Licensing Question

I'm sure there are better places to ask, especially since most FE modding resources are usually either totally free or not resources at all, but I'm lazy so here I am.

I've been wondering about licenses like CC Share Alike and GPL3. From what I gather, these give full rights to use a given thing, but using something under one of those licenses means you have to release what you used it for with the same permissions. I can understand the use for some things, but does this mean that if, say, someone makes a graphic and releases it under CC Share Alike, and you use that graphic in a game, now you need to make your whole game and all its assets and code available under the same license? And if you also used a graphic licensed with GPL3 which I keep mistyping as GLP, then your game would have to have both licenses?

I've been trying to avoid assets with restrictions like this, but that almost seems like it defeats the point, so I was wondering if someone here happened to know.

i'm not positive, but i think its something like, if like someone made a "base" art with that license, youre not allowed to go around selling the art you made using the bases. if you sold a game using resources like this but a lot of the work is your own i doubt they would go after you for it if you gave credit but like if they did you could probably just negotiate i guess.

as far as romhacks go, pretty sure that anything created while using another's game engine and/or intellectual property without permission is already a legal problem, and adding licensing stuff just makes it a laughing matter

as for what hoshi said, noone is going to reasonably sue for intellectual property misuse for selling bases, but then... people tend to support each other when in communities supported or completely run by community-driven content (such as art or in this case, game modding), and if you start being a douchebag your notoriety is going to affect you and your success in producing things (if you even do) especially if you get banned for it

realistically speaking, when it comes to these situations, play it by the community's rules because noone else is going to care

Edited by Lamia