Translation patches

VincentASM

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what emulator you're using on your (ipod?) touch, but the safest option is probably to hard patch (see the first page of this topic), so that you get a ROM with the patch's effects permanently in place (and you no longer need to worry about moving the patch along with the ROM).

As for your troubles with "getting" a working English patch, I'm assuming you've got the patch (which is linked in this topic), but are having difficulty applying it?

If you're not already doing so, I recommend testing out the patch on your computer first before trying it elsewhere. Other things to check:

1. How large is your ROM in bytes? If it's 4,194,816 bytes exactly, the patch should work fine. If it's a little bit smaller, you'll need to use SNESTool or a similar program to add a header. If it's significantly smaller (eg. just under 3 million bytes), you've got a compressed archive and need to extract the ROM.

2. Is the original ROM definitely the Japanese version? You can compare the title screen with this image and see if it matches exactly.

Edited by VincentASM

• 3 months later...

VincentASM, could you maybe change the 100% to 99%? I incidentally wrote 100% on my main page (which I already changed by the way), but it should be 99%. I think a project is never 100% as perfection can't be reached. And besides, I bring out v1.1 soon.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if I have the audacity to say this, but Vincent, why don't you add The Heroes of Shadow's patch for New Mystery of the Emblem? I mean, it's already on the main site, so I don't see why not here.

And while we're at it, I think it would be appropriate to add FE12 to the translation patches and hacks page description on the general page, where it asks if you want to play FE1-6 in English. Just a small suggestion!

• 1 month later...

The general gray-rule is that so long as no direct-data is in the patch, you're good. Patches are supposed to contain only the changed data between two files. Now, part of that change could be, say, duplicating the level design from one game into another, or copying Yoshi's graphics into another game. That's technically, I suppose, infringing on copy-righted materials.

The translation patches generally contain masses of altered text, often alterations to the existing text routines and codes, and also graphics.

The overall theme is that the patches aren't problematic because they're not attached to the game itself. It's the user who forces the patch data on an actual dump of a game. Now, you can technically makes patches out of anything, since it's just copies of data. For example, the prototype "patch" isn't really a patch as its convention is defined--it changed one game into an entirely different game. Thus why the file is so huge. Huge chunks of the prototype are in the patch.

----

If you're asking, are you going to be in trouble for it, then no. Unless you're going to somehow steal profits, it's nothing the corporations worry over. Actually, several developers have praised fan translations and their translators, and even hire these fans to work on projects (Tomato is a rather notable fan translator who's in this position).

• 3 weeks later...

Not necessarily. It also depends on your country's stance on copyrighted material and pirating. I think (though may be out of date) that there it is technically legal for you to archive your own copies of the game for personal safety (U.S.). But I also seem to remember that being overridden by another clause somewhere else.

Essentially, no, pretty much (for most western countries) having a ROM is altogether illegal because it is a copy of something you didn't pay for completely ignoring how stupid that idea is

Now, are you gonna get fucked over for playing or having a ROM dump of a game? Not really. Unless you're making profits off the sales of the pirated copies (and a sizable amount) then you're fine. If you somehow are caught by the law, I think could only be tried if the amount of illegal copies was worth more than $1000 USD.

Edited by Celice

• 1 month later...

I can't get fe5's english patch to work, it just leaves a black screen and "Chksum_fail"

What do I do?

Never mind, I found the jap version of the rom.

Edited by Silver Harpoon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm experiencing some problems with patching the FE1 ROM. The unpatched ROM will play fine in any emulator, but patching it has proven unsuccessful in NEStopia, NEStron, and FCE Ultra. In the latter two emulators, I get an error message along the lines of "Mapper 170 unsupported"; in NEStopia it just gives me "CPU jammed" as the error message. I've been hard-patching it with LunarIPS, as I have yet to discover an NES emulator that supports soft-patching. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Which version of FCEUltra are you using? Nestopia is ancient man D: And soft-patching should be supported for that emulator... though regardless, which translation are you using? There's a couple for FE1. Since the mapper seems to have changed with the patch, were you supposed to expand the ROM before applying the patch? The mapper could have been changed so the game can access a larger range of data.

Even if it's a response to the other post that was like a month old...

They aren't. The supports for FE6 are all finished. Where'd you get the 95% from?

Probably with this:

There are supports that are just plain screwed up.

Which version of FCEUltra are you using? Nestopia is ancient man D: And soft-patching should be supported for that emulator... though regardless, which translation are you using? There's a couple for FE1. Since the mapper seems to have changed with the patch, were you supposed to expand the ROM before applying the patch? The mapper could have been changed so the game can access a larger range of data.

Ah, my bad. It's FCEUX, ver. 2.0. I think I'd tried soft-patching, at the start, but I might have skimmed over it with this emulator, so I'll try again. I'm using Quirino's translation, the one provided at the beginning of this thread. I don't know anything about ROM expansion, but from the searches I've done just now it looks like a rather involved process for NES ROMs in particular.

ETA: Okay, turns out I'm just really stupid. The original ROM I'd downloaded appeared to be Chinese (perhaps a pirated copy) and despite having taken a year's worth of Japanese, I didn't notice the difference... here I was wondering why there was so much kanji in the game. I've since downloaded a proper version and everything works perfectly. Thanks for the help, anyway. XD;

Edited by Kyusil

Awesome :) And I'm actually sure that the Chinese version is a really hacked-up Japanese version. The text has that pirate-y feel but the gameplay and animations aren't as choppy. They probably just implemented their own text routines and stuff. I forget the name of the pirate group that the Chinese version reminds me of... Wai-Xing? They do all the cool pirates, like Chrono Trigger on the NES, and windows95 on the NES too XD

• 4 weeks later...

The "project page" link to Sword of Seals goes to a page which claims to be July 24, 2008, Prologue 100%, and Tutorial 100%.

The link on that project page to downloads goes to a 2.0 version which claims to be August 26, 2005, Prologue 0%, and Tutorial 100%.

The "download patch" link to Sword of Seals goes to a 2.1 version which claims to be July 17, 2006, Prologue 100%, and Tutorial 95%.

It's not exactly clear which is the latest version, although I would guess that the 2.1 is latest and that 2008 date is just wrong.

Edited by arromdee