WTF is up with the release date?

From memory, FE3 Book 2 had approximately 2.5x the amount of lines of Book 1. In addition, FE12 added a comparatively longer Prologue and there's also those 300+ new base conversations.

In any case, I believe the imminent release of the 3DS is probably the largest reason for the delay. There's probably tons of materials they need to translate, as well as several games. Not to mention the logistics of a new console launch.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From memory, FE3 Book 2 had approximately 2.5x the amount of lines of Book 1. In addition, FE12 added a comparatively longer Prologue and there's also those 300+ new base conversations.

In any case, I believe the imminent release of the 3DS is probably the largest reason for the delay. There's probably tons of materials they need to translate, as well as several games. Not to mention the logistics of a new console launch.

Didn't an exec say (over the summer, I want to say - after E3) that during the interim while waiting for the 3DS that they were going to focus on localizing some titles that hadn't made it across the Pacific yet? (EDIT - Oh, I guess said article was posted above. Point still stands though that NoA hasn't really been doing anything on this front in regards to localizing JP-only titles here in NA.)

And, there's the fact that FE12 came out forever and a day before Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, yet GS3 has been out in NA for months now with no mention of FE12 at all. And, I'd wager that GS3 had its own fair share of dialog in it too... Sure, the 3DS might be involved in its delay right now (if it's being localized), but that doesn't really account for the fact that a game that came out 3 months before another one in Japan had said later-released game get localized before the first one even did.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Didn't an exec say (over the summer, I want to say - after E3) that during the interim while waiting for the 3DS that they were going to focus on localizing some titles that hadn't made it across the Pacific yet? (EDIT - Oh, I guess said article was posted above. Point still stands though that NoA hasn't really been doing anything on this front in regards to localizing JP-only titles here in NA.)

I don't think there were referring to "before" the 3DS was out, but the transition period when DS games are more or less phased out.

"Taking advantage of such software may be one of the ways to deal with your question about the transitional period from Nintendo DS to Nintendo 3DS," he proposed.

So if FE12 does come out, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 3+ months after the 3DS's launch.

And, there's the fact that FE12 came out forever and a day before Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, yet GS3 has been out in NA for months now with no mention of FE12 at all. And, I'd wager that GS3 had its own fair share of dialog in it too... Sure, the 3DS might be involved in its delay right now (if it's being localized), but that doesn't really account for the fact that a game that came out 3 months before another one in Japan had said later-released game get localized before the first one even did.

Well, Dark Dawn has been in development for a long time and appeared at E3 two years in a row, so I'm betting NOA/NOE had much more time to work on the English localisation. The first build of the game was in English exclusively as well.

It also seems to me that FE12 isn't a high priority game for even Nintendo of Japan, since it was announced out of nowhere, just over a month before releasing (although I think Nintendo does that with games quite often, so don't take my word for it). So NOA/NOE probably are in no rush to get the game out.

Edited by VincentASM

I know that Nintendo made a lot of effort to advertise Shadow Dragon in the US, and I assume that those efforts cost them a lot of money. Given that they had also put a lot of money and effort into advertising Earthbound, and Earthbound didn't sell very well, I am worried that the same might have happened to Fire Emblem.

Could Shadow Dragon be considered a flop in the US? Do you think NoA would be as reluctant to release future FE games as Mother games?

I know that Nintendo made a lot of effort to advertise Shadow Dragon in the US, and I assume that those efforts cost them a lot of money. Given that they had also put a lot of money and effort into advertising Earthbound, and Earthbound didn't sell very well, I am worried that the same might have happened to Fire Emblem.

Could Shadow Dragon be considered a flop in the US? Do you think NoA would be as reluctant to release future FE games as Mother games?

In it's life time, it has sold 240k copies, which is worse than Golden Sun sold in about 7 weeks, but otherwise I would say it sold decently maybe? Worldwide it broke 400k which is what most decently selling games do (Mostly because of Japan though).

I think they are definitely reluctant. Hopefully the Casual mode brings in an influx of new NoObs, though. I'd rather have noobs and Fire Emblem than have no English Fire Emblem at all. Just think: Fire Emblem forums actually coming to life again. Veterans helping out newcomers...and veterans answering the 938304902734 questions newcomers will have about the previous games.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I think they are definitely reluctant. Hopefully the Classic mode brings in an influx of new NoObs, though. I'd rather have noobs and Fire Emblem than have no English Fire Emblem at all. Just think: Fire Emblem forums actually coming to life again. Veterans helping out newcomers...and veterans answering the 938304902734 questions newcomers will have about the previous games.

They've already been making easier modes for NA gamers, like adding save slots to Radiant Dawn easy and normal modes.

They've already been making easier modes for NA gamers, like adding save slots to Radiant Dawn easy and normal modes.

Yeah, but nothing like Casual Mode has ever been implemented.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Yeah, but nothing like Classic Mode has ever been implemented.

You mean Casual mode. Classic mode is, you know, the classic "people die when they're killed" that has been around since the 90s.

I feel like a dick for posting this, but well.

I don't think it's really up to the Japanese branch of Nintendo what gets released in North America or Europe; I'm pretty sure it's up to Nintendo of America or Nintendo of Europe to decide that.

Nor do I believe that the lack of a release date is due to any deadlocks between Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Japan, as it is with Earthbound. In fact, it could be as simple as this:

1. FE12 has roughly 2.5 times as much text as FE11, meaning more than twice as much work for the translators.

2. Nintendo doesn't want to overhype the game by announcing it too soon before its release date. (Twilight Princess and Super Smash Bros: Brawl suffered from this, and arguably so did FE11.) In Japan, it was announced only about a month and a half before it was released, and only the most hardcore FE fans outside of Japan even know that.

In short, it's premature to say that Fire Emblem fans in the U.S. and Europe have been abandoned, at least until they stop making DS games at all.

Edited by Paper Jam

You do know that the 3DS can play normal DS games, right (just not in 3D)?

Yeah, I mean, the GBA enjoyed a healthy period of saleability after the DS was released, but it would be nice (and potentially better for sales) if they got it out ASAP.

You mean Casual mode. Classic mode is, you know, the classic "people die when they're killed" that has been around since the 90s.

I feel like a dick for posting this, but well.

Whoops. :/

Yeah, I meant Casual Mode; I'm not sure why I called it "Classic." :( Maybe because I was thinking "classic RPG," rather than "classic Fire Emblem," but that's a pretty far stretch in itself.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I'm hoping that it'll come out July this year, but that might be wishful thinking. One thing is for sure, it is coming to the states....right?

Nothing is certain.

It would be the height of foolishness NOT to release it in the States, but Nintendo has made foolish decisions in the past.

On the other hand, is it not reasonable to suppose that it takes a lot of time to translate a game as text-heavy as FE12, and that they don't want fans to get too excited by announcing a release date too soon? I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt until they stop making DS games at all, and I suggest that everybody else do the same.

I think I vaguely mentioned this ages ago, but that was back when there was more important FE12 news flying around.

In any case, as Keitaro mentioned, FE12 is region-locked for the DSi (and presumably the 3DS). The only DSi "enhancement" for the game seems to be the parental controls. Of course, if you're romming using a plain old DS or DS Lite, there are no issues whatsoever.

There is a few region locked games. Those are called "DSi Enhanced" on PlayAsia shop - http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-70-3uvf.html What exactly "DSi Enhanced" means - http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-dsienhanced-49-en.html

First I have to say great Manga. I read it twice, had to throw that in there. And I was wondering if a person can play the game on a DS r4, DS lite that is.