Still can't decide whether to go Hoshido or Nohr first.

SilverPants

168 members have voted

1. 1. Hoshido or Nohr first?

• Hosido
    • Nohr

I need some persuading. Naturally I will be playing both, but I decided to play one path first then the second a little while later to avoid fatigue and to stretch out the experience. The problem is I still can't decide on which path to play first. (Yes I know, "first world problems".)

On one hand I usually like to go with easier or less interesting things first while saving the best for last. I'm the kind of person who saves the cherry on a sundae.

On the other hand I like some of the Nohr characters and the story premise better. Nohr seems more my style and It's definitely the path I'm looking forward to more, but I feel that after I finish it, the Hoshido path won't live up to the Nohr path.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going Hoshido first for the same reasons. It's easier but has the new classes and weapons, so I figure I'll go through it first before getting into the real meat of it with the harder and more exciting Nohr path.

I'm going with Nohr first. I don't care about difficulty as much as I do story, and I want to experience Nohr's story and characters first. Especially after seeing the Tree House footage for the Nohr route. It has me super excited to play it. I'm not concerned about playing the easier version second, either. I know I'll still enjoy it.

I need some persuading. Naturally I will be playing both, but I decided to play one path first then the second a little while later to avoid fatigue and to stretch out the experience. The problem is I still can't decide on which path to play first. (Yes I know, "first world problems".)

On one hand I usually like to go with easier or less interesting things first while saving the best for last. I'm the kind of person who saves the cherry on a sundae.

On the other hand I like some of the Nohr characters and the story premise better. Nohr seems more my style and It's definitely the path I'm looking forward to more, but I feel that after I finish it, the Hoshido path won't live up to the Nohr path.

Bolded: Exactly. That is why I, definitely, still don't know which one I'll start with either.

I'm doing Hoshido first, Nohr second, and the DLC path third.

I've no real reasoning behind it, but I'd recommend it anyways. I'd assume both paths have the same mechanics (such as attack / guard stance), so if you had played Awakening, you could familiarize yourself with the new mechanics by playing the easier route.

DLC does complicate things, as does difficulty settings. DLC is supposed to be set between the two in difficulty, right? Which seems odd, since it sounds best to play it first and gives the impression of a path that could be even more challenging.

If the difficulty levels are like Awakening, I'd want to start with Normal or even Hard, but Hoshido normal to Nohr Hard could be a pretty big jump and then it sounds like the only difficulty increase left past that would be each route's Lunatic.

I'm going with Nohr first.

Sure, gameplay wise, Hoshido is easier, but story wise, Nohr adds quite a bit of variety. You're playing on the side of the bad guys instead of the good guys (Albeit trying to change it from the inside.). Once that typical FE story cycle is broken, then I can go back to the original formula, and still have fun with it.

It took me a while to decide, for many of the same reasons as you, but in the end I decided to go with Nohr first.

Both sides have plenty to offer, but I expect I'll enjoy Nohr more... and after thinking on it, that's one reason to start with it; I want my first impression of Fates to be of the game at its best. The harder difficulty is another, as I will want to play both paths, and I tend to feel burnt out after finishing things I enjoy. Leaving the easier game for last makes it likely I'll get around to it quicker. Third, the characters... I'm expecting Hoshido to present Nohr's characters as straight-up villains more often than not, and I hope that, by playing through Nohr and getting to know them first, the conflict will be more interesting on the other side.

So while Hoshido seemed the obvious first choice, I ended up settling on Nohr.

Hoshido because it has Ryoma. <3 And other cool-looking characters compared to Nohr. It's also easier, so as others said, doing the easier path first might make it more interesting than it would be if you did it second.

I am gonna be playing back to back with both versions so I can get my heart ripped out.However, I would go Hoshido first.

I'm going Nohr first, because I like the characters (Mainly Camilla and Charlotte) more.

What happened, everyone? Nohr always wins these polls. Let's keep it that way.

Edited by Tsunami922

At this rate, I might very well go with Nohr first because, as petty of a reason as it is, I've more readily found a character who seems to (from initial impressions) appeal as a wife for Corrin on that side than on the Hoshido side [the ones that appeal on the Hoshido side are siblings and thus more likely to not be eligible in the first place].

But I don't have a particularly strong preference in terms of the story ramifications of the choice.

I've been in the same dilemma since the very beginning; I'm more interested in the Nohr side of the story (even more so after seeing some of the chapters played during the Tree House sessions, and seeing how much your adopted siblings care for you), but I want to get used to the gameplay first, especially since I'll be playing the Japanese version. I feel like going through the Hoshido side of the story first might be better since it's easier, and also because I'd rather go easy-->hard (so Hoshido-->Nohr). But it's still a tough decision. :/

Edited by Shinshia

I originally thought that I would start with Hoshido just to get used to the new gameplay. But after seeing the gameplay and story samples at E3, I don't think I can wait for Nohr. In the end, though, I'll probably buy whichever version has fewer sales in order to help prop up the series and start with that.

Edited by Sky Soldier

Yeah, I had a tough time deciding at first too. I'm vastly more interested in Nohr's story, characters, and gameplay, but felt like it'd be lackluster going from the hard path to the easy path.

My friend ended up telling me that if I went Hoshido->Nohr I'd probably just spend the whole game wishing that I was playing Nohr instead and it'd spoil the Hoshido route anyway. Looking at it that way...I think she's right. I'd rather have as much fun with it my first time through and not feel like I'm withholding the better experience from myself. Then afterwards I can go into Hoshido and have fun playing it from the other side without feeling like it's just something I need to blaze through to get to the game I'm more excited for.

Thinking about it now, I don't think the difficulty downgrade is going to be too much of an issue for me either. I'm already pretty familiar with the series' mechanics anyway so it's not like I'll need to be eased into the harder mode or anything.