O-sawa Mitsuki FE4 manga translation thread

Tomoyo

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I have a scanner, but unfortunately my printer is stupid and it needs colored and black ink to function AT ALL. I did have thoughts on purchasing the manga and scanning it whenever my printer can actually scan, but I can't clean raw scans, so I'd have to ask someone to clean the scans for me. I'm not one hundred percent in translating, since I'm still only studying Japanese, so I can't do a full-on translation. Whenever I can get spare money that won't have to be spent on bills instantly, I'm planning on looking into buying the entire Genealogy manga.

In the meantime all I have for FE manga is volume one of Thracia so that's not getting us anywhere, unfortunately.

I have little experience with cleaning scans with simple photoshop.

Usually I google how to do it and practice it instantly.

My current ability to clean a scan is only 'leveling','cropping','adjusting brightness and contrast' and 'cleaning the text from the speech bubble'

I'm not really experienced. My only experience in cleaning a scan is cleaning two or three chapter of this manga

I have a scanner, but unfortunately my printer is stupid and it needs colored and black ink to function AT ALL. I did have thoughts on purchasing the manga and scanning it whenever my printer can actually scan, but I can't clean raw scans, so I'd have to ask someone to clean the scans for me. I'm not one hundred percent in translating, since I'm still only studying Japanese, so I can't do a full-on translation. Whenever I can get spare money that won't have to be spent on bills instantly, I'm planning on looking into buying the entire Genealogy manga.

In the meantime all I have for FE manga is volume one of Thracia so that's not getting us anywhere, unfortunately.

It might be a bit too much to tackle a furigana-less manga if you're just beginning, but translating stuff in general is great practice.

I have little experience with cleaning scans with simple photoshop.

Usually I google how to do it and practice it instantly.

My current ability to clean a scan is only 'leveling','cropping','adjusting brightness and contrast' and 'cleaning the text from the speech bubble'

I'm not really experienced. My only experience in cleaning a scan is cleaning two or three chapter of this manga

You could always try to work with someone who is experienced. No harm in cleaning a few things though if you really wanna do it. I can get rid of text from dialogue bubbles and I can crop... with MS Paint. That's about it for me. XD;

It might be a bit too much to tackle a furigana-less manga if you're just beginning, but translating stuff in general is great practice.

No furigana would indeed be an issue. XD; I do translate raws from another series even though the translations are online already, and I tend to compare my own translations to the ones online and whatnot.

I would like to believe that sooner or later someone with actual translating experience will have an interest in this manga. If it's someone who doesn't know FE4 prior, there's plenty of us to give them direction.

In good news, tax returns happened. I'm getting all my money back. I should have plenty of money to spare to buy FE4's manga. I'll try to con someone into splitting the cost with me for the printer ink so the damn thing actually lets me scan, but worst case scenario is that I have to throw in fifty-ish dollars to get the ink it's bugging me for.

I'll poke in an update if anything worthwhile happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Update of the verdict: Bought the whole manga set. It'll be with me within the month.

Bye 200 dollars. You were well spent.

As soon as I get ink for the printer/scanner I have since it's dumb as we've gone over, I'll throw a few raw scans out. Can't promise when that'll be, and it'll take a while to get the whole thing up (those volumes are like 300 pages per volume and I have eleven volumes to scan if I do scan it all so y e a h). In the meantime, I will take comfort in knowing I've never spent so much money in one purchase for anything before FE4...

It should be okay once it has ink. The problem is that it has an error message for not having enough black or color ink, and it doesn't do anything except show that message, so the scanner won't even work. Once it has ink it SHOULD be good to go or I'll have to buy a scanner... which I hope isn't the case.

I'll let you all know once the manga reaches me though. I am also looking forward to seeing it, so the wait is gonna kill me. I swear the days were passing by so fast until I bought this.

Thanks for all the good luck. I look forward to crying about this manga over basically everything and having you all cry with me. :'D

THANK YOU AND IT ARRIVED AT MY DOOR TODAY.

In fact, I was trying to sleep (at nearly three in the afternoon? Girl, what are you doing? I know, right.) but fuck that, my dad dropped the box off in my room and I got the hell outta bed to open it. I think the fact that it was raining outside and the fact that the box was wet eased my burden of trying to cut through the masses of tape, only for me to have to go through intense amounts of TAPPED bubble wrap. (Me: Hey look, there's volume one. I opened it on the right end of the bubble wrap!) Then after the bubble wrap matter was settled, OH BOY. THEY'RE WRAPPED TOGETHER IN PLASTIC WITH 1-4, 5-10, AND 11-16. I have never had more of an adventure trying to open manga, I swear to you. In fact, it'd be kinda strange if nobody in the house realized I swung out of bed to open this because I made a lot of noise trying to get the books out of everything.

Checked the books since they were used copies, but they seem in really good form, so they won't be a disaster to scan or for someone to clean. Now all that's left is to get that dumb printer working. Gotta check to see if it needs colored or black ink, but I think it needs color. Unfortunately. Since colored ink costs a lot more. BUT as soon as that's out of the way I can start scanning a few raws to get everyone by as I go over scanning what wasn't scanned of volume six yet.

As far as what I'm scanning, I'm not going to bother with the first 37 chapters. Holsety Scans took care of them and I really see no need to go over them and put them up again. However, I do want to ask what people think is best: To leave those chapters alone since hell, they're already done, or if I should just scan them all anyway and have them redone to fit in with the rest of my scans. If it's up to me, I'm just leaving them as is. I may consider just redoing them laaaater after the rest of the manga is out of the way, but meh. There's nothing particularly wrong about the scans we have now, and the quality is really good. Plus, if I started scanning at volume one that would take time for me to scan things we already have.

In other news, I don't know where the hell I'm going to put these books because I already have... too much manga and no room to put these. OTL

Oh well. I guess they're staying on my computer desk. What a shame.

-Pokes books- Pretty art. But too much Trabant in volume six.

The day foretold about is here!!!

And in terms of the already done chapters, it's obviously completely up to you; you're doing a ton of work for our enjoyment. If you want to go back and redo them, have at it, but I don't see anything wrong what's been done.

The day foretold about is here!!!

And in terms of the already done chapters, it's obviously completely up to you; you're doing a ton of work for our enjoyment. If you want to go back and redo them, have at it, but I don't see anything wrong what's been done.

Yeah, I'm kinda in the mindset of "no need to fix what isn't broken".

If anyone can help me find a cleaner and translator (I can translate a few things myself but the kanji is a killer and as stated previously, there's no furigana which is even more of a killer), that's about all I'd really need if we want to get this properly translated and put online and whatnot. I can proofread and typeset, and while normally that'd be a lot of work including scanning, well, it's FE4. I can manage.

In other news, this manga is shit full of people crying and I think only like... Manfloy didn't cry at some point.

This manga is painful. Seeing Yurius and Alvis cry breaks my soul, forget just my heart.

Also, just going to put it out there that the manga ends at chapter ten (versus the LI manga's chapter nine), with Alvis' death (volume sixteen ends with that). I only skimmed everything as of now, but I saw no indication of Yurius dying. Whew. Safe! Unless it's because I didn't try to translate and he actually killed himself in which case not safe.

Edited by Jugdral Defender

*Raucous applause*

Yeah, I'm kinda in the mindset of "no need to fix what isn't broken".

Imo, the only reason why you would consider rescanning the already completed stuff is if you want to go with different names than the ones Tomoyo was using (I think they're fine as-is) and wanted to change the earlier chapters to match. But even that could be done by just editing them without making new scans, so...

If for whatever reason you do, definitely wait until you're done with the rest.

*Raucous applause*

Imo, the only reason why you would consider rescanning the already completed stuff is if you want to go with different names than the ones Tomoyo was using (I think they're fine as-is) and wanted to change the earlier chapters to match. But even that could be done by just editing them without making new scans, so...

If for whatever reason you do, definitely wait until you're done with the rest.

Yeah, I mean, I could change names for consistency's sake based on the ones I'd use, but I'd probably leave most alone. While I'm preferable to, say, Tiltyu as the spelling, Tailto's her actual JP name and thus I should probably go with that, seeing as how I'm using Yurius/Yuria (which is actually also their romanized name spellings in these books. I think Tinny's the only one I'd really stick to fan translation wise, even though I know her JP name is Teeny).

That's the plan. People aren't waiting on what we already have, so I'd rather chuck out what we're all waiting on. I can safely say I am also waiting, because I can't translate this on my own. That didn't stop it from completely obliterating my sleep schedule, of course.

Maybe I can get some semi-crappy camera shots before I can scan things.

In my opinion:

If you want to change the name of the characters based on your own translation, you need to at least re-translate the manga from the beginning, but if you use the previous character name from the stopped project, then you just need to translate the untranslated chapters only.

But I suggest to just use the previous name and continue the translation as is, so that you don't need to re-translate the whole manga.

I could do some cleaning tough,

like leveling, cropping, removing bubbles, rotating, etc. with Photoshop CS3, just don't expect me to do it really quick. Maybe 10-30 black-and-white pages per week depending on the quality of the scans

In my opinion:

If you want to change the name of the characters based on your own translation, you need to at least re-translate the manga from the beginning, but if you use the previous character name from the stopped project, then you just need to translate the untranslated chapters only.

But I suggest to just use the previous name and continue the translation as is, so that you don't need to re-translate the whole manga.

I could do some cleaning tough,

like leveling, cropping, removing bubbles, rotating, etc. with Photoshop CS3, just don't expect me to do it really quick. Maybe 10-30 black-and-white pages per week depending on the quality of the scans

I'm fifty/fifty on that, but that's probably what I'd do. I think the only name that I'm really "changing" is Eltoshan back to Eltshan, because they previously went back and forth with it, so I know it's been used. Other than that, I believe I don't have change intention. Briggid/Brigid isn't really important at all.

Tbh I wouldn't worry about going too fast. 10-30 pages a week really doesn't sound too bad, and I personally prefer getting the raws out one chapter at a time. That way there's at least something to look at instead of waiting for like a month for the entire thing, only to have to wait again.

-

In other news, I come bearing gifts, and by gifts I mean shitty camera pictures to make up for lack of a scanner atm. My camera's kind of a pain in the ass so I didn't grab many, but I'll keep them coming bit by bit. The ones here are from volumes 6-7.

Untitled_zpsotbdhzc1.png

Sigurd busts in to save his daddy man.

13_zpsf75szb1o.png

Camera qualify fail.

Brigid fighting against Andre. Expect family angst.

15_zpsryutymgm.png

015_zpsyafwogve.jpg

More family angst. Never enough family angst in this manga. Baby Celice does not want to be separated from daddy.

017_zpstm9gjfuv.jpg

In which Ethlin prefers killing herself over being killed by her personal stalker Trabant.

018_zpsytqk6g7y.jpg

Baby Leaf slept through all of this.

17_zpsyt5ilm4g.png

Trabant is made to look like one of the most sympathetic villains in this manga... but I disagree.

In which I use commentary to make myself feel better because...

this fucking manga.

Simply beautiful.

Why didn't IPboard warn me of this

If you want to change the name of the characters based on your own translation, you need to at least re-translate the manga from the beginning

I'm sorry, but this is absurd.

There is no point in re-translating the rest of the manga, unless you believe Tomoyo did a poor job on it. (I believe she didn't.)

Likewise, there is no need to force yourself to keep names if you don't agree with them. Just use whatever you think is right - it'll help keeping it consistent (as far as your own translation goes), as you won't accidentally slip back into your preferred names.