Platinum In-Game Tier List

Smiley Jim

I tried training Budew once, it took forever to evolve. That's essentially the biggest problem with it. Also, Prinplup isn't quite the slowest of the starters.

Well yeah it's not Grotle slow, but sometimes speed comes to play.

As for it evolving slowly, I got it by Soloceon, around the same time I was getting Empoleon. As a note, Budew has stats similar to Prinplup (aside from defense which it's typing and Drain abilities making up for it's missing durability), and likewise keeps up with Empoleon as Roselia. Once Roserade, I suspect a lot more opens up from there.

Also another thing to note, the route before Soloceon you can catch Roselia anyways so you can skip the "messy" happiness evolution if you wish.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budew only has 50 base attack, and draining moves have low power, so saying it's comparable to Prinplup is quite a stretch. Even with Grass Knot it's not doing very well until its evolution. Roselia being capturable in the wild is an option that definitely should be considered, however.

Budew only has 50 base attack, and draining moves have low power, so saying it's comparable to Prinplup is quite a stretch. Even with Grass Knot it's not doing very well until its evolution. Roselia being capturable in the wild is an option that definitely should be considered, however.

Prinplup does not have considerably high power tools himself until Bubblebeam, and neither are really big fans of using physical attacks in the first place.

Following new legislation, Budew has risen from below Goldeen to above Barboach, on the basis that you can catch Roselia on the route after Hearthome city, thereby skipping on the friendship part. Also, Roselia has pretty good matchups in the Pastoria gym, but she isn't going any higher than low C due to grass types being generally poo-poo against the gyms after Crasher Wake, and a lack of Water trainers in between Canalave and Sunyshore(ok, this would normally be a vouch for Turtwig to go down, but Torterra has STAB Earthquake and can use things like Rock Slide.)

Have a nice day.

Edited by Mercenary James

I have to wonder what Magnemite is doing in D tier. It comes like a level away from being a Magneton, you can throw Shock Wave on it, then fly to Coronet to feed it a Rare Candy and bam, you almost instantly have a Magnezone. Magnezone isn't exactly a joke when he shows up at level 31 with nearly 100 Sp Atk. Also sports Magnet Bomb/Flash Cannon, so it has coverage against Rock and the coming Ice gym. Plenty of water trainers around Shinnoh as well. He's also got the Golbats that Galactic loves to use, along with Cyrus's Honchkrow.

Edited by grandjackal

I have to wonder what Magnemite is doing in D tier. It comes like a level away from being a Magneton, you can throw Shock Wave on it, then fly to Coronet to feed it a Rare Candy and bam, you almost instantly have a Magnezone. Magnezone isn't exactly a joke when he shows up at level 31 with nearly 100 Sp Atk. Also sports Magnet Bomb/Flash Cannon, so it has coverage against Rock and the coming Ice gym. Plenty of water trainers around Shinnoh as well. He's also got the Golbats that Galactic loves to use, along with Cyrus's Honchkrow.

Magnet Bomb is physical, and Magnezone's physical atk stat is nothing to write home about. Also, Cyrus's Honchkrow has Heat Wave (admittedly, though, it could probably take one and live).

Edited by Metal King Slime

It can learn Flash Cannon via TM, though.

That works. I don't think Flash Cannon has much in the way of competition either (Empoleon and Lucario are the only other Steels with the Sp. Atk to use it well, IIRC).

That works. I don't think Flash Cannon has much in the way of competition either (Empoleon and Lucario are the only other Steels with the Sp. Atk to use it well, IIRC).

Empoleon has access to Steel Wing which comes earlier and it's ATK stat is quite usable, and Steel is redundant to Fighting offensively speaking. Flash Cannon purely benefits Magnezone as it gives him coverage he formerly didn't have.

Empoleon has access to Steel Wing which comes earlier and it's ATK stat is quite usable, and Steel is redundant to Fighting offensively speaking. Flash Cannon purely benefits Magnezone as it gives him coverage he formerly didn't have.

Good point.

Actually it's a rather terrible point. Empoleon's Atk stat is 86 with his Special Attack being 111.

Of course for some reason no one mentioned he also gets Swords Dance, which is probably the only time you should ever think about Steel Wing. Even then, Water + Steel is mediocre coverage, and teaching it Earthquake means Gible suffers a lot.

It's not exactly a given that we're catching a Gible. Plenty of other great Pokemon that aren't out of the way (even Platinum!Gible). There's heavy competition for this move (Infernape, Empoleon, Machamp, Gallade, Gyarados), as per usual.

Empoleon does get Swords Dance via move relearner, but that doesn't solve its speed problem (Agility is acquired by breeding), unless it attacks exclusively with Aqua Jet, in which case it'll hardly be OHKOing. There's always X Speed, though. Wasn't that the speed run strat for this game? Anyway, with Brick Break, EQ, Waterfall and Drill Peck, a physical Empoleon shouldn't entirely disregarded.

Edited by Espinosa

Actually it's a rather terrible point. Empoleon's Atk stat is 86 with his Special Attack being 111.

Of course for some reason no one mentioned he also gets Swords Dance, which is probably the only time you should ever think about Steel Wing. Even then, Water + Steel is mediocre coverage, and teaching it Earthquake means Gible suffers a lot.

Point taken on Water/Steel not being great coverage.

It's not exactly a given that we're catching a Gible. Plenty of other great Pokemon that aren't out of the way (even Platinum!Gible). There's heavy competition for this move (Infernape, Empoleon, Machamp, Gallade, Gyarados), as per usual.

Empoleon does get Swords Dance via breeding, but that doesn't solve its speed problem (Agility is acquired by breeding), unless it attacks exclusively with Aqua Jet, in which case it'll hardly be OHKOing. There's always X Speed, though. Wasn't that the speed run strat for this game? Anyway, with Brick Break, EQ, Waterfall and Drill Peck, a physical Empoleon shouldn't entirely disregarded.

Actually, it needs to relearn Swords Dance via Heart Scale.

...And now that you mention it, what's the stance on breeding? I'm assuming no go...

Sorry, I meant Move Relearner. Obviously, breeding is very detrimental to efficiency. I wouldn't completely agree that STABs alone determine a unit's coverage. Empoleon has great special and physical moves that it could make great use of.

I thought the only way you could get Earthquake was through the cave. Not to mention Earthquake on a lot of those Pokemon (Infernape, Machamp, Gallade) is a poor choice. Fighting and Rock usually covers what you need to cover. Earthquake is a valid enough point on Gyarados, though.

Empoleon does get Swords Dance via move relearner, but that doesn't solve its speed problem (Agility is acquired by breeding), unless it attacks exclusively with Aqua Jet, in which case it'll hardly be OHKOing. There's always X Speed, though. Wasn't that the speed run strat for this game? Anyway, with Brick Break, EQ, Waterfall and Drill Peck, a physical Empoleon shouldn't entirely disregarded.

Drill Peck is pretty late (52). I'm not sure if that's possible (perhaps with a really condensed team).

Figures breeding would be off the table.

Breeding is never on the table. Breeding itself is pretty damn inefficient.

Edited by Colonel M

Regardless on what we feel about Steel Wing, we can see that Empoleon doesn't care much about Flash Cannon, and has plenty of alternatives as it is. Therefore, Flash Cannon is nearly free to Magnezone.

As for my opinion on Gallade since I am basically testing several mons (Roserade among them, who now that she's Roserade I can say is pretty crazy with Petal Dance. 2HKOs Golbats with it, and they x4 resist), I will say that...I'm kinda iffy on Galade. On one hand, I'm not a fan of catching it early because Kirlia sucks so much that she can still have a difficult time at the fighting gym. On the other hand, catching it late makes it dependent on TMs like Brick Break (Heavily contested, Meditite namely is an earlier and still amazing user of it), and is kind of a one trick pony until it gets Psycho Cut. At that point, THEN it's awesome. That in mind, I feel that B tier might be a bit too generous, or at least should be lower in it. I will be trying out Weavile as well, since I know that the Dusk Stone isn't that far from when you catch it.

Hmmm...Next playthrough, what you guys think I should test out next? I'm thinking I wanna start with Turtwig, get a Meditite, then at some point get a Lickitung for Lickylicky. I'm thinking I'd like a couple midgamers and then another lategamer.

As for breeding, it's bad enough that it's considered we progress as normal just waiting for the eggs to hatch. If we just pretended they hatched immediately, I don't think Riolu would be at the bottom of the barrel.

I thought the only way you could get Earthquake was through the cave. Not to mention Earthquake on a lot of those Pokemon (Infernape, Machamp, Gallade) is a poor choice. Fighting and Rock usually covers what you need to cover. Earthquake is a valid enough point on Gyarados, though.

Breeding is never on the table. Breeding itself is pretty damn inefficient.

Yeah... you'll have to go through the secret part of the cave to get it.

Indeed.

I will be trying out Weavile as well, since I know that the Dusk Stone isn't that far from when you catch it.

Sneasel doesn't evolve with the Dusk Stone; that's Mrukrow and Misdreavus (and neither of those are catchable in Platinum). You need a Razor Claw to evolve Sneasel (and IIRC, it also needs to level up at night while holding it).

Sneasel doesn't evolve with the Dusk Stone; that's Mrukrow and Misdreavus (and neither of those are catchable in Platinum). You need a Razor Claw to evolve Sneasel (and IIRC, it also needs to level up at night while holding it).

Ahhh, well I believe I have that anyways. That's the item you find on the route south of Veilstone, right?

That's the item you find on the route south of Veilstone, right?

That's a Razor Fang. The Razor Claw's found in Team Galactic HQ (in the room where you throw down with Galactic Boss Cyrus for the second time; it's hidden).

That's a Razor Fang. The Razor Claw's found in Team Galactic HQ (in the room where you throw down with Galactic Boss Cyrus for the second time; it's hidden).

Oh. Well, it's still as close as I thought.

...Maybe I'll give Gliscor a run in my next playthrough.

Meditite is pretty desperate without Brick Break though. Unless you teach it Return, I don't know how you plan using it, since its first physical attack is learnt at lv. 29. Surely, you can postpone catching it until Brick Break is available (as well as catch the highest-levelled one you can find), but triple punches through Relearner and even Drain Punch that you could find some situational use for do make Medicham worthwhile. In any case, Gallade's problem isn't that Meditite wants a TM. A thing we should remember with competition for TMs in Pokemon is that having certain duos in your party is very redundant. For example, more than water-type is a bit too much until the roles they play differ considerably (e.g. Gyarados and Gastrodon). We could even go as far and say that training Starly is rather superfluous for Chimchar players, because the two happen to cover the same Pokemon (both fire and flying destroy bugs and grass-types, and both of them, at one point or another, get very good fighting-type coverage).

Touché about EQ and Gible being in the same place. We're still not exactly obliged to catch and train one since there's only so many Pokemon you can trade in an efficient run (not that Gible isn't a good pick by all means, but it shouldn't be assumed that he has to be on one's team).

Breeding in Pokemon efficiency runs, I find, is the Pokemon equivalent of training Amelia, or something. Good outcome if you go for it, but the time and effort aren't justified with so many immediate options available at hand.

Meditite is pretty desperate without Brick Break though. Unless you teach it Return, I don't know how you plan using it, since its first physical attack is learnt at lv. 29. Surely, you can postpone catching it until Brick Break is available (as well as catch the highest-levelled one you can find), but triple punches through Relearner and even Drain Punch that you could find some situational use for do make Medicham worthwhile.

...It's as soon as you get a bike. That's after the second gym pretty much. Why you making it sound like it's an eternity away? Get Bike, go south, go down the mud ramp to Oreburgh, go to Oreburgh gate, go downstairs, use bike, get it, go out and back up the mud ramp and you're back on the road. It has STAB and Pure Power to get behind it. Why would I NOT give him Brick Break, and why you making it sound like it's an eon away?

In any case, Gallade's problem isn't that Meditite wants a TM. A thing we should remember with competition for TMs in Pokemon is that having certain duos in your party is very redundant. For example, more than water-type is a bit too much until the roles they play differ considerably (e.g. Gyarados and Gastrodon). We could even go as far and say that training Starly is rather superfluous for Chimchar players, because the two happen to cover the same Pokemon (both fire and flying destroy bugs and grass-types, and both of them, at one point or another, get very good fighting-type coverage).

While what you're stating is true, what's your point?

Touché about EQ and Gible being in the same place. We're still not exactly obliged to catch and train one since there's only so many Pokemon you can trade in an efficient run (not that Gible isn't a good pick by all means, but it shouldn't be assumed that he has to be on one's team).

Am I the only one that's not really even impressed with Gible in the first place? Dragon Rage is cool, but that's like his only tool for a good amount of time, and at some point it loses it's charm. I also don't recall him...Either he wasn't fast, or wasn't durable. It's been a while.

...Maybe I should use him in my next run. Gliscor and Gible...Any lategame mons you guys can suggest? No trade mons, my router and internet provider doesn't allow WEP. Otherwise, I'd totally try out Magmortar.

I don't know what you do/don't have an opinion on, so try something you have no/very little opinion on, I guess.