Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 22: The Hunt

Phoenix

As she'd been running toward Arrin a sudden cry of "Tessa!" came from somewhere within the ranks of the templars. She simply hadn't the time to deal with it at the moment, but it definitely caused confusion and threatened to split her attention. The troubadour made sure to note the fact, and to look into it further after her immediate business was finished.

When she'd grabbed the thunder mage, he had turned to face her. With fire in his eyes and radiating killing intent, Tessa was a little unnerved. This was a side of the mage she'd never been on the receiving end of before; she hadn't even known he had it in him. Is this what it is like then, when they lose control? Is the weapon responsible, or was this just the shock of hearing of his teacher's murder? Would Damian too look this way if he turned on her in a berserk rage? In the brief moment it took for those thoughts to flit through her mind, the situation changed, as she watched the recognition dawning on his face, and felt the malice melting away. No longer the target of a withering gaze, it seemed her appearance had apparently had a calming effect on the mage.

As he was mumbling an apology, she nodded, squeezed a reassurance, and let her mind slip back to just before. Who would it be that could be calling for her, and why? Looking around, she noted Kelas returning again out of the corner of her eye. The nomad seemed to want to simply take her brother and run, and while in a way she could understand that sentiment, the troubadour knew full well that she was missing the point. Did the woman realize how important this was to Arrin? Then she caught sight of the source, close ahead in fact. Hanging there slightly in the shadow of the lead templar was a figure she knew well and recognized. Kamilla had come along with the group of reformists, for some reason or another.

"Kamilla?! What are you... why have. I don't understand," she spluttered. "Didn't we talk about how the Crimson Weapons can't be as pivotal as you thought they were? The Lord and the Lady have conflicted many times in the past, and they are but recent creations, made by the hand of man no less. I guess... maybe you... didn't remember that conversation though, now that I think of it it was... before." As she realized that all of the important conversations they'd had regarding theology were prior to the accident with Morgan's magic, she started to trail off.

"You're seriously going to kill them all?" she echoed, in disbelief, directing this now to the both of them, the priestess, and her superiour, now brandishing a flashing blade.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conflict

Viveka: (Tristan's going to help out again? Well hopefully it won't be as hard on him this time ... then again the first batch were random shadow coons. Now we're fighting templars ... and some girl the group can't seem to get rid of. Ugh.) Okay just stay focused and keep your eyes on their movements.

Kamilla: I don't ... I don't remember, I'm sorry, but I know that you're my friend and I don't want you to get hurt, or worse. I believe what Althea says about the crimson weapons is true. Look at all the destruction and mayhem they've brought. Sooner or later innocent people are going to get hurt.

She wasn't quite stern, in fact she was bordering on stutters.

Kamilla: Tessa haven't you seen how crazy these people are and what they're capable of? (Do you know what they'll do if they manage to beat us?) I ... can't let Althea or the others lose. I have to help them.) I don't want you to get caught up in this. Won't you just stand aside? Please? They ... can't be worth this.

"End my suffering swiftly? You're more than ten years too late for that." Esphyr's response, muttered quietly under her breath, was something she was sure would not be heard by the crazed paladin. No... Not crazed...

"You may be right miss paladin. These weapons are evil, through and through. I don't know why they were made, or what design they were intended for, but they have brought me little more than foul luck. As a child, devoted to the staff, this weapon struck down those who were close to me. It has kept me on this path of mercenary-hood, and I hate it with every fiber of my being. Were there some way to rid myself of it's stench, I would do so in a heartbeat. If a spirit or demon were to come and ask me for it, I would gladly rid myself of it. Demon, bandit, monster, and demonic dragons of undeath have followed in my wake, trying to kill me for this however. Though I hate this with every bit of my being, I will not let this weapon claim my life! I will fight against it, and against any whom would seek to end my life to claim it so that I may defy this weapon to the end! Come and assault us! I will defy this weapon to the best of my being!"

"Very well, I see that you will not stand aside. May the Goddess have mercy on your souls." Althea said, wading into the fray. A protective bubble formed around her, caused by Kamilla's recitation.

Boss Henry: HP 15 Str 5 Skl 6 Spd 6 EVD 6 DEF 7 RES 3 Skills: Heroic Stand, Wrath, Resolve, and Guardian

Boss Althea: HP 15 Str 7 Skl 6 Spd 7 Evd 9 Def 7 (4+3) Res 6 Skills: Light Brand (hits the weaker stat of Def/Res whenever attacking) and Sol(heal 7 HP when rolling a 5 on the skill die)

Miniboss Kamilla: HP 9 Mag 3 Skl 3 Spd 6 Evd: 8 Def 1 Res 4 (being Guarded by Henry)

Miniboss Ronald: HP 9 Mt 3 Hit 3 Spd 4 Evd 4 Def 1 Res 6 Skills: Overcast

Sword Cav A B: HP 12 Str 3 Skl 5 Spd 4 Evd 4 Def 4 Res 2

Lance Cav A B C D: HP 12 Str 4 Skl 4 Spd 4 Evd 4 Def 4 Res 2

Axe Cav A B C D: HP 12 Str 5 Skl 3 Spd 4 Evd 4 Def 4 Res 2

Raemond is captured upon defeat. Henry retreats upon defeat.

OOC: Stop every 5 posts for Enemy Phase. Player Phase starts now.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Tessa clenched her teeth a little, trying to soften the disappointment. Kamilla wasn't budging at all, she wholeheartedly bought into the reformist creed after all.

"Kamilla... I won't try to make excuses for some of the events that a cavalcade of errors and missteps have produced on occasion. And I know you have personal reasons to fear and distrust some of the members. Morgan, Isotov, Helios I could understand your arguements against. Not agree, definitely not agree, but I could see where you'd be coming from. Yes, sometimes innocent people have gotten hurt, and believe me, I was furious over those times too. But none of them deserve to die.

Furthermore, I don't think you can even begin to come up with a valid reason to fear or distrust some others of the wielders. Arrin, for example. Which of the 'destruction and mayhem' was he responsible for? What innocents do you think he's going to kill? He wouldn't h-hurt a fly," she stumbled momentarily on her wording here, recollecting his appearance of just moments ago, and added in the necessary qualifier, "Not unless it had bit or stung him first, and by the Lady, what you've just admitted to would certainly push anyone's past that point." She'd turned and said this last bit directly to Althea, extending her arm even and pointing directly at her.

"Kamilla... I can't just stand aside and let you kill my friends, my family, the people that I've grown to love. But you don't have to worry for your own safety either. I won't let anyone hurt you either. So if it turns out it must come to blows, please, stay near enough I can protect you."

Luc Altair

It would seem it was time for battle. Luc closed his eyes, whispered quietly for forgiveness were he to err and charged into combat. Some shield protected the leader, so Luc changed targets and focused upon one of the lance cavaliers. The two horsemen exchanged blows and Luc felt for certain his was the more damaging.

Luc has 12/12 HP.

Luc attacks Lance Cav A.

(Luc rolls 1,5,2)

Luc attacks and deals 6 damage. ((5Roll+4Str+1WTA-4Def) = 6 Damage.)

Lance Cav A has 6 HP.

(Lance Cav A rolls 6,2,5)

Lance Cav A deals 1 damage. ((2Roll+4Str-5Def) = 1 Damage)

Luc has 11/12 HP.

(Lance Cav A has 6/12 HP.)

Luc Gains 5 EXP.

Edited by Script

Yelling and growling like a madman, Alferis charged towards Athena, aiming to cut off her head when he was confronted with a lance knight. Swinging hard, Alferis cut deep into the lance knight but the force of the lance blow at Alf's shoulder dislocated it.

"Aggh! Son of a-! My shoulder! I'll rip your face off!" He screeched, his voice like when he confronted Iso and Kelas, the mask falling off.

Link to Combat: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792002/

Alferis (3,5,4) Hit! 5+6+1-4= 8 damage! Lance Knight A 4/12

Lance Knight B (6,5,1) Hit! 5+4-4= 4 damage! Alferis 7/12

Alferis gains 5 exp!

Meanwhile Reika backflipped and aimed a strike at an axe knight's jungular vein, but the armor protected him somewhat. She dodged the axe easily, stabbing him in the chest.

Link to Combat: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792012/

Reika (6,5,3) Hit! 5+3-1-4= 3 damage! Axe Knight A 9/12

Axe Knight A (4,2,1) Miss!

Reika (5,3,3) Hit! Critical! 3+3-1-4= 1x2= 2 damage! Axe Knight A 7/12

Reika gains 5 exp!

Edited by Red Magister

We Fight

Irina rolls 1,1,3

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2791993/

HIT 6 vs Evade 4 = HIT

DMG 9 vs DEF 5 = -4hp

Cav rolls 6,1,1

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792000/

HIT 11 vs Evade 5 = CRITICAL HIT

DMG 4 vs DEF 8 = -1hp

Irina hp 17/18

Cav hp 9/12

Viveka rolls 6,2,4

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792008/

HIT 10 vs Evade 4 = HIT

DMG 4 vs DEF 4 = Tink

Cav rolls 2,5,3

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792015/

HIT 6 vs Evade 8 = MISS

Viv hp 12/12

Axe Cav B hp 12/12

Exp:

Irina: +5

Viveka: +5

Strike

It was pretty evident by that point that an attack was to occur, and Derek struck just after Luc did, severely injuring the axe cavalier on his first past. Performing a quick u-turn, the sword cavalier struck his foe down.

[spoiler=Rolls]6,6,3 = Hit! 11-4 = 7 points of damage!

1,5,2 = Miss.

Charge!

4,6,2 = Hit! 11-4 = 7 Points of Damage! Axe Cav C is defeated!

Derek gains 10 EXP.

12/12

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2791995/

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2791999/

Alex dismounted just in time to stab a sword cavalier, and receive a scratch on her armor in return.

[spoiler=Roll]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792016/

Alex attacks Sword cav B!

3,1,6 = Hit! 6-4 = 2 points of damage!

4,2,1 = hit! 5-5 = no damage!

Alex gains 5 EXP

Sword Cav 10/12 HP

Alex 9/9 HP

Edited by Snike

Seeing that hostilities had broken out, Helios had no other real options. Quickly riding over to the carriage, he yelled for Fargo. "Watch over Elle, for me, keep her safe! I need to do my part out there on the field."

Turning to the sage directly, he said firmly, "I'll be right back, this won't take long. Stay here by the carriage, and out of harms way for now."

Her former status as an enemy had meant she had been searched and disarmed, and the group hadn't given her back a tome of any sort, leaving her defenseless and vulnerable. He hated to have to do this, but the wind mage knew full well that when engaging the enemy things could get ugly quickly, and there was no safe way to attack without fear of retaliation.

OOC: Laziness compels me to post rolls first, editing in damage.

Heinz scowled again when yet another band of attackers approached them, calling for the party to put down their weapons. So they want to destroy the Crimson Weapons? "I'd lose my job if you reformists had your way," he said dryly, jumping off Ralf and attacking a nearby sword cavalier. The knife bounced off the cavalier's armor harmlessly, (+0 dmg). His second shot landed in almost the exact spot, finally piercing his armor (+1 dmg). The cavalier swung back, and Heinz rolled on the ground, dodging easily. (+0 dmg). Link

Conrad frowned when the Reformists appeared, summoning Earthshaker. "I will not let your misled goals get in the way of achieving this group's purpose," he declared quietly, charging at the nearest lance cavalier (+6 dmg). The enemy cavalier struck the axe knight directly, his weapon glancing off Conrad's armor(+0 dmg). Link

Heinz: 9/9 HP Vantage activated (+5 exp)

Sword Cav B: 11/12 HP

Conrad: 14/15 HP Daunt activated, CW sap (+5 exp)

Lance Cav C: 6/12 HP

Edited by the_whistler

Althea raised her weapon and attmepted to strike down the nearest opponent- which was the wind mage.

(3,2,6)= Hit 9-4= 5 damage

(3,6,4)= 13-4= 9 damage. Helios KO'd.

She slashed across his chest, hopefully killing him. She wheeled around to face more of the wielders...

Henry wandered away from Kamilla and stood his ground against the oncoming opponents. A protective barrier formed around him as well.

New stats:

13 HP Str 7 Skl 8 Spd 6 EVD 7 DEF 7 RES 6

Kamilla no longer guarded.

Edited by -Cynthia-

We Fight Still

Viv attacks Kamilla

Viv rolls 2,6,3

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792048/

HIT 7 vs Evade 8 = MISS

Irina attacks that guy she didn't kill last time

Irina rolls 5,5,3

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792052/

HIT 11 vs Evade 4 = HIT

DMG 13 vs DEF 4 = -9 hp KO

Viv hp 12/12

Irina hp 17/18

Exp:

Viv: +7

Irina: +10

Luc Altair

Luc swung around for a second pass at the same cavalier. This time he held back his strength in order to achieve a knockout. He failed. Unfortuatly this time to Templar wasn't playing, and struck with great force at Luc. The Count managed to tilt and take most of the damage through his armoring, but it still hurt.

Luc has 11/12 HP.

Luc attacks Lance Cav A.

(Luc rolls 4,1,3)

Luc attacks and deals 2 damage. ((1Roll+4Str+1WTA-4Def) = 2 Damage.)

Lance Cav A has 4 HP.

(Lance Cav A rolls 5,5,2)

Lance Cav A deals 4 damage. ((5Roll+4Str-5Def) = 4 Damage)

Luc has 7/12 HP.

(Lance Cav A has 4/12 HP.)

Luc Gains 5 EXP.

Edited by Script

The combat had started swirling around Tessa. Trying to keep both near to Arrin, and to Kamilla, yet still manage to find someone to heal was proving a difficult task, but Luc was riding nearby. "Count Altair, hold still a moment!" she called out, before applying her staff.

Luc +6, 12/12

Just as her attention had left her targets for protection, Viveka had swooped in, trying to take out her reformist friend.

Shouting angrily, she tried to fend her off. "Captain Viveka! No! I won't let you do this."

Wishing again in vain that she had managed to collect Trevor from Morgan before things had descended into this mess, she called to Arrin, "Either follow me, or stay with your sister, I need to go save Kamilla."

Edited by Balcerzak

Teamwork

Feeling a bit gutsy, Alex decided to strike an axe cav. It was not a wise decision, as the templar broke her right arm with a swing of his axe. Striking bacl with all her might, the soldier nearly slew the man, only to watch as Derek rushed in and smote her target down, saving the Comet.

"Thanks," she breathed.

"No problem."

[spoiler=Rolls]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792057/

6,6,3 = Hit! 10-4 = 6 points of damage!

6,5,2 = Hit! 11-5 = 6 points of damage! Resolve activates!

4,2,5 = Hit! 8-4 = 4 points of damage!

Alex 3/9 HP

Axe Cav D 2/12 HP

Alex gains 5 EXP

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792054/

1,1,1 = Critical! 2(6-4) = 4 points of Damage! Axe cav D is down!

Derek gains 10 EXP

12/12

Bringing his axe down only using one hand, Alferis bashed in the man's skull, the cavalier falling off his horse dead.

"Heeheheeheheheheheheh,"

Link to Combat: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792060/

Alferis (4,4,2) Hit! 4+6+1-4= 7 damage! Lance Knight B 0/12

Alferis gains 10 exp!

Reika continued with her knight, flipping and slashing him, not doing much but frustrating him to no end!

Link To Combat: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792073/

Reika (3,3,5) Hit! 3+3-1-4= 1 damage! Axe Knight 6/12

Axe Knight (2,1,6) Miss!

Reika (2,3,1) Hit! 3+3-1-4= 1 damage! Axe Knight 5/12

Reika gains 5 exp!

Edited by Red Magister

"Kamilla's here?!" Arrin exclaimed incredulously as the girl appeared and started talking to Tessa. "Kamilla, why are you--" He cut himself off as Tessa tried to reason with Kamilla, and he realized it was impossible. "We don't want to hurt you, Kamilla! Why are you doing this?" As combat broke out he realized that he could protect Tessa, or Kamilla, but likely not both. He grimaced, and set to watching Tessa, who was apparently trying to help Kamilla herself. He couldn't bring himself to attack yet, not with what he'd just nearly done. He trailed behind Tessa, dismissing Daranau and bringing out his normal tome.

Kelas sighed as Kamilla appeared; given the group's treatment of her, this had been inevitable. She didn't really want to kill her, or any of these-- she owed her life to the churches, regardless of denomination-- but she didn't owe them Arrin's life, too. She paused, watching Arrin and Tessa, ready to provide cover if either was attacked.

No combat atm, but officially activating Kelas' Guardian, targeting Arrin.

Edited by Kiryn

Althea brandished her sword and sent beams of light at the enemy general.

(6,3,2)= Hit= 10-9= 9 damage

(5,3,2)= Hit 12-9= 9 damage. Conrad KO'd.

Henry charged towards the shaman.

(1,4,2)= Hit. 4+7= 11-4= 7 damage Morgan 5/12

Henry 11/15 (Heroic Stand continues)

Kamilla protected the monk, who was not fighting at the moment. Raemond +3 Def

Edited by -Cynthia-

Luc Altair

"Thank you Tessa," Luc replied as the girl healed him. It was excellent she had spotted him. Luc doubted he could take a hit stronger than that and still go on. Luc turned his attention back to the Lance Knight once again. This had to be the final cnflict between the two. Any longer and even a light hit might kill the other man, or have one of Luc's allies attempt it. With conviction Luc charged back into the fray. He found his target and struck--with more force than intended, and for whatever reason his opponent took the attack in a poor position and Luc send him hurtling to the ground. "Dammit!" he yelled and circled around. It was possible that was a killing blow. But, he couldn't afford to check the man now. Even if the templars attacks weren't as ferocious as Luc would believe it was still a risk.

Luc has 12/12 HP.

Luc attacks Lance Cav A.

(Luc rolls 4,4,4)

Luc attacks and deals 10 damage. ((4Roll+4Str+1WTA-4Def) x 2 = 10 Damage.)

Lance Cav A has 0 HP.

Lance Cav A is KOed!

Luc Gains 10 EXP.

Edited by Script

Charlotte healed Alferis, who appeared to be wounded quite badly (+6 HP Alf 12/12)

"Tessa, if we don't at least knock her unconscious, we are all going to die here." Morgan said, firing off a blast at Kamilla, unfortunately missing (2,4,4)

Tristan attacked one of the remaining axe cavaliers. (6,5,6)= 9-4= 5 damage Axe Cav A dead.

Irritated by the lack of damage his knives were doing, Heinz ran closer to the cavalier, throwing two knives in quick succession (+5, +3 dmg). The cavalier made another stab at the mercenary, who again dodged, using the cavalier's own horse as a shield (+0 dmg Link ).

Conrad staggered, barely managing to hold onto Thunderbolt. Second time in a row I've been defeated so easily..... This should not be the case. The mighty general slumped forward in his saddle while his horse quickly brought him away from the heat of the battle, searching for one of those people with staffs to bring his master to, as he had been trained.

Heinz: 9/9 HP (+5 exp)

Sword Cav B: 3/12 HP

Edit: Conrad already KO'ed, ignore second roll.

Edited by the_whistler

"Sis! That's not true. Kamilla doesn't even fight. If you must, focus on one of the leaders. And please, take better care of yourself," Tess rebutted Morgan, before healing her.

Morgan +6. 11/12

Edited by Balcerzak

We Continue to Fight

Viv tried yet again to attack Kamilla only to miss as the girl dove out of the way! Having finished off her own target Irina noticed the pegasus knight struggling and flew over to assist. As Kamilla rose to her feet Kiev body slammed her sending the girl tumbling a half dozen meters to the ground.

Viveka: ... again ... AGAIN?

Irina: Sorry ... you just looked like you were having trouble is all.

Viveka: Gah!

Meanwhile Iso finally managed steer Francis back toward the direction of the battle. As he began riding back in their direction he thought aloud.

Iso: Urgh. Dammit, Kelas. I understand I'm one of the main targets here but I can't just leave my sister behind in that mess. I've got to help out ... and hopefully with Proxima I can do a bit better this time?

Viv rolls 2,4,4

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792094/

HIT 6 vs Evade 8 = MISS

Irina rolls 6,5,6

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792096/

HIT 12 vs Evade 8 = HIT

DMG 13 vs DEF 1 = -12 hp KO

Viv hp 12/12

Irina hp 17/18

Exp:

Viv: +7

Irina: +15

Kamilla began crawling away coughing up blood. She could already feel it. Her ribs were broken. She quickly spotted where her tome had fallen and grabbed it before trying to continue on.

Edited by Phoenix

(Note: Moved to Next Player Phase)

Heading forward, Alf confronted a sword wielding knight. He rushed but missed and took a hit in return!

Link to Roll (Redirected to Sword Cav): http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2792098/

Alferis: (1,2,5) Miss!

Sword Cav: (1,1,5) Hit! 1+3+1-4= 1 damage! Alferis 11/12 HP

Alferis gains 5 exp!

Reika decided to attack another Axe Cav.

Reika (5,3,1) Hit! 3+3-1-4= 1 damage! Axe Knight B 11/12

Axe Knight B (5,5,5) Miss!

Reika (1,5,3) Hit! 5+3-1-4= 3 damage! Axe Knight B 8/12

Reika gains 5 exp!

Edited by Red Magister