Localized Names

Elinor Cross

So, like em or hate em.

Personally, I like a lot of the localized names revealed so far. The only ones that bug me are Cherche and Panne (I happened to have been read the Velveteen Rabbit when I was a kid and becouse of that I was really happy when I saw the refferance. Sad they changed it).

Personally, I love Liz's name change to Lissa, since I think it sounds cuter, and Ronku's change to Lon'Qu seems to fit him better in my opinion.

I got a kick out of changing Mark's name to Morgan though. It's kinda hard to explain why I thought it was funny but I thought it was definately really funny.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally welcome our new robot overlords the new names.

Some leave me baffled, like Serge to Cherche, or Callum to Kellam. Even so, I like them.

I ESPECIALLY like the Morgan thing they did. It's pretty much unisex (although I can't not think of Morgan from the Arthurian legends), it's a really nice name.

Also, I'm glad they kept Anna (for obvious reasons) and Lucina. Those two wouldn't have been the same without those names.

I liked the Velvetine Rabbit, too, and I can't look at Panne without thinking of bread or windows. Cherche is okay, sounds more feminine.

Robin as default for MU doesn't bug since I can change it, but I liked the FE7 reference with Mark. (I did in fact call my female tactician Mark, thank you)

I personally welcome our new robot overlords the new names.

Some leave me baffled, like Serge to Cherche, or Callum to Kellam. Even so, I like them.

I ESPECIALLY like the Morgan thing they did. It's pretty much unisex (although I can't not think of Morgan from the Arthurian legends), it's a really nice name.

Also, I'm glad they kept Anna (for obvious reasons) and Lucina. Those two wouldn't have been the same without those names.

Yeah. I was really glad when they didnt change Lucina's name. Lucina fits her perfectly and I woulda been pretty upset if they changed it.

I personally think the name changes are good, and brilliant. For the most part.

The one I have the most problem with, is Ylisse and Plegia.

Ylisse looks more "Engrish" than Iris.

And Plegia makes me think of "Paraplegia".

Otherwise, I'd say they did a good job so far.

I personally think the name changes are good, and brilliant. For the most part.

The one I have the most problem with, is Ylisse and Plegia.

Ylisse looks more "Engrish" than Iris.

And Plegia makes me think of "Paraplegia".

Otherwise, I'd say they did a good job so far.

bet you wont be saying that if they give Olivia a really dumb name

I dont have a problem with Ylisse myself (aside from vocally sounding odd) but Plegia and the Varmese names make me cringe. Plegia becouse the same thing as you and Varmese (or Varm) becouse it sounds to close to Vietnamese (it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the screenshot with the soldier called a Varmese soldier).

So Morgon is the actual english name for MU's kid? Dang,I thought it was just my browser messing up.

Actually, it's said Morgan (and plus, that the same name as the boss from The Binding Blade), and plus, I'm ok and like Ylisse (which its kinda avoid the same name from an implied character Iris from The Blazing Sword) and I like Lon'qu, Chrom, Cherche, and some of the others also.

I dont have a problem with Ylisse myself (aside from vocally sounding odd) but Plegia and the Varmese names make me cringe. Plegia becouse the same thing as you and Varmese (or Varm) becouse it sounds to close to Vietnamese (it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the screenshot with the soldier called a Varmese soldier).

Actually, the official name outside of Japan was called Valm (Valmese), not Varm (Varmese).

Edited by King Marth 64

Lon'qu and Say'ri bother me a bit because having apostrophes in the middle of your name looks kinda weird (and yes, I'm aware of L'Arachel).

Stahl makes me think of Stalin, and Sully reminds me of Monsters Inc, which makes both of those names kinda random and out of place to me.

To me, Ylisse seems like Nintentroll pulling a "how do you pronounce this?"on all of us.

Some of them are good, like Lon'qu and I GUESS Say'ri...

the ones like, Stahl, Morgan*, Valider, and Ylisse(looks ugly, but at least it catches your eye) are fine, but... *sigh*

Now...

Lissa is pointless, Liz was fine(or hell even Lisa)

Cherche(...What is this word)

Panne(...I, What?)

Plegia(Plague...)

Morgan is a special case, as I like the name in this case(But I just don't like that name on principle)

EDIT:OH, SHIII~ Morgan Fey...!

Edited by Soledai

Well in most cases they were pretty meh, like Donnel which I wish they kept Donny. Panne? Velvet is still better.

I'm glad it's Sumia and not Smia other I loved are Lon'qu and Vaike.

Still wondering what my waifu Sariya's localized name's gonna be

Edited by Naui

Sully and plegia are the only two I have a problem with. I like ylisse

Also, to the above poster, chrom calls him donny in dialogue. He calls her Liz in dialogue too even though her name is lissa

Edited by Lord Raven

Actually, it's said Morgan (and plus, that the same name as the boss from The Binding Blade), and plus, I'm ok and like Ylisse (which its kinda avoid the same name from an implied character Iris from The Blazing Sword) and I like Lon'qu, Chrom, Cherche, and some of the others also.

Actually, the official name outside of Japan was called Valm (Valmese), not Varm (Varmese).

Whoops! Can't recall why I typed an O instead of an A.

Personally, I am fine with with what they have done with the names.

Panne(...I, What?)

Definition of PANNE

: a silk or rayon velvet with lustrous pile flattened in one direction —called also panne velvet

: a heavy silk or rayon satin with high luster and waxy smoothness

Origin of PANNE

French, from Old French penne, panne fur used for lining, from Latin pinna feather, wing — more at pen

First Known Use: circa 1794

noa you're so clever

I liked the Velvetine Rabbit, too, and I can't look at Panne without thinking of bread or windows. Cherche is okay, sounds more feminine.

Robin as default for MU doesn't bug since I can change it, but I liked the FE7 reference with Mark. (I did in fact call my female tactician Mark, thank you)

Panné is a type of crushed velvet, so it's still the same reference albeit more opaque

I just hope they change the pronunciation to Lu-see-nuh

Definition of PANNE

: a silk or rayon velvet with lustrous pile flattened in one direction —called also panne velvet

Origin of PANNE

French, from Old French penne, panne fur used for lining, from Latin pinna feather, wing — more at pen

noa you're so clever

Aren't they?

Thanks for that, I feel so learned now, which leads me to the next issue...

How the bloody socks do you pronounce that?

If it's anything like 'Penne the noodle', Then I guess it would be... PAY-NAY? if not could it be Pah-NAY(unlikely)

(I could use google...but I'd rather ask you guys here)

Definition of PANNE

Origin of PANNE

noa you're so clever

Now that is pretty freaking clever.