, but Alondite in the game code. NOA probably changed its name to Alondite because of that.

Okay, you've found the text (what I refer to as "labels"). That's a good start.

But you don't want to change IID_ALONDITE (this is what the label should be) or MH_I_ALONDITE. What you want to do is look for the block of data that corresponds to Alondite. Like the block I showed for Florete in FE10.

For example, go backwards and search for a pointer to that text (I show you how in the FE10 hacking notes). Or search for the Alondite's stats using the in-game order (just remember it has the same stats as the Ragnell).

Then look for a pointer to something like "eqB" and zero out the pointer (change it to 00 00 00 00; warning: it may break the game) or make it point to somewhere redundant.

If you get stuck, upload FE8Data.bin or (decompressed) System.cmp and I'll double check for you.

Edited by VincentASM

I dont know if i can upload a media fire download, so if im cleared to do so, then i'll give you the link

Edited by Golden Inori

Hera ya go:

Go to A534 (IID_ALONDITE)
Change 00 01 A5 DE (N) to [insert weapon rank list]
Change 00 01 BF 17 (blackonly) to [insert attribute list]

Go to A5F4 (IID_GURGURANT)
Change 00 01 C0 7B (finalonly) to [insert attribute list]

Go to B794 (IID_CRIMEASWORD)
Change 00 01 C0 63 (eqB) to [insert attribute list]

Weapon rank list
00 01 4A 52 (A)
00 01 56 40 (B)
00 01 56 C2 (C)
00 01 57 B0 (D)
00 01 57 DA (E)
00 01 B9 E0 (S)

Attribute list

00 01 C7 66 (valuable=can't sell)
00 01 C7 60 (twice=brave weapon)
00 01 C9 6E (resire=heal with damage?)
00 01 C0 D9 (infinity=can't break)
00 01 BE BF (absolutehit=can't miss)
(That's not all)
You did good getting this far, but I think it's more fun if you try digging through the data yourself a little bit more : P Edited by VincentASM

OK, this is confusing, what am i supposed to do? Also, i think you forgot ragnell... could you take a picture of what im supposed to edit?

Edited by Golden Inori

I didn't see Ragnell; I do now : P

Do you have a hex editor handy? Just "Go To" those addresses I listed.

For each address, it will land you at a string of bytes that look like 00 01 A5 DE, which is a pointer to the weapon rank "N". If you look a little forward, you will see the second pointer that I listed. Just overwrite those pointers with my recommended suggestions.

So if you want Ragnell to be an E rank sword, change 00 01 A5 DE to 00 01 57 DA. (Although, actually you probably don't need to change the weapon rank, since I forgot N means no rank, so can be used at any time... I think?)

Illustration

On the left panel is the address.

The first blue box is Alondite, then Ragnell and Gurgurant. Amiti is much further down, so isn't shown.

First red box is the weapon rank, while the second one is the weapon lock.

I would suggest replacing the weapon lock pointer with the "valuable" pointer (cannot sell), but it's your call. You can try to replace them with 00 00 00 00 too, but be careful it doesn't break anything.

Do show us pics/videos if it works : )

TBH, I spend more time datamininmg than actually editing anything. However it's very nice when you've got something to show, like the time I hacked the half-finished Lightning Sword back in.

What did you use to extract the FE9 ISO? If you used GCRebuilder, there should be an option to rebuild the ISO.

If it was GCTool, use the Import file feature.

(I don't have either with me or an ISO, so can't give specific instructions.)

"It" as in GCRebuilder? That's strange that you can extract the ISO, but not rebuild it... I don't think I've had this error either (and I can't find any similar cases online).

Only thing I can suggest right now is grab GCTool and try that instead. Do watch out that GCTool isn't very reliable for importing bigger files.

If the compressed file is bigger than the original (this is quite common), you may have to zero out the weapon lock pointers or delete a bunch of useless text labels (ones that aren't used in the game). If it comes to that, I'll try and remember which ones aren't used...

Also, are you running Windows or a different OS? Maybe your OS doesn't like the && symbols in the directory name?

Edited by VincentASM

i do, and it still doesn't work, and gctool look too complicated for me, if you need me too, i could email you the iso to see if you can help figure it out

Edited by Golden Inori

Bump

UPDATE!!!!!

I've done it everybody, VincentASM, i thank you for your help! here are pictures to prove I've done it!

post-11972-0-85967300-1413425002_thumb.png

post-11972-0-78239500-1413425022_thumb.png

post-11972-0-99281700-1413425070_thumb.png

post-11972-0-54397800-1413425128_thumb.png

sadly, GCrebuilder was being stubborn, but, thanks to GCtool, i got it working just fine!

Edited by Golden Inori