Games Consoles Tier List

Raven

There's literally hundreds of games consoles in the world (including handheld), so I'm just going to list the most notable ones. If you want a console added, say where and why.

Note that when I say "Nintendo DS", I mean the original and all of its variants, up to the Nintendo DSi XL. Same goes for all, except Game Boys, since the original Game Boy can't play Color and Advance games.

Awesome Tier

PlayStation 2

PlayStation

Nintendo Entertainment System

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Mega Drive

Nintendo 64

Top Tier

Xbox 360

Nintendo DS

Wii

PlayStation 3

Game Boy Advance

Top Mid Tier

Nintendo GameCube

Dreamcast

Mid Tier

Xbox

PlayStation Portable

Game Boy Colour

Low Mid Tier

Master System

Saturn

Game Boy

Game Gear

Low Tier

Atari 2600

Sega CD

Commodore 64

Bottom Tier

N-Gage

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Neo Geo Pocket

CD-i

Please note that I am currently not very active since I'm more or less on a holiday, so I will update this as much as I can, as I see fit.

You all know what to do.

Edited by RΛVΣП

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the NES needs to be at the very top simply for historical reasons. That system single-handedly revived the industry after the crash of 1983, and without the NES, none of the later systems would have come about.

Is it the best system ever made? No. But is it the most important system ever made? I think so.

PS3 tier up. In my opinion, the Blu-Ray player makes it near awesome, but the price and removal of hardware backwards compatibility keeps it from being Awesome tier.

Also, I agree with NES being Awesome tier, for the reasons stated above, in addition to the fact I grew up on the system, and many of the world's greatest game franchises started on that system.

I suggest that the gameboy be moved down. Don't get me wrong, in its time it was great for its relative portability. But it doesn't stand up. The GBA has lots games like Advance Wars 2 and Golden Sun 2 that are still fun to play today, not to mention TONS of SNES ports so you can play SNES and NES and games portably. The original gameboy had some good stuff, but IMO it doesn't stand up to most of the other systems.

I would move it below the Xbox 360 honestly.

The SNES' placement is just wrong. Terribly, horribly wrong. That console has so many great games...it's just personal subjectivity but I'd put it above the NES.

I'd like to see your arguments as to why you put it where it is right now. The only thing I can think is that the DS and PSP make the SNES obsolete due to emulation, but by that logic they also make the NES obsolete AFAIK. I would not tier down systems because other systems do "the same thing better". The SNES is still top tier material at least.

Edited by Speedwagon

Dreamcast down. Sega stopped being a first party developer when it was out, it was obviously a pretty big failure. I can't really think of many notable DC games either, except for Soul Calibur.

Dreamcast down. Sega stopped being a first party developer when it was out, it was obviously a pretty big failure. I can't really think of many notable DC games either, except for Soul Calibur.

Resident Evil, Guilty Gear, stuff like that.

GameBoy under GBA, SNES over PSP, NES to Awesome Tier, PlayStation 2 tier down, NGC over Atari 2600.

Edited by Spike

PS1 and PS2 down. Too many half-assed games that no love was put in. And I really don't understand what's so great about them anyway.

SNES and N64 way up. While they may not be spectacular from a hardware point, they had a crapton of incredibly good games.

Also, the SNES had one of the best gamepads of any console so far, imo. Nice to the hand, easy to control and very good and flexible layout.

PS2 deserves its spot. It had a very long life, very good game variety, and the best games compared to its competition at the time. It had hits like GTA:SA, Gran Turismo 3 and 4, other GTA games, MGS, FF games, Kingdom Hearts. On top of that, it was a dvd player. What more do you want from it?

PS2 deserves its spot. It had a very long life, very good game variety, and the best games compared to its competition at the time. It had hits like GTA:SA, Gran Turismo 3 and 4, other GTA games, MGS, FF games, Kingdom Hearts. On top of that, it was a dvd player. What more do you want from it?

Sex? Food? Toilet?

I completely agree that there's something wrong with any list that doesn't have SNES at or very near the top. The only systems that should be in the same tier are NES (for historical reasons) and PS2 (for longevity and simply having such a huge variety of games).

The Commodore 64 is missing. It should be above the N64 and below the SNES just for coming up with the number 64.

EDIT: Wii a tier over the Xbox 360? Whatever you're smoking, I want some. It might be better (only Wii games I've played are Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros.) but not by much. The Xbox 360 has much better games overall (Halo 3 & ODST & Reach, Gears of War 1 & 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Tales of Vesperia, Borderlands, Bioshock 1 & 2...) and while it does have the RROD problem, the Wii's sensor stuff is way too overrated (was a bitch to beat Super Mario Galaxy at points).

Edited by Life

Forgot a bunch of games that the Wii doesn't have.

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2

Mass Effect 1 & 2

Fallout 3

Uncharted 1 & 2

Call of Duty (like all of them)

Is FE10 really so good that the Wii is a tier over the Xbox 360? Because I smell Nintendo fanboyism.

Edited by Life

N64, GC and DC should go higher. The GC era was pretty good, not as good as the PS2's, but good. And I actually think the Xbox should be just above the GC.

The DC era, deespite lasting one year, was pretty damn amazing, it had pretty good titles, and the graphics were really advanced for it's time.

Forgot a bunch of games that the Wii doesn't have.

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2

Mass Effect 1 & 2

Fallout 3

Uncharted 1 & 2

Call of Duty (like all of them)

Is FE10 really so good that the Wii is a tier over the Xbox 360? Because I smell Nintendo fanboyism.

Looks at list...

I sense FPS fanboyism.

Also, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Twilight Princess all say hi.

As much as I don't like the Xbox 360, it is pretty good. It has great games, Live is great, and the Xbox is always great at parties.

Edited by Bryan

Looks at list...

I sense FPS fanboyism.

Also, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Twilight Princess all say hi.

Replace TP with Brawl, because the Wii version is overshadowed by it's GC version. Veterans know best.

Replace TP with Brawl, because the Wii version is overshadowed by it's GC version. Veterans know best.

I don't like Brawl that much, and I've only played the GC version of TP. Still, my point still stands.

I have both a 360 and Wii, and I didn't notice that I had placed the Wii a tier above 360. I'll be reading through the posts and making edits to the list as appropriate. If the change you mentioned isn't applicated, then I just didn't find your argument good enough.

Also, Sega CD for shit tier. That thing has horrible graphics, barely has any decent games and takes sup another slot in the wall since it requires it's own adapter. (rememver it's fused with the Genesis)

The N-Gage is easily better, it has a cellphone function, so it's actually of some use and entertainment.