Localization vs Original

Tolvir

Saw this over on Reddit, and thought everyone would like to see this over here. Its an analyzation of Hoshido chapter 7 between localization and the original. pretty interesting.

• The title of the chapter in the Original is "A Gathering of Spirits". It is now "A Vow Upheld"

• Fort Tenjin > Fort Jinya

• When Corrin greets Sakura, she's thankful for his help since they're understaffed, she only thanks him for coming in the original.

• Hana and Subaki introduce themselves to Corrin in their first line. In the original Sakura does it for them (worst retainers ever?)

• Corrin talks about how he'll have plenty of time to get to know them but is cut off by Azura's warning. In the original, he only says they seem trustworthy, then Azura comes in.

• When Azura tells Corrin there's a problem, he snarks in a "here we go again" sense, Azura gets a light snark of her own in response. In the original, he asks her what's wrong.

• In the original, Sakura panics and is worried because there are injured people there. In the localization, Sakura gets somewhat angry at Nohr because the fort they are in is more like a hospital and thus there are no military targets for the Nohrians, and asks why they aren't left in peace.

• Subaki suggests to Sakura that she can stay and tend to the wounded. In the original, it comes off as more of a "demand"

• In the original, Subaki seems a bit more Gung ho to kill the Nohrians. Subaki talks about how'll he'll have them quickly buried in the ground. In the localization he merely says he and the rest will resolve the situation.

• Corrin makes a quip about how their bonds will form faster on the battlefield. In the original he asks if Subaki and Hana will really fight with him

• In the original. Hana proclaims herself as the "Lead Retainer" while Subaki asserts that such a title belongs to him. Hana argues that since she is Sakura's bestie then she is better fit to lead. Subaki calls her out on such logic before berating her for adressing Sakura so casually.

• The localization takes it a different way. After Hana proclaims herself the "Lead Retainer", Subaki responds by giving himself a more prestigious title, the "Supervising Retainer". Hana says such a title doesn't exist, which Subaki throws back to her face. Hana say's she's the lead because she's Sakura's bestie, while Subaki responds that his abilities in battle trumps that. Hana then asks if that's his excuse for skipping out on all his other duties before Corrin interjects.

• Sakura calls them both juvenile and reassures Corrin that they can really fight, in the original she just apologizes and calls herself useless for some reason.

• In the original, Subaki says he'll execute his enemies perfectly and Corrin pipes in with a "sounds good!"(Jesus Christ, Corrin!) In the localization, they cut out the killing part, because Jesus, Corrin! Damn! You JUST left Nohr!

• Azura says they must take out the enemies to protect the wounded. No such mention of the latter in the original

• Silas expresses disbelief that Corrin is really from Hoshido in the original, this doesn't happen in the localization.

• Corrin immediately dismisses Silas' assertion that they were friends as a trick. In the original, he tries to remember him.

• Interestingly, in the original, Corrin gets one brief line when he confronts Silas. In the localization, he reaffirms that he doesn't remember his past. Silas pleads with him to come back to Nohr, and Corrin is given another line where he says he's too far past the point of no return.

• An even more noticeable change is when Silas was talking about his time with Corrin in his youth. In the original, he says he took him out, then he got caught, that was that. In the localization, he goes to talk about how he set up a picnic with Corrin's favorite food "surf and turf". Interestingly, they have a similar conversation in Conquest, but there, he says Corrin's favorite meal was "vegetable tofu"(or something like that, point is it was something else.) A nice little touch. though I don't quite get the implications...

• Corrin still only vaguley remembers Silas even after his speech. In the original, he implies he remembered him much more clearly.

• Kaze asks Saizo if he's joking about Ryoma/Takumi's disappearance. Saizo affirms sarcastically. In the original Kaze asks if the reports was true, Saizo responds "does this look like the time for jokes!?"

• Sakura cries like a punk bitch in the original. American Sakura is hardcore

• Corrin agrees with Kaze that Sakura should stay behind, but Azura guilt trips him into letting her tag along. In the original, he just says "Sakura..." before Azura guilts him

• Orochi expresses surprise at Saizo's compliance and her portrait is a smile. In the original, she tells him to stop being so racist, and her portrait is one of anger.

credit to NeptuniasBeard for all this. here is the link to the original: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/44k55y/differences_between_the_localization_and_the_fan/

As much flak as Treehouse is getting over the various controversies, they really aren't doing that bad of a job. At least the characters feel more real than before.

Edited by Tolvir

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I like most of the changes they've made, by the sounds of it. Seems like they've taken small liberties with the localisation and I'm always interested to see how that turns out. Hope someone does one for Conquest sometime in the future.

I approve of all of these, especially the ones to Sakura. Sounds like she's still innocent, but is more capable of carrying out her duties.

It's kind of funny though. Going by this, Japanese Corrin seems very unbalanced, like he's meek one moment and gung ho about slaughtering Nohrians the next. I guess English Corrin got his head on straight.

Of course, being upset as a teenage girl, who recently saw her mother brutally murdered in front of her and now stands to lose both of her brothers, is "crying like a punk bitch". God forbid anyone ever show emotions other than rage and anger, that's just weak.

I am really not a fan of this change. Sakura in the original was extremely shy, to the point that you could call it social anxiety (although I don't diagnose fictional characters), but she still had plenty of moments where she showed strength. In this very chapter even, yes she cries at first, but then insists that she be taken along. Over the protestations of almost anyone else. She isn't sure of how much she can do, but she still wants to try anyway. I found that great.

But of course, removing realistic character flaws now counts as "improving" them.

Of course, being upset as a teenage girl, who recently saw her mother brutally murdered in front of her and now stands to lose both of her brothers, is "crying like a punk bitch". God forbid anyone ever show emotions other than rage and anger, that's just weak.

I am really not a fan of this change. Sakura in the original was extremely shy, to the point that you could call it social anxiety (although I don't diagnose fictional characters), but she still had plenty of moments where she showed strength. In this very chapter even, yes she cries at first, but then insists that she be taken along. Over the protestations of almost anyone else. She isn't sure of how much she can do, but she still wants to try anyway. I found that great.

But of course, removing realistic character flaws now counts as "improving" them.

I consider it improving because it shows her with a greater level of maturity, even in the midst of everything that's happened. Granted, I'm partly sick and tired of the "meek little girl" trope the Japanese love to write about.

Localized Sakura seems to be capable of voicing her own opinions better, and she shows strength more often instead of only at certain points.

I consider it improving because it shows her with a greater level of maturity, even in the midst of everything that's happened. Granted, I'm partly sick and tired of the "meek little girl" trope the Japanese love to write about.

Localized Sakura seems to be capable of voicing her own opinions better, and she shows strength more often instead of only at certain points.

Yes, but even if you are sick of the trope, that doesn't mean one has to change the character just to carter to that. I am sure there are many people who dislike the "gentle giant" trope that Benoit embodies, or the "cute and psycho" trope that Prieri does. But then there are also people who like those character types, so changing them displeases these fans. So you can't argue that the change is universally good.

Personally, I do not mind the "meek little girl" trope so long as they still contribute to the plot in their way and do have their personal achievements and strengths.

Also, as someone who has struggled with extreme shyness myself, I do like seeing a character deal with something similar and still achieve things. I think that's worth more than someone who never has to struggle for it and can just display strength whenever.

I approve of all of these, especially the ones to Sakura. Sounds like she's still innocent, but is more capable of carrying out her duties.

It's kind of funny though. Going by this, Japanese Corrin seems very unbalanced, like he's meek one moment and gung ho about slaughtering Nohrians the next. I guess English Corrin got his head on straight.

They did say in her description that she is a little stubborn and never backing down from anything. Sounds like Maria who is sick and tired of being helpless. Not that Clerics ever were in the medieval world.

No original script for him either...?! Sorry, don't know such things as seen nothing about that on wiki and not using the fan translation for. But...it's nice to know that our Corrin makes better sense and is more likeable that Japan's.

She still shows that in her half skinship supports/supports at the very least!

I've never seen her back down from anything. Is why that she is loved alot by many fans.

I've never seen her back down from anything. Is why that she is loved alot by many fans.

Exactly which is why the change was unnecessary and just for the people who never bothered to look at Sakura as anything more than a meek little girl that has to be changed. She was already much more in japanese version, it just wasn't in your face about it as much as the English version.

Saw this over on Reddit, and thought everyone would like to see this over here. Its an analyzation of Hoshido chapter 7 between localization and the original. pretty interesting.

• The title of the chapter in the Original is "A Gathering of Spirits". It is now "A Vow Upheld"

• Fort Tenjin > Fort Jinya

• When Corrin greets Sakura, she's thankful for his help since they're understaffed, she only thanks him for coming in the original.

• Hana and Subaki introduce themselves to Corrin in their first line. In the original Sakura does it for them (worst retainers ever?)

• Corrin talks about how he'll have plenty of time to get to know them but is cut off by Azura's warning. In the original, he only says they seem trustworthy, then Azura comes in.

• When Azura tells Corrin there's a problem, he snarks in a "here we go again" sense, Azura gets a light snark of her own in response. In the original, he asks her what's wrong.

• In the original, Sakura panics and is worried because there are injured people there. In the localization, Sakura gets somewhat angry at Nohr because the fort they are in is more like a hospital and thus there are no military targets for the Nohrians, and asks why they aren't left in peace.

• Subaki suggests to Sakura that she can stay and tend to the wounded. In the original, it comes off as more of a "demand"

• In the original, Subaki seems a bit more Gung ho to kill the Nohrians. Subaki talks about how'll he'll have them quickly buried in the ground. In the localization he merely says he and the rest will resolve the situation.

• Corrin makes a quip about how their bonds will form faster on the battlefield. In the original he asks if Subaki and Hana will really fight with him

• In the original. Hana proclaims herself as the "Lead Retainer" while Subaki asserts that such a title belongs to him. Hana argues that since she is Sakura's bestie then she is better fit to lead. Subaki calls her out on such logic before berating her for adressing Sakura so casually.

• The localization takes it a different way. After Hana proclaims herself the "Lead Retainer", Subaki responds by giving himself a more prestigious title, the "Supervising Retainer". Hana says such a title doesn't exist, which Subaki throws back to her face. Hana say's she's the lead because she's Sakura's bestie, while Subaki responds that his abilities in battle trumps that. Hana then asks if that's his excuse for skipping out on all his other duties before Corrin interjects.

• Sakura calls them both juvenile and reassures Corrin that they can really fight, in the original she just apologizes and calls herself useless for some reason.

• In the original, Subaki says he'll execute his enemies perfectly and Corrin pipes in with a "sounds good!"(Jesus Christ, Corrin!) In the localization, they cut out the killing part, because Jesus, Corrin! Damn! You JUST left Nohr!

• Azura says they must take out the enemies to protect the wounded. No such mention of the latter in the original

• Silas expresses disbelief that Corrin is really from Hoshido in the original, this doesn't happen in the localization.

• Corrin immediately dismisses Silas' assertion that they were friends as a trick. In the original, he tries to remember him.

• Interestingly, in the original, Corrin gets one brief line when he confronts Silas. In the localization, he reaffirms that he doesn't remember his past. Silas pleads with him to come back to Nohr, and Corrin is given another line where he says he's too far past the point of no return.

• An even more noticeable change is when Silas was talking about his time with Corrin in his youth. In the original, he says he took him out, then he got caught, that was that. In the localization, he goes to talk about how he set up a picnic with Corrin's favorite food "surf and turf". Interestingly, they have a similar conversation in Conquest, but there, he says Corrin's favorite meal was "vegetable tofu"(or something like that, point is it was something else.) A nice little touch. though I don't quite get the implications...

• Corrin still only vaguley remembers Silas even after his speech. In the original, he implies he remembered him much more clearly.

• Kaze asks Saizo if he's joking about Ryoma/Takumi's disappearance. Saizo affirms sarcastically. In the original Kaze asks if the reports was true, Saizo responds "does this look like the time for jokes!?"

• Sakura cries like a punk bitch in the original. American Sakura is hardcore

• Corrin agrees with Kaze that Sakura should stay behind, but Azura guilt trips him into letting her tag along. In the original, he just says "Sakura..." before Azura guilts him

• Orochi expresses surprise at Saizo's compliance and her portrait is a smile. In the original, she tells him to stop being so racist, and her portrait is one of anger.

credit to NeptuniasBeard for all this. here is the link to the original: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/44k55y/differences_between_the_localization_and_the_fan/

As much flak as Treehouse is getting over the various controversies, they really aren't doing that bad of a job. At least the characters feel more real than before.

Made my day xDDDDDDDDDDD

Thought i like the fact she's still shy, and maybe it's better if they changed a bit? If someone watch anime then they would think about secound Inoue Orihime lol

You might be right, i liked Xander/Sakura support cause she was that shy, i wonder if this support will stay close to the JAP original. :x

Edited by Eriotto

I agree with Nanima.

I much preferred original Sakura. Yes, she needs to show maturity in war and yes, the 'meek little girl' trope is really overused. But Sakura is a child or a young teen at best. God forbid she gets sad over the fact both her older brothers could be killed.

I thought this was going to be another whining fest about localization changes.

Safe to see that I was wrong. Outside of *ahem* "surf and turf", I'm a.o.k with everything else.

Sakura cries like a punk bitch in the original. American Sakura is hardcore

American Script wins.

in all seriousness, I really like the Localisation so far! It's amazing!

Edited by ChocolaChao

Hey, first post after a year or so of lurking!

I'm personally okay with this change, mostly because her being angry rather than scared is actually more characteristic of a combat medic than a shy little girl.

Which she is, by the way.

Yes, she is generally portrayed as a shy person in the story, but one thing I really like about this localization is that when she is in the middle of the action, she goes into a bit of a zone. She's focused on her duty as a medic, and ignores her meek tendencies so she can do her job. JUST like a real combat medic. I'm really happy with this change.

And other than that, hell yeah I'm excited for this. These changes look great.

Are they getting rid of the racism in general or was it only Saizo's initial racism that was changed?

I don't know, Hinoka does say Norian Scum in chapter 6, but that could be just the situation since the events that had just occurred in chapter 5. I hope so since in a way it made me dislike Hoshido a bit with how racist and how they didn't care to understand Nohr (Not Garon, but the people of Nohr) situation. It should be about ending Garon's reign, not destroying Nohr because it's not the soldiers/people's fault their king is an asshole. And it always seemed to me that Corrin didn't care about his siblings in Nohr once he switched, could be wrong but that's what it seemed like in the original. Edited by Tolvir