Rate the Unit, Day 27: Ewan

Ewan's the last of the trainees you get, and he's a magic user. Already, I think that's better than Amelia because he has innate 1-2 range. He doesn't have to take a counter if he can avoid it. Using a 1-2 range weapon doesn't nuke his AS. He can promote to get a horse.

... However, that is, if he gets there. Because, unless you grind him like mad at the Tower of Valni or seriously baby him, he's really not getting anywhere ... At least he still has 1-2 range

1.5/10, because of that 1-2 range and not having his AS nuked like Amelia trying to use a javelin. I was considering giving him a 2, but perhaps that is too generous.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4/10. Had Ewan been in ch 4 instead of Artur's useless arse, then maybe I'd take the time out to actually train him. I still do (cause SOMEONE's gotta use Gleipnir), but I'd like to have him grow throughout the story instead of slowing the story down just to accommodate him.

10/10 because he was arguably the most useful unit on my Eirika and trainees run because he could actually heal stuff, which let the rest of them actually do stuff on PP.

But for srsrs, 1/10 because he can actually chip and +1 because I like him. So 2/10.

0/10

I guess you could argue he's marginally better than Amelia. But, well, that's saying nothing, and I would argue he isn't. He's more likely to hit than she is, but him hitting still won't do anything, and neither of them are every going anywhere. Tied for worst unit in the game.

Ah Ewan...what to say...

He has the most potential out of the trainee units thanks to the branches. Really, he'll become a better anything than most units: a better sage than Saleh and a better Shaman than Knoll (thank you defense and speed growths!). The only drawback is that he is, of course, a trainee, and a late one at that. Both maps you get him don't put him in the best of scenarios (much like Amelia), especially on Eirika's route. Yes, you do get him on Chapter 12 for both routes, but Ephraim's route has an arena on said chapter and more enemies. Makes getting that ball of growths rolling much easier on his route, but I digress. Hard to get him started, but once you do, you don't ever want to stop, regardless of what route he takes (though I find he's a better Druid, but that's just me).

I'll give him a 5.5/10.

Not to mention roughly every 2 levels (9 in 20, close enough) he'll proc mag and 5 chip will turn into 6 chip. He's also attacking lolmonsters so he'll double soon enough.

how is 5-6 damage at that point in the game good compared to anybody except Amelia

It was honestly more a knock at "hitting res" being in his column of bad things and less Ewan's actual ATK rating.

Anyway, 1/10 because I don't believe in 0/10s and tallying.

EDIT: Putting it here as a post-script: I'm letting Whase's vote stay against my better judgment.

Edited by Integrity

He'll rarely reliably reach 18 magic at level 9 as a Shaman though. That would require 13 points of magic over 17 levels and his growth is only 0.45, he'd be gaining almost twice as much magic as he should on average.

I see. In that case, tremble before my might, mortals:

Ewan   Shaman  Lv9.86 | HP 23 Mag 17 Skl 9 Spd 14 Luck 13 Def 3 Res 10 | Dark C

(so it was 17 magic, shoot me. he's still a killing machine)

Edited by Rambo M

I just realized I forgot to vote.

Though, my reason will be Integs reason.

I vote (pi/2)/10 1.57

Also, count in a 10/10 for 13...we all know that is what he would vote.

Elie, I thank you, but I will rate my own. I came JUST to latevote this. Even it it isn't counted.

Ewan. The controversial draft pick for me.

Now, everything looks all right. At least, if he had his mage Level 1 averages for bases. Hell, why would someone use Shaman when Anima magic pwns in this game?

Now he has a few pros, from a NEUTRAL STANDPOINT

Access to all three magic types in his like 5 con Final form Pupil. Yeah. 5.

Access to a horse (and EIGHT Con.)

Access to Summons

Access to Light and Anima and Staves

Access to Dark and Anima and Staves

Hell... it hurts just trying to justify the 5 I want to give him.

So I will give him a 4 for his uses, because in non-LTC runs, he has uses.

Problem is, he also takes forever to get there.

So 4/10. But Due to my love, he gets the +1, resulting in a

5/10