Edited Thracia Script

General Banzai

TheEnd, just out of curiosity, would you call the current Thracia Translation a good translation. No opinions on Banzai or anything else.

Are you talking about the translation or the patch?

Also for fucks sake he shouldn't have to get Fire Lizards permission, Fire Lizard didn't get Masayuki Horikawa's permission when he translated it, and you certainly didn't get Kouhei Maeda's permission to translate FE12, and before you think you can be a smart ass and go "Well then I'll just stop translating FE12" I honestly could not give two fucks. I haven't played it now and am in no rush to play it when it comes out. It's completion would not effect me and I don't care enough about other people to be to buggered if they get screwed.

My point is the permission argument is stupid. This whole thread has devolved into stupid.

When did I ever talk about permissions in this thread?

>before you think you can be a smart ass and go "Well then I'll just stop translating FE12"

What kind of childish logic is that

Edited by TheEnd

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has gotten a little silly. Time to actually look at what he's done!

Generally, Banzai's made the script a bit tidier. Ignoring the name changes, which everyone seems so worked up about, there's at least some improvement in flow.

"I'm sorry, but Lady Linoan gave me an important mission. Or will you fight with us for the people of Tahra, Rifis?" (Chapter 2x)

The "or" sounds a little odd. Some of the possessive stuff Lifis says sounds weird too, it's more like she's an object sitting in his pockets rather than someone he could use for himself. Personally, I'm happy with the names in the old translation, but that's just the way I feel.

Are you talking about the translation or the patch?

When did I ever talk about permissions in this thread?

>before you think you can be a smart ass and go "Well then I'll just stop translating FE12"

What kind of childish logic is that

The patch which contains the translation. And the childish logic I have encountered many a time.

The patch which contains the translation.

The patch has a very mangled presentation (borked menus, even a couple lategame onCursorOver crashes) that keeps people from playing it. Myself included.

And the childish logic I have encountered many a time.

Children are childish etc

This has gotten a little silly. Time to actually look at what he's done!

Generally, Banzai's made the script a bit tidier. Ignoring the name changes, which everyone seems so worked up about, there's at least some improvement in flow.

"I'm sorry, but Lady Linoan gave me an important mission. Or will you fight with us for the people of Tahra, Rifis?" (Chapter 2x)

The "or" sounds a little odd. Some of the possessive stuff Lifis says sounds weird too, it's more like she's an object sitting in his pockets rather than someone he could use for himself. Personally, I'm happy with the names in the old translation, but that's just the way I feel.

Oh thank fucking god, somebody who's actually going to comment on the edit.

Okay, the "or". The idea behind it is that you have to look at Rifis's comment beforehand.

Rifis:

"C'mon, Saphy... I'll give you whatever you want. Would you please do as I ask?"

Saphy:

"I'm sorry, but Lady Linoan gave me an important mission. Or will you fight with us for the people of Tahra, Rifis?"

With this context, Rifis is asking Saphy to do something. Saphy says, "I'm sorry, can't". The "or" is there as an indication of "unless".

I suppose I could rewrite it:

Saphy:

"I'm sorry, but Lady Linoan gave me an important mission. Unless you will fight with us for the people of Tahra?"

Hmm. Perhaps that sounds better, and makes more clear the meaning. What do you think? Also, about the possessives, that's how it is in the original script, and I don't really have a mind to change it.

Edited by General Banzai

You chose a name that sounds nothing like Eyrios, that no man on this godforsaken earth would recognise as Eyrios, and I keep trying to type Eyrious instead, like some kind of fucking adjective or some shit

ey·ri·ous

   [eye-REE-oss]

adjective

Completely unrecognisable from the more currently accepted translation, without sufficient evidence to outweigh it.

Requiring the death of another character, despite both that character and the subject being likable.

If you genuinely think they are even faintly similar in sound or appearance to each other, then yes, you have no knowledge of your mother tongue.

Considering that you support the Belf->Vergil change, I don't really think you have a leg to stand on here. Why the double standard?

It'd be nice if no one here did operate on double-standards. There's far too many people who try to quibble things, becoming inconsistent in the process.

Just to add in, Eyrios can also be an allusion to eyries.

But Ilios's actual name, イリオス, is not an allusion to eyries, but an allusion to Ilios.

Holy shit, do you even know what the difference between a reference, and its referent, and an allusion is? C'mon English major, you should've been through with that before your GRE.

"An allusion is a figure of speech that makes a reference to, or representation of, people, places, events, literary work, myths, or works of art, either directly or by implication. M. H. Abrams defined allusion as "a brief reference, explicit or indirect, to a person, place or event, or to another literary work or passage".[1] It is left to the reader or hearer to make the connection (Fowler); where the connection is detailed in depth by the author, it is preferable to call it "a reference""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allusion

So I haven't actually read most of the revisions, and only read two pages of the topic, but from what I have read, cleaned up would be a gross overstatement. There's a lot of stuff in what I've read that's just as awkward, if not more awkward than before.

Yes, but it seems you don't.

So I haven't actually read most of the revisions, and only read two pages of the topic, but from what I have read, cleaned up would be a gross overstatement. There's a lot of stuff in what I've read that's just as awkward, if not more awkward than before.

Examples, not just blanket statements.

Yes, but it seems you don't.

Then why did you assert that there isn't a difference between a reference and an allusion? Your fool's-text did not, while there obviously is. You keep falling back on things other than yourself, seemingly in an attempt to justify your actions indirectly--man up, plz

Edited by Celice

Then why did you assert that there isn't a difference between a reference and an allusion? Your fool's-text did not, while there obviously is. You keep falling back on things other than yourself, seemingly in an attempt to justify your actions indirectly--man up, plz

Examples, not just blanket statements.

Um, wrong. Let's re-read what I posted:

"An allusion is a figure of speech that makes a reference to, or representation of, people, places, events, literary work, myths, or works of art, either directly or by implication. M. H. Abrams defined allusion as "a brief reference, explicit or indirect, to a person, place or event, or to another literary work or passage".[1] It is left to the reader or hearer to make the connection (Fowler); where the connection is detailed in depth by the author, it is preferable to call it "a reference""

Oh, I see! So a reference is an in-depth explanation of a connection done by the author himself, while an allusion is more cursory leaves it to the reader to make the connection? :O

What part of that quote even led you to believe that it was stating there was no difference between a reference and an allusion?

Your ignorant inclusion of the 'or' function. An allusion is not explicit or indirect, but always indirect. If it is not indirect, then it is not an allusion--an 'Ilios' defense would be appealing to a referent, not an allusion.

Your credentials are shoddy.

Your ignorant inclusion of the 'or' function. An allusion is not explicit or indirect, but always indirect. If it is not indirect, then it is not an allusion--an 'Ilios' defense would be appealing to a referent, not an allusion.

Your credentials are shoddy.

Do you know why I posted a quote from another source rather than simply saying it myself? Because I'm fairly certain that M. H. Abrams, a literary critic with a PhD in English from Harvard is a better authority than either of us.

So when it comes between Abrams's definition (explicit or indirect) and yours (only indirect), I'm going to trust the Harvard graduate and respected literary critic, not random internet guy.

*holds up shield*

I'm glad that Banzai edited the text, since before this nobody else had even bothered to do so.

*egg smashes against shield*

I'm not saying everyone else was too lazy to do so and he saved ya'll a lotta time, but ya'll are lazy and he saved ya'll a lotta time.

*egg to the face*

As for FireLizard's permission. 1. Don't think he even exists anymore. 2. Whoever programmed the original patch made unauthorized edits to FireLizard's translation that FireLizard hasn't cared about for the past six years, so something tells me I'm a-okay

Personally, I'm not sure if FireLizard, today, actually cares about these edits you're making. However, the fact of the matter is that you're still making unauthorized edits he explicitly states shouldn't be at the end of the document here. Apparently you're free to make these edits but only for your personal use, posting them for the public eye to see does not fall under this so with that note, I'm to close this thread, maybe even set it invisible but I'll keep it visible so you can still view whatever criticism you have have found "valid' here.

@Bold: When you make an assertion you're supposed to prove it, not throw it out there and plant it as justification for what you're doing and assume you're correct.

There's more I want to say (oh believe me, there bloody is), but I'll leave the credentials bashing and other things as it is. Questions, hate, etc, PM to me or the admins.

Edited by Sirius

After some discussion it has been decided that this and Popo's thread will now be opened. You may resume what you're doing but unless you have permission from the people involved in the original work, you may not redistribute the patch in this forum.

I will close this thread again (there's no need of that copyright stuff to do it) if there's any more crap going on that has little to nothing to do with the script editing and Banzai, learn to take criticism.

Edited by Sirius

Thank you, Sirius. I realize that I have made a lot of people angry at me, including the people working on the FE6 script edit project. I would like to extend an apology specifically to Popo, the head of that project, for miring her and her work into my problems. I bear her no ill will and did not wish to see her thread closed, and am sincerely pleased that it was re-opened.

I am also pleased that this thread was re-opened, but Sirius is right. There has been far too much bickering in this thread and I am as much to blame as anyone else. Taking criticism is an issue of mine and I will strive to be better about it from now on. I will attempt to do so by refusing to respond to any posts in this thread that have nothing to do with the specific content of my edit itself. Any discussion about name changes should go in the "Proposed Thracia Name Changes" thread located on this board. Any other discussion, whether it be about credentials, who's the better English major, or what school is the best, will not be tolerated.

Let's hope that there will be no further problems.

Despite my earlier disagreement with Sirius, I agree with his final call here. Copyrighted or not, it's not too respectful to take work someone did and said not to copy and change it, and then copy and change it, and it makes sense not to allow distributing it here for the sake of that respect.

As for you, Banzai, you really could have said that better. You'll work on being better with criticism by telling other people to do different things and by reducing tolerance? I think I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think you're conveying quite what you might want to.

Edited by Othin

So... does this mean that there'll be a new Thracia patch? Will the bugs be addressed?

Well, hopefully there will be a competent hacker who can fix all the errors with the current patch. I merely did this in order to correct the numerous typos and grammatical errors that exist in the current script. A couple of hackers have expressed interest, but nobody seems to have done anything really definite so far. However, I hope that soon we will be able to come out with something that doesn't make Thracia a chore to play.