FE4 first playthrough

sunshineYON

So I just got back to playing this. Retrying chapter 2. I got Fury, with the cost of the lives of dozens of innocent children. The Bargain Ring is not even worth getting, it's insane how fast you have to get to the castle. Also fuck everything about this:

IIKV3.png

This game is so frustrating DX

Edited by goopy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, the beginning of the chapter is always a struggle because everyone starts out with 1HPgee_wiz_emoticon.gif

I assume they have 1 hp due to training them in the arena. One but kinda long way to avoid this is save after every few arena fights. So, for example if Sigurd can go up to 5 rounds have him stop on the fifth and save. Then proceed to the next character and have Sigurd try again later in the chapter.

Might be a dumb question but do you have two save files in case you need to restart?

Are you playing on an emulator? If you really end up loving this game, there are at least eight full-length hacks of the game which will give you new characters, weapons, classes, and sometimes even new chapters to play with. It's pretty amazing.

(like that one hack where you pair Ayra and Sigurd and get holy shit children)

... But they're all in japanese, unfortunately. Or chinese. I never figured out the difference between them.

this game is easy what are you talking about just give sigurd ayra's hero sword and rush the shit out of everything

They aren't seasoned drafters like you. >:

Which reminds me I need to finish two drafts, but I keep ragequitting because I suck very very much.

... But they're all in japanese, unfortunately. Or chinese. I never figured out the difference between them.

Oh, that's hardly a bother once you've played the game in English already. None of the menus are radically different, enough items are in Katakana that anyone can make out their name, and TheEnd has resources translated for a handful of them as well (though possibly slightly out of date).

So not only do you already know the placement of all options, you also know how to manage the game without ever reading any text. So all you have to worry about is the new text that gets added--and apart from story (make up your own!), the Kana part has you covered :)

It really is quite a treat if you ever do give it a shot.

Omg fuck this game. Chapter 3 is a nightmare. I'm getting sieged up the ass in the beginning from three directions, I'm sure there is a meticulous way to ease the hordes of enemies, but damn, this game is so challenging. At least comparative to the newer ones, I can't understand anyone who can say this game is easier than any of them.

I assume they have 1 hp due to training them in the arena. One but kinda long way to avoid this is save after every few arena fights. So, for example if Sigurd can go up to 5 rounds have him stop on the fifth and save. Then proceed to the next character and have Sigurd try again later in the chapter.

Might be a dumb question but do you have two save files in case you need to restart?

Good call, and yes, I use multiple saves. No save states though, cause cheating.

EDIT:[spoiler=What is this rubber banding business??]

rbg7c.png

aglAH.png

Edited by goopy

Omg fuck this game. Chapter 3 is a nightmare. I'm getting sieged up the ass in the beginning from three directions, I'm sure there is a meticulous way to ease the hordes of enemies, but damn, this game is so challenging. At least comparative to the newer ones, I can't understand anyone who can say this game is easier than any of them.

Good call, and yes, I use multiple saves. No save states though, cause cheating.

rbg7c.png

aglAH.png

Sigurd should be able to take care of most of the enemies, and you can always give him a little help. Just send off one or two other units to take out those to the side (foot units finally have some use :)). Which newer games are you comparing it to? I'm not that much of an experienced FE player but I just can't see how it would be more difficult than most of the newer games. But hey, we all have different playstyles.

Also for the arena as long as nobody exits the castle the game lets you save as much as you want the first turn, no need for save stats. With the way FE4 saving works there is really no need for savestates unless you keep repeating a turn and just need to save time.

And yeah, roads let your units move farther (except flying units).

Edited by Jediabiwan

You can use foot units to handle the armours in the east, put most of your horsemen onto the army in the west, and your strongest units (probably Sigurd, Cuan, and Lex) face the central army. Don't try to do too much in one round, and don't be afraid to retreat if things are looking bad. If necessary, you can go back as far as your home castle, and put somebody like Levin on it to guard it, and have your cavalry strike, then retreat to the castle. It's not too difficult as long as you're aware of your limits.

Also, you didn't notice the extra movement on roads until chapter 3?

rbg7c.png

aglAH.png

Yeah don't use save states. They're for pussies. Besides you can save after every turn on this game.

If you think that's hard you should try the hard mode hack from the general fe section in the main site. I'm on chapter 1 and it's pretty hard.

I'm starting to really get into this game. It definitely have a lot of flaws, but I'm getting used to the mechanics and it is becoming quite the enjoyable experience. The road thing, I had no idea until you guys pointed it out to me. I always felt something was odd whenever I was on a road, but payed no mind to it, as most units have 8 movements anyway, and it is hard to discern visually 8 from 8+ a little, unless you went out of your way to count. The fact that terrain GAVE you movement was completely new to me.

So far I have these couples, don't know if they are any good, but it just happened, and I don't want to be super anal about making super children on my first playthrough.

Adean x Azel

Midayle x Briggid

Fin x Fury

Ayra x Holyn

Lachesis x Dew

Levin x Sylvia

Dunno who to pair with Tiltyu yet.

Is there any combos that potentially could be worse than getting sub characters?

I would tell you my opinion on who to pair Tiltyu with but I agree you should do it blind. It really is more fun, especially if it's your first time.

Edited by Guy Starwind

FE is one of those games where you WILL miss a lot of content if you don't look at guides etc. you can't really go "back" to get anything you've missed. Though yes, I agree that it is more fun to experiment first, I just want to experience as much content as possible, and not necessarily optimize my playthrough.

I'm on chapter 4 and I am quite upset that Ethlin, Fin and Cuan all left, I presume they aren't coming back ever, baring Fin? They were three of my star players. :((((

It's okay to miss the content. You're never punished for it--the game never becomes impossible. In this way, if you end up lacking something, there's more incentive to go back and explore again, see what other sorts of things you can uncover. Too many people delve into the game with everything as efficiently and great as they can possibly get--jumping right into the maximum, rather than leaving room for further enjoyment.

I missed Ichival my first playthrough because I didn't have Aideen and Briggid talk specifically on Ch 3. I had them talk on Ch 4 expecting Aideen would still be all "lol here's Ichival" but nope, guess Aideen lost it between Ch 3 and 4.

I missed Ichival my first playthrough because I didn't have Aideen and Briggid talk specifically on Ch 3. I had them talk on Ch 4 expecting Aideen would still be all "lol here's Ichival" but nope, guess Aideen lost it between Ch 3 and 4.

Haha, I wasted so many turns on that cross country trip up north to get the Wind Sword and Ichival. Sigurd waited 25ish turns at the castle gates for those cross country runners to meet each other. A general annoyance in this game. Rescue would have made so much sense in this game.

As for what I missed... Hero's Axe for Lex T_T

Edited by goopy

I'm on chapter 4 and I am quite upset that Ethlin, Fin and Cuan all left, I presume they aren't coming back ever, baring Fin? They were three of my star players. :((((

That hit me hard too.

Len* allstars forever.

Is there any penalty for letting the enemy seizing a castle you already seized? In chapter 4, Pamela "recaptured" aka turned Thove into rubble before I could get to her, then nothing happened, no gameover, no indication that I had to recapture it, as if there were no consequences.

I believe you get more money at the start of the next chapter depending on the castles under your control. So, because the castle was turned into rubble you might only loose money. However, that's only a guess.