Shin Megami Tensei Mafia Day 5

Bluedoom

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man FINALLY this ended I was so frustrated with the modderps I committed!

I LIKE THAT THE ONLY ACTUAL BASTARD PART OF THIS GAME ENDED UP BEING ME MAKING MOD DERPS RATHER THAN THE DISGUISE ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

Yea remember that time where you explicitly stated in the rules that you wouldn't flip Modkilled players

then did it

then did it again?

Those were the good days ~

Mancer's Notes:

The essence of the game is to have town scumhunt more than use the results of Night actions. Thus, there are no strong roles in the game (Cops, Watcher, RoleBlocker, Doctor that does not have a negative effect for his target). The roles give town a little bit of information (Voyeur and Tracker) or allow for town to coordinate some plans in secret if used effectively (Courier).

The guarding roles really have to pay attention to the discussions to know how to use their abilities effectively. Doctoring the JoaTs when he wants to make a crucial kill or Drive will pretty much ruin the town. The Safeguard can only choose his actions during the Day (I am thinking of making him have to choose his target at least 24 hours before the Day phase ends or he will be forced to idle.

JoaT is the town's centerpiece. He packs a lot of power with strong one-shot abilities. He has to try to ascertain the scum's actions by increasing the amount of discussion in the chat and act accordingly. The JoaT's kill happens with a higher priority than scum's or SK's kill, so they can stop the kill by preempting and killing whoever will be sent out for the kill first.

Scum are given roles that interfere with the town's discussions in the Day. Disguiser and Kidnapper allows scum to remove the more pro-Town members from the game (permanently with Disguiser, for one Day phase with Kidnapper). This might confuse the town. The thing about the Kidnapped member of the town is that he can still be hammered, so scum can use that ability to ensure a mislynch/hammer on a town member occurs before that town member can claim.

The Lightkeeper role in this game is actually to stay alive as long as possible to contribute with her Courier ability and to prevent the negative side of her role from happening. She has to appear town enough to not be lynched, yet be distinct or distanced enough from the town members to not be selected by the scum or SK for a kill. Also, her Courier can be used in the morning, so if she manages to get the Doctor to protect her (both herself and the Doctor are unable to openly claim in thread the crucial parts of their role, but their roles complement each other perfectly), her abilities will actually not be compromised or blocked by the Paranoid Doctor.

SK gets the Cop claim so that he may appear as a "ray of light" for the town with his inspection results. Yet, if town decides to trust him, they might find that he will kill town members while inspecting and revealing who the Scum are. This makes it easier for the SK to win as well. One shot BPV saves him from a possible shot by the scum and allows him to do his job longer. SK actually has a significant chance of winning in the game. Because he can still kill while being "Roleblocked" by the Paranoid Doctor, he can still do his job and lie low with town even while being continuously protected by the Paranoid Doctor. The only way to get the SK is by scumhunting or with the JoaT's Day Reveal.

My Notes:

- So if the mafia hadn't bussed their roleblocker to the next world, they would've been in a pretty strong position. Only beaten by the safeguard(and possibly the drive if both of them target the same person), this was their main power to prevent them from losing control of their actions. Obvsly that didn't work out this game, and they paid the price by getting their kill hooked once.

- I didn't realise SK having higher priority than maf and hooking their kill would be a bad thing but I think its something to learn I guess for any future setups.

- The day reveal was definitely my idea because town needed some sort of power to combat an OP SK and a powerful scumteam.

- Lightkeeper and Disguiser in the setup was also my idea because I never saw those roles in any of the games I played and seeing both in one game seemed interesting.

- OP SK wasn't my idea but we realised that later in the game if they claimed cop the jailkeeper would hook them. So we made them strongman. Months later, when I was revising the setup, I thought of scrapping the strongman part. I TOTALLY FORGOT TO DO THAT.

- Originally wanted Mafia to have mayor, but I was advised against it because they were already OP.

Edited by Bluedoom

The essence of the game is to have town scumhunt more than use the results of Night actions.

i'm pretty sure literally every time i've heard this the game has turned out poorly

Disguiser is death godfather if it were even more overpowered and shouldn't be in any game ever tbh.

Not that that's going to stop me from hosting my set-up with a town one eventually.

I was going to use the Disguiser and then I realized it would totally invalidate all the bussing so then I didn't.

Also I already had a response to SB not being on the Samael wagon if that came up- claiming votes on D4 would obviously happen, and it would look super weird if SB DIDN'T vote Kelpie.

but yeah SB played well and probably didn't deserve to get lynched in MYLO just cuz a bunch of people got inactivity modkilled. Although the JK conspiracy theories really did suck; there's absolutely no reason I'd ever let a cleared JK live for two night phases just because I felt I could dodge them.

Man FINALLY this ended I was so frustrated with the modderps I committed!

I LIKE THAT THE ONLY ACTUAL BASTARD PART OF THIS GAME ENDED UP BEING ME MAKING MOD DERPS RATHER THAN THE DISGUISE ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

You forgot the Lightkeeper

You were obvious town and had the second best avatar!

Because I had the best avatar, of course. Too bad I didn't live up to the legend, though.

Rapier you were obvious town and had the best avatar STOP MODKILLING YOURSELF

It's not like I can do something about it, it's my nature.

My exams and SF crashing every 30 minutes also didn't help at all

and here I am, trying to find excuses again.

Okay, next anon game will be different!

Ohboy. My record as any sort of cop is questionable, LOL.

But hey- conducted the most NK's, yeaaaaah~ :D

*Though I totally fudged on my reports D3, got myself caught, and GG'd.

Them comments though, Scum Goon/SB. You wound me. :( I was completely honest in how/why I conducted my NKs/night actions (for the most part, anyways). Just... kinda found my way to the Godfather once again, lol...

-> Feels odd, really. In every game I've done as a COP role, Mafia scum wins, lol. (Town cop -> Scum win (SF3), SK cop -> Scum win (here), and Maf cop (...Uh... I forgets the game, lol) = Maf win (I think?)) @_@;;

I still think my case was 100% legit and that hammer came way too early but gg I guess. I'm not mad at the living town considering I'm not sure what I would've done there, but fuck modkills.

I still think my case was 100% legit and that hammer came way too early but gg I guess. I'm not mad at the living town considering I'm not sure what I would've done there, but fuck modkills.

Deathbound's interactions made a lot more sense from a scum pov though

The interactions were scummier and you should have focused on that- the JK theories were wtf and gave me easy things to respond to in the 1v1 and IMO it made the rest of your argument seem weaker by association. The mafia DID try to kill the JK, every night, but we were driven away and then outprioritized on our kill (which is DUMB but whatever), so...

This is definitely a jewel:

[25/08/2014 6:56:10 AM] Shinori: Well IDK if kelpie is Eury cause she wasn't even on skype at the time. The posting style looks almost exactly like hers but it could be someone rping as her
[25/08/2014 6:56:18 AM] Shinori: idk the inactivity matches
[25/08/2014 6:57:24 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: I thought it was so because of the cop remark
[25/08/2014 6:57:34 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: about having bad luck as cop
[25/08/2014 7:15:30 AM] Bluedoom: When I see EURY WALLS
I think of a demotivtional pic showing a wall of lesbian pics trufax
[25/08/2014 7:20:56 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: lmao
[25/08/2014 7:22:52 AM | Edited 7:23:05 AM] Bluedoom: Shinori you should definitely rename yourself to Yaoikins
[25/08/2014 7:22:55 AM] Bluedoom: it'd be cool
[25/08/2014 7:23:25 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: it has to be a homonym of yaoi
[25/08/2014 7:23:31 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: yowikins
[25/08/2014 7:24:02 AM] Bluedoom: yeah that's better
[25/08/2014 10:43:14 AM] Shinori: Oh god.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I missed the hosting of this game (aka the main bulk of the work), I feel like I should at least do a good postgame with some player analyses too.

Prod me in about two weeks if I still don't have the postgame up by then.