be honest do you like kamui?

ivanhellsing

do you like kamui ?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. what´s your opinion on him?

• I like him (more like boy I love having low standards)
    • no
    • hell no he is the worst lord EVER he should not exist at all
    • I love him he is teh best lord ever
    • I do not care about him
    • I rather wait for the international release to get a more concrete opinion on him

could you provide some examples as to why you can relate better to Robin than to Corrin

and

do you really want an avatar with no personality at all

Dude

I just said I DON'T relate to either of them were you reading at all ;/

Just because I like Robin better as a character doesn't mean I relate to them. That just means their personality and actions piss me off less than Kamui's do.

And honestly, considering that there have been a fair number of people who've wanted a silent voice option for both English!Robin and Kamui in general, I'd say it's not an unpopular option. Me, I prefer not having an avatar in general but since we have to have one I'd prefer one that doesn't piss me off.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just mute your 3ds.

1) My 3DS is already on mute for everything

2) What the hell does this solve, when people want a silent option they want a silent protagonist. As in, someone who doesn't have any lines.

Edited by Sunwoo

Just mute your 3ds.

Funny.

Honestly I'll admit I like the idea of Avatars, it's just for games like Fire Emblem... I can't see them working perfectly. I liked Robin, but even they're pretty flawed. Would have preferred something dialogue wise like with Dragon Age or Persona tbh...

Just mute your 3ds.

We could also play a kazoo during the dialogue to make Kamui a more slapstick character, but it doesn't really help matters!

Neither Kamui nor Robin were very well implemented. Both suffer from being shoehorned into the spotlight and being universally loved by everyone. Whilst those are part of being the main protagonist, it's not quite as well done as previous lord protagonists. Having such a vocal protagonist with no options means that they generally end up quite generic in order to keep them likeable and as a blank slate.

Games like the Elder Scrolls and Devil Survivor series offered alternative dialogue in a lot of scenarios. It wouldn't necessarily need to change gameplay, but it'd be nice to have a few variants on scenes.

1) My 3DS is already on mute for everything

2) What the hell does this solve, when people want a silent option they want a silent protagonist. As in, someone who doesn't have any lines.

It was a joke. Chill your biscuits.

Personally, I'm okay with having a 'avatar' with a pre-established personality as long as I like the personality.

I personally don't relate to Robin because of the way they respond to people but I relate to Kamui more. I don't think much of the royal dragon thing that much because the the royalty to more than one nation part is a point of conflict for Kamui. They also didn't know they were a dragon like Robin didn't know they were a vessel for Grima. And I don't know if I just messed up pretty badly but my Kamui ended up not being so powerful...way less so than Marx, Takumi, or Ryouma.

Comparing a character to Marx or Ryouma (and Takumi to a lesser degree) will make anyone seem underwhelming. They have good stats and ridiculously powerful ranged weapons in a game that did a lot to nerf ranged swords/lances/axes. And if Kamui turned out poorly, you probably goofed somewhere. In his default class with a +Strength mod, he has 75% str growth.

I'm begining to think that all the Kamui hate is comming from that one infamous support conversation

It was a pretty bad support, even outside of the spiked drink incident. In one line he basically shames her for being physically affectionate (this coming from Mr. Skinship) and treats her like property. There are other questionable supports from Kamui too.

I can see why people hate him/her, but I really don't care

Both suffer from being shoehorned into the spotlight and being universally loved by everyone.

Who doesn't want to be universally loved though!?

Edited by Pixelman

It was a joke. Chill your biscuits.

Biscuits are actually best served warm.

One thing I forgot to mention so I'll include here to legitimatise this post, being able to support everyone does produce a degree of writer's fatigue. It's something I noticed with Awakening, the limited support sets (as in the people with fewer options or non-romantic pairings) tended to be better written. I can imagine it's difficult to produce such a large degree of relationships that go from "you're pretty neat" at A to "let's bang" at S.

Comparing a character to Marx or Ryouma (and Takumi to a lesser degree) will make anyone seem underwhelming. They have good stats and ridiculously powerful ranged weapons in a game that did a lot to nerf ranged swords/lances/axes. And if Kamui turned out poorly, you probably goofed somewhere. In his default class with a +Strength mod, he has 75% str growth.

Let's be real here, I probably did.

I'm just happy that Corrin isn't another amnesiac

Ahh well... n-not for the entire game...~? Hehe, at first don't they start out as one, at least for their entire Hoshido background...

Robin says/does some things I or other people might not have done in those situations, but I don't expect perfection.

More dialogue choices during story events, even if they don't actually impact the outcome, would help remedy that issue at least.

I'm ok with Kamui, I can't say I like them, but I can't say that I hate them either, so its ok, as is the same with Robin, they are in the same level for me.

But as I hasn't played the games already, my opinion can change

I love Kamui's design (except for the comparatively limited options for male Kamui). He so fancy.

Story wise and the like I'm not sure yet. I know he's not the first character in gaming history to have practically everyone praise the ground he walks on so that doesn't bother me much.

Although, I'm interested to see what localization has done with him. They haven't disappointed in that past with tweaking and salvaging the lesser desired traits of certain characters (At least in my opinion).

I can't say I especially like Corrin. Too much player worshipping. I'm not really keen on avatar characters in general, much less having the player character being the absolute main. Hopefully they'll be written better in the localization.

Edited by wumples

No.

Kamui in themselves is a bad character and a bad avatar, but that is something I can overlook if I couldn't care less about the protagonist.

But when the excessive player worship and mechanics like FE Amie are also detrimental to other characters' characterization (especially my favorite ones or those who otherwise have a lot of potentials in the narrative), it has crossed my final line and became something much more personal.

On the plus side, Kamui is a powerful unit gameplay-wise, as with most FE lords.

Corrin has a cool design, turns into a dragon, and is in Smash Bros., so I like them.

I could complain about the story all day but I have practically never enjoyed the story of a JRPG or JSRPG so why bother? I can press the start button, skip the dialogue, and suddenly Corrin is one of the most unique, badass units in the series.

Mixed feelings. I think having Dragon Blood is kinda cool. (Oh please IS, tell us... does Roy have it too? Do you understand where I'm going!!?) And its got good power and potential from what I can tell.
I do have a problem with the decisions Kamui makes. Kamui's dumb, over dramatic, but despite this it gets praised for no reason. People wanna love it, adore it, protect it, yadda yadda. I think it's cute, but only for a story like if you were in Game of Thrones. Kamui doesn't do anything to prove and gain trust and other stuff. I don't see your character earning the respect it deserved.
For a My Unit, I don't have a lot of control, and Kamui goes saying and doing stupid stuff like spiking drinks. Also has one of the worst character customizations for an Avatar based character.

But I hope to see Corrin change in the localization. Maybe Kamui grow on me hopefully. Otherwise I'm gonna struggle taking thing seriously.

Kamui as a character is pretty dumb and unlikable, but I can look past that if he/she is just another character. However, as others have already said, Kamui's role as the glorious, holy protagonist actively exerts a negative impact on many other characters' characterizations, and that's what annoys me the most. So no, I don't like Kamui.

Robin wasn't super relatable or realistic to me either, but being a more likable character imo aside, at least his/her presence in the story wasn't nearly as detrimental to most other characters' development. Also, I just prefer being a tactician or another side character than being THE main character for something like a self-insert, since main character self-inserts often do more bad to a story than good.

Edited by Tsuky

While I don't have an issue with Kamui's base personality or what they try to do themselves in the story (though I am miffed to not have the revolutionizing Nohr from within plotline), I have an issue with how everyone else reacts to Kamui's actions, and especially Takumi's treatment and so many characters would have been improved if their characters don't revolve around Kamui so much.

Kamui's base personality works for their upbringing, but how the world around them reacts to that doesn't.

Corrin has a cool design, turns into a dragon, and is in Smash Bros., so I like them.

I could complain about the story all day but I have practically never enjoyed the story of a JRPG or JSRPG so why bother? I can press the start button, skip the dialogue, and suddenly Corrin is one of the most unique, badass units in the series.

Well outsides of the whole "i never liked JRPG stories" thing, this is more or less my opinion. I just dont care about Kamui's character. Im going to make my own personality for the character anyway.