The Lunatic Club

Shinori

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just began Lunatic tonight... Classic, of course. Just gonna try and, well, beat it so I can get Lunatic+, where the real challenge and E-Peen growth lies... Beat Premonition and Prologue fairly easily (Boss did crit me once which felt kinda bad but otherwise alright...). Working on Chapter 1 now.

EDIT: Ch. 1 finally down... But Ch.2 is giving me true hell... Frederick keeps managing to get crit by a soldier... Life isn't fair sometimes.

EDIT2: Ch.2 down, yay... Ch.3 though is true hell. I always get to the last few foes, and Frederick gets crit again. Gods I hate this.

Edited by GigaBreaker88

Just started my second Lunatic(classic) playthrough today. First time I used DLC to grind because I intended it to be a postgame file, but this time I won't be using any paid content, Logbook units or Streetpass teams, and I won't be fighting any Challenge battles. Everything else is fair game because I'm a casual scrub (except possibly Nosferatu. Going to try and avoid it but we'll see what the endgame chapters are like.) I guess it would fall under the classification of 'no-grind' but I've grinded more here in the first chapters than I have in any other game aside from my FE8 Creature Campaign file, so that seems like a bit of a misnomer.

That being said, I just finished Ch.3 and an Anna shop spawned selling one of each Seal and a Rescue staff. In addition, Robin is +HP/-Luck, and is currently a bit defense-blessed (rocking 17 Def at level 14), which has also helped tremendously. I hope I get this kind of luck when I try Lunatic+ no-grind.

Still at base Luck, though. Had to restart Ch.3 once because the poor woman got crit twice on the same enemy phase. I'm starting to see why people go with -Skill.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

Casual allows me to do some really stupid things, like bait with Lissa, or wipe half my team in a skirmish because screw the enemy density on Chapter 3 (I won that, somehow). Would've done the skirmish that just popped up, but I'd be facing promoted enemies with mid-20 stats, while my team is mostly unpromoted.

Currently on Chapter 9, and am quite pleased with how my team is turning out. Stahl x Kellam can absorb hits like no other, and both of them have pretty good Speed. Considering promoting Kellam now, as the +1 movement from Great Knight would be a huge boon.

-skill is fine for nogrind/noDLC since you don't really need your procs that high until Apo Anyway. -luck has the drawback of seeing existent crit rates earlygame, which granted, are low, but a 1% critical is a very real possibility and can fuck up an otherwise well-thought out plan.

-skill is also far easier to offset earlygame because of how pairup immediately gives you extra hit, wheras you only get extra crit avo farther up the support levels. not to mention a lot of earlygame bandits can have gamble too :\

Tell that to my Avatar who missed two 91% shots in a row. :(:

I think the RNG on Lunatic is really, REALLY wonky. Sometimes, I'll get nonsense like what I outlined above, and other times, I'll do crazy things like dodge two 77% attacks. Speaking of the RNG, I'm doing a little bit of experimenting involving save states, and will report back when I've got a better idea of what's happening behind the scenes. In the meantime. . .does anyone know if staff usage burns RNs?

Unless you level up off them they do not affect the rn string(s) that affects attacks and level ups (I did some experiments via bookmark backups on my digital copy). However, in my own testing I wasn't able to determine whether they affect other potential rn strings which may influence ai behaviour, cursor drawing and other such secondary functions.

My reasoning was that -Luck gives a slightly higher Defense growth over -Skill, and I wanted as much as I could get.

I'm thinking about training Vaike or Lon'qu, but do either of them remain viable through Valm and back into Plegia? I would like to have a Warrior and Vaike seems like a good choice for that. As for Lon'qu, I know he's excellent early on but I don't want to put too much exp into him if his defenses can't handle the second half of the game.

Unless you level up off them they do not affect the rn string(s) that affects attacks and level ups (I did some experiments via bookmark backups on my digital copy). However, in my own testing I wasn't able to determine whether they affect other potential rn strings which may influence ai behaviour, cursor drawing and other such secondary functions.

Oooh, thanks~!

I did some testing in Casual, and apparently the RN state is preserved when you save (wasn't sure about whether or not Stahl consistently missing the same 70% was a fluke). My test was to have someone level up right after the save point. Got the same level, which means more than one RN is preserved. This means that I can REALLY have fun with Lunatic - as long as it's player phase, and I have the means to change the RN, I can manipulate my levels/hits! I hope this doesn't carry over to FE14, though - it makes Casual feel too easy. ;/

My reasoning was that -Luck gives a slightly higher Defense growth over -Skill, and I wanted as much as I could get.

I'm thinking about training Vaike or Lon'qu, but do either of them remain viable through Valm and back into Plegia? I would like to have a Warrior and Vaike seems like a good choice for that. As for Lon'qu, I know he's excellent early on but I don't want to put too much exp into him if his defenses can't handle the second half of the game.

Keep an eye on Vaike's Speed - as long as he's not in danger of being doubled, he should be fine, and Hammer/bow access helps a lot. Lon'qu will forever be a nice back-row dude, especially if you can get him to promotion. The +5 to Speed (before counting his stats/support levels) is really sweet.

Better yet, have Lon'qu support Vaike - that should alleviate the latter's Speed issues!

I saw the -1 strength mod for -skill and noped out of there. I guess it wouldn't be bad if you're planning on a magical morgan or magical MU

Oh and I know that feeling about thunder early game. Reset way too much for my liking after missing on the elthunder mage in prologue.

Edited by Arky

Keep an eye on Vaike's Speed - as long as he's not in danger of being doubled, he should be fine, and Hammer/bow access helps a lot. Lon'qu will forever be a nice back-row dude, especially if you can get him to promotion. The +5 to Speed (before counting his stats/support levels) is really sweet.

Better yet, have Lon'qu support Vaike - that should alleviate the latter's Speed issues!

I typically (read as: always) have the two support each other during the first arc of the game in Hard Mode because they give each other exactly what they both want and don't need any hand-holding to do well. Good to know they should hold up here also.

Vaike and LQ are both pretty solid. I decided to pick up Vaike in my run just to show the guy some love. Eclipse is totally right, watch his speed. I don't think the guy can ever get into doubling range of anything because of that speed rut, even with a speed pair up. He wants to go Hero more than Warrior.

LQ is pretty good, at least from a theory perspective. He is a myrmidon with a 55% Str growth which is really solid. Being sword locked isn't so bad in this game since swords have 2 effective weapons and brave access at rank C. He probably wants to go assassin for bow access so that he doesn't hit like a wet noodle against wyverns that have swordbreaker or lance wielding Pegasi. Assassin also gives better pair up bonuses than Swordmaster.

Like Sumia, despite his high speed base he does need a speed pair up to double consistently. Vantage can be pretty :awesome: sometimes.

I'll go ahead and say LQ is the better character.

I saw the -1 strength mod for -skill and noped out of there. I guess it wouldn't be bad if you're planning on a magical morgan or magical MU

Oh and I know that feeling about thunder early game. Reset way too much for my liking after missing on the elthunder mage in prologue.

It's worth noting that -Luk is -1 for both Str and Mag caps. In fact, avoiding a Flaw pulling Str down requires -Spd, -Def or -Res (which are all pretty gross).

Or -Mag

-Res is honestly not bad if you don't mind the -1 Spd mod, your speed growth isn't awful anyway esp in moderately-to-very fast classes like Hero and DF and you still murder everything

For reference I did L+ Classic Nogrind on +Str -Res.

-Def isn't much of a problem if you intend it for a postgame Apo file instead of ingame/nogrind.

Edited by Thor Odinson

well i mean like -def should really only be a thing if you /really/ want a challenge in nogrind

but in apo where you're expected to have a bunch of capped units anyway and get 2hko'd regardless and you really want your apo file on Lunatic for some reasons -def is prolly the best +str flaw specifically there

-def could work if you just Fred Emblem'd the whole way to chapter 4 :P

It has its uses unlike -spd, anyway

Edited by Thor Odinson

Oh yeah -def is 100% the best post game flaw but man is it hurtful during the game. Your avatar ends up with like the same defensive parameters as Sumia, lol.

I wonder what is worse between that and -Spd.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

I did some testing in Casual, and apparently the RN state is preserved when you save (wasn't sure about whether or not Stahl consistently missing the same 70% was a fluke). My test was to have someone level up right after the save point. Got the same level, which means more than one RN is preserved. This means that I can REALLY have fun with Lunatic - as long as it's player phase, and I have the means to change the RN, I can manipulate my levels/hits! I hope this doesn't carry over to FE14, though - it makes Casual feel too easy. ;/

If you figure out how to do that indefinitely, do share. RN wasting in this game is not easy.

I wonder what is worse between that and -Spd.

-Spd is far worse. A -Def Avatar can still use Interceptor strats to clear Pro-Cht.4 just as reliably as any other flaw (maybe even a little more since it doesn't touch Str/Mag and barely hurts Hit), and from there out the game is still possible because you can switch Avatar to glass cannon mode (treat them like Miriel) and start training someone else as your main frontliner (probably Chrom, or if you can wait for them Panne/Nowi). A -Spd Avatar, on the other hand? Technically they can still tank with a Fred support provided they have a +Def asset and don't get doubled, but they'll become useless offensively around the time when you would be expected to start doubling (moreso if they leave Tactician and can't Rexcalibut down fliers), and useless defensively if they ever start getting doubled by anything.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Back itt to hype Lon'qu. In my experience, Wyvern!Lon'qu is not significantly that different from Panne, except he has Vantage, more consistent Avoid, more time to level/build supports, no Beast weakness (dem forged Beastkillers) and can fight better at base/before reclassing.

tbh I remember wanting to say he's the best non-pure utility after the Veteran crew (in Lunatic), but I haven't analyzed or thought about that for some time.

Edited by XeKr

With Spd flaw you have 2 chapters and ~9 level ups to get +6 Spd for interceptor level 2 strats. Or you take Def flaw and just the prologue and 6 level ups to get +6 Def for 11 Def chapter 1 strats (in addition to +3 Spd).

Vaike and LQ are both pretty solid. I decided to pick up Vaike in my run just to show the guy some love. Eclipse is totally right, watch his speed. I don't think the guy can ever get into doubling range of anything because of that speed rut, even with a speed pair up. He wants to go Hero more than Warrior.

I actually completely forgot Vaike can go Hero, whoops. I was planning to have him go Barbarian before promoting to maximize unpromoted EXP gain, though. Is that a good idea or should he go straight to Hero?

I've never played FE where the enemy stats get so ridiculous near the end. I feel like a noob all over again.

Edited by Radiant Dragon