Fire Emblem: Requiem - V1.4 is up

Sacred Blaze

Which characters do you like? (Not in terms of anything in particular)  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Allies

• Val
    • Andrei
    • Linda
    • Katarina
    • Keiran
    • Josie
    • Rayden
    • Marco
    • Kane
    • Isaac
    • Nella
    • Layla
    • Almer
    • Ash
    • Drake
    • Gemma
    • Clare
    • Alicia
    • Edward
    • Nala
    • Skye
    • Hawke
    • Jace
    • Vincent
    • Ordanze
    • Laraya
    • Emilia
    • Alyssa
    • Kenrick
    • Pamela
    • Meredith
    • Thelma

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone!

I received permission from Sacred Blaze to do a Let's Play of Requiem. Here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCk9qkRaQZU&index=1&list=PLCt_OyUqfAWvcvo0lWYs3wjfaa9GH2iyT

I'm going to shoot for one video a day. You can find future videos on my channel: Strict Gryphon. Something to note: This is my first Let's Play ever, so it's going to take me a little while to warm into things. The first 4 minutes are a bit shaky, but then things go a bit more smoothly.

Enjoy! :)

Gryphon

@ Sacred Blade: are you submitting this for the FEE3 thingy? I don't see it listed in the OP over there, but it might be cool to have your hack shown off in there.

@ Gryphon: Do you mind feedback? Do you rather it be here, by PM, in the youtube comment section?

If you do want this to be in FEE3, I'd be more than willing to play it for that. Shoot me a PM, and let me know. I'm doing EN, FE7x, Staff of Ages, and Midnight Sun currently, but this would be one I definitely would not mind adding.

Alright then:

- You already mentioned the voice issues in your video. Certainly something to work on. Work on the male ones first, they're more monotone than the female ones. Try to get emotion into them when you're reading the lines.

- I'd recommend not doing LPs while sick. While obviously you want to push through it, that first video where you had your cough and all are people's first impressions of your LP and its quality level. Fair or not, that's going to be the video everyone judges when it comes to deciding if its worth their time to continue watching or not. If you do want to continue, I'd recommend getting a mute switch for your mic. Keep your cough out of the way as much as possible while you're in the middle of talking about something. The moment you finish hit the mute switch, quickly cough while still doing something minor on screen, then turn off the mute switch again. Its a small change, but then us as the viewer don't hear you coughing. If done really well we might not even realize that you're sick or that you had to constantly mute for brief moments.

- You're doing a quasi blind playthrough which makes this a bit more tricky, but LPs are more interesting when you can provide information about the game/hack throughout the entire LP. You started off a little bit like that: at the start of the video you mentioned how this hack came out of nowhere. Expanding on that during that episode would have been a good idea: explain more to your audience how surprising it is that this hack just suddenly appeared completed. Point out how when it comes to completely different stories (that are still trying to be serious and not 4 da lulz) and not just rebalancing hacks, really only The Last Promise and EN exist in a completed or mostly completed form. You can still find bits of information to give out: you could go over the changes Andrei and his weapon have gone through once you pick up his unique weapon for example.

- Again rather tricky when you're doing a blind playthrough, but something I personally enjoy in FE or FE Hack LPs is the commentator's opinion on playable characters as they pop up. Its always interesting to hear them go on like "Well, we're recruited so-and-so now. They're kinda strange for a swordsman, less speed and more defence. I haven't had much luck with them, in my previous playthroughs they always got speed screwed on top of their lower speed growth rate and their better defence couldn't make up the difference. They ended up being a swordsman who tried to tank without enough defence, and couldn't double reliably." Even if you can't do that as well, you can still talk about recruitable characters once you have them, at least go over their base stats and your first impressions of them. Can also look up their growth rates ahead of time so you can comment on them a bit in the video as well. Sacred Blaze's opinion on each character could also be a very interesting bit of information to give the audience. Give the viewer something to chew on, just don't quote it word for word. People can tell when you're doing that, just paraphrase it.

So unlike the bit of dialogue I made up before, yours would be more like "Well now we have Andrei. Compared to Val he obviously has more strength but overall they're looking rather similar. This will likely change overtime, his growths lean more towards HP, and Strength with okay Speed, Skill, and Defence while Val is more about Speed and Skill with okay HP, Strength, and Defence. His Con is a bit on the high side as well which is nice, his speed growth is right in that spot where its easy for him to be slightly under average and then have to worry about not doubling anything. Higher Con means he can use those better swords without a speed penalty on top of that."

- Its also interesting to hear the commentator's opinion on character personalities. You did that a bit with Linda which is nice. To kinda try to combine this point with my previous one: you're not just showing us the game. You're taking us both into its world, and your experiences within that world. You can still do that in a blind playthrough; give us your honest reaction to things as they happen. If you don't play ahead at all and let the maps truly surprise you later on, I can assure you you'll have some interesting reactions to thing. Though I'd recommend save states for obvious reasons. Try to avoid using them whenever possible, but you want them when you need them. Make sure you plan to get all chests as well! People want to know whats in them. Same with support convos, though that won't happen until Ash Mode (should probably mention that in your videos: that what you're in is basically Lyn Mode atm).

---

Also uh, I found out that the anti-arrow item thingy doesn't protect against the anti-armour bow. It still deals effective damage against flies, wheeeeee

Edited by TheNiddo

I wasn't planning on submitting it for FEE3.

And, yeah, I know it doesn't protect against the Break Arc. At first I was thinking of removing it, but then I figured, well it does have the word "Break" in it. There aren't really that many enemy archers with that bow in the first place anyways. I only remember the ones in chapter 16 and 23, off the top of my head.

Also, I haven't watched any of the LP yet, but I'll get around to it eventually. I'm gonna be quite busy for these next few weeks.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

I wasn't planning on submitting it for FEE3.

And, yeah, I know it doesn't protect against the Break Arc. At first I was thinking of removing it, but then I figured, well it does have the word "Break" in it. There aren't really that many enemy archers with that bow in the first place anyways. I only remember the ones in chapter 16 and 23, off the top of my head.

Also, I haven't watched any of the LP yet, but I'll get around to it eventually. I'm gonna be quite busy for these next few weeks.

I feel like the audience that isn't on SF could benefit from knowing that there's another full out english hack out there that's done. No pressure or anything, i guess it all boils down to how low key you are. But I'm gonna suggest you let us put it in fee3 because holy shit the lineup is sooo small.

I feel like the audience that isn't on SF could benefit from knowing that there's another full out english hack out there that's done. No pressure or anything, i guess it all boils down to how low key you are. But I'm gonna suggest you let us put it in fee3 because holy shit the lineup is sooo small.

If all else fails, have the show's host announce it during the proceedings. "Oh and by the way, you might be interested to know..."

@TheNiddo: Thank you for putting in the time to give me a lot of good feedback (I'm being serious, I hope that doesn't sound like sarcasm). You gave me quite a bit to work with and I think I can put it to good use.

I think one of my biggest problems with the voices and commentary is that I'm shy. I've always been quite the introvert and I get nervous.. But if I want to make entertaining LPs I need to at the very least pretend to be an extrovert lol. I'll take the time to give more of my opinions on things and some background (when it feels natural), and I'll try to put more emotion in the voices. While I'm learning to do this however most of my voices might sound male. Heh, in episode three I tried to do a Spanish accent for Marco and failed very miserably. I hope at least the viewers get a good laugh out of it.

That mute button also sounds like a good idea for when I feel a cough coming. Perhaps I could map the button to my controller.

Thanks again.

@Sacred Blaze: I understand, real life calls. There's no rush, The LP will be there when you're ready.

Edited by Strict_Gryphon90

Ya, that's one of the things with acting in LPs: you have to not care if anyone hears you. Its kinda the same situation if you watch somebody making a video and they have a character that needs to shout something, but the actor doesn't want to wake up the neighbours and does an awkward sounding "loud whisper" instead of a shout. The audience can pick up on it right away. Gotta throw away that embarrassment, go "Screw it I'm making entertainment. Who gives a rip if somebody hears me shouting in a high pitched girly voice because Val was surprised by something suddenly?"

I put myself in that sort of mindset when it comes to public speaking. I'm a very quiet person, but I got tied of group projects with presentations going poorly because my teammates couldn't do the public speaking bit. So, I just kinda forced myself to stop caring about what others may think, became animated during presentations.

Don't be afraid to do some test runs of the prologue lines if you have to. Start up a new game, start recording, just speak all of the lines up until you can move on the map, stop recording, go back and listen to yourself. Maybe have some other people listen to it as well if you can, try to figure out how to improve. Just go over that particular section multiple times until you feel that you've gotten better at adding emotions and the like in your acting. Can always save the footage as an emergency "I don't have time to do another map today but I still wanna upload a video for the LP" button.

I've only watched the first video so far. I'll pick my way through the other two now, see if I need to add anything here. If there is I'll edit it in, if you see no edits assume that my first post covered everything I saw there. Good luck with the LP.

EDIT1: Uh... are the videos only showing up in 144p for anyone else, or is my internet just being weird? (It does that on occasion)

Edited by TheNiddo

Hehe, I may very well become a celebrity in my neighborhood as the guy that has conversations with himself in funny voices. The test video sounds like a good idea. I have a few local friends that are real big into movies and acting. I can show it to them.

As for the video quality, part 2 is in 360p for me but the other two are in 144. I don't know how that happened, I didn't change any of the recording software's settings between videos. Maybe it has to do with Youtube. I'll try to figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the lords promote via items a la Heaven Seal in FE7 or at a specific chapter? Starting chapter 18 and Im getitng imminent plot promotion vibes but theyre quite a ways from 20

If I recall correctly, Ash promotes automatically while Val and Alicia (is that even her name? I forget) promote using Royal Crests. I believe this all happens after you beat the chapter with the arena. Double check with Blaze though.

Bah, I thought itd be Val story promoting, considering the events of the story. I arena'd her to 20 but the others are still 13

On an unrelated note, RNG has been amazing to her and shes made the entire game much less painful (I started with Hard mode because why not). Here is the results of my grinding. I gave her a seraph robe before Ash's route jsut to be sure it didnt go to waste, but she hasnt received a single other stat boost item . Not even for strength

znNLcCP.png?1

Edited by The Black Pot

okay so I've played this hack over a couple of times and both times, Linda and Katarina were absolute monsters (I paired them together for an A support like the raging yuri fangirl I am)

Linda's defensive growths are actually better than Val's by quite a bit and her strength almost always gets capped, Katarina is ridiculous against the enemy types in this game and has strong stats as well, and their support ranks are kinda unfair with how much attack and defense they get.

Oh man, let's not even mention how the latest patch gave Linda +15 crit. She usually ends up having somewhere around 35 crit with an iron bow while receiving support bonuses from Katarina.

I think I'm gonna two-unit clear the penultimate chapter with these two.

Bah, I thought itd be Val story promoting, considering the events of the story. I arena'd her to 20 but the others are still 13

On an unrelated note, RNG has been amazing to her and shes made the entire game much less painful (I started with Hard mode because why not). Here is the results of my grinding. I gave her a seraph robe before Ash's route jsut to be sure it didnt go to waste, but she hasnt received a single other stat boost item . Not even for strength

znNLcCP.png?1

Well, you'll get the Heaven's seal equivalents on the same chapter Ash promotes anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

And wow, what the heck are those stats. Her defence in particular is what it should be when she's like 20/20.

okay so I've played this hack over a couple of times and both times, Linda and Katarina were absolute monsters (I paired them together for an A support like the raging yuri fangirl I am)

Linda's defensive growths are actually better than Val's by quite a bit and her strength almost always gets capped, Katarina is ridiculous against the enemy types in this game and has strong stats as well, and their support ranks are kinda unfair with how much attack and defense they get.

Oh man, let's not even mention how the latest patch gave Linda +15 crit. She usually ends up having somewhere around 35 crit with an iron bow while receiving support bonuses from Katarina.

I think I'm gonna two-unit clear the penultimate chapter with these two.

It's funny to hear that, because I remember in the beginning, some people took one look at her and just decided that Linda was an awful unit, without even taking the time to train her up even a little bit.

And Katarina is pretty much always good, yeah.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Hey everyone. So I've started playing this hack today and I've read through some posts here but I can't seem to find anyone having this problem, but I want to ask the support system is the same as in the normal FE 7? Because I've tried from chapter 1 or 2 to make some supports but I can't seem to make any. I've made the characters stay close to each other (those who I want to make support and I've read the support document to make sure that I get them right) and even after 300 turns I can't seem to get any support option to choose. I use the latest patch and this is my first time playing the game so I'm not using any old save files or anything.

And one more question, I've seen people talking about grinding, but there is arena in this game because until chapter 5 I use mostly Jose to kill everybody of the enemy troops. (lol)

Thanks.

Supports are only available from Ch. 9 onwards; Pr. - Ch. 8 are built on Lyn's mode, and Supports don't work there.

As for the Arena, there's at least one, but it's a lategame (Ch. 18ish) thing.

Well I thought as well that maybe indeed the supports are available on later chapters. Thanks for the answer.

My game is a couple versions old by now so odds are you know about this or have fixed it already, but I stumbled across a presumable bug in start-of-chapter storytime. At the start of chapter 22 where they arrive at the fortress and

[spoiler=Chapter 22]

Matthias attacks Andrei

the combat just stops after Andrei dodges the first hit and the two just stand there staring at each other, presumably bonding over Softly with Grace as it played. My Andrei had no equipped weapon at the time, which is presumably what caused the freezeup. I got around it by resetting and using start to skip to battle preparation, so the only real consequence was a little confusion in the post chapter events

Edited by The Black Pot

My game is a couple versions old by now so odds are you know about this or have fixed it already, but I stumbled across a presumable bug in start-of-chapter storytime. At the start of chapter 22 where they arrive at the fortress and

[spoiler=Chapter 22]

Matthias attacks Andrei

the combat just stops after Andrei dodges the first hit and the two just stand there staring at each other, presumably bonding over Softly with Grace as it played. My Andrei had no equipped weapon at the time, which is presumably what caused the freezeup. I got around it by resetting and using start to skip to battle preparation, so the only real consequence was a little confusion in the post chapter events

Just finished the game 1 day ago and I can assure you that I've played the latest patch and this didn't happened to me. The event went smoothly with no problems so the problem may be that you are playing on an old patch of the hack.