Rate the Unit, Day 14: Darros

Peppy

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 2 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Each ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. 13th May start the topic again but i am not sure. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Gordin: 3.11

Bord: 4.37

Cord: 4.87

Castor: 5.54

Wrys: 5.92

Marth: 6.33

Jagen: 6.98

Draug: 7.12

Ogma: 7.56

Abel: 8.76

Cain: 8.90

Barst: 9.40

Sheeda: 9.89

You know, allow me to use a recycled term that was used by one of my favorite posters that I miss dearly:

"Everyone sucks, but not as much as Darros".

You look at Darros, and you realize "what a piece of shit I've been handed". His Spd growth is total ass (10% as a Pirate, 25% is the highest as a Hunter) and his Str growth is "okay". To make matters worse, his Spd base is 1 and he just seems all around mediocre... until you see his Def growth...

See, the funny thing is he has the highest Def growth of all the non-Sedgar / Wolf units, but let's face it: Armor Knights suck. E Lances suck, 5 Mov sucks, no real base stats sucks, being doubled sucks... pretty much the only way he redeems himself is through growths and a terrible class. 70% HP | 60% Def growth sounds cool, but let's be real to ourselves and remember that having 3 HP | 1 Def base isn't that cool. At least he has a little "utility" earlygame... but it isn't much.

tl;dr: Armor Knights suck, but not as much as Darros. He can't really function anywhere but this class, and they aren't even close to "good".

1.5/10

Obviously SF's best member.

10/10

Ok fine, Darros is... kind of really bad. Unless you move slow enough to let him grow as as armour, he's eternally screwed over. But he makes a passable general/berserker/hero if you get him there.

3/10 + 1 bias

4/10

At least he learned from his mistakes in FE12. This is FE11 though. But let's face it. Speed rules FE, and he doesn't get it.

Inferior to Folcore Blue

Edited by Elieson

Mediocre growths and base stats. He's losing 4 AS with that steel axe he joins with, so he gets 2RKO'd (10x2, he has 21 HP) by pretty much every enemy pirate in his join map. He's actually pretty similar to Bord, just with a lower skill growth and axe rank.

3/10

Captain of the Meh squad. Pretty much meh stats and outright terrible speed. And has the lovely FE1/11 problem of being a cardboard personality wise.

2/10

*Applies negative bias *

1/10

I just kill him for the first gaiden chapter to recruit Athena. Aka He is trash.

1/10

Edited by リンダ

He can be an alright Armor if you want him to be, with a very high DEF growth. Sure he still kinda sucks but I think the sheer definsive power he can get is worth just a tad more than you guys are really giving him credit for, not much more though.

5/10

i don't understand how ayanami ranks every unit on HM lower than on NM

Easier to get them killed and enemies having better bases. .___.

I've never played on H2, so I'm not going to give a rank, but I still don't like Darros. I really want to like him. I have a soft spot for big, slow, unwieldy axe users, but these characters almost invariably suck due to their poor speed. He's the only character that joins as a pirate, but I'd rather just reclass Barst.

As a side note, he actually had 40% defense growth in FE1, as opposed to his 30% here. That was back when IS decided that fighters would have high defense. Now they have bad defense. At least they tend to get speed nowadays. Oh wait... except Darros.

BTW, Colonel M, I love that quote you included.

Edited by Flock of Geese

Darros sucks but not as much as Darros 0/10

Oh no, a perpetual loop!

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ON topic, somewhat:

As a side note, he actually had 40% defense growth in FE1, as opposed to his 30% here. That was back when IS decided that fighters would have high defense. Now they have bad defense. At least they tend to get speed nowadays. Oh wait... except Darros.

Play FE12, Darros has much better speed there.

Easier to get them killed and enemies having better bases. .___.

... but if everyone's getting weaker by pretty much the same then that means it's utterly pointless beyond removing like two points from a ten-point scale. Not to mention H2 is assumed anyway, so why even bother?

Also some characters are more useful on the harder difficulties.

Like Caeda comes to mind off the top of my head, and Jeigan too (not saying he's worse on the lower difficulties persay, just that he's much more vital to your team on say, H5).

I'd say they're more vital than more useful. Wing Spear is clutch on Harder Modes, and it'll save you a lot of trouble. In NM and early HMs Caeda is even better, it's just that other units can also kill things easily.

I'd say they're more vital than more useful. Wing Spear is clutch on Harder Modes, and it'll save you a lot of trouble. In NM and early HMs Caeda is even better, it's just that other units can also kill things easily.

(not saying he's worse on the lower difficulties persay, just that he's much more vital to your team on say, H5).

but...but...

I don't think you need to use Caeda in H5, or at least not to the same degree as Jeigan.

Edited by Refa