Event Assembler Questions Thread

CT075

Hi, noob hacker here way late to the party. I have a question about conditionals and event IDs. Basically, I want units to keep spawning until a character dies, so I set a death quote ID (0x3C) and used the code:

TURN 0 Ref_1 [1, 20] 0 0

Ref_1:
IFEF 0x01 0x3C
LOU1 Reinforce_1
ENUN
ELSE 0x02
ENIF 0x01
ENIF 0x02
ENDA

It works fine when I play straight through. I kill the guy and they stop spawning. But when I suspend the game, then resume the chapter they begin spawning again even though he is dead. I imagine the game does not save the event ID and is reset. Any way around this issue, because I love the idea and don't want to give it up.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get an AI set up where they don't attack an NPC that is heavily guarded. He's Merlinus as a civilian map sprite that you have to reach and talk to to end the chapter. I'm trying to get the don't attack target AI to work but they keep running at him first. The AI helpers in event assembler show:

#define DoNotAttack_firstTarget        0x07
#define defineFirstTarget(characterID) "PUSH; ORG 0xB979E8; WORD characterID; POP"

So in my code I have:

Opening_event:
defineFirstTarget(0x28) // Merlinus

Is there a specific place I need to put this so that it works better?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I figured it out. Letting it play through for a while, they actually do not attack Merlinus, they just pursue him. So they run after him, and right up next to him, but don't attack. Very interesting, just thought I'd share.

Edited by nsm91

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, just need to know how to to an event that loads a reinforcement if a char dies, I'm using AFEVS and death quotes, but it only works on enemies and I need it to work on player and NPC UNITS TOO

EDIT: Managed it to work with player units deaths, just load an Enemy and then turn it into player unit, but it does not seem to work on NPC death quotes, it just skips the event.

Edited by marlon0024

• 5 months later...

I'm having a strange problem right now, with FE8. Whenever I assemble my event script into a rom, the rom is rendered broken -- my emulator has an error when I try to load the file, and opening it in FEBuilder gives multiple errors, each of which says the rom is broken. The same thing happens when I assemble to a clean FE8 rom, as well as when I try it with a different copy of Event Assembler. I'm still new to eventing so I'm hoping that this is just some careless error on my part (since at this point the alternative is that EA is broken for me in some arcane way).

Here's the script (spoiler for length). It's based on the Expanded FE8 Template included in the EA download. The #includes are basically just for definitions, and I'm using the REDA helpers linked here.

Spoiler

#include EAstdlib.event
#include "Tool Helpers.txt"
#include MUDefinitions.txt

#ifndef InlineEvents
  PUSH
  ORG 0x00EF2F20
#endif

#define ChName_ID 0x01 //TODO: Change this depending on what chapter you're making.
EventPointerTable(ChName_ID, ChName_ThisChapter)

ChName_ThisChapter:

POIN ChName_TurnBasedEvents
POIN ChName_CharacterBasedEvents
POIN ChName_LocationBasedEvents
POIN ChName_MiscBasedEvents
POIN ChName_Dunno ChName_Dunno ChName_Dunno
POIN ChName_Tutorial
POIN ChName_Units1 ChName_Units1
POIN $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
POIN ChName_BeginningScene ChName_EndingScene

ChName_TurnBasedEvents:
TURN

ChName_CharacterBasedEvents:
CHAR

ChName_LocationBasedEvents:
House(0x0,House1,2,3)
House(0x1,House2,3,2)

House1:
MUSI
FADI 10
SetBackground(HouseBG)
FADU 10
Text(0x90C)
ClearBackground
MUNO
ENDA

House2:
MUSI
FADI 10
SetBackground(HouseBG)
FADU 10
Text(0x90A)
ClearBackground
MUNO
ENDA
LOCA

ChName_MiscBasedEvents:
DefeatAll(ChName_EndingScene)
CauseGameOverIfLordDies
AFEV

ChName_Dunno:
END_MAIN

ChName_Tutorial:
END_MAIN

ChName_Units1:

MuF:
UNIT KrisF SquireF 0x00 Level(10,Ally,False) [10,4] 0x0 0x0 0x1 REDA10R5 [Vulnerary,MasterSeal] NoAI
UNIT

Bad:
UNIT Cormag WyvernRider 0x00 Level(3,Enemy,False) [10,4] 0x2 0x0 0x1 REDA0R3 [Javelin,Elixir] NeverMoveAI
UNIT 0x80 Knight_F Cormag Level(2,Enemy,False) [10,4] 0x0 0x0 0x1 REDA3R6 [IronAxe] [0x00, NoAI2] 0x00 0x00
UNIT 0x80 Soldier Cormag Level(1,Enemy,False) [10,4] 0x0 0x0 0x1 REDA6R9 [IronLance] [0x00,0x00,0x04,0x00]
UNIT 

Sunstone:
UNIT GlenCC WyvernLord 0x00 Level(10,NPC,False) [10,4] 0x0 0x0 0x1 REDA15R5 [DragonSpear,SteelAxe] NoAI
UNIT

Obsidian:
UNIT Duessel GreatKnight 0x00 Level(10,NPC,False) [10,4] 0x0 0x0 0x1 REDA15R6 [SilverAxe,SteelLance,Vulnerary] NoAI
UNIT

ChName_BeginningScene:
FADU 0x8

LOAD1 0x1 Bad
ENUN
Load1 0x1 Sunstone
LOAD1 0x1 MuF
ENUN
FADI 16;
REMOVEPORTRAITS;
PROM KrisF Cavalier_F MasterSeal;
REMOVEPORTRAITS;
FADU 16
ENUN
LOAD1 0x1 Obsidian
ENUN

ENDB

ChName_EndingScene:

MNC2 0x01 //TODO: Replace with proper code for next chapter.
ENDA

#ifndef InlineEvents
  MESSAGE Events end at offset CURRENTOFFSET
  POP
#endif

My code is probably pretty sloppy, but as far as I can tell it's not so bad that it would break the rom in the way that I'm describing. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

• 2 months later...

Hi! I have a question that's been stumping me for a while now.

I'm making a FE8 hack and I want to make a gaiden chapter after chapter 8. However, I can't seem to find a way to insert the chapter at all. Is there a special method I need to do in order to make it? 

Any insight will be much appreciated.