Fire Emblem: The Medallion of Hope

Klokinator

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these would you prefer?

• Single chapters, downloadable as seperate projects. You can download each chapter individually and the filesize will be relatively small. As a bonus you get the awesome custom title screens made by mewiyev for each chapter.
    • All the chapters inside one large game file. This will make one huge file instead of a bunch of smaller files, but will possibly be more convenient. The chapters will not link, they will still be episodic. There will only be one title screen.

EDIT: POLL ADDED. SEE THIS POST FOR DETAILS.

Fire Emblem: The Medallion of Hope

ev3rs7.png

Welcome to the long awaited topic for my upcoming game, The Medallion of Hope! This game is loosely based on my ragefest submission, Generic War, and features many of the same characters, and a similar plot-line, except far more expanded and fleshed out. I actually have to extend a welcome to the newest scripter on the Phoenix Saga team, Laureola, who is helping out with a lot of features that'll help put this game right over the top in terms of presentation and quality. Some things, like having sounds in-conversation and doing nifty things in conversations are programmed by him and will be quite new to Fire Emblem in general, it'll be exciting to implement!

So what does this game have to offer? First, it is not a romhack, it is made with the FEXP engine made by Bwdyeti. As such, it does not have the limitations a romhack has, but it does run a bit slower than a romhack would. If you have a decent computer though, it'll probably run at full speed, so please ditch Windows 98 right the fuck now.

Story:

The story of this game is based loosely on real events that have happened across the various FE boards over the last 9 years. I joined FEW in 2003 and I've been a seriously active member on multiple FE forums for the duration of that time. I've witnessed and been a part of some/most of the big events in the FE fandom over all these years, so the story of this game is something of a parody of those events. Many characters are based on real people, using their personal mugs (Like Cedar Nyx or Arch) and staying pretty true to their personalities as observed on the forums, while others have personalities that diverge far more for comedic purposes. (For example, my character is a Nazi who speaks a weird "German" garble.) That being said, I think this story won't offend anyone (intentionally) and it'll be hilarious for all to see.

The story will come in episodes, each having its own subtitle. Each episode will not continue to the next, but will be in a slightly different place at a slightly or very different time frame from the previous. Each will tell its own story, have its own main characters, and is basically at my will what I want to do from one episode to the next. Also, there will be a different title screen for each one, to add to their uniqueness :)

So anyway, here goes.

-------------------------------------------------

The year is 2011. Archibald, the ruler of the FEUniverse, as appointed by the holy reigning gods of FEdom, Intel and Sidden, has noticed a most disturbing trend; portals from other dimensions have opened, allowing characters from other games to enter into the FEWorld and wreak havoc upon his citizenry. To be honest, he really doesn't care about these things, but his real estate agent forewarned him that destruction of his universe could cost him his man-card, so he decides to be cautious, just in case.

Traveling down to the FEWorld, Archibald discovers that a band of thieves have stolen the sacred FEXP Medallion, which is the only thing sealing the dimensions of FE from the other game universes. Without the medallion holding the dimensions together, other characters may come and go as they please. With this lack of imbalance in a universe designed to be perfectly strategically balanced, Archibald needs to seal the dimensions so that the other characters will disappear. However, the thieves have amassed a sizable army, and the battle will not be an easy one.

Meanwhile, with the new contenders entering their world, some citizens have formed their own pockets of resistance against the foreign invaders, while some choose to side with them. Serenes Forest, the largest military in the FEWorld, has taken note of this and dispatches their most elite romhacker teams to destroy the threats to their order. Team Dream, Team Blaze, and Team Overtroll. These elite hacker groups must use their technological prowess to hunt down the thieves of the medallion and stop the threats from the foreign invaders as well.

The Shrine of Seals, a land devoted to a secret cult of Brom, the man whose black magic destroys the souls of anyone who looks into his eyes. This land is dying, and all the people in this land have been reduced to meme speak and lolcats in their effort to please their god, but some brave souls take the risk and leave their land, looking for brighter horizons.

In addition, a band of hated people arises from the ashes of the FESStering underbelly of the FEWorld. Protected by the light of the bishops that try to shield them from those that would murder them, two groups arise... the SSS and the CCC, their intentions will only be known as time progresses...

The world is in chaos, violence will soon erupt... how will it all play out?

The story, since it's based on real people and real events, needs real people to be in it! Unlike forum games though, I require very little from you if you want to be in this game, and submitting more content won't guarantee a spot anyway, as I base how much facetime and dialogue a character gets by these following points:

-Creativity of the mug. The weirder it is, the more I like it.

-Frames for the mug. Without frames, I won't accept it.

-Popularity of the member in question, and how well I know them. I can't really write dialogue for someone I've never heard of, right?

So, submit a mug, with frames in FEditor format, and if the mug is like a custom character with their own hugely customed battle animation I can even add that too.

For more details on submitting a mug to this game, you can refer to the slightly older sister topic on Shrine of Seals.

SO... you wanna be ingame eh? Well some things of note. Unlike the old way forum games are run, you will contribute very little to your character, and the odds are extremely high that anything you want your character to be, I'll actively avoid using. This is due to both me liking to use a surprise factor, and also because I despise being told what to do :B

SO, all you do is post a mug here, with eye and mouth frames, and a name for the character, and perhaps a personality description if you feel bold (Don't worry, I can come up with hundreds off the top of my head so if you can't think of anything witty, leave it to me), but, you will not be choosing stats, equipment, or anything else of that sort. You can state a preference for things like starting class, and even suggest a battle theme, but I am by no means obligated to use it, and I won't if it's lame, boring, or unfunny in any way. As this game is intended to be a comedy game filled with many funny moments, I will make you a member of the SSS if I feel it lends an air of humor to the character, or I will make them a main character if I feel they would be better suited that way, it's really nothing personal.

Some tips though, if you want to get a good spot ingame.

-Make your mug unique looking! Wings, halos, horns, cat ears, scars, hats, hands in the portrait (Like Anna), tricky trim, making yourself into a robot or a weird animal or anything not strictly human, these things are GOOD and I highly encourage you to be creative. This game is one of the few aside from the zombie hack that encourages weird characters, and I would prefer writing dialogue for odd characters more than I would generic characters. If your character is boring, their dialogue will be boring. Consider yourself warned.

-If you don't want to be a member of the SSS, you need to make sure that before I see the mug the first time, it can pass by a senior spriter as a "clean" sprite. Once I set my eyes on a crappy splice that you've submitted and I get a personality in my head, it's hard or nearly impossible for me to forget that first impression.

-If you want to, you could wear your mug as your avatar around the forum. This way, when the game comes out, people will see you ingame, then see you on the forums and be like "Oh, that guy!"

-If you feel like it, I will accept custom map sprites and battle animations, but these take a lot of time to add (Far less than romhacking, but the point stands) and I'll probably have a huge backlog to add for the first few months. Also, slight edits of existing classes will probably be ignored.

-Come on, really? Don't submit ANOTHER sword user, we need MAGI! Mages, clerics, mage knights, shamans, wizards, acolytes, we NEED those! Axe users too a little bit, and even a few lance users, but the fact is that if you give me what is clearly a swordmaster and you say "Make me a swordmaster!" but I don't have room ingame for yet another swordmaster, I will first shoot a quizzical look at you (I don't know how you'd see it with my screen blocking the view, but the point is moot) and then I will make you a mage, because srsly.

-If you don't know how FEXP format works, just make your mug in FEditor format and I or my team members will reformat it, it's easy for us.

-Do not forget to include mouth and eye frames! Nothing will make me decline you faster than if you forget the frames.

That's it! Only 3,000 words later and now you hopefully understand exactly what is required to be a part of this forum game! :D Who am I kidding, you probably said "fuck that" and just spliced together a shitty Sain splice with no frames, fuck me blind.

If you want to submit a battle animation, please do so via PM. I will only accept battle animations for wacky and weird characters (Like how Guile has his Street Fighter 2 animations ripped from the SNES sheets) and the sheet must be a full sheet, not 6-10 frames, but somewhere in the range of 30-100+ if possible. A recolor of a swordmaster with a bandana is not acceptable, because animating is somewhat tedious and I'd rather not waste time animating it if it's not really cool as fuck and/or original.

So, feature list for this game?

-999 character slots for ingame characters, with unlimited room for generics and unlimited room in the Faces folder just to use a character face in dialogue. Each mug has unlimited numbers of emotions available too, so your character can grimace, smile, cry, get angry, and any other emotion you choose to add! I can add as many people in this game as the need arises, so don't feel shy about joining!

-255 items and weapons total? PFFFFFFFT! We have room for 999 weapons and items EACH!

-255 classes in total? PFFFT! We have room for 999 also!

-Huge amounts of room for custom animations, 3,000 slots in total, only 20% of which are even used up. This affords room for tons of custom animations for player units!

-No color or size limits on just about anything! Tired of that hackbox and you want to submit a huge awesome mug? Well, I probably won't accept it for graphical consistency's sake, but I COULD accept it if I liked it, and that's my point.

-No need to compress data, such as music and graphics, just to get it ingame! While the filesize for this game will be significantly larger than the average romhack (50 MB's is a conservative estimate for just one chapter...) the quality of everything ingame will be dramatically better.

-Ability to customize literally anything ingame if need be! I can adjust how the entire engine works, I can adjust how it reads text, anything! Unlike a rom, the engine is easily modified allowing for many new ways of approaching making a game.

-Built-in Skill system allows for incredible individualization of each character, so no matter how many we add your character can have a unique skill nobody else posesses! If you know how to script and want your character to have their own skill, I might oblige you on this issue.

And as for screenshots, there are none currently. I do have something of a character list of those whose mugs I already have and will be ingame, but not on me right now. I have a good idea of many different things I want to add, and I actually have like a mug request I'd love to get filled if anyone is interested. I need a mug for Samus Aran really badly, dunno if anyone is interested in filling it. It'll make the planned intro pretty awesome if I can get a good one going.

Also, a list of people who I'd love to be in this game, so if they could submit a mug that'd be epicsauce and you can only help the quality go up and the humor as well! :awesome:

[spoiler=Please submit a mug so we can make sweet gaming love!]

Arch (I know what your mug is but I don't know if I have permission to use it, and I also don't have frames.)

Yeti (I think PK got your mug already, but I can't remember)

Myke (I actually have an awesome mug I'd rather use for you, but I still need permission for you to be ingame.)

Blazer (C'mooooooooooooon :D)

Ryrumeli

Kitty of Time/Dancer A (Did you submit one already?)

Darkblade

Brom (DOES ANYONE HAVE A LEGIT BROM MUG PLEASE DEAR GOD)

Phoenix (You're got tons of awesome mugs to pick from so choose one that looks super awesome, man.)

SqRtOfPi (Same as Phoenix.)

Bonestorm99 (See above.)

Celice

General Banzai

Aura Wolf

Feaw (You submitted one already I think...?)

Lord Glenn

Nintenlord

Hithere1 (I'm pretty sure you submitted one)

Ephraim225

Any other ragefest contestants of note

Anyone left over on the DoF team

Most others remaining on the OVERTROLL team

MK404 (and team?)

Anyone from TeB

Anyone from any other FE fansite.

Anyone else who wants to be in it and makes a mug for themselves.

Even if your name isn't up there, I probably know you and I'll add you as long as your mug has frames.

EDITS: Adding character bios, a few at least.

[spoiler=Character Bios]

Miscellaneous Members:

Seph1212

A freelancer from the Shrine of Seals, he realizes his land is a dead and decrepit pit of festering nonsense and leaves, hoping for brighter waters. Tired of the sick and unhealthy members of his land, he heads for Serenes Forest, a bright and beautiful forest where many people live in the trees and sing ridiculously happy songs all day long. It's basically a land of elves, except no elves actually live there.

Seph is a canadian with no sexual standards, he will bang anything that moves. To top it off, he'll do anything for the slightest amount of money, no matter how dangerous to his life, because he's secretly immortal, and also because he has no standards. His bio is based off the updated Generic War submission I sent to Seph1212 to LP, and his dialogue will be similar to the dialogue in the Sephmode version. Believe it!

Shadow/Chaos

ReySerious.pngFALCONFINISHED.png

Shadow is a young Otaku from the Shrine of Seals, who goes traveling with his good friends Seph and Rey to escape the dementia of those stuck in the Shrine. Shadow speaks a terrible tangled version of Japanese and travels with his beloved wife, Ninian. However, his wife has a curse on herself that forces everyone to see her as an ugly decrepit old woman except her one true lover. When someone comments on how ugly Ninian is, Shadow flies into a rage and morphs into his super form, Chaos.

Unlike Shadow, Chaos is an entirely self absorbed godlike entity whose powers are over 9000. In his super form he loses all control and only seeks to kill those who insult his wife, and then he just kills more people for the fuck of it. In his super form he speaks english, but he screams everything he says and (hopefully, if I can implement it) all his text is in an angry bolded font too.

Also, Ninian translates everything Shadow says, much like I detailed in this post. There's your example of what to expect for Shadow's dialogue :3

More characters as I have time to add them.

Edited by Klokitty

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just recommended, I can't force you to do diddly xD

Edit: Fixed that for ya. The wording was admittedly pretty terrible. Not as terrible as I am though...!

Edited by Adolf Klokler

i would recommend that you keep a list of all classes submitted and how many thatcan be shown in this topic so people know what is needed in terms of class balance to prevent an endless group of swords men

Edited by Cyron

I don't need to sign up again, right?

If I do, um... the one I posted in that other thread is still valid, and I cbf to copypaste.

If you Splice something horribly he will use that, and don't be like other random people that can't make sprites and argue to be a main character.

i would recommend that you keep a list of all classes submitted and how many thatcan be shown in this topic so people know what is needed in terms of class balance to prevent an endless group of swords men

I would do that, but I haven't started work on the game yet, I don't have my laptop available to reference, and I don't have access to the team dropbox either.

I don't need to sign up again, right?

If I do, um... the one I posted in that other thread is still valid, and I cbf to copypaste.

Nope, I got your mug and stuff. I'll be adding an "already in" list once I have some time available, and also character bios I've written.

Too bad I don't know how to make mugs...

If you Splice something horribly he will use that, and don't be like other random people that can't make sprites and argue to be a main character.

Pretty much this. If the mug comes out deformed looking, it becomes enrolled in the SSS (Shitty Splice Sorority) or CCC (Crappy Custom Coalition) automatically. If it's a clean, but very boring splice/custom, as in looks completely unremarkable, there's always room for filler characters!

Some ideas of mine for this custom cool game?

1) Female-exlusive fighting classes, like Huntresses, Piratesses, Dark Pegasus Riders, Battle Clerics.

2) A character that can have a discussion with anybody each chapter (no support, just discussion) at precise turns in all the maps (like hidden discussion) to flesh out all the characters - for non-ranked playthroughs.

3) Each promoted class has some unique gimmick.

4) There's a class with no-combat skills or supportive skill wathever, just gives people that are 3 square away massive boosts, but this class is very fragile to compensate.

5) More weapons that are not affected by the triangle of weapons.

6) Each character is diverse to the other so everybody is worth using

7) Berserker class has a low random chances to go Berserk during fights and there their attack is boosted but they attack both allies and enemies that are in range

8) Fatigue system of coursse

9) Musics from many different videogames (of course we write about fitting music to the genre)

10) Cameos of characters from FE canon universe that are playable or not?

11) World map withouth random encounters but missions that you can start in taverns for gils (a la Final Fantasy Tactic)?

12) Achievements with proper rewards?

13) Various difficulty settings?

14) Fe4 style mode (BIG ASSED MAPS) and FE normal mode (Same maps divided in chapters)?

15) Final Boss that you can fight mid-game in a watered down version put there to mock you up?

16) Multiple endings related to ranks, people survived, precise unit survived etc...?

17) Development between characters in the sanctuary they stay between maps?

18) Yaoi and Yuri, Shota and Loli (nothing explicit of course) too?

19) Unique reclassing for each character?

20) Map animations that properly show what the hell is happening in map-battle?

Edited by marcus90

I'd highly recommend doing the SSS or CCC if you are not some well known member of the hacking community because you will only end up as some filler with no fun, versus having a horrifying mug that gets placed with a sick animation and has the bio of "A robotic creature that lives off of the tears of children"

lol most of the Dream of Five team is in Team OVERTROLL :P

Uhhh, we talked about my character, right? Also, I think AstraLunaSol said he'd make me a personal mug (but probably more summer time, I think?) so I'll send you that if/when he does :3

Some ideas of mine for this custom cool game?

1) Female-exlusive fighting classes, like Huntresses, Piratesses, Dark Pegasus Riders, Battle Clerics.

2) A character that can have a discussion with anybody each chapter (no support, just discussion) at precise turns in all the maps (like hidden discussion) to flesh out all the characters - for non-ranked playthroughs.

3) Each promoted class has some unique gimmick.

4) There's a class with no-combat skills or supportive skill wathever, just gives people that are 3 square away massive boosts, but this class is very fragile to compensate.

5) More weapons that are not affected by the triangle of weapons.

6) Each character is diverse to the other so everybody is worth using

7) Berserker class has a low random chances to go Berserk during fights and there their attack is boosted but they attack both allies and enemies that are in range

8) Fatigue system of coursse

9) Musics from many different videogames (of course we write about fitting music to the genre)

10) Cameos of characters from FE canon universe that are playable or not?

11) World map withouth random encounters but missions that you can start in taverns for gils (a la Final Fantasy Tactic)?

12) Achievements with proper rewards?

13) Various difficulty settings?

14) Fe4 style mode (BIG ASSED MAPS) and FE normal mode (Same maps divided in chapters)?

15) Final Boss that you can fight mid-game in a watered down version put there to mock you up?

16) Multiple endings related to ranks, people survived, precise unit survived etc...?

17) Development between characters in the sanctuary they stay between maps?

18) Yaoi and Yuri, Shota and Loli (nothing explicit of course) too?

19) Unique reclassing for each character?

20) Map animations that properly show what the hell is happening in map-battle?

Interesting ideas.

1. No, sorry.

2. I was actually planning a namable character that serves as the "player" character of sorts, so possibly a yes to this.

3. They already do with the skills xD

4. No.

5. Most likely, yes. Characters like Zero and Guile will have non-triangle weapons.

6. Dotdotdot

7. If I added the berserker ingame (The animations and sprites and data aren't in FEXP yet) this might be doable.

8. Or, of course not.

9. It's me making this, so this is probably gonna happen.

10. ... ... ... ... Maaaaaaaaaybe :3

11. I doubt this very much.

12. Fuck. Achievements.

13. Duh.

14. Not doable in FEXP due to speed limitations, and also that's tedious and boring. I hate FE4 for that very reason.

15. wat.

16. Doable, I might be too lazy though.

17. It's an episodic game and all the data of the previous episode is deleted, this isn't doable. Otherwise the filesize for the whole game will be in the 200+ MB range if I did that.

18. what the fuck man

19. No. Just... no.

20. This makes no sense.

I'd highly recommend doing the SSS or CCC if you are not some well known member of the hacking community because you will only end up as some filler with no fun, versus having a horrifying mug that gets placed with a sick animation and has the bio of "A robotic creature that lives off of the tears of children"

I'm considering adding a chapter just for the more generic characters too, we'll see how that works. I don't like planning too far ahead. If I did do said chapter, generic units might get more facetime than normal.

lol most of the Dream of Five team is in Team OVERTROLL :P

Uhhh, we talked about my character, right? Also, I think AstraLunaSol said he'd make me a personal mug (but probably more summer time, I think?) so I'll send you that if/when he does :3

Oh, I thought that princely mug fit you nicely though lol.

a) i'm in this right

b) the dof team is largely just a subset of overtroll these days

You're in this, buddy boy.

With animations played properly, I mean this: during the fights between units in the map and not into the transiction that show you the full animation, it would be nice to animate the little units that you move so they attack properly with their weapons, a la FE3-4-5

Interesting ideas.

Oh, I thought that princely mug fit you nicely though lol.

It kinda does but Astra's my favourite spriter and I'd rather have a custom, specially from him :P

With animations played properly, I mean this: during the fights between units in the map and not into the transiction that show you the full animation, it would be nice to animate the little units that you move so they attack properly with their weapons, a la FE3-4-5

Only if it bothers you so much that you want to script and sprite everything yourself. I doubt it bugs anyone else.