The Well

Prims

Now it's Rein time!

I am Reinfleche, I am 18, born in Ireland and living in America. I've been on SF for over 6 years and played mafia here for over 4, though I have been in less games recently. I have also hosted around 10 games and have co-hosted about as many.

So, ask me anything. As with Kaoz, if you want a good answer, post a good question, simple as that.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think kidnapper/silencer is a Bad Role?

do you prefer role madness games or vanilla games (give or take 50% of the playerlist is vanilla)? does your answer changed based on the size of the game?

What motivated you to participate as much as you did in AM/PM 1 mafia, and if hosts want you to actually participate in their games what should they do to accommodate for you? (Aside from making the game OC.)

how competent do you consider yourself at OC? to be honest I don't even remember the last time you actually joined an OC game

why do you dislike my set-ups :( :( :(

do you still keep up with homestuck

Been with Juliette for a long time?

Does your role ever impact your enthusiasm to participate in a game?

Thoughts on VOID mafia?

Your preferred scumteam, assuming you roll scum? (up to 4 partners)

What are the top three games that you feel you performed best in?

@Manix:

1) Mostly what Kaoz said- they're not inherently bad unless they're just locking someone out of the game, then they're boring. They're much more acceptable in OC environments, as well.

2) Role madness. I've played enough games that having roles switch things up is what differentiate games the most for me and what I find most exciting in a game, rather than just trying to read into interactions in-thread and such.

@Boron:

1) I wanted to show Eli up. It also helped that the majority of the day half of the game was terribly inactive, so I did not have to do a ton of re-reading, which is what I hate the most by far in mafia. The thing about AM/PM is that it didn't even have a gimmick I found particularly entertaining, I was just completely free at the time and could dedicate my time to it without negatively impacting anything else in my life. Unless you can solve all of my real life problems through magic, there is not really a lot a host could do to accommodate me.

@Prims:

1) I'm pretty good I guess. I find it easier to motivate myself in an OC game because I really don't like reading pages and pages of in-thread talk, so in an OC game where I'm able to stay on top of things I feel I perform better, or at the very least enjoy myself much more.

2) To clarify, I don't think your setups are bad, they just aren't my style. I think there is some merit to small powerful mafia/anti-town against larger towns, like your setups tend to be (ex: Spellcard, CY'OR), but I tend to prefer setups that are numerically closer with strong roles on both sides. A matter of preference, if you will.

3) Yes.

@Elieson:

1) Friends for 10 years, dating for about two before engagement (it was kind of on-off for a while in high school and stuff).

2) Yes, I am much more likely to enjoy a game if I have an interesting role.

3) fu

4) Paperblade, Snike, Kaoz, Radiant Dragon

EDIT: Honorable mention to Tables, I forgot at the time but he's cool. I didn't put Refa on this list because I wouldn't want him to be mafia anymore he rolls it too much he deserves to be town sometimes.

5) Jeez, I dunno. Most of my recent games I haven't been particularly active in and then a lot of older games I don't remember very much, and most of my games are older ones. can I count Resistance since you didn't specify mafia? Going off of a quick look down the completed games list and vague memory, I guess I'd say AM/PM, Kamen Rider Ryuuki, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. If I could count resistance it'd be Resistance IV, AM/PM, and Resistance Avalon. Both lists are roughly in order.

@Refa:

1) To some extent I almost don't enjoy NOC mafia at all anymore because it feels like a lot more work, but I like the tactical and planning nature of a good OC game. It's fun to work behind the scenes and either manipulate stuff as mafia or find scum as town. Also I like winning.

Edited by Reinfleche

@Prims

1) For a while people didn't even use the OC part, it was just some thing mentioned in the rules people didn't think much of. I'm not really sure when the split happened, but there was a huge ongoing debate about OC and NOC, and I used to be one of the strongest advocates for NOC, so it's funny how things changed. For a long while games were predominantly OC with games that were NOC being the more standout thing (again, a mirror to the current situation), and it turned around about when you first started playing here and from there OC games became very rare.

@eclipse

1) Not particularly. General Spoon was a pretty okay host, and Life was a good player but not very pleasant and/or fun to talk with or anything. I had no strong feelings when either left (actually I might've been like "later Life, fuck that guy didn't need him anyway" or whatever). Shoutouts to General Spoon for brining mafia here I guess.

@Paperblade

1) Yeah but I moved when I was an infant. I have no memories of it and cannot spin any enchanting tales of the mythical Irish ways.

1) Do you know any Irish Mythology?

Feel free to share some with me, I'm pretty interested in mythology and Irish Mythology is a little of a gray spot for me.

2) What's your favourite Hearthstone class and why?

3) What's your favourite Hearthstone card and why?

4) Any tips to share with a new Hearthstone player?

I'm asking all the unrelated questions cause you said it's okay to do so lol.

Also, back to the Mafia related questions:

5) What is your view on rolling a passive or vanilla character (basically a role that has no night actions that can affect the game)?

6) Why do you prefer OC over NOC?

7) Any advice for a wannabe new mafia player?

@BBM

1) Town. I have a hard time making convincing fake reads as mafia, and am generally not very good at lying in the first place, so not having to lie (the vast majority of the time) is cool.

2) Badass Mafia or Choral Mafia V. Badass Mafia had almost all of the cool concepts I tried out see some level of success, had an interesting setup that managed to combine simple roles in fun ways for almost every role (there were very few that had no variation on a standard role) in a way that I think is hard to capture, and had most of my favorite roles I've made all in one game. On the other hand, CMV was probably a much closer game, and I'm proud that I managed to host a game that was far bigger than anything I had attempted at the time while managing to keep a fairly reasonably balance and making few mistakes, even though it wasn't so great in some aspects (Charlie didn't impact much, a lot of idling). If I had to choose I would probably say Badass because it managed to go more smoothly.

@Mancer

1) I don't know very much but when I was little my grandmother gave me a golden dollar and said it's supposed to ward off the Dullahans, which are these weird Irish headless horseman fairy things since they're scared of gold so yeah. I still have it somewhere in my room.

2) Thrall/Shaman because I like the versatile and powerful class cards it has, and it has one of the only hero powers that put minions on the board.

3) Cairne Bloodhoof because it's simple but efficient, and also he has the best soundbyte when you play him.

4) Play arena a lot. Best way to get experience and new cards.

5) I think passive roles that do something without sending an action can be interesting but vanillas are lame and I don't like being them.

6) The simple answer is I don't like posting/ reading game threads. Even if you end up doing more talking in some OC game than an NOC game, it's usually just simple back and forth stuff instead of trying to construct a good post.

7) I dunno, play more games. Practice, practice, practice. Also, read some guides, they exist to help players, not because the people writing them feel like wasting a few hours or whatever.

@Paperblade:

1) Just Hearthstone. I have some vague knowledge of other Warcraft titles but no playing experience.

2) Maybe. I was making one in an FFA format fairly recently but I don't know how much I like it.

@Mancer

1) No. If I would do one I would revamp the one I would make. Also I don't like co-hosting that much because I don't like making NOC setups anymore, for the most part, and I don't want to co-host people's OC games because I want to actually play in them if I get the chance- I host a lot of them, at this point.

@kirsche

1) Tables, Snike, Radiant Dragon, and Iris come to mind immediately out of people I used to play with a lot that were fun.

how gay are u

(sorry if I ask something someone else has already asked, if someone's already asked it just direct me to where you answered it. thx rein)

what's your opinion on limited OC games?

what's your least favorite role to play?

if you rolled scum in an OC game but got the choice to be itp or mafia, which would you choose and why? (generally, anyway; i know some of this would depend on the mechanics/setup of the game)

if you rolled scum in an NOC game but got the choice to be itp or mafia, which would you choose and why?

also random bc I'm eating pie but what's your favorite type of pie

(srsly im curious)

also when do you wanna work on CM6

I'm thinking we should just finish the setup ourselves and then run it by Manix afterwards

@SB:

1) If I feel like it, my availability, what the rules of the game are, who is hosting, who is playing. Probably in roughly that order. I would sort of imagine these are things everyone considers signing up for games.

@Via:

0) not at all, sorry.

1) They can be interesting if done right. I think there is a lot of potential to mess them up however, and sometimes limited OC games can be balanced like NOC but also with some OC a bit and that tends to not work great, but it can be a unique and fun gimmick if the type of limited OC is cool and the setup is good.

2) Vanilla townie/mafia, or any negative utility role, because it's not fun to feel like you're having less of an impact on a game (and also I like using roles and night actions). I suppose if we eliminate stuff like that my answer would be vigilante, because very rarely do I have strong confidence in my reads.

3 and 4) ITP for both, by a large margin. ITPs in generally genuinely act more townie, because even when you have an agenda you can look for mafia for real, whereas as mafia I think it's harder to make convincing fake reads than make real reads. Also, I am not ITP in forum mafia games nearly enough, so it's more fun to give something new a try than be mafia again. I suppose one edge to being mafia in NOC games is being able to talk outside the thread, which isn't posting, and I don't like posting, but it's a small edge and I'd rather be a third.

5) Hard choice. You can never go wrong with good old apple, so I guess I'll go with that.

6) I dunno, whenever you want to and I'm available.

also when do you wanna work on CM6

I'm thinking we should just finish the setup ourselves and then run it by Manix afterwards

i was going to suggest this actually

@rein: how strong do you think watcher is? (in both OC and NOC)