Masteries should have been unique skills instead of "lol OHKO"

I think you overestimate the difficulty of using lower tier units. It is more difficult to achieve a low turn count with the best units in the game than it is to turtle your way through even if you use "bad" units such as Brom, Makalov, Edward, and so on.

Maybe, since I would assume LTC requires the same level of planning as speedrunning (although not nearly as many resets). But just playing "efficiently" with high tiers is easy enough, which is a few turns longer than the LTC optimal but requires almost no planning.

In addition, I think I have stated this before but it bears repeating: I do not think that Fire Emblem has a problem with being too easy. One only has to observe the countless reviews and comments on Radiant Dawn noting the game's high difficulty to understand that strategy is important. If it were really the case that "raping" FE10 takes almost no thought, nobody would have ever have called it a difficult game.

Games like FE8 and 9 are constantly toted as being easy.

FE10, I believe, most of the difficulty whining is about DB maps, mainly part 1. And since part 1 comes way before the rest of the game, reviewers who probably don't play the whole game before making a review on it, would say the game is hard. But almost no one says that GM maps or part 4 are hard. These parts, in particular, certainly take almost no thought. (I also think some reviewers said the difficulty wildly varies between parts or something to that effect).

I would rather my skill be flashy and useful than boring and useless but somehow "unique".

Again, masteries are bad because they are POORLY DESIGNED.

Skills like Corrosion and disarm could've actually been good if they were more reliable, while being unique. Yes, as they are ingame, they are useless and unique. Less useful than masteries, sure. But that's not the point. I'm talking about design. Disarm/corrosion/etc. can be useful if they were simply more reliable (increase activation rate, etc), because as they are designed they are already "good enough" so to speak. Masteries need a complete overhaul.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, since I would assume LTC requires the same level of planning as speedrunning (although not nearly as many resets). But just playing "efficiently" with high tiers is easy enough, which is a few turns longer than the LTC optimal but requires almost no planning.

But playing with mid and low tiers doesn't require an awful lot of planning either! After all, it's their initial phase that tends to be the most difficult rather than later on in the game. Astrid, for instance, is initially horrible and while she's never "good", she can at least survive a few rounds of combat later on in the game. And even Kysha has decent enough growths.

Games like FE8 and 9 are constantly toted as being easy.

I do not "tote" them as being easy, and when I do I usually try to make it clear that I mean "easy relative to other FE games". When they are toted as being easy, it's usually by people who have a strong strategic grasp of FE. Which would seem to be a good thing since you are constantly complaining that FE is more about "picking the right units instead of picking the right strategy". The fact that players with a great deal of experience find the game that much easier indicates that the strategies that people use do indeed matter.

FE10, I believe, most of the difficulty whining is about DB maps, mainly part 1. And since part 1 comes way before the rest of the game, reviewers who probably don't play the whole game before making a review on it, would say the game is hard. But almost no one says that GM maps or part 4 are hard. These parts, in particular, certainly take almost no thought. (I also think some reviewers said the difficulty wildly varies between parts or something to that effect).

Possibly

Again, masteries are bad because they are POORLY DESIGNED.

How do you mean? Are you saying that IS put less thought and planning and intelligence into their creation? Perhaps, but I don't really care about how the design process for FE works, what matters is the finished product.

Skills like Corrosion and disarm could've actually been good if they were more reliable, while being unique. Yes, as they are ingame, they are useless and unique. Less useful than masteries, sure. But that's not the point. I'm talking about design. Disarm/corrosion/etc. can be useful if they were simply more reliable (increase activation rate, etc), because as they are designed they are already "good enough" so to speak. Masteries need a complete overhaul.

Well, I don't know about Disarm. Lots of people seem to have fun abusing it to steal weapons (which is why I didn't mention Disarm as a "bad" skill). It's not really my business to tell them that they're wrong to enjoy using it.

I wouldn't say that Masteries need a complete overhaul. I personally think that all the chance-based skills should be overhauled to be more reliable. I would like to see those skills be command-activated, and characters should have a pool of "skill points" (that replenishes as turns go by) that have to be spent to activate them. This would not only make skills something that could be relied upon as part of a strategy, it would shift the focus away from the enemy phase to the player phase.

I played FE4 a lot some time ago, and therefore I tend to have a lot to say about it, but since last summer, I started finding it to be very boring and haven't played it since.

Hey, that sounds like my experience with the game. Except I left behind a nearly completed subs run and a nearly completed ranked run.

Dark Sage, are you familiar with the concept of hyperbole?

I know you don't think very highly of me, but at least give me credit with knowing what hyperbole is as I do in fact know what it is. I use it quite often!

FE10 in particular is not balanced at all; it may be more balanced than FE4, but it's definitely not a game I would play in the search for a balanced game. My impression of FE11 and FE12 so far is that they are not particularly balanced, either. In terms of player vs. enemy balance, they seem to veer wildly in one direction or the other, and in terms of how the characters compare to one another, I'm more concerned with the ability of each character to stand out in some way. It's hard enough to stand out without valuable, permanent personal skills like in FE4, FE5, TRS, and BS (and occasionally FE9), but damn near impossible without even having individual classes. Although it hasn't been so bad with ignoring Reclass as an option entirely.

Please point to me where I said FE10/11/12 were balanced because I don't recall saying anything of the sort.

On another note, I really don't think its all that challenging to use low to mid tier units. As a person who's currently benching Haar, using Aran instead of Nolan, and training Kyza and Marcia (T) while playing somewhat efficiently, I have not found it particularly more difficult than using a team comprised only of god tiers to stomp through the game. In fact, my major roadblock is that I think I forgot to grab a crown in a base convo while having a level 14 Mia and level 11 Marcia who both want to be tier 3 by part 4, but this obstacle is based more on the fact I'm a forgetful idiot who makes mistakes instead of how difficult it is using substandard units.

@Anouleth: Disarm btw is crucial to Gold Efficiency runs.

Edited by Dark Sage

I know you don't think very highly of me, but at least give me credit with knowing what hyperbole is as I do in fact know what it is. I use it quite often!

Whatever you say.

Please point to me where I said FE10/11/12 were balanced because I don't recall saying anything of the sort.

I play a game with less balance issues instead of a game with more, yes.

So why do you play FE4 instead of FE10 or the DS FEs?

This appears to me to be a claim that if I want to play a balanced game, I should play one of those three games, which only makes sense if you are saying those games are balanced. If you had a different meaning in mind, would you care to explain?

This appears to me to be a claim that if I want to play a balanced game, I should play one of those three games, which only makes sense if you are saying those games are balanced. If you had a different meaning in mind, would you care to explain?

Actually, he seems to be saying that if you prefer to play more balanced games over less balanced games, you should prefer FE10/11/12 over FE4. It's a bit silly since I can't really say that FE12, home of luminaries like Bantu, is definitively more balanced than FE4, but his meaning should be clear. Just because he's suggesting that FE10/11/12 are more balanced than FE4 doesn't mean he's saying that they're balanced in The Grand Scheme Of Things.

Well at the time I thought you still played FE4 so I was pointing out that FE10/FE11/FE12 were more balanced games than FE4 but as far as I knew, you didn't play them. Note that I didn't say they were actually balanced, just moreso than FE4.

Ninja'd by Anouleth I see.

Edited by Dark Sage

Ah, you chose them just because you didn't know of me playing them? Fair enough.

It's been some time since I've played FE10, and I haven't been too interested in it lately. I actually only played through FE11 this past weekend; it was much better than I had expected. (At least, when avoiding the feature that shall not be named.) Haven't played much FE12 yet; I've never been so enthusiastic about playing games on an emulator, and I hate the Prologue.

It needs to be brought up, this is kind of ironic. As in, the strive for balance or chaos is kind of the central theme of FERD.

Mastery Skills are just a part of the chaos, which make the games fun. It's probably possible to cycle units in a way that you would not have to use third tiers for most of the game. Either way, I for one enjoy when my Nolan jumps up in the air and crushes his opponent to death, while a critical would have the same result. Or just use weaker units, and their Masteries might not kill?

Perfect balance is unreasonable and unnatural. You can modify an unbalanced game to change it to what you like (to some degree), using Seth-less as an example.

• 3 weeks later...

Sol: Just make it a Nosferatu hit, like it was in FE4. Skill% Activated.

Luna: Reduce defense to 0 to be sure, but triple Mt seems like overkill. Skill% Activated.

Flare: Appears as an option in the menu, lets you use a Tome as an AoE attack of that Tomes range (Reduced Hit? Reduced Damage?) So a standard Fire tome is a 1-2 AoE while a Meteor is 3-10.

Deadeye: Appears as an option in the menu, lets you hit every enemy in range between the Marksmen and the Target with a 1/3+ increase to Mt. So if there are 3 enemies lined up, you can hit all 3 in any direction.

Colossus(Rename: Cleave?): Two abilities in one. Appears as an option in the menu.

MENU ABILITY: The Reaver preforms a standard attack that propels it two spaces forward (So behind the enemy) so it's great when paired with Provoke and your confident in your Reavers survivability. It also helps get them even further into the action. If the enemy has a unit behind them, the Reaver simply swaps places with the attacked unit.

ACTIVATED SKILL: Colossus activated in battle is a Standard damage increase.

Impale: Different effects for Melee and Range, a Skill% Activated attack.

MELEE: At Melee the Sentinel shoves the enemy as well as doing regular damage, if the enemy can not be shoved (unit behind them) then the enemy unit takes more damage

RANGE: At Range the Sentinel performs a standard attack that inflicts lowered defense on an enemy (as a status effect) AFTER damage has already been done

Corona: A staff version of Flare. INCLUDING Status Staffs, Warp staffs, all staffs (Except Rescue)

Astra: Fine as it is

---

Know this is kind of a dead thread but do we really want another topic on the subject?