Killing the Black Knight in 3-7

give haar a hammer

possibly forge weapons for your other units who can survive getting hit by the black knight

have a physic staff nearby if possible

have transformed reyson nearby so he can refresh haar after he attacks and is physic'd

this probably won't work, nor does it give a clear direction, but it's what i... attempted? rhys and mist were both gone in my run so i couldn't use physic nor had i forged weapons but if I had done all this it would've worked

i'm pretty sure there's no actual point to doing this, but it's a nice challenge

give haar a hammer

possibly forge weapons for your other units who can survive getting hit by the black knight

have a physic staff nearby if possible

have transformed reyson nearby so he can refresh haar after he attacks and is physic'd

this probably won't work, nor does it give a clear direction, but it's what i... attempted? rhys and mist were both gone in my run so i couldn't use physic nor had i forged weapons but if I had done all this it would've worked

i'm pretty sure there's no actual point to doing this, but it's a nice challenge

I'm worried Haar might be too slow and get doubled, but that might just be me underestimating his speed. We should also consider how many turns it'll take to kill him and how we can get to him fast enough. I'm thinking Ranulf with BEXP riggery could do a lot of damage if you gave him Strength, Speed and probably Defense, although maybe that BEXP would just be better spent on Haar. Do you even get a Physic staff at that point? Maybe I just missed it, but I don't remember ever having one at that point in the game.

There is, indeed, absolutely no reason to do this (unless you really want that EXP the kill gives, but that doesn't really matter because this probably requires a lot of resources that would be better spent on something else.)

I'm worried Haar might be too slow and get doubled, but that might just be me underestimating his speed. We should also consider how many turns it'll take to kill him and how we can get to him fast enough. I'm thinking Ranulf with BEXP riggery could do a lot of damage if you gave him Strength, Speed and probably Defense, although maybe that BEXP would just be better spent on Haar. Do you even get a Physic staff at that point? Maybe I just missed it, but I don't remember ever having one at that point in the game.

There is, indeed, absolutely no reason to do this (unless you really want that EXP the kill gives, but that doesn't really matter because this probably requires a lot of resources that would be better spent on something else.)

apparently you can get the physic staff in the shop at 3-6 so it is possible to have it

i was playing on easy mode and haar got doubled by the black knight but he could live through it

if you like toss nihil on him give him all the bexp and use physic and all that shit it just might work

but there's probably an easier and more efficient way to do it

i've never actually used ranulf much in radiant dawn so i'm not sure, but from what i've seen it's near impossible to hurt him in this chapter without a hammer

Edited by maybe

apparently you can get the physic staff in the shop at 3-6 so it is possible to have it

i was playing on easy mode and haar got doubled by the black knight but he could live through it

if you like toss nihil on him give him all the bexp and use physic and all that shit it just might work

but there's probably an easier and more efficient way to do it

i've never actually used ranulf much in radiant dawn so i'm not sure, but from what i've seen it's near impossible to hurt him in this chapter without a hammer

I don't think it makes a difference what mode you're playing on, since the Black Knight always has the same stats (I'm pretty sure, anyway). In fact, it might be easier to kill him on Hard, as that removes the weapon triangle disadvantage of Hammer VS Alondite, although that would also make it harder to get to him, giving us less turns to work with.

Alright, so I think we've concluded Haar is the best unit for the job. So, the strategy is:

Lure out Black Knight, attack with Hammer, canto out of there, use Physic (have Mist and Rhys on board), attack with Hammer again next Player Phase, canto, Physic, Galdr, repeat. Would using a magic unit be like Soren be a good idea? The BK only has 30 Res IIRC, so Soren with a forged tome, especially at Tier 3, could definitely leave a pretty big scratch although it'd probably get him killed when BK counter attacks.

Edited by kantoorfarina

well soren could definitely hurt him if he was tier 3 and had a forged tome but it's probably pretty tough to have him at tier 3 at that point and the counterattack would definitely kill him

he could land the last blow if haar can't finish him off but i don't see much reason to use him otherwise

well soren could definitely hurt him if he was tier 3 and had a forged tome but it's probably pretty tough to have him at tier 3 at that point and the counterattack would definitely kill him

he could land the last blow if haar can't finish him off but i don't see much reason to use him otherwise

I'm sure you can get Soren to tier 3 by then on Normal and possibly Hard, although it would require a lot of resources that would be better spent on Haar or Ranulf so it's not a very good strategy overall.

Okay, so if we use BEXP to cap Ranulf's Strength, Defense and Speed:

36 Strength compared to the Black Knight's 40 Defense. That's actually very impressive, he could do a good deal of damage, although not as much as Hammer Haar. 32 Defense compared to the Black Knight's 38 Strength. Coupled with Ranulf's 55 HP, i'm sure he'll be able to survive a hit. Here's the best part: 40 Speed compared to the Black Knight's 30! He'll be able to double him!

I think Ranulf is definitely worth bringing along with Haar. They should be able to take him out in 5 turns, maybe 4.

Edited by kantoorfarina

I took him out easily with Shinon. I can't even remember what level he was, I think like 7, but he's the best one to take him down honestly. And if you don't finish him off with Shinon. Hammers usually don't work as well because of its weakness against swords, unless you get lucky. Not even Haar is very good with it against the Black Knight.

I took him out easily with Shinon. I can't even remember what level he was, I think like 7, but he's the best one to take him down honestly. And if you don't finish him off with Shinon. Hammers usually don't work as well because of its weakness against swords, unless you get lucky. Not even Haar is very good with it against the Black Knight.

Unless Shinon is maxed and at tier 3, he can't really do anything that Ranulf or Haar can't. Maybe if you did somehow get him to tier 3 by now and gave him the Silencer (you have the silencer at this point, right? if not, just a forged bow.) he could be a decent chip damage unit, but I don't think there's any way to solo the BK with him. Hammers require a bit of rng abuse, but they're far more effective than any other weapon you could use.

Unless Shinon is maxed and at tier 3, he can't really do anything that Ranulf or Haar can't. Maybe if you did somehow get him to tier 3 by now and gave him the Silencer (you have the silencer at this point, right? if not, just a forged bow.) he could be a decent chip damage unit, but I don't think there's any way to solo the BK with him. Hammers require a bit of rng abuse, but they're far more effective than any other weapon you could use.

Yeah I had Silencer and he was a Marksman. But he was definitly below level 10 I remembered and I took him out with Deadeye.

Yeah I had Silencer and he was a Marksman. But he was definitly below level 10 I remembered and I took him out with Deadeye.

The Black Knight has Nihil (If he didn't we could just have Ranulf rig Rend and he could get 1RKO'd), so Deadeye shouldn't work. Are you sure you aren't thinking of something else?

Edited by kantoorfarina

Doesn't Nihil affect Wrath? Also, Ike can't use the Hammer in 3-7.

Ah, you're right. Hmm. Would 2 hits from Haar kill the Black Knight or would it weaken him to the point where Ike with a forged Steel sword can finish him off? I want to kill the Black Knight with Ike for the special dialogue.

Ike does 1 damage to the BK with a steel sword forge and capped strength, it requires a lot of exact damage to get him down to 1 HP. Haar with 35 Str brings the BK down to 2 HP with a galdr, then you need a unit with 41 atk.

If possible, you could also try:

a) using Parity if it circumvents the Alondite bonus (don't know, doubt it)

b) equipping the BK with an iron sword in 3-6

Edited by Gradivus.

Ike does 1 damage to the BK with a steel sword forge and capped strength, it requires a lot of exact damage to get him down to 1 HP. Haar with 35 Str brings the BK down to 2 HP with a galdr, then you need a unit with 41 atk.

If possible, you could also try:

a) using Parity if it circumvents the Alondite bonus (don't know, doubt it)

b) equipping the BK with an iron sword in 3-6

Oh, wow. Ike doesn't do nearly as much damage as I thought.

the BK doesn't just re-equip Alondite at the start of the chapter? I assumed he'd do that. Hmm. If Haar attacks the Black Knight once with a Hammer, then Ranulf attacks and we have Reyson use the Galdr on him instead, would Ike be able to finish him off assuming he still hadn't equipped Alondite, or would that just kill him?

I highly doubt Parity works, but I suppose I could try that.

If Haar + 4x Ranulf kills the black knight is a matter of exact damage. I'm too lazy to do the math, but you just need to get them to specific str values to bring the BK within killing range for Ike.

Edited by Gradivus.

If Haar + 4x Ranulf kills the black knight is a matter of exact damage. I'm too lazy to do the math, but you just need to get them to specific str values to bring the BK within killing range for Ike.

Hm. Say, with the Black Knight at 2 HP, couldn't we have someone like Shinon do an extra 1 damage for Ike to finish off the Black Knight?