I hope Archers get a buff in this game.

depends on the game

if archers double and mages don't double, then archers are better at ranged attacking (duh) and can be designed this way.

Not easy to ensure that unless weapons, skills, or both play a substantial role in ability to double.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not easy to ensure that unless weapons, skills, or both play a substantial role in ability to double.

Think FE12. Mages had a much lower SPD base compared to horsemen or snipers -- like 4-5 less SPD. Linde had rather high SPD growths, even by FE12 standards, but not so much larger that she ever overcame that gap with many characters reclassed as horsemen/snipers SPD-wise (and she is probably the best case scenario). This made mages much less prone to doubling, especially in H3, while horsemen doubled more frequently (the 29/30 SPD cap for sniper/horsemen helped too).

The problem with the above system is that you need most unpromoted characters to have 0-3 RES base with 0-10% growth and promoted characters to have 3-6 RES for it to work at all well. Mages, even with this in place, a 30 MAG cap, and decent MAG growth (40% usually, with up to 60% for Mal), were probably weaker offensively overall since they couldn't ORKO without doubling like fast bowmen could, but had staves to compensate. FE13 appears to have characters with actual RES, so this system probably wouldn't work. And realistically, mages have terrible durability, which traditionally limits their 1 range and EP capability, while archers are usually more durable (think Lucius durability in FE7 versus Wil, who had around Raven's durability; Rebecca was more frail than many FE archers, but even she was somewhat durable compared to Lucius).

The problem with 2-3 range (although I heavily support it, it proved nice in FE10) is mainly the branched promotion in this game. In order to make the likely sniper option viable compared to ranger, I think it kind of needs the 2-3 option (with crit) while the ranger doesn't. This either means:

1) Archers only have 2 range, which means that if they implement a low base archer this time, it won't be used often.

2) Archers get 2-3 range, but choosing ranger means they give that up for a horse and sword, while choosing sniper means they keep it and get a crit bonus. Losing something on promotion seems weird, though.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

And what is that distinct role? Ranged attacking? Mages do it better

Mages have worse durability anyway, so at least Archers are quite better at that. They can also pick out other mages, units with bad def and flying units, so unless you wanna spend uses on stuff like excalibur( if it exists in this game), archers actually have some use. Oh yeah, FE10, 11 and 12 made mages quite slow, so yeah, archers would be better in that case.

In fact having 2-3 range sounds better for them than 1 range, because now they're more effective at attacking from range than mages( and can actually take out mages without counters)

In fact, mages are worth using for taking out high def enemies like Generals, and maybe few Paladins which have some defence.

I don't see why they couldn't counter at Range 1 like the Laguz do untransformed or Priests but LOL Priests doing damage with a Staff. Like Counter=ATK/3 + Bow Effect.

And by Bow Effect I mean like the staff effects in FE10, though I'm not sure what benefits, though they would be purely defensive disregarding a 'Blade Bow' which reduces the Counter attack penalty to 1.5

Again, they would not be able to ATTACK at Range 1, they would be able to counter, and it wouldn't be effective as a counter method so it's more like a last resort

2-3 range is a definite though the 'Long' bow series should be 2-4 or 3-5, Crossbows can return with their calculations tweaked potentially, to give them an alternative range 1 method, and finally a 'Double Bow' ultimate weapon for the end game.

Like FE10 the rang bonuses (and Crossbows) should be unique to the Archer classline, Mounted archers get the benefit of a Canto horse and (upon promotion) a Melee weapon.

I was going to add that the 'Blade Bow' would be the dumbest weapon ever, then you reminded me that Pit uses one, probably someone else.

"Whats this"

"A blade bow"

"It looks totally stupid"

"It totally is"

Archers have Bows for a reason... so we can attack something at close range without getting counter-attacked! Same with some units can't attack indirectly (i.e. non-magic swords)

How about the swordbow (D&D)? Basically, by some obscure magic it can transform back and forth between a sword and a bow (as a free action, no less) thus allowing you attack both up close and at a distance. We can have swordbow users, which is effectively like 1-2 range since they can use either/or.

How about the swordbow (D&D)? Basically, by some obscure magic it can transform back and forth between a sword and a bow (as a free action, no less) thus allowing you attack both up close and at a distance. We can have swordbow users, which is effectively like 1-2 range since they can use either/or.

Look, Wil! The swordbow was right next to the emo boy with a gunblade!

No, don't take it! It's guarded by an effeminate angel with a headband!

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania