Ideas? Help? Just missed Armads. Can I try an emulator and hack to recreate my stats instead of restarting the game?

BranmanB

I have Fire Emblem 6 on the GBA. It's (of course) all in Japanese and though I've done okay enough considering I don't know a word of what they're saying, I've encountered a small problem. I just found out that I missed the divine weapon Armads and that I've sentenced myself to the so-called bad ending of the game. I really want to play it in full, including the last few chapters, but I don't want to start from scratch. Playing in Japanese was hard enough the first time around. I know I can look up translations, and try to restart the game but I was hoping there might be a better solution. Is there a way I can use an emulator to recreate my scenario from the GBA (but with Armads)? Is there a way to start from Chapter 14 and recreate my characters as I used them in the game? Or can I at the very least change the characters' levels to avoid grinding and arena abuse like I did in my current play-through? I know there are hacking programs that can edit stats, but they seem to only affect base stats and growth rates, which I don't want to alter. I also don't want to make my characters start at higher levels, because then they'll be too overpowered by the end. If I could change their levels/stats mid-game that would work, but it doesn't seem to be an option. Of course the ideal is a way to import or replicate the data directly but that doesn't seem possible. Any ideas? Thanks!

It seems like the simplest solution would just be to drop the Armads into your inventory with a code or something instead of going through all of the trouble to recreate everything.

kon is correct; the best thing to do would be to just hack armads into your inventory with an action replay code (or something similar)

if you insist on "hacking" the game, the "simplest" (using that term lightly) method would be to copy the memory block that contains your units' stats from memory, save that somewhere, start a new game, use a chapter select code to get to chapter 14, then paste the character memory data back into the correct place

i'm also not entirely sure this won't bug out but it shouldn't

...yeah just hacking armads in sounds preferable

I know what it's like to invest massive time in a FE game, but personally I would just continue with this playthrough and, if you're really interested enough, start a new one for getting all the divine weapons.

But if you really want to do what you suggested, it sounds possible in theory.

Just to clarify though, are you currently playing on a cartridge?

What I would do is use the chapter select code and infinite movement codes (you should be able to search for these online; hint: try GameFAQs) and go hopping through all the chapters, recruiting all your characters and collecting all the required weapons. Then use codes to adjust their stats to your liking.

EDIT

I also removed your two duplicate topics, as we don't usually allow those. If you need them back, just inform a member of staff such as myself.

Edited by VincentASM

Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. I do have the game on the cartridge. I'm thinking of getting a ROM for the sake of using a hack to get Armads. However, I'm not sure if there's a way to transfer or recreate my save files from the cartridge. I don't really have any experience with ROM's or emulators so I'm not sure how exactly to go about doing it. Vincent, you mentioned using codes to alter stats. Is this easy enough to do? Also, can you edit stats at any level or just the base stats/growth rates using codes?

I wasn't playing on a cartridge, but I encountered a similar problem (I missed the last Divine Weapon), and I can confirm that simply using a cheat to put the weapon in your inventory does work for getting the full ending. The game doesn't check whether you actually went to the proper gaiden chapter. This is by FAR the best method for doing what you want to do. If you don't have any experience with ROMs or emulators, there's absolutely no way you'll want to try to recreate your save fie from the ground up.

You probably want an Action Replay for the GBA. It will (most likely) allow you to use a cheat to put Armads in your inventory, and it can also be used to put your game's save file onto your computer if that's the route you want to take.

--Start Transmission--

I wasn't playing on a cartridge, but I encountered a similar problem (I missed the last Divine Weapon), and I can confirm that simply using a cheat to put the weapon in your inventory does work for getting the full ending. The game doesn't check whether you actually went to the proper gaiden chapter.

For the rom if you have nightmare and know how to use it, what about going into the chapter unit editor and changing a unit's loadout to carry the divine weapons? It's a cheap shot seeing as you can get the weapons as early as chapter 1 that way, but why not? It would also be possible to give later recruitable characters the weapons, recruit them in an upcoming chapter and then have it then.

Or can I at the very least change the characters' levels to avoid grinding and arena abuse like I did in my current play-through? I know there are hacking programs that can edit stats, but they seem to only affect base stats and growth rates, which I don't want to alter. I also don't want to make my characters start at higher levels, because then they'll be too overpowered by the end. If I could change their levels/stats mid-game that would work, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

It might be what your NOT looking for, but what about using the class editor nightmare module to change the relative class power to 2 or 1. The lower that stat, the more exp the class in particular gains. It would be much faster then grinding, yet could harm gameplay like you have mentioned you don't want. Just a suggestion.

Well, it's time that I shut up as I feel my ranting is neither useful or welcome. --End Transmission--

Edited by Cpt. Fairfir

If you are playing on a cartridge the absolute most sane solution is to edit your character's inventory in the ram using an action replay so that a single line of code will fix your problem.

If you are stuck editing your battery save, which would require a similar device to begin with, then you will have to deal with updating the checksum. I don't know of anyone who has discovered locations of data within the SRAM for FE6 or how to fix checksums for saves but I imagine it's similar to how it's done in 7. If you have the patience to learn to hack and use my notes to aid you in gathering similar information from FE6, probably using an emulator, then you could use a Nintendo DS AR to hack your GBA save file using a random NDS game as the "dummy" by which to launch the AR's trainer.

Better to just use a GBA cheat device or say "screw it" and let the Armads go.

Good endings are for little girls anyway. Real men just take the bad ending and let their tears feast upon their unmoistened flesh.

Also, playing on the actual cartridge? How? Are you playing it in english w/translation? Is it the japanese rom on a japanese gba?

If you really don't want to use a gamegene code, you can get a rom and use the gamefaqs save by "samurai edge", which includes a file at the beginning of chapter 8(although he probably used different characters).it is second to last on the page: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/563015-fire-emblem-fuuin-no-tsurugi/saves Alternetavly, just get the bad ending, then get the good one on a file where you play the other routes. Keep in mind that 18% of the game's content in inaccessible even on a perfect playthrough due to the route split.(compaired to the 8% that gets missed if you get the bad ending), so you were going to want to play through the game twice anyway to get all of the content(and the illia sacie route split is decided by which characters you've been using, so you would'nt be able to replay through just those 5 chapters without restarting anyway.) You can also play again on hard mode, as getting the bad ending unlocks it. That being said, it you can't read Japanese, the new fan translation is excellent and a joy to play through, so i would recommend restarting just for that.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I may just restart the game. I like a lot of fire emblem players am a complete perfectionist and missing out on the full ending is annoying =P. If I wanted to play the game using an emulator (and in English) would I be better off using a microSD/adapted card to transfer the game or just downloading a ROM from online? I'm not really concerned about the morality/legality factor because I did spend $60 on the game anyway, but I'm a little paranoid about getting a virus on my computer. Is it possible to send me a message, explaining where to (safely) get either of these? Sorry to bother everyone.

Edited by BranmanB

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I may just restart the game. I like a lot of fire emblem players am a complete perfectionist and missing out on the full ending is annoying =P. If I wanted to play the game using an emulator (and in English) would I be better off using a microSD/adapted card to transfer the game or just downloading a ROM from online? I'm not really concerned about the morality/legality factor because I did spend $60 on the game anyway, but I'm a little paranoid about getting a virus on my computer. Is it possible to send me a message, explaining where to (safely) get either of these? Sorry to bother everyone.

Roms are extremely unlikely to have viruses as an emulator is an isolated sandbox environment by nature. (a virus that exploits an emulator bug is possible, but i have never heard of one.) As for emulators, i recommend vba-m. http://vba-m.com/ (the rules prohibit rom links even in PMs, although emulators are perfectly legal and thus okay to link to.)

if you were going to get a virus it'd probably be from clickjacking or whatever on the website, but that doesn't change the fact that roms are still dangerous because you're not supposed to have them