Other Character Design Impressions

Leif

I haven't seen other forum members talk about these characters as much. What are your impressions of Miriel, Richt and Mariabel.

I'll start off with the good first. I am very impressed with Miriel's design. IS finally got it right. Instead of having the typical mini-skirt, or leg-revealing mage girl they designed Miriel with conservative attire. Her design makes sense for battle since she is actually wearing pants, what a shocker. Judging from her bio, she seems more like a female Erk than anything, but I'll happily accept that.

Now moving on to the ugly. Richt. Oh man, another Rolf clone, except with an over-sized hat. I'm against having child fighters in Fire Emblem. Really, what is wrong with adding a few years to Richt? I don't understand why IS continually places in ten-year-old fighters in the battlefield. I believe that Fire Emblem is geared more toward the mid-teen and late-teen/early adulthood crowd, since a much younger audience would most likely appreciate faster-paced games than a strategy-heavy video game like Fire Emblem. How does having a really young kid, like Richt, help the audience relate to the characters? Richt would seem like nothing more than an annoyance since in his bio it directly states that he speaks and acts like a child. I mean, Richt could be a side-character that doesn't fight, and that would be totally fine. I mean realistically speaking, I can't see Richt sustaining a wound from a sword, and killing full-grown men and still be mentally stable afterward. I mean armies in the past had enough sense not to send a twelve-year-old into battle. It irks me to see IS design children that can grow into exceptional fighters at their young age. The good thing about Richt is that he has similar, conservative mage attire that Miriel has, that's about it.

Now to the disaster.

Mariabel, oh lord, what was IS thinking. Not only does she have hearts on her straps, but she also has to have a parasol as well? Similar to the whole "sending a kid to battle" issue, I have a major problem with sending a nobleman's child onto the battlefield too, especially when there the cute, but annoying/bossy archetype. I mean, Mariabel looks like she is about to go on a picnic rather than going into the line of fire. All I have to say is that her mental health must be on the border of insanity since she has the audacity to bring a parasol onto the battlefield. However, she is a friend of Liz, the hoop skirt wearing dolt, so that does explain a few things a bit. Why not have a character that was actually trained as a battlefield cleric and was actually mentally prepared to see carnage. The only good characteristic that Mariabel has is that she wears pants, which you really need when riding a horse. L'arachel, Clarine, and Prisilla all got that wrong since they wore mini-skirts on their horses.

Seeing this makes me want to take over the character designs at IS. I would at least encourage the creation of more characters that are designed well, like Miriel.

My rant is done, thoughts?

Edited by Leif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The witch hats are a bit ridiculous, but hey, times has passed and fashions evolve, and it seems to have become a standard for mages, so I'm not too fussed about that. Pants are definitely good.

I'm liking Miriel so far. While I've preferred female units who were in physical classes mostly, she sounds like an intelligent woman who doesn't take bullshit, and I like that. I definitely approve of the pants.

Richt is a shota so I don't give a shit about him unless he has something as cool as Graficalibur. It takes something that good for me to use a shota character in non-thematic runs. And I agree that kids don't belong on the battlefield.

Mariabel probably have a high hp stat. Doesn't her arms get tired from holding that parasol? Her stamina is probably pretty boss if she can hold it in that position all the time. //notbeingserious

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I love Mariabel so far, but that is kind of because I usually like the prissy noble healers, like L'arachel. I also like Miriel so far...she kind of looks like a less slutty bayonetta. Richt....idk His hat is kind of neat, but he seems kind of boring otherwise.

I usually end up using all magic units I get my hands on though, so this might be a bit biased.

Edited by Griffen78

Richt is a shota so I don't give a shit about him unless he has something as cool as Graficalibur. It takes something that good for me to use a shota character in non-thematic runs. And I agree that kids don't belong on the battlefield.

Is Celerity as cool as Grafcalibur? FE9!Tormod and Asvel are, I think, the only two young mages (or characters in general) I tend to use. Maybe Richt will have something going for him? Or at least he won't have the worst magic base in the game? *coughyubellocough*

Although young kids on the battlefield might not be *that* weird within the world. I mean, Spartan kids were trained from age 7 (IIRC) and would be in some brutal situations at a young age. Richt doesn't look like he fits that culture, but who knows?

Spartan kids probably have the emotional maturity to handle bloodshed, as they were raised in a militaristic culture. Richt is said to sound and act like a kid, which implies immaturity.

I dunno about FE9 Tormod since I've never played FE9, having no gamecube nor wii (I haven't even finished RD yet which is on a save at a friend's house), so I can't judge him. I just don't like kids in general even if I deem them to be fit for the battlefield, but Asvel's offense is just too good to pass up.

I played Thracia in moon, though, so I don't know much of Asvel's personality. I hope he's at least a mature kid.

Now moving on to the ugly. Richt. Oh man, another Rolf clone, except with an over-sized hat. I'm against having child fighters in Fire Emblem. Really, what is wrong with adding a few years to Richt? I don't understand why IS continually places in ten-year-old fighters in the battlefield.

Fire Emblem has only ever had one 10 year old (whose age we're sure of), that's Corple who is a priest. So this isn't really continual. Indeed, the youngest character we've seen in an NA FE is Sanaki, at 13, so it would seem that the trend is towards older characters. Certainly, Krom looks older than Marth's 16.

Richt will probably end up being 14 or 15. Maybe 13 at the outmost. He's a bit baby-faced, but that happens.

Seeing this makes me want to take over the character designs at IS. I would at least encourage the creation of more characters that are designed well, like Miriel.

My rant is done, thoughts?

Personally, I like Mariabel. I always like the royal bitches like Tabitha, L'arachel, and Clarine, I'm happy to see them back. I agree her design is silly, though. L'arachel might have been a royal bitch but at least she didn't have hearts and parasols and button hats and hoop skirts and other cutesy shit.

I don't know if their OA is necessarily supposed to be representative of what they wear into battle. I imagine that L'arachel puts on trousers when she goes riding, but otherwise goes for the skimpy miniskirt. Maybe that's just me though.

The villain shown in the CG segments is my favorite design thus far. He reminds me of Jaffar from Aladin. He looks like a cunning, ruthless, and, most of all, sinister villain. I wouldn't want to meet that guy in a dark alley, that's for sure. Though he doesn't give off an imposing presence the same way Caineghis' sheer size did, he's imposing for just looking like an intelligent evil guy. I love it.

I want a villain who doesn't look obviously evil, or at least apart from the obviously evil one, I want one where at first look you can't guess he/she is evil.

I can understand wanting that. For me though, depending on what the aim for the character is, it colors what I'm looking for. I've been playing a lot of Tales of titles, so I'm a bit tired of the villain turning out to not really be evil in the end. I was looking for purely villainous villain and this guy looks like he'll deliver just that.

Fire Emblem has only ever had one 10 year old (whose age we're sure of), that's Corple who is a priest. So this isn't really continual. Indeed, the youngest character we've seen in an NA FE is Sanaki, at 13, so it would seem that the trend is towards older characters. Certainly, Krom looks older than Marth's 16.

Richt will probably end up being 14 or 15. Maybe 13 at the outmost. He's a bit baby-faced, but that happens.

Personally, I like Mariabel. I always like the royal bitches like Tabitha, L'arachel, and Clarine, I'm happy to see them back. I agree her design is silly, though. L'arachel might have been a royal bitch but at least she didn't have hearts and parasols and button hats and hoop skirts and other cutesy shit.

I am happy that they at least made Richt a Mage. That class makes more sense for him since he a kid and most likely not strong enough to wield a lance or axe (I still don't know why twig-legged Liz can get an axe upon promotion), so magic is the safer option.

Mariabel could have been worse, at least the hearts and parasol are what we get. I still don't get Liz's hoop skirt though. The hoop skirt has SPIKES on the tips! How can she run without gouging her shins to death? We see her run in the recently released story trailer, but I bet she had to take really fast baby-steps without banging her legs against the metal frame. A plain skirt could have done IS, but no, we get a button hat AND a hoop skirt on one of our title characters....

Edited by Leif

I like both of the girls' designs and am indifferent about the kid mage. I like having different archetypes in the army even if they are annoying. I just hope there are more older recruitables, though.

I want a villain who doesn't look obviously evil, or at least apart from the obviously evil one, I want one where at first look you can't guess he/she is evil.

Dorothy.png

I don't think they'd be a very interesting villain if they were like that even if they were characterised well.

I like the three of them ^^' their designs highlight their personality imo. Miriel looks smart and she looks like she doesn't take anything from anyone. Richt looks cute ^^' and Maribel looks girly and rich/classy ^^' I like Maribel's design but they should of put a staff instead of a parasol but I think they added it to make her look girlier.

I don't really like Mariabel either, its like Princess Peach all over again. But yeah, I think Richt is fine. The only other character I find disturbing in this game is Marth; who looks to have a lot scarier personality then FE1, 3, 11 and 12 Marth...

The witch hats are a bit ridiculous, but hey, times has passed and fashions evolve, and it seems to have become a standard for mages, so I'm not too fussed about that. Pants are definitely good.

I'm liking Miriel so far. While I've preferred female units who were in physical classes mostly, she sounds like an intelligent woman who doesn't take bullshit, and I like that. I definitely approve of the pants.

Mariabel probably have a high hp stat. Doesn't her arms get tired from holding that parasol? Her stamina is probably pretty boss if she can hold it in that position all the time. //notbeingserious

She probly hides the parasol in her ass before she uses a staff or is attacked by an enemy. Looking at the design and all the new features they're adding to this Fe, they're definitely trying to pull in fans of other different games. The mages immediately bring to mind black mages from Final Fantasy. The character art reminds me of Suikoden Tierklies.

Edited by Evalcin

Hee

I have no problem with her having a parasol. It's just that her pose is ridiculous. I really can't take someone seriously if they hold a parasol like that as the person talks.

Anyway let's talk about the new characters too

Flavia <3

Flavia was designed very well; she reminds me of Machuya from FE5. I feel a bit bad for mistaking her for a man, but I guess that is a good thing in a weird way since she is supposed to be a non-girly, strong female character.

I like both of the Ferian rulers. Their designs convey their powerful positions well.

Also Flavia has a big-ass claymore. This is a majormajormajormajor plus.

Not a fan of how fanservicey Velvet is, though, but eh. I like her otherwise.

Viole looks dapper. :D